1026 North Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nnnwcorp.com/highlandtap.html
- Phone: 4048753673
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Bert Chapman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Highland Tap
Highland Tap Steak Cellar is Atlanta's premier subterranean hideaway. A haven for local Atlantans since 1989, our stone walls and dimly lit clubby atmosphere is reminiscent of a 1920's speak-easy. Voted Atlanta's Best for Martinis every year since 1989, we offer slow roasted prime rib, hand-cut & wood grilled steaks and fresh seafood as well as burgers, salads and sandwiches. Highland Tap is a timeless venue for any occasion that strives to meet your every expectation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Highland Tap reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (12)special occasion (10)late-night find (9)romantic (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Loved every part of our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014From start to finish our experience was wonderful and would highly recommend this sweet spot to everyone indeed! Much attention is placed in every aspect of your dinning experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014We live in the neighborhood and often eat at Highland Tap. The menu changed - everything is now a la carte - and therefore, much more expensive. The wine list is limited. The bread seemed stale and hard. The food was good - as always. But the changes will make us reconsider going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Reopened and even better..OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Visited on August 16th after they were closed for a week for renovations. The restaurant looks great. Nice to be back at our favorite Atlanta steak restaurant.Special Features:
- EondrnDined on 8/7/2014The food was outstanding and our waiter was very accommodating. We would return next time we are in Atlanta.Special Features:
- Great SpotDiningDivaDined on 7/31/2014My boyfriend and I came here before he left the state and absolutely loved the steak. His favorite food was steak and I had heard about this place on yelp and wanted to see how great it really was and boy did they prove me right. He loved the prime rib and I really enjoyed my ny strip. Our waiter was awesome. I believe his name was Michael. He continuously checked on us and made sure everything was okay. My bf enjoyed it and we can't wait to go back for seconds! Also, the valet parking is easy to deal with so that no one ever struggles with parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedFLfoodiesVIPDined on 7/19/2014We booked a reservation with the thought that this was a great hot spot with good food in Virginia Highlands. It was dark and dingy. The food was very poor, they were out of our first choices. The vegetables were steamed with no taste. This was a very disappointing experience while we were on vacation. I would not recommend this restaurant at all.
- Mixed ReviewLstyleDined on 7/11/2014I wasn't sure if I should be concerned when they had so many openings on a Friday night, but I went ahead and scheduled a last minute reservation. They were very nice and accommodating for our party and my food (the gorgonzola filet) was really good, but two of the others in my party didn't like their food. The service was good, but definitely hurried us along and the noise level didn't make it feel like a great dining experience. I would say this would be perfect for a group of dudes wanting big steaks, beer, and a quick dinner before a night on the town.Special Features:
- would I go back???bevyDined on 7/4/2014My fiancé loved the steak, he said it was cooked prefect and the best steak he's had in a long time. my dish was good but wasn't easy for a vegetarian like myself when there's only one thing to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJulieDined on 6/25/2014I have been going to Highland Tap since I first moved to Atlanta almost 30 years ago... And, it's ALWAYS been great for steaks and martinis - IT STILL IS! Apparently the prime rib is just as outstanding (according to several in my party)! I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant and its staff - they're GREAT!Special Features:
- Great bene!Lili4uDined on 5/25/2014Beautifully presented and scrumptious filet benedict with tenderloin filet, poached eggs and béarnaise…great house potatoes, tooSpecial Features:
- MikeDined on 5/24/2014Good Chicken dinner, good salads, but my wife's Filet was not cooked correctly initially, and several subsequent tries to get it right were unsuccessful. That was disappointing part of dinner.Special Features:
- The following 446 reviews are from the Highland Tap reviews archive.
- Cool spot but food lacksLateDined on 4/26/2014Definitely a cool neighborhood spot, with a killer bar and tons of ambience. The food is what sinks the place. I had the special of the evening, ribs, which were way overcooked and drizzled with an unremarkable sauce. The others at the table had the petite filets, and while they looked great, they complained of them being cold. I would give the place another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceluvhighlandtap1Dined on 4/25/2014Server was awesome and had a great knowledge of vodka! The prime rib was the best I have ever eaten in Atlanta.Special Features:
- love the TapkristaDined on 4/18/2014We love the Highland Tap. My surf and turf was delicious. THe beet salad outstanding. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014I had visited Highland Tap 5 years ago and remember it as one of my favorite dinner spots around Atlanta. I looked forward to a similar experience again, and was disappointed. For the price, the food was good but not great. Each dish was not as hot as we would have liked, or smaller than expected, and despite the fact that our bill for dinner for 3 topped out over $200, we were charged $1 for a small bowl of grated Parmesan cheese to go with bread and oil. I was embarrassed for the waiter. We will not be going back. Rich
- Handled our group of fiveCimoDined on 4/8/2014Handled our group of five very well, extremely accommodating when I called to say plane was running late and we would be late for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great HideawayLisaVIPDined on 4/1/2014Highland Tap has always been one of my favorite places. The steaks are great and mine was cooked to perfection! I love it so much that I went there twice in one week. Second time I had the crabcakes and they did not disappoint. Delicious with a tangy mustard sauce and very little filling. Add a couple of their famous martinis and it is a great night out.Special Features:
- Not so goodCharlieDined on 3/28/2014Steak we're not great, prime rib was excellent service was Waffle House style, not worth writing home about. Used to be a great place but seems to have fallen short.
- Avoid BrunchDanielaVIPDined on 3/23/2014I went here for brunch and was thoroughly dissapointed. Our waiter had no idea about ANYTHING and it took about 20 minutes to even get our drinks. The food was microwaved and over cooked. If you can, go somewhere else!
- Highland TapFoodieExtraordinaire2VIPDined on 3/22/2014I was a little disappointed with the food. The salads are much smaller than they used to be and the filet didn't have much flavor. I've eaten there for 20 years and this is my first fair dinner. I will go back because I love the place, but probably not as often. The service was great, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks/Great ServiceBillDined on 3/15/2014After three visits I can't complain about a thing. The food has been good and consistant and each time the service has been excellent.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Virgina/Highlands PlaceWillnGarrickVIPDined on 3/6/2014I have been going to "The Tap" for years and what I love about it is how consistent it is. It magically never changes and it allows me to step back in time and remember my past, yet it also is so incredibly classic it still feels current and hip. Of course, we go for the food and drinks and they are excellent and affordable. It is unique in that it is a cellar style steak house with heavy stone walls which gives the dining room a pleasant dim and sultry atmosphere. I love this place, check it out.Special Features:
- SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Steaks and prime rib are to die for. The sides, not so much. Filet was perfectly cooked and the prime rib was very tender. Jalapeno grits were good. Mac and cheese leaves something to be desired. Cheese wasn't sharp enough, it was a little bland. Pimento cheese appetizer was very good and peppery, a twist on regular pimento. Definitely would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a casual placeTinaBDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I were looking for a casual place to unwind on a Saturday night and we found it in Highland Tap. We did the Porterhouse for two, and it was so good!!! We can't wait to come back to try the brunch and the many other cuts of meat they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beet saladLarryDined on 2/21/2014Highland Tap had the best beet salad, fresh beets goat cheese the salad I had last evening must have been from a jar. Tough small chopped beets, greens not fresh. Service was a bit distracted, a little rude. I selected the mussels app. Again inconsistent with previous visits. Not sure what is going on here?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sub par food and bad serviceSBloodDined on 2/21/2014Would not go here again to eat. Service was terrible as lady never mentioned specials and then avoided us when we asked questions. When specifically asked about changing order by finding out on our own there was a special, She NEVER returned until after our order delivered by someone else. Additionally, the food quality and preparation was sub-par. ONLY go for drinks here!!
- Great place in the HighlandsFrequentEaterDined on 2/21/2014Have been to the Highland Tap twice, just my wife and I the first time and with another couple the second time. The experiences were, in a word, "perfect". The beer was ice-cold, the choices of wine were more than adequate, and the food - from appetizers to desserts - was excellent. The atmosphere is perfect for a date night; right size, great ambience, at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Worst steak I've ever eaten.ATLFoodieDined on 2/15/2014We had even here before and I had gotten the same thing as I ordered this time. I ha the 12 oz Tap Filet. Not a joke, it was like eating a backyard hamburger. $37! I can cook a better steak at home on an electric stovetop (I have many times and just did tonight). The waitress took forever to actually take our orders and slightly badgered us to order other stuff. Overall it was the worst piece of meat I've ever had. Not worth any amount of money. Place is very dark and old timey inside too.Special Features:
- GreatWesJes30Dined on 2/14/2014Great steaks and great food. Would go here again with no questions asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steaksseniordinersDined on 1/18/2014The main dishes were excellent. The side items left much to b desired. One of our part sent the green beans back for being badly undercooked. I ordered the au gain potatoes that were loaded with a spice (thyme, I thnk) that was not appetizing at all. We were served one roll and butter for our table of four. While we did thoroughly enjoy the steaks. I left the establishment still hungry after dinner. Wewill try this restaurant again and hope for better side items. (Dinner incldes only one. )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make it a Good TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2014Our visit was a girlfriends' gathering to introduce them to Highland Tap. I visited before and felt it was great atmosphere, great food, great service, and a great find for the ladies to consider for other occasions. When we arrived, there were few diners and the place quickly filled. The host who seated us was very gracious and pleasant. Energetic atmosphere and could be romantic.Special Features:
- good food, good timeKimP31Dined on 1/12/2014Highland Tap is not super glamorous but I've always enjoyed a good meal for a decent price. Plus the martini's rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not aging wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/11/2014I've been going to HT for years and it became our "go to" restaurant. It was nearby, really good food, good atmosphere, and always reliable. Our last few times there have been disappointing. They continue to take things off the menu, reduce the wine list, and the quality of the food has decreased. This time, my wife and I both ordered steaks and they were not good pieces of meat. Sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Handling of Food SensitivityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/11/2014I have a sensitivity to corn. Most of the restaurants I go to appreciate the laminated card listing foods I can't eat that I share with waitstaff to take back to the chef to determine what is okay to order off the menu. On this occasion, the waiter looked at the card like he'd never seen anything like it before and, in addition to not listening to what I was saying or reading what's on the card, he said "we have vegetables and can cook things without butter." I have no problem eating butter and appreciate that they have vegetables, but that didn't really address the issue. It was clear the server had not been trained on how to handle food sensitivities, so I'd advise anyone with a sensitivity or allergy to go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good and reliableatlantapeachDined on 1/11/2014Highland Tap doesn't disappoint - good food, good bartenders, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATL "go-to" restaurant is fadingATL30309Dined on 1/6/2014What use to be a "go-to" restaurant destination in VA-HI is no longer what it used to be. My last meal did have good calamari and the side of jalapeno grits was great, but the Prime Rib was tough as leather. The service was OK but not warm or friendly. There are too many good restaurants in ATL to take a chance here anymore. Sorry but you have dropped off my "go-to" list, Highland Tap.
- Best steaks and burgers in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Always a great bar scene and steak have a wood burning flavor that is perfectly cooked to perfection. Great for group settings, dates for couples. Try the martinis!! Excellent place all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall underwhelmingbwcatlVIPDined on 12/31/2013Both my fiance & I had dined at Highland Tap before, and went back hoping for a similar experience. We were sat by the fireplace which was nice. Overall it was just ok. Issues: 1. We both ordered med rare filets and they were not cooked the same. One is what we consider M.R., the other medium. 2. The server did not return quickly to check if they were cooked to our satisfaction. 3. I asked about how the Brussels sprouts were prepared, and was told they were pan seared with bacon. That made me want to order them, when they arrived they were steamed without bacon and with little to no seasoning. 4. Further, the waitress didn't even acknowledge that the sprouts were not as described. Nothing awful but no reason to go back.
- always greatJessicaDined on 12/31/2013Nothing trendy, just a long-time neighborhood staple, with outstanding martinis and good food.Special Features:
- A Virgina Highland IconOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/20/2013I have been dining at the Highland Tap since 1989. It has maintained it's uniqueness through the years. Great atmosphere and excellent food, especially their steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.