1026 North Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nnnwcorp.com/highlandtap.html
- Phone: (404) 875-3673
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Michael Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Highland Tap
Highland Tap Steak Cellar is Atlanta's premier subterranean hideaway. A haven for local Atlantans since 1989, our stone walls and dimly lit clubby atmosphere is reminiscent of a 1920's speak-easy. Voted Atlanta's Best for Martinis every year since 1989, we offer slow roasted prime rib, hand-cut & wood grilled steaks and fresh seafood as well as burgers, salads and sandwiches. Highland Tap is a timeless venue for any occasion that strives to meet your every expectation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Highland Tap reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (10)good for groups (8)special occasion (8)late-night find (7)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Even better nowHairdVIPDined on 11/10/2014Recent renovations and a slight tweak to the menu have continued to make this one of my favorite places in town. The burgers are still fabulous. And I really appreciate the upgraded draft beer list. Combining beer in one of my favorite foods, banana bread, is sheer brilliance.Special Features:
- Food not up to the hypeesha13Dined on 11/1/2014While this is a bar first and foremost, they advertise their steaks and other food. Both mine and my date's choices were prepared incorrectly (his prime rib was tough yet under-cooked, my fish was over cooked and served with the wrong sides), thrown on the plate, and very over priced for what what provided. We were disappointed and dissatisfied. The server, however, was prompt and friendly.
- Neighborhood GemLaVeriteVIPDined on 10/25/2014This neighborhood gem is still going strong. I hadn't been in over 5 years and it was as good as ever. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- What Happened?YankeeDINERVIPDined on 10/17/2014Have not been to the Highland Tap in a over a year. This place has become more of a "bar" than restaurant. Steak was good but not as tender as in past visits. Our waiter, who has been there for a long time, was very good but we felt rushed; main course served while we were still eating our salads. Menu has been changed to offer more "bar foods" so I guess that's the new direction for this once great place to go for a wonderful steak.
- Great Portion SizesYeOldeFoodDined on 10/16/2014This place has smaller than average portion sizes, which is surprising at first. However, the portion sizes are perfect for ensuring that one does not overeat. Additionally, I was able to save room for dessert, which was delicious. This restaurant is a little pricy, but worth the cost due to a friendly staff and tasty food. It is a great place for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy like a cavecfooddietVIPDined on 10/3/2014It's not fine dining, but if you want attentive service, good food at a reasonable price with an excellent bar, this is the place. Free valet parking in back makes up for the difficulty in finding a place to park in Virginia Highland.Special Features:
- HTap1Dined on 9/27/2014Just North of "Little Five Points" Highland Tap is a basement restaurant. It has a rustic décor encompassing old stone masonry, aged wood and a ceiling comprised of painted plumbing from the bar above. I had a reservation for 6:30 on a Saturday night but surprisingly could have walked in and been seated. Respectively I had the prime rib with baked potato while my date had the same but with the addition of the butter poached lobster. All of the food was cooked perfectly and the service was prompt and polite. Definitely a place I will return to and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good findCarobrwnDined on 9/18/2014Interesting place below an actual bar. The steak served Oscar style was good...would have been better if the temperature had been warmer. Nice quiet atmosphere...gets noisy the later you are there because it is also a bar. Felt a little rushed by the waiter even though they weren't very crowded. I'd give it another try for sure...decently priced as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Highland TapemhowellDined on 9/7/2014Although we were the first table at 12:30, the food was awesome. I'm surprised it wasn't more crowded. I love coming here for dinner and will be coming back for brunch again! After brunch we moved into the bar to watch the Falcon's game - ended up becoming a nice little Sunday.Special Features:
- Nothing specialeater09Dined on 9/6/2014Our waiter was gruff and the food was so-so. Also, I have a food sensitivity and the waiter did not instill confidence that the food I was eating was free of the products I cannot eat. The only great thing about this place is the bar scene and the fact that it's easy to get a table, but there's a reason for that.Special Features:
- Cozy classic with a twistMichaelSDined on 9/4/2014Walking down the steps into the steak cellar, you instantly feel comfortable and welcomed. Love slipping into a booth, ordering a martini and a steak. The Stout steak is a go to. But the Prime Rib really brings it home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitDobieGDined on 8/30/2014Great find with OUTSTANDING service by a mature, professional staff. Wait staff was 30/40/50 something and quite refreshing from the "OMG what will you" have kids. I will comment on the food we ordered. French onion soup good. Prime rib x 3 excellent. Grill rib eye with blue cheese excellent. Baked potato nicely salted and perfect. Au gratin potatoes were bland and below average but still edible. Very nice dinner and I would go back again without hesitation. Dined 8/30/14Special Features:
- Loved every part of our experiencePowersDined on 8/24/2014From start to finish our experience was wonderful and would highly recommend this sweet spot to everyone indeed! Much attention is placed in every aspect of your dinning experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014We live in the neighborhood and often eat at Highland Tap. The menu changed - everything is now a la carte - and therefore, much more expensive. The wine list is limited. The bread seemed stale and hard. The food was good - as always. But the changes will make us reconsider going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Reopened and even better..OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Visited on August 16th after they were closed for a week for renovations. The restaurant looks great. Nice to be back at our favorite Atlanta steak restaurant.Special Features:
- EondrnDined on 8/7/2014The food was outstanding and our waiter was very accommodating. We would return next time we are in Atlanta.Special Features:
- Great SpotDiningDivaDined on 7/31/2014My boyfriend and I came here before he left the state and absolutely loved the steak. His favorite food was steak and I had heard about this place on yelp and wanted to see how great it really was and boy did they prove me right. He loved the prime rib and I really enjoyed my ny strip. Our waiter was awesome. I believe his name was Michael. He continuously checked on us and made sure everything was okay. My bf enjoyed it and we can't wait to go back for seconds! Also, the valet parking is easy to deal with so that no one ever struggles with parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 454 reviews are from the Highland Tap reviews archive.
- Not what we expectedFLfoodiesVIPDined on 7/19/2014We booked a reservation with the thought that this was a great hot spot with good food in Virginia Highlands. It was dark and dingy. The food was very poor, they were out of our first choices. The vegetables were steamed with no taste. This was a very disappointing experience while we were on vacation. I would not recommend this restaurant at all.
- Mixed ReviewLstyleDined on 7/11/2014I wasn't sure if I should be concerned when they had so many openings on a Friday night, but I went ahead and scheduled a last minute reservation. They were very nice and accommodating for our party and my food (the gorgonzola filet) was really good, but two of the others in my party didn't like their food. The service was good, but definitely hurried us along and the noise level didn't make it feel like a great dining experience. I would say this would be perfect for a group of dudes wanting big steaks, beer, and a quick dinner before a night on the town.Special Features:
- would I go back???bevyDined on 7/4/2014My fiancé loved the steak, he said it was cooked prefect and the best steak he's had in a long time. my dish was good but wasn't easy for a vegetarian like myself when there's only one thing to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJulieDined on 6/25/2014I have been going to Highland Tap since I first moved to Atlanta almost 30 years ago... And, it's ALWAYS been great for steaks and martinis - IT STILL IS! Apparently the prime rib is just as outstanding (according to several in my party)! I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant and its staff - they're GREAT!Special Features:
- Great bene!Lili4uDined on 5/25/2014Beautifully presented and scrumptious filet benedict with tenderloin filet, poached eggs and béarnaise…great house potatoes, tooSpecial Features:
- MikeDined on 5/24/2014Good Chicken dinner, good salads, but my wife's Filet was not cooked correctly initially, and several subsequent tries to get it right were unsuccessful. That was disappointing part of dinner.Special Features:
- Not BadStepitupDined on 5/11/2014The Waiter was great. Explained dishes. Helped with substitutes. Good Vibe. I'd like to go back again at night to check the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Cool spot but food lacksLateDined on 4/26/2014Definitely a cool neighborhood spot, with a killer bar and tons of ambience. The food is what sinks the place. I had the special of the evening, ribs, which were way overcooked and drizzled with an unremarkable sauce. The others at the table had the petite filets, and while they looked great, they complained of them being cold. I would give the place another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceluvhighlandtap1Dined on 4/25/2014Server was awesome and had a great knowledge of vodka! The prime rib was the best I have ever eaten in Atlanta.Special Features:
- love the TapkristaDined on 4/18/2014We love the Highland Tap. My surf and turf was delicious. THe beet salad outstanding. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014I had visited Highland Tap 5 years ago and remember it as one of my favorite dinner spots around Atlanta. I looked forward to a similar experience again, and was disappointed. For the price, the food was good but not great. Each dish was not as hot as we would have liked, or smaller than expected, and despite the fact that our bill for dinner for 3 topped out over $200, we were charged $1 for a small bowl of grated Parmesan cheese to go with bread and oil. I was embarrassed for the waiter. We will not be going back. Rich
- Handled our group of fiveCimoDined on 4/8/2014Handled our group of five very well, extremely accommodating when I called to say plane was running late and we would be late for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great HideawayLisaVIPDined on 4/1/2014Highland Tap has always been one of my favorite places. The steaks are great and mine was cooked to perfection! I love it so much that I went there twice in one week. Second time I had the crabcakes and they did not disappoint. Delicious with a tangy mustard sauce and very little filling. Add a couple of their famous martinis and it is a great night out.Special Features:
- Not so goodCharlieDined on 3/28/2014Steak we're not great, prime rib was excellent service was Waffle House style, not worth writing home about. Used to be a great place but seems to have fallen short.
- Avoid BrunchDanielaVIPDined on 3/23/2014I went here for brunch and was thoroughly dissapointed. Our waiter had no idea about ANYTHING and it took about 20 minutes to even get our drinks. The food was microwaved and over cooked. If you can, go somewhere else!
- Highland TapFoodieExtraordinaire2VIPDined on 3/22/2014I was a little disappointed with the food. The salads are much smaller than they used to be and the filet didn't have much flavor. I've eaten there for 20 years and this is my first fair dinner. I will go back because I love the place, but probably not as often. The service was great, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks/Great ServiceBillDined on 3/15/2014After three visits I can't complain about a thing. The food has been good and consistant and each time the service has been excellent.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Virgina/Highlands PlaceWillnGarrickVIPDined on 3/6/2014I have been going to "The Tap" for years and what I love about it is how consistent it is. It magically never changes and it allows me to step back in time and remember my past, yet it also is so incredibly classic it still feels current and hip. Of course, we go for the food and drinks and they are excellent and affordable. It is unique in that it is a cellar style steak house with heavy stone walls which gives the dining room a pleasant dim and sultry atmosphere. I love this place, check it out.Special Features:
- SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Steaks and prime rib are to die for. The sides, not so much. Filet was perfectly cooked and the prime rib was very tender. Jalapeno grits were good. Mac and cheese leaves something to be desired. Cheese wasn't sharp enough, it was a little bland. Pimento cheese appetizer was very good and peppery, a twist on regular pimento. Definitely would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a casual placeTinaBDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I were looking for a casual place to unwind on a Saturday night and we found it in Highland Tap. We did the Porterhouse for two, and it was so good!!! We can't wait to come back to try the brunch and the many other cuts of meat they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beet saladLarryDined on 2/21/2014Highland Tap had the best beet salad, fresh beets goat cheese the salad I had last evening must have been from a jar. Tough small chopped beets, greens not fresh. Service was a bit distracted, a little rude. I selected the mussels app. Again inconsistent with previous visits. Not sure what is going on here?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sub par food and bad serviceSBloodDined on 2/21/2014Would not go here again to eat. Service was terrible as lady never mentioned specials and then avoided us when we asked questions. When specifically asked about changing order by finding out on our own there was a special, She NEVER returned until after our order delivered by someone else. Additionally, the food quality and preparation was sub-par. ONLY go for drinks here!!
- Great place in the HighlandsFrequentEaterDined on 2/21/2014Have been to the Highland Tap twice, just my wife and I the first time and with another couple the second time. The experiences were, in a word, "perfect". The beer was ice-cold, the choices of wine were more than adequate, and the food - from appetizers to desserts - was excellent. The atmosphere is perfect for a date night; right size, great ambience, at a reasonable price.Special Features: