Highland Place Bar and Grill
5 Highland Place
Maplewood, NJ 07040Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Highland Place Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlandplacesteak.com/
- Phone: 9737633083
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Dan Dandino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Trays of food can be picked up or delivered.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties up to 100 people depending on time/day. Smaller parties can be accommodated in curtained or partitioned area.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Farrow 9737633083
- Entertainment: From karaoke in mid-week to the hottest local and regional bands on the weekend and an open mic on Sunday nights.
A word from Highland Place Bar and Grill
Highland Place Bar and Grill is home to delicious steaks and chops cooked on a wood-burning grill, affordable family meals, and the best burger in the tri-state area! Hot live music on the weekends. Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Maplewood Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Highland Place Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (3)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Has become a family favorite!hugjenDined on 5/11/2014This neighborhood gem has become our favorite for both special occasions and a last-minute week night dinner out. The bacon wrapped dates are AMAZING! We frequently make a meal of ordering just from the tapas and appetizer menus. They have lighter bar fare as well as gourmet "foodie" dinners. My son gets the Steak Frites every time because it is so tasty. Give them a try, we eat here frequently and often take out of town guests. We've never been disappointed, except when we couldn't get reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Highland Place Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- MenuBrunoDined on 2/14/2014I think a good restaurant has a limited menu where the chef is really on top of the cuisine. Long menus tend not to produce good results. I suggest you focus more on quality and not quantity. My lamb chops were not good. The salad had seen better days. Waitresses and waiters are good. We need a gopd local restaurant with reasonable prices. I'm coming back but not for the lamb chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was varied. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2014The menu was varied. The food was good. My only negative comment is that the portions, for the money charged, are way, way too small. Nachos for 8 dollars was 4 chips with delicious smoked chicken but at $2 per - definitely not worth it. Same with the bacon wrapped figs. my friend had scallops and, while you usually expect half a dozen, there were 3... If you are looking for value - forget it. Otherwise, we had a nice evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This location has had at leastJoelDined on 9/12/2013This location has had at least 6 owners in the years that I have lived in the town. This current owner is one of the best. The staff is pleasant and well trained. Someone checked on our server, to make sure she was doing the job properly. We were 6 guys, and there was enough help to get our food out at the same time. The dinner was quite nice. I had salmon and found it sufficiently moist, with interesting seasoning. I also had a caesar salad, which was done nicely and tasted as if they had made it from scratch. [Boo to all the places that simply pour dressing on shredded lettuce.] The price point is excellent, and our gang of guys [all ex-Scout dads] plan to make this a regular gathering place. PS: They make a great martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for the experiencelocayokelDined on 9/7/2013Six of us had dinner here. Ambiance is dank - lighting is not mood lighting,it' s poor. The minimalist décor left us cold, no interest in a windowless room. Salad and main meal were quite good. Sides were ala carte, and the main dish prices were high. Coffee came well after dessert. The peanut butter pie was bad, sawdust crust, strange after taste in the peanut butter. Apple pie was a sliver, I was embarrassed to see it on the plate. I was disappointed to pay so much, $400, and leave unhappy. Work on desserts! Servers were pleasant but forgot us after dinner. Their prices are high and they should serve sides with the meal - they do not compare to a Morton's, and shouldn't price themselves that way. I don't plan to return.
- Something for everyonehugjenDined on 8/24/2013While some of the recommendation categories seem to contradict each other, Highland Place provides for a varied clientele. Their bar seating and sidewalk tables were filled with families early in the evening, while our table in the dining room was cozy, quiet and relaxing. They also host live music on some nights, so check the website first if you are looking for a quiet romantic night. The food has always been fabulous. It varies from home cooking/bar food (burgers, sandwiches, mac & cheese) to gourmet (amazing inventive appetizers, cocktails, tapas and entrees). Highland Place is a family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spent over $200 for 4 people.crseaDined on 7/13/2013Spent over $200 for 4 people. $30 Rib Eyes were not top quality. Tough & full of fat. Bar and front of restaurant are nice but the back is a mess!!!
- High notes and one low noteTastebudDined on 6/22/2013Service was great. The buffalo calamari was an inventive spin. The bacon wrapped dates were a treat. the shrimp po boy tasted like a basic grilled shrimp sanwhich - tasted fine but didn't detect any cajun/creole spices at all. The rib eye special was way overcooked relative to the medium rare order. But the management did not hesitate to make it right. Cocunut cake was a nice end to the meal. Good beer list on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAC33VIPDined on 6/6/2013Despite friendly service, dinner for our family of 6 was a disappointment. The drinks were inexpertly made (i can count on one hand the times Ive had a bad martini and this was one of them); the food took forever to come out; and when it did, it was ok but far from worth the prices paid. The desserts were especially disappointing, a cake described by our waiter as "fluffy" was dense to the point of needing a knife to cut it. We are big supporters of local businesses and love eating in our hometown of Maplewood; unfortunately Highland Place will not get our return business for dinner.
- Highland Place just okjohndDined on 6/1/2013It had been a few years since I ate at Highland Place after having a disappointing experience the previous trip. For a restaurant that promotes itself as a steakhouse, the steaks are just ok. I ordered filet mignon and it was nothing special. My other friends ordered different steaks and basically said the same thing. The mac and cheese was beyond bland. Nothing terrible, but it's just average.
- a great local venue with goodsteveDined on 3/16/2013a great local venue with good food and a good crowd.Special Features:
- Perfect place for large orOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Perfect place for large or small groups. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. In addition, they had a great band. We would highly recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Very unattentive server. FeltOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013Very unattentive server. Felt unwelcome throughout whole meal. The steaks were good, but for $30 a piece I would have at least expected bread for the table.Special Features:
- Long Wait for FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/26/2013Unfortunately, did not live up to my expectations. Part of the problem might have been that we were on a deadline as we had concert tickets (but did allot 90 minutes to the meal. The entree still had not been provided after an hour of waiting (we did have a salad and rolls). Our waitress kept us updated on what was happening in the kitchen, but being "plated" was still 15 minutes more. When the food did arrive, it was good, but we had to quickly eat it or pack it up to go. I ate, my wife had it packed. I also was not that pleased with the layout which is part bar and part restaurant. The ambiance did not go with the prices. I wanted to like it, but won't return.
- Think twice before going.TheFinickyCatDined on 1/12/2013Thought the it would be better than it was because it was located in downtown Maplewood, wow was I wrong. Not sure if it is a bar or restaurant. The food as OK, we had the porter house to be safe, which was mediocre We noticed a little poster advertising family dinner discount on week days, we found this a turn off as we thought it would be a higher class restaurant based on the price and advertising. The wait staff were hanging out as if their shift was over, but it was only 8pm. Not going back anytime soon for a romantic evening again.Special Features:
- Great place to meet friendsEdwardVIPDined on 1/6/2013I always enjoy HIGHLAND PLACE because it seems like the best place to run into your friends. They have a good bar scene and plenty of tables for dinner. I also had a special occasion for my mom when we booked the restaurant for a lunch and they were great. They have a stage in the back of the restaurant for special events and my family and I have been to a variety of them. We love the place!Special Features:
- The problem with the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2012The problem with the restaurant is the entree is hot but the sides are cold. We told them that the sides were cold they apologized took the sides and returned only slightly warmer. Of course we would not ask for them to go back again. It's a shame because it's a lovely place but you can't serve cold or slightly heated food. I hope they can remedy the situation.
- Great service and really deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2012Great service and really delicious food. Portions were a good size and the ambience was lovely. The town of Maplewood is also a great town to stroll, shop and have dinner.Special Features:
- It was not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012It was not a good experience mistakes with the order uneven service coffe cold and the restaurant was too chilly once the music started it was impossible to carry on conversation.
- Great Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2012Had a great dinner last night with a group of 5 friends. We had a cocktail at the bar to start -- the bartender was great and had us laughing. We warned the hostess that we might be loud and perhaps they could seat us away from other tables. They gave us a great spot in the back and we ordered a number of appetizers and tapas. The neat nachos are very good (be warned, they are a small plate -- only 4 tortilla chips loaded with chicken and guac but so tasty) and had a second order of them. The beet salad and the pear salad were also very good as well as the homemade chips with hot blue cheese dip. We were going to order entrees but were actually satisfied with all the tapas. The steaks looked and smelled very good. Next time!Special Features:
- A Local FaveRichardBDined on 7/8/2012Highland Place remains one of my favorite Maplewood restaurants. Friendly and informal, the food is always good and the staff are always friendly. Live music, karaoke and a fun bar scene make this a fun place to hang out.Special Features:
- A very nice casual restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012A very nice casual restaurant. Great for a friendly date or a easy night out.Special Features:
- Service was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2012Service was excellent, the food was great. We got there for an early dinner and were quickly seated and provided water and bread.The drinks and appetizer came quickly and the meal arrived at just the right time. Will be coming back.Special Features:
- this was a second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2012this was a second visit to this location. My first visit the dinner was amazing, I live in the town and stopped by for dinner with a couple of local friends. However, Ive decided to bring my husband back for dinner and we found the food being very bland. The server was very pleasant, however the workers could look more presentable. The girls (guys)wore jeans shirts, skinny jeans and looked like they just rolled out of a high school classroom. When I go out to dinner to a "Nice" restaurant I like to dress up and feel I fit the ambiance I've seen in the restaurants online photos.Special Features:
- Couldn't handle the crowdatrollopeDined on 4/28/2012Couldn't handle the crowd they had on Saturday night. Kitchen was slow and my chicken, which might have been great, was cooked til dry. I have been here on less busy nights and the kitchen did much better. Good neighborhood restaurant, but they need help in the kitchen and with the wait staff.Special Features:
- Service was atrocious. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/28/2012Service was atrocious. Food wasn't bad but would have been much better if it was not brought out cold--that is, when they remembered to put in the order in the first place.Special Features:
- Birthday funOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012My family and I decided to go to this restaurant for my moms 55th birthday, the staff were very nice, our waiter very friendly and helpful. Food was great and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- Highland Place is a localpak54VIPDined on 4/13/2012Highland Place is a local restaurant that has a warm and relaxed atmosphere. The service was good our server very friendly . The menu was standard nothing stood out. Prices were moderate. Fried calamari was good, dates with blue cheese and bacon good. Spanish tortilla was good with potatoes and ham. Entree winner was steak frites. Nicely glazed and marinated shirt steak. Lamb chops were ok not very flavorful. Wine list looked ok no great selection. If I was in Maplewood I would stop in again.
- Highland PlacesteveDined on 4/4/2012great bar and lounge with a great crowd. good for live music. regular menu and great bar menu. best value in town.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent music!!!njcooltechieDined on 2/25/2012Good food, excellent music!!! What a night of fun and good food.Special Features:
- Great food, friends and music.AnneDined on 2/24/2012As locals we have many restaurants to choose from, but we always head back to Highland Place for great food and a friendly evening out. Chris provides some great live music events, and the Quiz & Karaoke nights are fun!Special Features:
- We went on Fat Tuesday andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2012We went on Fat Tuesday and saw a fantastic New Orleans band (Mambu?) The atomosphere was great, we were seated across from the fireplace and had tapas and drinks. I would definetley return.Special Features:
- This place seemed like itrichVIPDined on 2/18/2012This place seemed like it was new. I was there on a saturday night, We got there around 7:30 and I think the live music started around coffee time. So they had a band to play live music. My steak was excellent. Wine was ok. Not too pricey. Has a fireplace.Special Features:
- Great Service excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Overall Highland Place was an excellent place to eat out for Valentine's Day. We were also celebrating my girlfriend's 21st birthday and the waiter made an excellent recommendation for wine since I am not to much of a connoisseur.The Waiter and Manager were very accommodating to my girlfriends allergies making sure we were informed of the ingredients of both the food and wine. The food was excellent and I highly recommend the Rack of Lamb. We arrived almost 20 minutes early to our 8 o clock reservation but they were still able to seat us early so they didn't have us waiting. overall I was very impressed and highly recommend Highland Place for you and your loved one.Special Features:
- Due to Valentine's day theyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Due to Valentine's day they were busy, but the staff remained professional and courtesous. Although our food took a little longer than normal (one person ordered a steak well done) the waiter didnt stop by our table and provide a update on our food, and the kitchen ran out of apple pie! The waiter explained that due to the "holiday" they were extremely busy all day. We were a little saddened and enjoyed our evening anyway. Otherwise, the resteraunt decor was nice romantic vibe, but also great for small families, great ambiance, and the food was delicious! I would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Always have a great time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2012Always have a great time at Highland Place. Great food and wonderful service.
- Waited 1 hour to get our mainOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/14/2012Waited 1 hour to get our main course!! Food was good but way overproced for what we got
- Upscale but relaxed ambienceRichVIPDined on 2/10/2012Upscale but relaxed ambience that works for both adults and children, good food, and very good service. While primarily known as a steakhouse, the menu runs the gamut from the usual pub favorites like burgers and fish & chips to steaks. Soups and salads were very tasty; burgers were a slightly overcooked (ordered medium, arrived at table medium well to well) but tasty and flavorful regardless. Our server Pavel was well above average - friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Overall, a solid choice in Maplewood for either a casual night out or special night out with friends and/or family.Special Features:
- Nicely surprisednjcooltechieDined on 1/21/2012We had a party of 7 and everyone was happy, which can be hard to do. Great food and nice selection of beers on tap. We plan on becoming a frequent quest of this establishment.Special Features:
- A wide menu from bar foodStateguyVIPDined on 1/21/2012A wide menu from bar food to gourmet, plus a nice wine list and great service. You can eat at the bar too. This is a neighborhood gem.Special Features: