12857 Highland Road
Highland, MD 20777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highlandinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4432763202x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5pm-9:30pm ; Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
Closed Saturday Lunch for Private Parties & Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilbur Cox Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Highland Inn
Welcome to Highland Inn! Our menu focuses on seasonal foods and purity of flavors, using only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients and utilizing sustainable foods from local farmers whenever possible. Highland Inn offers a wine list personally selected by Proprietor Brian Boston to complement our menu. Our goal is for every bottle of wine to be of great quality, regardless of price. We have a wide variety of wines by the glass as well as an interesting array of domestic, imported and craft beers. At Highland Inn, guest service is very important. We strive to ensure our servers are friendly, knowledgeable and professional; building long-lasting relationships with our guests is paramount. Our logo is meant to reflect diversity, strength and deep roots in the community. It also speaks to our commitment of being a certified green restaurant. In making our purchasing decisions, the impact on the environment plays a fundamental role.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Highland Inn - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Highland Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (72)romantic (68)notable wine list (58)great for outdoor dining (50)scenic view (43)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (23)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Great dining experience. Will definitely go back. Intimate environment and great food. The tri-tips steak was just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodBramsDined on 8/29/2014A total gem for this area and eating outside made the experience even better. The charred octopus was phenomenal and unbelievably tender. Sauces were very complementary to the mains and added a lot to the dishes.Special Features:
- Excellent ChefcarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal at Highland Inn. The location is charming and the food was great. The wine list included many reasonably priced bottles. There were some missteps. The hostess showed us to our table for three only to find it occupied. She mumbled an apology and returned us to the front while they reset another table. Our waiter, while attentive forgot to have the kitchen plate the 8 oz filet mignon that my mother-in-law and I were sharing. Overall worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FIND IN THE COUNTRYIrnieVIPDined on 8/25/2014We visited last week after a business meeting. Really not very far from Olney. Beautiful setting with magnificiently done decor. Menu was somewhat eclectic but my wife and I were able to find two very tasty entrees. The duck two ways was outstanding.Special Features:
- Delicious!OutstandingDined on 8/24/2014Quality experience in all aspects - attentive, knowledgable and friendly waiter (John) - excellent service and delicious food served in a timely manner with great presentation - have recommended this restaurant to friends and i will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backBruceVIPDined on 8/23/2014we were seated in a small room with three tables it was very comfortable, the food was really nice. A very good mixture of flavors on the plate. The grilled octopus was outstanding. Yes we would go backSpecial Features:
- Dessert? Not so muchCarolynDined on 8/22/2014Dinner was very good and the service outstanding. Dessert not so much. The highly recommended carrot cake was waxy and served ice cold. A disappointment for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening outmom2boyzDined on 8/21/2014I really enjoyed Highland Inn. The service was attentive and friendly. The food was delicious. The shrimp and grits are outstanding. Look forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall enjoyable.PatGDined on 8/21/2014Food flavors were notable. One steak done more than med rare, but tasty. Carlos was excellent waiter. Pacing was a bit fast for a romantic meal. Light level overall could be lower, with lighting added at tables. Liked spacing of tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedelaineDined on 8/16/2014The service was excellent from the bartender and the waiter, the restaurant itself was lovely but the food was just ok. I really enjoyed the lobster mac n cheese appetizer but my main course was the scallops and for $30.00 they only give you 3-scallops on top of some vegetables. That's about $10.00 per scallop and they were not that good and even if they were excellent that is ridiculous. My husband got the duck and was not impressed. Maybe we just ordered the wrong items but we will not be going back. If I am going to pay those prices I really need to be wowed and not disappointed.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We started out on the patio with a few interesting cocktails I had the blue berry margarita delicious. The setting is beautiful and very quiet, we saw deer by the pond grazing. We were seated in the main dining room, it is very nicely appointed with two large murals that are true works of art. The ambiance is very upscale but very comfortable. The service was stellar 3 of us had the shrimp and grits and we all loved that dish. We also tried the duck, and scallop entrees as well as the octopus appetizer, Lobster bacon mac and cheese, and the house made charcuterie plate, all were very good. For dessert we had crème Brulee and chocolate macadamia torte both were Great! Thank you Highland Inn we will be back very soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner in styleRjdoanDined on 8/9/2014It was a great evening. We lucked into restaurant week, but this a place that has moved into our A list of places to take people who come to visit. The setting is beautiful and the food was stylish and prepared to order. We enjoyed dining outside and being immersed in the bucolic setting. The service was stellarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maarmianVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very nice dining experience in a converted old house. Too much sauce can confuse some of the dishes. Schrimp and Grits and Duck are excellent choicesSpecial Features:
- Delightful EveningDebbieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We recently dined at the Highland Inn and were seated on their outdoor patio. It was a perfect evening for outside dining. I had the Gazpacho and my husband had the clams casino, both excellent. For main courses, I tried the Tri tip and a side of braised kale, very flavorful steak and loved the kale. My husband had the 12 oz filet and added the bernaise and crab to it. Also quite good. Although the crab, advertised as "colossal lump" was not. It was more of a mix of jumbo lump and back fin. They also do something we found odd. Instead of serving the bernaise & crab topping on the steak, it is brought on a separate plate. I guess that is fine for some but we would prefer to not have to transfer the topping to the steak.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!luv2lunchDined on 8/7/2014Food was delicious, house bread is a FABULOUS way to start. Traditional standards with a flair as well as highly creative cuisine; something to fit every budget. Very quiet at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter was amazingnicoleDined on 8/3/2014The lobster mac and cheese was delicios...the lamb was tender with just the right amount of fat...the crab cake in tomato jam (I did not think that I would like the jam) was DELICIOUS and the macadamia nut torte...WOW!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014We didn't find anything special about the food that would make us return anytime soon. The meals were good, not great. We did not like any of the desserts. The S'mores cake was completely burned and not edible which was disappointing. I am not sure I could confidently recommend this restaurant.
- Highland Inn ExperienceLuvgoodfood2Dined on 8/2/2014We went to Highland Inn to celebrate our anniversary. They were very friendly and explained the restaurant week menu to us in addition to their regular menu. They were willing to allow you to make some changes to the main course sides. The service was great and they were attentive to your needs and made sure your experience was enjoyable. The food was superb and perfectly prepared. it was a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going GreenAlliekidkatDined on 8/1/2014Atmosphere was great, plated well but be aware that the food is very green. Lots of pure ingredients left the meal severely lacking in flavor.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingLocalfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Beautiful interior and setting in the country. Food has good presentation. Appetizer of peaches on a salad with tiny bits of fois gras was very good. Main meal was good but not outstanding. I would have expected something better for restaurant week. My husbands chicken was average . The desert I had wS listed as mud pie with smoked merangue. The smoked merangue was good , very different. The mud pie was just an average brownie type thing. Not in a hurry to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placepstalVIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Highland Inn. Nice building, wonderful service. Only thing that would have made it nicer for us was the seating. We were seated between two other tables each an arms length away, a little too close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet EveningNelsonVIPDined on 7/31/2014My husband & I enjoyed the great farm to table menu. The seared scallops and ocean trout were delightful. The carrot cake was a bit too heavy but the creme brulee was tasty. We had to ask for sugar and refills which we believe was an oversight by our waiter. The venue is quiet.Special Features:
- great foodkel400Dined on 7/29/2014i love coming here for lobster night. the food is great and i leave very fullSpecial Features:
- Very Good PlaceSteveVIPDined on 7/29/2014Food and service always wonderful. Beautiful place in a restored old house. Specials and special events worth following. Not inexpensive but there are wines reasonably priced.Special Features:
- mr&msdineoutlotsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/26/2014Can't say enough good things about this restaurant. We have been there twice for dinner and have thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. The setting is lovely and the restaurant itself is very comfortable with tasteful and user-friendly tableware. The service is perfect; everyone was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive without being intimidating or annoying. As for the food, we found it to be first and most important, delicious. The menu was interesting and creative. The vegetables were really fresh and wonderfully combined with our scallops, which were beautifully prepared. At the end of our meal, the coffee was excellent and the carrot cake well worth every calorie.Special Features:
- Why the Bad Reviews?dreamerlizDined on 7/26/2014I was shocked to read some of the reviews for this restaurant as we had an impeccable dining experience here. My dear foodie friend and I were there during Howard County Restaurant week, having never heard of this place before and were blown away! This is the type of place that you go to try new things and experience wonderful flavors and techniques. I can't say enough about the wait staff, the cleanliness and ambience of the restaurant or the delicious food. To start off, the bread was outstanding...the charcuterie platter was rich and delicious...then the gazpacho was yummy as was the beef tartare. We had the tri tip dish and the cod dish and finished off with the most delectable creme brulee ever...and we LOVE creme brulee. Well done!Special Features:
- sharla1Dined on 7/25/2014Did not live up to our expectations. I hope that they are going through growing pains. Since it just recently opened, we might give it another try. Having dined at the Milton Inn many times, we were very disappointed. Service was slow, the wrong entree was delivered to one of us, it was corrected but received after the rest of our party (4 persons) had finished their entrees. They did take one bottle of wine off our bill as compensation for the error. Our waiter was pleasant enough but, at one point, interjected his opinion into our conversation without being asked for his thoughts on the subject.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food findsdebsDined on 7/25/2014Highland Inn for dinner was a treat. The selection of entries was varied. The four of us each had different selections and were not disappointed with the quality (lamb, chicken, steak, tri-tips). The place is too high priced for my liking and would require a very special occasion, but then there are several competing choice in the area for that type of outing. I did enjoy the outdoor seating. The wine selections were varied. They would not allow a substitution on a side dish which was very disappointing for this caliber of venue. Overall it was very good and I would recommend that everyone give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing - UnfortunatelyMissbinoDined on 7/24/2014There isn't much good to say about our dinner here. Our waiter was pleasant but his accent was hard to understand. Twice he came back to say he forgot what we ordered. The charcuterie appetizer was great but the scallop was fair -served raw. The shrimp and grits were sitting so long when served that the sauce was skimmed over. Grits were gummy and shrimp was overcooked. The duck was better but the strawberries served with it were ill-conceived. Desserts were ok. Some things could be overlooked if prices weren't so high. One glass of sparkling wine was $16. We dined early enough for the Prix Fixe menu but it wasn't mentioned. The dining room felt like an old hotel dining room and not the Ritz. I hope this place can turn itself around.
- Highland DelightOlneyiteDined on 7/22/2014Went with a friend for Boy's night out (wife evicted him to host her book club.) Decided on this place on a whim...had seen groupons and I live only 10 miles away. We didn't regret it one bit. Beautiful setting responsive staff fair prices (even without Groupon) Tasty and well-presented food. Immediately bought another Groupon to take MY wife.Special Features:
- outtading country diningCTMYERSDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed a relaxed early evening meal. The dining room is attractive and spacious. The menu offered a variety of tempting choices to suit any palate. We will definitely be looking for an opportunity to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseTomLightVIPDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I had a lovely dinner at the Highland Inn starting with a refreshing cocktail from their mixologists. The grilled octopus appetizer was tender and delicious. The seafood soup with saffron was excellent. My entree of succulent roasted pig, the evening's special was fantastic. While the duck dish for my wife was good, the breast's skin should have been scored and crisped with better execution. The confit duck leg could have been used some more attention as well. Overall though, we would recommend the Highland Inn to our friends.Special Features:
- Getting betterCharlieDined on 7/18/2014This is our second visit. The first was great and this surpassed great. Each dish was fantastic. Carlos, our waiter, was at the top of his craft. Informative, personable and professional The evening could not have been better. Looking forward to our next time which will be with visiting friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Avg ExperiencePartyOnGarthVIPDined on 7/17/2014Putting the wait staff aside, our grilled octopus was awesome, seafood chowder ok, blackened strip steak delicious and my wife got the crispy trout that tasted like salmon in a wonderful broth. We would return hoping the staff would be way more attentive and try other items on the menu. B ar area and bartender was very nice.Special Features:
- Food and Service Very GoodGlutenfree5VIPDined on 7/16/2014Wow, Highland Inn was an excellent find. The Food and Service (by just one wait staff person) was exceptional. I was very pleased with the way they accommodated my gluten allergy. Everything was prepared well and the wait staff knew the menu and what would be able to work for those with a gluten allergy and other allergens.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceGg84Dined on 7/15/2014The highland may be quite a drive for Baltimore city residents. But every bite is worth every minute in the drive. Service is flawless, water is immediately offered and a small bite comes as you begin perusing the menu. Server guided us through the menu and specials. As far as the food, everything was outstanding. My companion and I practically licked our plates clean. And I noticed the diners around me were doing the same. For starters I had the warm peach salad which was a little of everything, sweet, salty, bitter, plenty of texture and flavor in every bite. Entree wise we had the scallops and lamb shank. Scallops perfectly cooked and served on a bed of incredibly fresh vegetables. Lamb shank was melt in your mouth tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Highland InnTriciaDined on 7/15/2014Since this was our first visit to the Highland Inn we both tried the Chef's Tasting Menu (Early Bird/Prix Fixe Menu) that is available from 5:30-6:30pm Mon-Thurs so we could sample a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts for a very reasonable $35 dollars. We had Ceasar salad and pork belly (smoked and crispy) for appetizer, tri-tip and duck for main course, and creme brulee and truffle (very chocolate) tort for dessert. Wine list was well thought out and complemented menu. One of my pet peeves with higher end restaurants (and those hoping to be) is extremely small portion sizes. That was not the case with Highland Inn - portions were appropriate for each course and provided value. We left happy and wanting to come back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitgrouponDined on 7/14/2014The food was great, although I wish there was more of it. The desert was delicious. This would be a good location for a wedding.Special Features:
- Very good food; Very expensiveColumbiaDinerDined on 7/13/2014The NY Strip steak w/ Gorgonzola sauce was outstanding. The Jack Tarr potato side dish is tasty & large enough for 2 to share. If you order a steak or seafood a la carte, you pay extra for a sauce and/or sides & they are not inexpensive. The scallop entree was very good. It had 3 large scallops, enough for me but may not be filling for larger appetites. It comes with some side vegetables. The Caesar salad was a disappointment, OK but nothing special. The gazpacho soup was excellent. We had a torte dessert-very rich and just OK. Our server seemed inexperienced but other servers did a great job. We thought the total cost was excessive especially for western HoCo. Why can't they put salt/pepper on the table vs. needing to ask for it??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 7/13/2014I ordered the blackened filet mignon and it was fantastic! Cooked perfectly at medium rare; juicy and tender with a nice blackened seasoning. I also had a side of the duck fat fires, which are topped with seasoning. Overall, the food was excellent. The only reason I did not give it a five star rating is I felt as if I was eating in a country club, which I don't particularly enjoy. It was super quiet in the dining area and my wife and I felt we had whisper throughout dinner. Maybe if that just had soft music (jazz, Sinatra, etc) playing in the background it would help the atmosphere. I certainly return for the food!Special Features: