12857 Highland Road
Highland, MD 20777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highlandinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4432763202x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5pm-9:30pm ; Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
Closed Saturday Lunch for Private Parties & Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilbur Cox Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Highland Inn
Welcome to Highland Inn! Our menu focuses on seasonal foods and purity of flavors, using only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients and utilizing sustainable foods from local farmers whenever possible. Highland Inn offers a wine list personally selected by Proprietor Brian Boston to complement our menu. Our goal is for every bottle of wine to be of great quality, regardless of price. We have a wide variety of wines by the glass as well as an interesting array of domestic, imported and craft beers. At Highland Inn, guest service is very important. We strive to ensure our servers are friendly, knowledgeable and professional; building long-lasting relationships with our guests is paramount. Our logo is meant to reflect diversity, strength and deep roots in the community. It also speaks to our commitment of being a certified green restaurant. In making our purchasing decisions, the impact on the environment plays a fundamental role.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Highland Inn - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Highland Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (79)romantic (72)notable wine list (69)great for outdoor dining (57)scenic view (47)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (25)good for groups (24)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Lovely evening on the patio.ConnieJDined on 9/20/2014We love dining on the downstairs patio, and this was a perfect evening. Were seated promptly for our 8pm reservation, and they honored our request for patio dining on this lovely Indian Summer evening. Prompt and friendly service. Grilled octopus appetizer was delicious (as was the rest of our food - but the octopus was a highlight).Special Features:
- PoltiDined on 9/19/2014Very nice atmosphere. Waiter heard it was a birthday celebration and provided cake on a perfect birthday plate for us.Special Features:
- Great fooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Great food as always. However we were sat in the corner and it took at least 15 minutes before we were acknowledged. That was very surprising because our past experiences were different. We made a later reservation with the hope we would have a quiet table, which we did not.Special Features:
- deeltnvDined on 9/14/2014Have been here a few times - for an entree like the crab cakes the best. Had the covina fish - nice and mild. Think the food is good - just not extraordinary and a little pricey for what you get.
- Highland InnrobinsnestDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful from start to finish. Wonderful meal and Josh our server was very versed in Restaurant Etiquette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still talking about the foodHopeDined on 9/12/2014The whole dining experience at the Highland Inn was superb. The bartender made me a special cocktail with a chili infused tequila, which was spicy, but paired well with all of our appetizers. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and guided us throughout the dinner. We had sweet breads, the pork trotters, and charred octopus as appetizers. Each were great but the charred octopus was incredible. For our entrées, we had the tri-tip, scallops, and quail. All were good and the quail was probably my favorite. The tri-tip was my least because it had too much Sour flavors on the plate and it needed a warm element to the dish. Dessert was excellent. The chocolate macadamia torte was rich and exquisite. You must try the Highland Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedtweeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The pricing and the quality of the food and drinks are disproportional. Either it is more savory, or the price more reasonable, better yet, both. I could be a new phenomenon now for a small town like Highland, but , the novelty might not last....
- Howard County GemPeteDined on 9/11/2014The Highland Inn was a "new find" for my wife and I as we celebrated a 49th wedding anniversary dinner the other evening, and we will certainly be going back there to dine. Even though we live in Annapolis, the long ride on MD Route 32 is worth the ride. The daytime view of the rear lawn from the dining room is impressive as are the flower gardens in the front and sides of the building. Try the vichyssoise as it is not the usual preparation for the cold French potato soup. The crème fraiche is sufficiently thick enough to float two shucked/raw oysters on top. The blend of flavors is wonderful.Special Features:
- ComparingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We live in Baltimore and frequent the Milton Inn so we wanted to compare, finding Highland to be equally as good but without the samevambience of the Milton Inn. The food and service is on par. I enjoyed the corvina dish ,loving the artichoke accompaniment , while my husband had the NY strip steak au poivre and enjoyed his as well. We would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.sup2maxDined on 9/7/2014Menu was great. Lots of local ingredients. I thought the food was just okay so I was disappointed. Fish lacked flavor and accompanying veggies overcooked.Special Features:
- Service needs fine tuningLeokVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've never been to a restaurant that wanted an explanation for why our party didn't want to sit in a certain area. Or have dirty plates on our table remain unnoticed by the wait staff that constantly had to walk by our table to service the rest of the patrons. I give the atmosphere and food a "good" but the service stinks.
- Exquisite fine dining!MooseVIPDined on 9/5/2014Highland Inn is one of the best restaurants in our area. Very interesting food selections are to be had! Staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. Highland Inn never disappoints. A wonderful place to sit, relax and enjoy great food and wine!! Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KearliaDined on 9/5/2014Dinner was delicious! We celebrated our anniversary there and had a wonderful experience. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.DissapointedDined on 9/5/2014Looking forward to going again. It will be our go to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful againUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 9/5/2014From the chefs taster to dessert the meal was fantastic. Try the specials. The chef does a nice job pairing foods. But if you don't like some of the pairings you can change to suit your taste. Try the creamy cheesy lobster filled appetizer truly divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and wineBanashreeVIPDined on 9/5/2014We started off dinner with the Clams Casino appetizer which was delicious. For Entre we had Jurgielewicz Duck and the Corvina special (fish dish) both of which were well prepared and tasty. We finished by sharing an icecream (Hagen Daz). The wine (Argyle riesling) paired well with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finddreamerlizDined on 9/3/2014My best foodie buddy and I went here initially during restaurant week and vowed to return. The food is excellent from the entrees to dessert. We have tried over ten of the dishes in the two visits to include the clams casino, braised lamb, gazpacho, filet tartare, creme brulee, charcuterie board and duck fat fries. We have covered the gamut and everything was amazing, well thought out and well prepared. I would recommend this especially for special occasions as the prices reflect the high quality of the food. Definitely make a reservation and don't be shy about asking for a particular placement in the restaurant if you don't like your original seat. The lounge is inviting too if you are looking for a lighter menu and great ambience.Special Features:
- Impeccable, inventive foodccookDined on 9/3/2014We had the lamb special - slow cooked meat atop smashed potatoes and fresh beans. It was fantastic. And we never eat lamb! Excellent wine selection. Service was courteous and constant. Decor didn't really jive with menu options in my opinion. The food was progressive and award-winning while decor seemed a bit....stuffy.Special Features:
- Like2eatoutDined on 8/31/2014Great dining experience. Will definitely go back. Intimate environment and great food. The tri-tips steak was just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodBramsDined on 8/29/2014A total gem for this area and eating outside made the experience even better. The charred octopus was phenomenal and unbelievably tender. Sauces were very complementary to the mains and added a lot to the dishes.Special Features:
- Excellent ChefcarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal at Highland Inn. The location is charming and the food was great. The wine list included many reasonably priced bottles. There were some missteps. The hostess showed us to our table for three only to find it occupied. She mumbled an apology and returned us to the front while they reset another table. Our waiter, while attentive forgot to have the kitchen plate the 8 oz filet mignon that my mother-in-law and I were sharing. Overall worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better all the time.CharlieDined on 8/29/2014This is our 4th trip to the Highland Inn and it is such a welcome addition to Howard County. The food and sevice are equally fantastic. We were greeted by our server from the last time, Carlos, who regretted that he was outside today. But put us in the hands of John. He mentioned a new menu that just started that day. Some tried/true from the old menu but some interesting additions. Between the three of us dining, we each ordered something different and did a table pass around. There wasn't a bad selection there. I've read the Lobster Mac n Cheese is average. Dont believe it ! Its heaven. A bonus was when our server brought the chef out to our table to say hello and we got to see how the menu changes and a few recipe insights. Wow!Special Features:
- Hidden GemClarksvilleDined on 8/29/2014Very good food and nice ambiance! A hidden gem in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!LillyDined on 8/26/2014The lobster and champagne special is a well kept secret. A whole lobster, champagne and two sides for $26. Much better than driving to Kent Island!!Special Features:
- A FIND IN THE COUNTRYIrnieVIPDined on 8/25/2014We visited last week after a business meeting. Really not very far from Olney. Beautiful setting with magnificiently done decor. Menu was somewhat eclectic but my wife and I were able to find two very tasty entrees. The duck two ways was outstanding.Special Features:
- Delicious!OutstandingDined on 8/24/2014Quality experience in all aspects - attentive, knowledgable and friendly waiter (John) - excellent service and delicious food served in a timely manner with great presentation - have recommended this restaurant to friends and i will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backBruceVIPDined on 8/23/2014we were seated in a small room with three tables it was very comfortable, the food was really nice. A very good mixture of flavors on the plate. The grilled octopus was outstanding. Yes we would go backSpecial Features:
- Dessert? Not so muchCarolynDined on 8/22/2014Dinner was very good and the service outstanding. Dessert not so much. The highly recommended carrot cake was waxy and served ice cold. A disappointment for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening outmom2boyzDined on 8/21/2014I really enjoyed Highland Inn. The service was attentive and friendly. The food was delicious. The shrimp and grits are outstanding. Look forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall enjoyable.PatGDined on 8/21/2014Food flavors were notable. One steak done more than med rare, but tasty. Carlos was excellent waiter. Pacing was a bit fast for a romantic meal. Light level overall could be lower, with lighting added at tables. Liked spacing of tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedelaineDined on 8/16/2014The service was excellent from the bartender and the waiter, the restaurant itself was lovely but the food was just ok. I really enjoyed the lobster mac n cheese appetizer but my main course was the scallops and for $30.00 they only give you 3-scallops on top of some vegetables. That's about $10.00 per scallop and they were not that good and even if they were excellent that is ridiculous. My husband got the duck and was not impressed. Maybe we just ordered the wrong items but we will not be going back. If I am going to pay those prices I really need to be wowed and not disappointed.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We started out on the patio with a few interesting cocktails I had the blue berry margarita delicious. The setting is beautiful and very quiet, we saw deer by the pond grazing. We were seated in the main dining room, it is very nicely appointed with two large murals that are true works of art. The ambiance is very upscale but very comfortable. The service was stellar 3 of us had the shrimp and grits and we all loved that dish. We also tried the duck, and scallop entrees as well as the octopus appetizer, Lobster bacon mac and cheese, and the house made charcuterie plate, all were very good. For dessert we had crème Brulee and chocolate macadamia torte both were Great! Thank you Highland Inn we will be back very soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner in styleRjdoanDined on 8/9/2014It was a great evening. We lucked into restaurant week, but this a place that has moved into our A list of places to take people who come to visit. The setting is beautiful and the food was stylish and prepared to order. We enjoyed dining outside and being immersed in the bucolic setting. The service was stellarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maarmianVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very nice dining experience in a converted old house. Too much sauce can confuse some of the dishes. Schrimp and Grits and Duck are excellent choicesSpecial Features:
- Delightful EveningDebbieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We recently dined at the Highland Inn and were seated on their outdoor patio. It was a perfect evening for outside dining. I had the Gazpacho and my husband had the clams casino, both excellent. For main courses, I tried the Tri tip and a side of braised kale, very flavorful steak and loved the kale. My husband had the 12 oz filet and added the bernaise and crab to it. Also quite good. Although the crab, advertised as "colossal lump" was not. It was more of a mix of jumbo lump and back fin. They also do something we found odd. Instead of serving the bernaise & crab topping on the steak, it is brought on a separate plate. I guess that is fine for some but we would prefer to not have to transfer the topping to the steak.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!luv2lunchDined on 8/7/2014Food was delicious, house bread is a FABULOUS way to start. Traditional standards with a flair as well as highly creative cuisine; something to fit every budget. Very quiet at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter was amazingnicoleDined on 8/3/2014The lobster mac and cheese was delicios...the lamb was tender with just the right amount of fat...the crab cake in tomato jam (I did not think that I would like the jam) was DELICIOUS and the macadamia nut torte...WOW!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014We didn't find anything special about the food that would make us return anytime soon. The meals were good, not great. We did not like any of the desserts. The S'mores cake was completely burned and not edible which was disappointing. I am not sure I could confidently recommend this restaurant.
- Highland Inn ExperienceLuvgoodfood2Dined on 8/2/2014We went to Highland Inn to celebrate our anniversary. They were very friendly and explained the restaurant week menu to us in addition to their regular menu. They were willing to allow you to make some changes to the main course sides. The service was great and they were attentive to your needs and made sure your experience was enjoyable. The food was superb and perfectly prepared. it was a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going GreenAlliekidkatDined on 8/1/2014Atmosphere was great, plated well but be aware that the food is very green. Lots of pure ingredients left the meal severely lacking in flavor.Special Features: