12857 Highland Road
Highland, MD 20777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highlandinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4432763202x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5pm-9:30pm ; Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
Closed Saturday Lunch for Private Parties & Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilbur Cox Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Highland Inn
Welcome to Highland Inn! Our menu focuses on seasonal foods and purity of flavors, using only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients and utilizing sustainable foods from local farmers whenever possible. Highland Inn offers a wine list personally selected by Proprietor Brian Boston to complement our menu. Our goal is for every bottle of wine to be of great quality, regardless of price. We have a wide variety of wines by the glass as well as an interesting array of domestic, imported and craft beers. At Highland Inn, guest service is very important. We strive to ensure our servers are friendly, knowledgeable and professional; building long-lasting relationships with our guests is paramount. Our logo is meant to reflect diversity, strength and deep roots in the community. It also speaks to our commitment of being a certified green restaurant. In making our purchasing decisions, the impact on the environment plays a fundamental role.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Highland Inn - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Highland Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (81)notable wine list (76)romantic (75)great for outdoor dining (64)scenic view (44)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (25)good for groups (25)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- great as alwaysdreamerlizDined on 10/14/2014The food is incredible here and I will keep going back. It is pricey here and the flow of seating could be better. However there are a lot of menu choices and the food is worth the trip and money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitpm71VIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our first visit and we had high expectations. Unfortunately, the chef did not cook my steak correctly which ended up in me sending it back. When this happens, it tends to ruin the entire flow of dinner. In addition, the service was a little on the slow end. I think they need to have a few more servers on board especially for weekends. For the amount of money we spent, we DO expect signature service and I do feel the service fell a little short since our server had multiple tables and seemed a little distracted by it. We would be interested in going back to have them change our minds but not anytime soon.Special Features:
- Pleasant EveningtessVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had the 4 plate tasting menu with paired wines. The waiter was knowledgeable about the food/menu and helpful. The pacing of the meal was good. Wine and food arrived together for each course. Highlights included the persimmons, duck sausage, pressed lamb, and scallops. Wine pairings were well matched. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- JBARTDined on 10/10/2014Root veg gnocchi was delicious but could have been a bit warmer. Shrimp and grits, excellent. Wonderful service from Greg. Nice wine list and very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- What a Treat!BonnieBlueDined on 10/8/2014Had lunch at The Highland Inn for the first time and all I can say is WOW! Beautiful Decor and Ambience only made better by my delightful server Greg who was knowledgeable, gregarious, and passionate about everything pertaining to the Restaurant. Then there was the food...I started with an heirloom caprese, this was no regular caprese, heirloom tomatoes on top of some kind of scrumptious aioli served with a tomato sorbet! What a thoughtful and elegant dish! Then per my servers suggestion I had the quiche of the day, perfectly cooked and what a wonderful portion! I say RUN don't walk to the Highland before more people hear about this gem.Special Features:
- jayjayDined on 10/7/2014Wait staff was very professional but service was slow.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The setting is perfect. The service was okay. The food was nothing to brag out. Perhaps it was just a bad night for the restaurant since the owner has such a great reputation. Will it give another chance.Special Features:
- Charming country innsavta3Dined on 10/5/2014The food and service are very good. The portions on the chef's tasting menu are very generous. Our only problem (and one that we are finding at many restaurants these days) is that most of the dishes included or were garnished with pork or shellfish so that someone with special dietary needs would have a difficult time finding something to eat. Even vegetarian and fish dishes were finished with pork or shellfish. That touch is what kept it was getting 5 stars. We've eaten there twice, both times early in the evening. Friday nights the noise level rose to an uncomfortable level for us, but Sunday night with an empty dining room, it was lovely. The high prices make this a place for very special occasions, not your ordinary night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBMaxVIPDined on 10/4/2014Server was arrogant, impatient and condescending....Food was great as usual. We will be back, but with a different server.
- margyDined on 10/3/2014Took a small group for a milestone birthday. New feature of 3 items for $50 was a big hit. Favorites were octopus, scallops octopus and lobster mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Food was excellent but waiter did not seem to understand several requests. I told him it was different but we wanted our two appetizers to come with our dinner and to have our salad first. He proceeded to first bring one appetizer and then the other at which time I asked him to please bring our salads. Also our steak temperatures were switched which we could not just switch because we had them prepared differently. It was a birthday dinner for my friend and I was disappointed that she did not have the great experience that I had had the other 3 times I was at the restaurant. I sued her to send hr steak back but she would not for some reason. Hopefully she enjoyed it at home after cooking it further. I still love the Highland InnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and many choicesPeterDined on 9/26/2014It was to celebrate my father's birthday and we had a very good dinner there. The noise level is above average since most ppl are talking in the restaurant. I need to move closer to the waitress in order to be able to hear her words. We were able to try 8 of their dishes thanks to their 3 courses option and we really loves their food. Average cost per person should be around 30~50 without any alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemFlipperVIPDined on 9/24/2014Awesome find in an out of the way place. Beautiful surroundings with outdoor seating for the right weather. Service was excellent and the food topped the service. Regular menu as well as chef's selections and wine paring. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchhmorgzDined on 9/21/2014We had Sunday brunch here to celebrate a birthday. The outdoor seating under a covered porch was lovely. We ordered appetizers and entrees, and besides a severely overcooked steak, the food was good for the prices. A manager or cook kindly came to apologize for the steak and offered us something in the meantime. Service was great overall except when we asked about the bread presented to us before the meal, the server assistant said "uuuh... I don't know, they're some kind of muffins". We thought it was hilarious but I can see how others might find the lack of professionalism unacceptable. To sum up, beautiful restaurant, accommodating staff, and pretty good food that we'll try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening on the patio.ConnieJDined on 9/20/2014We love dining on the downstairs patio, and this was a perfect evening. Were seated promptly for our 8pm reservation, and they honored our request for patio dining on this lovely Indian Summer evening. Prompt and friendly service. Grilled octopus appetizer was delicious (as was the rest of our food - but the octopus was a highlight).Special Features:
- ExcellentAnnaDined on 9/19/2014We got a reasonably priced, delicious bottle of wine and 2 filets. The filets were cooked perfectly. The sides were delicious. It was great!Special Features:
- PoltiDined on 9/19/2014Very nice atmosphere. Waiter heard it was a birthday celebration and provided cake on a perfect birthday plate for us.Special Features:
- Great fooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Great food as always. However we were sat in the corner and it took at least 15 minutes before we were acknowledged. That was very surprising because our past experiences were different. We made a later reservation with the hope we would have a quiet table, which we did not.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsErashDined on 9/17/2014We were looking forward to enjoying this notable chef's food, but it left something to be desired. The restaurant was extremely quiet, to the point we thought we were still whispering too loud. The menu did offer variety; we settled on the mussels to start and then the shrimp & grits and the corvina. The shrimp and grits were very tasty and had an excellent balance of flavors. The corvina was perfectly cooked, but it was served over a broth and the artichokes present in the dish were scarce (since artichoke was mentioned twice in the menu description this was odd)- With no starch and sparse greens, the fish was bland. Will not be back- better shrimp and grits at Growlers or Grill Marx for a more reasonable price
- deeltnvDined on 9/14/2014Have been here a few times - for an entree like the crab cakes the best. Had the covina fish - nice and mild. Think the food is good - just not extraordinary and a little pricey for what you get.
- Highland InnrobinsnestDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful from start to finish. Wonderful meal and Josh our server was very versed in Restaurant Etiquette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still talking about the foodHopeDined on 9/12/2014The whole dining experience at the Highland Inn was superb. The bartender made me a special cocktail with a chili infused tequila, which was spicy, but paired well with all of our appetizers. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and guided us throughout the dinner. We had sweet breads, the pork trotters, and charred octopus as appetizers. Each were great but the charred octopus was incredible. For our entrées, we had the tri-tip, scallops, and quail. All were good and the quail was probably my favorite. The tri-tip was my least because it had too much Sour flavors on the plate and it needed a warm element to the dish. Dessert was excellent. The chocolate macadamia torte was rich and exquisite. You must try the Highland Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedtweeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The pricing and the quality of the food and drinks are disproportional. Either it is more savory, or the price more reasonable, better yet, both. I could be a new phenomenon now for a small town like Highland, but , the novelty might not last....
- Howard County GemPeteDined on 9/11/2014The Highland Inn was a "new find" for my wife and I as we celebrated a 49th wedding anniversary dinner the other evening, and we will certainly be going back there to dine. Even though we live in Annapolis, the long ride on MD Route 32 is worth the ride. The daytime view of the rear lawn from the dining room is impressive as are the flower gardens in the front and sides of the building. Try the vichyssoise as it is not the usual preparation for the cold French potato soup. The crème fraiche is sufficiently thick enough to float two shucked/raw oysters on top. The blend of flavors is wonderful.Special Features:
- ComparingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We live in Baltimore and frequent the Milton Inn so we wanted to compare, finding Highland to be equally as good but without the samevambience of the Milton Inn. The food and service is on par. I enjoyed the corvina dish ,loving the artichoke accompaniment , while my husband had the NY strip steak au poivre and enjoyed his as well. We would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.sup2maxDined on 9/7/2014Menu was great. Lots of local ingredients. I thought the food was just okay so I was disappointed. Fish lacked flavor and accompanying veggies overcooked.Special Features:
- Service needs fine tuningLeokVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've never been to a restaurant that wanted an explanation for why our party didn't want to sit in a certain area. Or have dirty plates on our table remain unnoticed by the wait staff that constantly had to walk by our table to service the rest of the patrons. I give the atmosphere and food a "good" but the service stinks.
- Exquisite fine dining!MooseVIPDined on 9/5/2014Highland Inn is one of the best restaurants in our area. Very interesting food selections are to be had! Staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. Highland Inn never disappoints. A wonderful place to sit, relax and enjoy great food and wine!! Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KearliaDined on 9/5/2014Dinner was delicious! We celebrated our anniversary there and had a wonderful experience. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.DissapointedDined on 9/5/2014Looking forward to going again. It will be our go to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful againUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 9/5/2014From the chefs taster to dessert the meal was fantastic. Try the specials. The chef does a nice job pairing foods. But if you don't like some of the pairings you can change to suit your taste. Try the creamy cheesy lobster filled appetizer truly divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and wineBanashreeVIPDined on 9/5/2014We started off dinner with the Clams Casino appetizer which was delicious. For Entre we had Jurgielewicz Duck and the Corvina special (fish dish) both of which were well prepared and tasty. We finished by sharing an icecream (Hagen Daz). The wine (Argyle riesling) paired well with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finddreamerlizDined on 9/3/2014My best foodie buddy and I went here initially during restaurant week and vowed to return. The food is excellent from the entrees to dessert. We have tried over ten of the dishes in the two visits to include the clams casino, braised lamb, gazpacho, filet tartare, creme brulee, charcuterie board and duck fat fries. We have covered the gamut and everything was amazing, well thought out and well prepared. I would recommend this especially for special occasions as the prices reflect the high quality of the food. Definitely make a reservation and don't be shy about asking for a particular placement in the restaurant if you don't like your original seat. The lounge is inviting too if you are looking for a lighter menu and great ambience.Special Features:
- Impeccable, inventive foodccookDined on 9/3/2014We had the lamb special - slow cooked meat atop smashed potatoes and fresh beans. It was fantastic. And we never eat lamb! Excellent wine selection. Service was courteous and constant. Decor didn't really jive with menu options in my opinion. The food was progressive and award-winning while decor seemed a bit....stuffy.Special Features:
- Like2eatoutDined on 8/31/2014Great dining experience. Will definitely go back. Intimate environment and great food. The tri-tips steak was just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodBramsDined on 8/29/2014A total gem for this area and eating outside made the experience even better. The charred octopus was phenomenal and unbelievably tender. Sauces were very complementary to the mains and added a lot to the dishes.Special Features:
- Excellent ChefcarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal at Highland Inn. The location is charming and the food was great. The wine list included many reasonably priced bottles. There were some missteps. The hostess showed us to our table for three only to find it occupied. She mumbled an apology and returned us to the front while they reset another table. Our waiter, while attentive forgot to have the kitchen plate the 8 oz filet mignon that my mother-in-law and I were sharing. Overall worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better all the time.CharlieDined on 8/29/2014This is our 4th trip to the Highland Inn and it is such a welcome addition to Howard County. The food and sevice are equally fantastic. We were greeted by our server from the last time, Carlos, who regretted that he was outside today. But put us in the hands of John. He mentioned a new menu that just started that day. Some tried/true from the old menu but some interesting additions. Between the three of us dining, we each ordered something different and did a table pass around. There wasn't a bad selection there. I've read the Lobster Mac n Cheese is average. Dont believe it ! Its heaven. A bonus was when our server brought the chef out to our table to say hello and we got to see how the menu changes and a few recipe insights. Wow!Special Features:
- Hidden GemClarksvilleDined on 8/29/2014Very good food and nice ambiance! A hidden gem in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!LillyDined on 8/26/2014The lobster and champagne special is a well kept secret. A whole lobster, champagne and two sides for $26. Much better than driving to Kent Island!!Special Features: