12857 Highland Road
Highland, MD 20777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highlandinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (443) 276-3202
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5pm-9:30pm ; Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
Closed Saturday Lunch for Private Parties & Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilbur Cox Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Highland Inn
Welcome to Highland Inn! Our menu focuses on seasonal foods and purity of flavors, using only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients and utilizing sustainable foods from local farmers whenever possible. Highland Inn offers a wine list personally selected by Proprietor Brian Boston to complement our menu. Our goal is for every bottle of wine to be of great quality, regardless of price. We have a wide variety of wines by the glass as well as an interesting array of domestic, imported and craft beers. At Highland Inn, guest service is very important. We strive to ensure our servers are friendly, knowledgeable and professional; building long-lasting relationships with our guests is paramount. Our logo is meant to reflect diversity, strength and deep roots in the community. It also speaks to our commitment of being a certified green restaurant. In making our purchasing decisions, the impact on the environment plays a fundamental role.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Highland Inn - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Highland Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (78)notable wine list (70)great for outdoor dining (55)scenic view (34)good for groups (23)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (20)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Pleasantly surprisedCindySVIPDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant exceeded our expectations. The atmosphere was lovely, and the food was quite good. The filet was cooked perfectly, and the scallops were flavorful and tender. We look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant find between Olney and ColumbiaIrnieVIPDined on 11/15/2014Beautifully redone farmhouse restaurant 15 minutes east of Olney, MD. Very eclectic and sophisticated menu. Offers full meals or combinations of small plates. Nice, reasonable, wine list. Very appropriately attentive staff. Large parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few High Points at HighlandPaulVIPDined on 11/15/2014Our reservation was accepted immediately and we were seated in a smallish dining room just beyond the bar. The décor is faux Hunt Cup and just not very pleasing to the eye (the window treatments are dizzying and the mural is just...sad). The acoustics were horrible as we could hear everything that was said across the room. The service was very good though I found out more about the menu from other waiters than our own just by listening to them address other patrons. The food was disappointing. Our soup starters (cream of crab & shrimp/corn chowder) were good but certainly not worth the $12 price tag. Same for the fig salad, as the figs were overly ripe and the dish over-priced for what it was. One entree missed entirely--the mahi was overdone and swimming in a pumpkin broth that was too earthy and heavy for the fish; shrimp & grits were good, not great, and had a smoky quality that grew tiresome by the end of the meal. Given that this restaurant strives to be in the same class as the Oregon Grille, I consider it a failure as there was nothing remarkable about our experience, no 'wow' factor to make us want to return again. Don't mind paying for an amazing culinary experience but this wasn't it.
- awesome serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014A wonderful night. By far the best service I have had in years! Very attentive without being overbearing. An excellent value. I really felt like I got my moneys worth. We will definately be back!Special Features:
- Ambitious but UnevenHighlandResidentDined on 11/8/2014+ beautiful decor, great lighting, zealous menu, extensive wine list (competitively priced), enthusiastic servers, very generous table spacing - cold food, miscues by water boy and server (twice), poor overall value I had hoped that ten months after opening would be adequate for our first visit to this restaurant. Not sure I'll give them another look, which is a shame since they're almost within walking distance. Maybe we'll try the bar, which has several two-top tables, for lunch. Cold food is inexcusable for any grade of restaurant. If your kitchen is three flights of stairs from the basement seating area, you'd better use cloches! Minor gripes: unsalted, rock-hard butter and melba toast-sized bread? Must ask for salt or pepper?
- First VisitMADERBYDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant, which occupies a historic property in Highland, opened last January. The setting is rural and the decor is congruent with the surrounding area. However, the menu and service were very sophisticated. My wife had onion soup and I had a Caesar Salad made with buttercrunch lettuce, which is a bit lighter than Romaine. My wife enjoyed salmon which was nicely presented and include pumpkin seeds and roasted pumpkin. I enjoyed Beef short rib. The portions were moderate in size, but we were full. The server was very attentive. The dining area was quiet although all the tables were full. We will go again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014Wonderful experience at Highland Inn. Had been eager to have dinner since reading of the opening. Fantastic waiter (Alex?), who was spot on with suggestions. Great evening with food, wine and service. Only suggestion - dim the lighting a bit. Want to try the bar on a snowy Sunday.Special Features:
- ups and downshometowngirlDined on 11/1/2014We had been to this restaurant before for a fantastic lunch and wanted to try the dinner menu. It was delicious food and you can order small plates or regular size entrees from the dinner menu. The draw back is the small plates are staggered in delivery and doesn't mesh well with the rest of the diners at table who did not order small plates. I would have preferred that everyone's soup or salad came out at the same time. I requested the rest of the meal come out at the same time and they weren't sure they could do that but managed to pull it off. The downstairs is sterile looking compared to the cozy upstairs but otherwise and enjoyable evening with delicious food!Special Features:
- DeliciousSuzzyQueDined on 10/31/2014The menu selections were very creative, the food was presented well, and tasted delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timePBMaxVIPDined on 10/29/2014Had a wonderful time. Great food, great service. The tri-tip was great. We live less than a mile away and will be back often.
- Great spot for a special occasionFultonMDdinerDined on 10/29/2014We had a group of six for a birthday party. The steaks were cooked perfectly. I usually think of a filet as being round and thick. These were flat and resembled a strip steak. They were very good, but a little different than anticipated. I had the pork tenderloin and absolutely loved it. It had red cabbage and a sauce with apples and raisins. I love meat and fruit, though some don't. The sides are huge--enough for 4 people. We had the fries and brussel sprouts. Both were excellent.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014We have eaten here several times before but never on a Sunday evening 1 hour before closing and I think that the quality of the meals showed that it was the end of the day and the food may have been a little on the light side and a little "left over."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not GreatDebbieVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been to the Highland Inn several times since it opened. It has been one of our favorite restaurants. Four of us dined there recently and we were hoping to see a new menu for the fall. The menu is still basically the same as it has been the other times we were there. They have added a small plate option that allows you to pick 2,3 or 4 smaller portions with optional wine pairings. Good idea for someone who likes smaller portions or wants to sample a few items. However, going to a restaurant fairly frequently and seeing the same offerings does not encourage a speedy return. In addition, they took 2 of our favorite dishes off the menu - the chicken and the strip steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Highland InnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Service and ambiance were terrific. Unfortunately, one of group had to send his dinner back because it wasn't hot. My wife's Duck dish was fatty and stringy and tough. One server told me that my Shrimp and Grits dish was comprised of Jumbo Shrimp but the actual dish was the smallest shrimp you can buy (dish was very good but I was disappointed that the shrimp were so small). BenSpecial Features:
- Nice EveningDineNearDaytonDined on 10/25/2014Very nice night out with my wife. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexDined on 10/23/2014Really liked the Chef's menu with small plate choices and wine pairings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall niceBrucekdDined on 10/21/2014Great atmosphere, very good service. Oysters were excellent by why only 5; 6 is standard. Shrimp and grits decent but only 4 medium shrimp and why do they leave the shells on the tails (a pet peeve of mine); it makes eating them messy and cumbersome. Lamb shank just average.Special Features:
- Appetizers from heavendraschkaDined on 10/20/2014They added and pairs small plate menu since we were there last and it was terrific . Can't remember better oyster on the half shell, Everything was great. Only issue was ours we got 4 plates with 4oz wine pairings and were too full for the complementary dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedDiappointedDined on 10/18/2014Both appetizers and entrees were very, very, good. Server (Carlos) was attentive and helpful when answering our questions. Our 3rd visit there; easily the bestSpecial Features:
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere, great service. We had a wonderful night out and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysdreamerlizDined on 10/14/2014The food is incredible here and I will keep going back. It is pricey here and the flow of seating could be better. However there are a lot of menu choices and the food is worth the trip and money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitpm71VIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our first visit and we had high expectations. Unfortunately, the chef did not cook my steak correctly which ended up in me sending it back. When this happens, it tends to ruin the entire flow of dinner. In addition, the service was a little on the slow end. I think they need to have a few more servers on board especially for weekends. For the amount of money we spent, we DO expect signature service and I do feel the service fell a little short since our server had multiple tables and seemed a little distracted by it. We would be interested in going back to have them change our minds but not anytime soon.Special Features:
- Pleasant EveningtessVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had the 4 plate tasting menu with paired wines. The waiter was knowledgeable about the food/menu and helpful. The pacing of the meal was good. Wine and food arrived together for each course. Highlights included the persimmons, duck sausage, pressed lamb, and scallops. Wine pairings were well matched. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- JBARTDined on 10/10/2014Root veg gnocchi was delicious but could have been a bit warmer. Shrimp and grits, excellent. Wonderful service from Greg. Nice wine list and very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- What a Treat!BonnieBlueDined on 10/8/2014Had lunch at The Highland Inn for the first time and all I can say is WOW! Beautiful Decor and Ambience only made better by my delightful server Greg who was knowledgeable, gregarious, and passionate about everything pertaining to the Restaurant. Then there was the food...I started with an heirloom caprese, this was no regular caprese, heirloom tomatoes on top of some kind of scrumptious aioli served with a tomato sorbet! What a thoughtful and elegant dish! Then per my servers suggestion I had the quiche of the day, perfectly cooked and what a wonderful portion! I say RUN don't walk to the Highland before more people hear about this gem.Special Features:
- jayjayDined on 10/7/2014Wait staff was very professional but service was slow.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The setting is perfect. The service was okay. The food was nothing to brag out. Perhaps it was just a bad night for the restaurant since the owner has such a great reputation. Will it give another chance.Special Features:
- Charming country innsavta3Dined on 10/5/2014The food and service are very good. The portions on the chef's tasting menu are very generous. Our only problem (and one that we are finding at many restaurants these days) is that most of the dishes included or were garnished with pork or shellfish so that someone with special dietary needs would have a difficult time finding something to eat. Even vegetarian and fish dishes were finished with pork or shellfish. That touch is what kept it was getting 5 stars. We've eaten there twice, both times early in the evening. Friday nights the noise level rose to an uncomfortable level for us, but Sunday night with an empty dining room, it was lovely. The high prices make this a place for very special occasions, not your ordinary night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBMaxVIPDined on 10/4/2014Server was arrogant, impatient and condescending....Food was great as usual. We will be back, but with a different server.
- margyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Took a small group for a milestone birthday. New feature of 3 items for $50 was a big hit. Favorites were octopus, scallops octopus and lobster mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Food was excellent but waiter did not seem to understand several requests. I told him it was different but we wanted our two appetizers to come with our dinner and to have our salad first. He proceeded to first bring one appetizer and then the other at which time I asked him to please bring our salads. Also our steak temperatures were switched which we could not just switch because we had them prepared differently. It was a birthday dinner for my friend and I was disappointed that she did not have the great experience that I had had the other 3 times I was at the restaurant. I sued her to send hr steak back but she would not for some reason. Hopefully she enjoyed it at home after cooking it further. I still love the Highland InnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended by a friend for bday20814Dined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my mother's birthday here recently. Our food was wonderful--high quality meat and really fresh farm/garden to table selections! Guests especially enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese, artisan cheese sampler (mmmmm), gouda caramelized onion mashed potatoes, and the done-just-right filet mignon.Special Features:
- Very good food and many choicesPeterDined on 9/26/2014It was to celebrate my father's birthday and we had a very good dinner there. The noise level is above average since most ppl are talking in the restaurant. I need to move closer to the waitress in order to be able to hear her words. We were able to try 8 of their dishes thanks to their 3 courses option and we really loves their food. Average cost per person should be around 30~50 without any alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemFlipperVIPDined on 9/24/2014Awesome find in an out of the way place. Beautiful surroundings with outdoor seating for the right weather. Service was excellent and the food topped the service. Regular menu as well as chef's selections and wine paring. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchhmorgzDined on 9/21/2014We had Sunday brunch here to celebrate a birthday. The outdoor seating under a covered porch was lovely. We ordered appetizers and entrees, and besides a severely overcooked steak, the food was good for the prices. A manager or cook kindly came to apologize for the steak and offered us something in the meantime. Service was great overall except when we asked about the bread presented to us before the meal, the server assistant said "uuuh... I don't know, they're some kind of muffins". We thought it was hilarious but I can see how others might find the lack of professionalism unacceptable. To sum up, beautiful restaurant, accommodating staff, and pretty good food that we'll try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening on the patio.ConnieJDined on 9/20/2014We love dining on the downstairs patio, and this was a perfect evening. Were seated promptly for our 8pm reservation, and they honored our request for patio dining on this lovely Indian Summer evening. Prompt and friendly service. Grilled octopus appetizer was delicious (as was the rest of our food - but the octopus was a highlight).Special Features:
- ExcellentAnnaDined on 9/19/2014We got a reasonably priced, delicious bottle of wine and 2 filets. The filets were cooked perfectly. The sides were delicious. It was great!Special Features:
- PoltiDined on 9/19/2014Very nice atmosphere. Waiter heard it was a birthday celebration and provided cake on a perfect birthday plate for us.Special Features:
- Great fooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Great food as always. However we were sat in the corner and it took at least 15 minutes before we were acknowledged. That was very surprising because our past experiences were different. We made a later reservation with the hope we would have a quiet table, which we did not.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsErashDined on 9/17/2014We were looking forward to enjoying this notable chef's food, but it left something to be desired. The restaurant was extremely quiet, to the point we thought we were still whispering too loud. The menu did offer variety; we settled on the mussels to start and then the shrimp & grits and the corvina. The shrimp and grits were very tasty and had an excellent balance of flavors. The corvina was perfectly cooked, but it was served over a broth and the artichokes present in the dish were scarce (since artichoke was mentioned twice in the menu description this was odd)- With no starch and sparse greens, the fish was bland. Will not be back- better shrimp and grits at Growlers or Grill Marx for a more reasonable price