883 Highland Ave SE
Hickory, NC 28602Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlandavenuerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8282679800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Lee McKnight
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Highland Avenue
Highland Avenue is a "farm to table" restaurant housed in the East building of the historic Hollar Hosiery Mill. With a focus on sourcing local ingredients, Chef Kyle McKnight brings local fare to the table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Highland Avenue - Best Restaurants in Hickory ›
Highland Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Creative Preparation1curiousdinerDined on 9/15/2014I recently had a business meeting over dinner at Highland Avenue. Kathryn our waitress was very helpful in helping us navigate amongst the different choices to allow us to select two amazing entrees. I had the flounder special , lightly "fried" but surrounded by an amazing succotash and sauce. My associate had the chicken from the menu and it he said it was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Great New Spot in HickoryPaulYDined on 9/13/2014In a refurbished hosiery mill, the decor is consistent with the industrial look. As a real test, my wife asked the server if the chef could prepare a vegan plate for her. Plus she wanted no tomatoes, eggplant or potatoes. The server said the chef would be able to do that "no problem". I'm not sure what all was on her plate other than Crowder Peas, but my wife is still raving about her meal as the best she's ever had. My ribeye, a special for the night, was perfectly done (medium rare). Desserts were fresh and tasty. The service was attentive without being obtrusive. We'll definitely return.lSpecial Features:
- En-lightning!KwhityerDined on 9/6/2014This is a lovely gem in Hickory. The service was attentive and the waitstaff informed, our dinners were a great blend of flavors. The atmosphere is so great with all the windows in the old mill building. There was a crazy lightning storm and the viewing was spectacular. Thank you for an enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Highland Avenue, Hickory, NCFoodieFamilyDined on 8/29/2014Overall the food was OK. The shrimp and grits were more like a soup - way too much sauce. The burger, mussels and salads were all really good. The service was just OK.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodMikeyDined on 8/9/2014This was a great dining experience, from the coffee and bett butter to the pan sired fish, super great experience. Great service, and a fantastic wine list. I would highly recommend, me and my guests had a great experience.Special Features:
- Good food, SLOW serviceSMTCDined on 8/6/2014Highland Ave has great food but seems to always struggle to get it out. Waited 1hr 25 minutes from ordering to delivery of meal. Manager comped the entire entree cost which was very nice but we would prefer they figure out how to handle the volume. This is the second time in a row we experienced a long delay in being served. The wait staff is great and no reflection on them.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This is the best all around place in Hickory. My wife and are close friends go every two months or so and have never had a bad experience there.
- Every aspect was good!AlisonDined on 7/30/2014The food was delicious, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was funky cool! Try this place if you find yourself in Hickory.Special Features:
- Outstanding EventLoveitDined on 7/15/2014Our party of four celebrated three birthdays. Everything from the food to the service was OUTSTANDING and we will be returning and recommending to our friends and family.Special Features:
- ok but not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014Me and some out of town guest decided to check this new restaurant. We sat outside because the weather was great. Everything was just ok. The food was expensive for what you got. I dont mind paying 20+ for a meal but it needs to be worth it. The food was pretty bland and the menu was very limited. Additionally the service was horrible, again, if paying more for a meal the service should be more upscale, our server seemed like she didnt want to be there. She did mention it had been very slow so perhaps she was ready to be cut. Overall i would say I see what the they are trying to do but they are failing, my guests said we should have just went to texas roadhouse. I personally hate chain restaurants but would have to agree
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Great interior of an old textile mill. Good service. Foodie menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerpmk1Dined on 6/28/2014The menu should include something plain for people not wanting something with any spice/sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change for HickoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Highland Ave is a wonderful restaurant for several reasons, one is the atmosphere, 2nd is the local supplied foods and 3rd is the meals themselves (fantastic diversity and very flavorful). Best calamari in the world.Special Features:
- Fresh and creative foodWeekenderDined on 6/21/2014Great food. Be prepared to have new taste sensations!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnernclandmanDined on 6/10/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by going out for dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in Hickory. Highland Avenue is located in a beautifully renovated brick mill building. Upon arrival the staff set up a special table for us right by the large window. The food was excellent and our waiter, Ricardo, was very attentive without being overly so. Pretty well done especially since it was his first night working there. He even surprised us by picking out a delicious strawberry mousse with chocolate shavings for dessert to top off our celebration. Everything about dinner was perfect. Our only negative comment would be that the restaurant is fairly noisy, but perhaps that cannot be helped given the building's brick walls.Special Features:
- let downHKY2014Dined on 6/7/2014Had hoped for more. Made reservations for Sat. night...clearly not needed because empty tables were everywhere. Server came across poorly trained and nervous although very nice. He seemed to have female server flirting with him which was uncomfortable for him and annoying for us. She kept making immature comments to us as a way to get his attention. I will say he tried to ignore her. Food was well prepared although over priced. Very limited menu. Beautiful place. Would love to see this place make a few changes and make it.Special Features:
- A great dining experience!krisdcazDined on 6/7/2014What a great restaurant that fills a void in Hickory! We have been several times and have had a top notch experience each time. The ambiance is amazing and the creative cuisine as a cut above. The server was great and took a lot of time with us to steer our selections. We hope to come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!Table4TwoDined on 6/6/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Highland Ave. They did a great job renovating the old mill, maintaining the character of the building while giving the restaurant a sophisticated atmosphere. The service was fantastic and the staff works seamlessly as a team. They have an excellent selection of local wine and craft beer. The mixed drinks are very creative (you have to try the Rusty Gear)! Last but not least, the food was sensational. We started with a meat and cheese tray followed by a mixed green salad. We split the hangar steak, which was perfect, to save room for dessert. We split a piece of peanut butter cheesecake that was amazing! Highland Ave gets our highest recommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectHappyEaterDined on 5/31/2014We have been to H.Ave three times, and each time was great. Our first visit, we sat at the bar, where the bartender and cocktail/wine expert served us our beverages and dinner. He was amazing. This past time was my husband's bday and we had a crowd. Every detail was amazing, from the calamari appetizer to everyone's cocktails and entrees. Our food came out together, with a group of servers serving simultaneously,which was a nice touch. Our server was informative and patient with our crowd of 10. Thanks, H.Ave, for another memorable evening. Most especially, thanks for your farm to table offerings. We love to eat fresh and local. We will be back!Special Features:
- NICElocal1Dined on 5/24/2014GREAT PLACE FOOD WAS GREAT EXCELLENT SERVICE SPOT ONSpecial Features:
- The following 139 reviews are from the Highland Avenue reviews archive.
- On her birthdayFABIIIDined on 5/19/2014Took my wife on her birthday. Go back in a heart beat - Service and Food / GreatSpecial Features:
- Soft Shell HeavenChuckDined on 5/17/2014Best preparation of NC Soft Shell Crab ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Found on the internet Menu not as advertised -Very limited menu- Only appetizer salads -- no main course salads or choices of add. chicken or meat on menu to add to the salad. party of 7 people. 2 orders of Shrimp & grits which was OK. 5 orders of omelette Frittate which was barely warm & very rubbery. The restaurant was not busy, however, we had to wait 50 mins. for this. It was a special occasion for our family - 3 people drove from Charlotte-we were all very disappointed. Decor is upscale -- but you can't eat it.
- Great Dining ExperiencePiernaDined on 5/10/2014I took my wife for dinner this Mother's Day. It was a great meal, the appetizer was delicious and main courses were even better. I would highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions; since it can get pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I will say that the food was very good. The atmosphere was great and is a beautiful restaurant. The only problem I felt was the staff, They seemed very unsure about what they were doing. Also we had about 3 different wait staff attending to our table. It was just me and my girlfriend. We will try again another time and hope the wait staff is more relaxed and confident in what they are doing. It was the only thing that made dinner a little weird.Special Features:
- Fresh and Localluv2dineDined on 5/9/2014I love fresh, melt in your mouth food. H.A.V.E did not disappoint. I had Calamari for an appetizer, which was cooked perfectly. Most places it comes out tough and rubbery. The tile fish with a mashed potato, served with a savory sauce was also cooked perfectly and very tasty. Since it was my husband's birthday we all had dessert. He had the cheesecake and I had the homemade ice cream. Both were wonderful! Price wise I expected to pay on the upper end, but it was not terrible. I intend to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbfroulalaVIPDined on 5/7/2014everything we had was superb...appetizers---tortellini with house made sausage and flash fried calamari, entrees---braised short rib, burger. must come more often. all charcuterie are made in house by the chef. perfect for locavores and sustainable foodies.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerCharlie2014Dined on 4/23/2014Dinner was delicious and the service was wonderful. Always enjoy bringing clinets to Highland Avenue for dinner. Love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining ExperiencehermandreeDined on 4/20/2014I have had excellent service and food regardless of time of day or number of diners 2 to 100!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but very tastyPreferslocalDined on 4/20/2014The staff was on top og things and very gracious. The noise level makes conversation less fun. The lamb was beyond outstanding but the pork chop was undercooked and tough. It seems like a fu but infrequent place for us unless you add more lower end menu items. (Under $10)Special Features:
- Easter brunchJenerRussDined on 4/20/2014We took the family to brunch after church for Easter. We asked in our open table reservation if they were seating outside, that we would like to try it. When we arrived, it was packed!! But we wer greeted by name and asked if we still wanted to sit outside- it was amazing! They were soooo busy, but our very friendly server, Kayla (flanked with plenty of other friendly waitstaff to help her serve) took excellent care of us. The food was great (with the exception of the children's chicken tenders). LOVE this place - brunch is always a treat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outOutWithFriendsDined on 4/12/2014My second trip to Highland Avenue and it's a lovely restaurant. I hope the menu will change as the variety of options may start to seem lacking. It's a bit pricey for the foods being offered and we will only probably go a few times per year on really special occasions when we are in town. As far as the food goes, I had the trout. It was a bit overcooked and dry and they were out of the side I wanted to order, but that can happen anywhere. The service was lovely and seemless. Overall, I was very pleased with the restaurant and recommend it - especially to those that are staying away because of the prices. I will keep an eye on their menu on line and eagerly wait for new offerings to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem In Hickory, North CarolinaBillyBoyVIPDined on 4/7/2014No need to travel to Charlotte anymore, maybe not even Manhattan. Settle in at Highland Avenue and you can have the same food without the travel. Everything we ordered here was perfect. I don't know if the pork belly starter was better than the bed it was served on, but we ate both as fast we could. The hanger steak was perfectly cooked, and my only regret was that my wife would not let me get more of her lamb. Dessert was a panna cotta, and we have never tasted better. And we've eaten at some fine places around this world. I don't work for Highland Avenue, but I'm thinking of coming out of retirement if they offer dining benefits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Knew?! Great find in Hickory!MaryKDined on 4/5/2014Coming from Charlotte, we meet our Asheville family in Hickory from time to time for dinner. Hadn't yet found a great place to eat/meet, but that changed when we went to Highland Avenue this past Saturday. Both Charlotte and Asheville have such vibrant restaurant scenes that we've gotten pretty spoiled, but Highland Avenue rivals the best of both burgs! With a "farm to fork" menu, first-rate service and a beautiful space in a restored flour mill, this is not only a great concept but one that is realized in the excellent food served there. Highly recommend this dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland Ave was a hit!StoneyVIPDined on 4/2/2014I took a customer to Highland Ave and it was also my first time. It was a hit. The food choices are excellent and the service was fantastic. We can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our 3rd time at yourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014This was our 3rd time at your restaurant. The brunch we had there last Sunday was VERY disappointing! The food was awful & not at all what we expected. We've had dinner there twice & both times were very good. But, we will NEVER come there again for Brunch. What a waste of our $$! Tripp's far surpasses your Brunch on any day.
- Already slipping....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014We got seated at a table that was so wobbly that the glasses were falling off. It wasn't until I personally got under the table to try to stabilize it that someone came over to help us with it. There was no salt and pepper on the table... I had to ask for it. The porkchop and salads were good (which is why the food got 3 stars). The shrimp and grits can be described in one word... Boring! A serious pile of grits with the flavor of a bowl of breakfast porridge. The food came out way too fast, and once again, were reminded why we hated going out for dinner in Hickory (in and out in about an hour... seriously, does no one in Hickory understand if you're spending $100+ on dinner, you'd like to SAVOR IT!!?
- Great food and service. SupportingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014Great food and service. Supporting local farms with fresh meat that is all natural and veggies as well. My wife and I will def be backSpecial Features:
- Creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Great entree and appetizer selection, very creative! I loved the beet salad, beautifully presented and fresh tasting. Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The setting is very nice,davidDined on 3/22/2014The setting is very nice, food is good. Was rather noisy. Think the problem was due to being "Prom night". Have eaten there several times before but was never that much noise. Had difficulty even talking across the table. Will return but pay attention to school events.Special Features: