High Street on Market
308 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
High Street on Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highstreetonmarket.com/
- Phone: (215) 625-0988
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eli Kulp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
- Special Events: Friends and Family Dinners on Tuesday evenings from 9 PM on feature $25 prix fixe menus. See our website for more information!
A word from High Street on Market
High Street on Market serves Chef Eli Kulp"s contemporary American, hand-crafted, locally-inspired foods. Located on Market Street (formerly High Street during colonial times), High Street's dining room features local artisan work, milk-painted wood walls and factory windows. Counter seating in front of the completely open kitchen makes you feel at home. Eli's food is accompanied by a select wine list featuring winemakers whose work reflects the place and people from which the wine comes. Inventive cocktails include bottled and hand-crafted classics as well as new creations. High Street also serves from morning to afternoon house-baked breads from the local mill, sweet and savory pastries, sandwiches, salads and roman-stye pizza. Eli Kulp is also chef of Fork and was recently named a Food & Wine Magazine 2014 Best New Chef. Craig LaBan, Phiadelphia Inquirer, describes "[his] food [as] hauntingly good'. We hold seats for walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
High Street on Market - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
High Street on Market reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (146)neighborhood gem (89)hot spot (74)special occasion (51)romantic (35)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (24)good for groups (20)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fantastic Culinary ExperiencePhillyGuyVIPDined on 11/19/2014I brought 7 friends out on a Wednesday night and we had the best experience. Food, service, and drinks were all terrific! A must see place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divine food; lovely settingSnowfallVIPDined on 11/14/2014We had the sampler dinner. we were a party of 4. the food was to die for. We had 3 appetizers, 3 pastas, 2 entrees, 3 desserts. every dish was imaginative and delicious. i had the dove cocktail which i recommend and we shared one bottle of red wine. the wines are pricey but reputable. the servers are lovely. the room is small with maybe 10 tables. very charming, rustic furnishings and decor. so enjoyable to watch the 3 chefs at work in the kitchen. it is an open kitchen visible to all tables. very low-key, pleasant atmosphere. it's clear everyone who works there loves the entire concept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/14/2014We ordered the tasting menu, which is only $50 per person. It was excellent. We got to try eight different dishes, and they were all incredible. I am a vegetarian, including no eggs or fish, and they catered to that. The service was great, too. I would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingGoBlueDined on 11/13/2014The food is fantastic and the staff are great. Everything I ate that night was otherworldly. It is my new favorite place. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous MealQueenVillagerVIPDined on 11/13/2014This place deserves all the accolades it has received. The food was spectacular and the service was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Auditory AssaultOttawanDined on 11/11/2014The food may have been excellent and the waiter may have hospitable, however the experience was completely ruined by raucous music. I do not understand why owners with such obvious attention to the food experience can't grasp the importance of quiet enjoyment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/9/2014While producing excellent food, the kitchen did not pace the service properly.Special Features:
- Sunday eveningPauleeGVIPDined on 11/9/2014High Street is an amazing little place close to the waterfront in the old city neighborhood of Philadelphia. The food is unpretentious but excellent and the service unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDim2VIPDined on 11/9/2014I had visited for lunch a few months ago and am so glad a had my chance to enjoy dinner at this establishment. The options were extensive and just delectable. All of the vegetable appetizers were so unique and tasty! The main course and dessert were outstanding! We will definitely be back, and recommend this place as a place any foodie should put on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseDined on 11/9/2014Maybe it is me - Bon Appetit said it was the second best restaurant in the country. But I wasn't feeling it. I thought it odd to pay for bread and spreads, but had they been extraordinary I wouldn't have minded. THe octopus was excellent! One of the 3 pieces of rabbit in the entree was dried and overcooked; the other 2 were tasty. The desserts were tasty and interesting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014My girlfriend and I were in town for the Philadelphia Art Museum Craft Show , we come every year at this time. We generally go to our favorite Mexican restaurant on Friday night and new restaurant on Saturday night! We choice High Street because the we saw the rating in Bon Apetit! We expected a great dining experience and we received it! Seated on time for our reservation, friendly wait staff and the restaurant manager was EXTREMELY accommodating in helping us with a wine selection! We loved our dinners and the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014absolutely recommend the chef's tasting menu! Fantastic food, paced welll, and phenomenal service to go with it.Special Features:
- A tale of two citiesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014Food was fabulous and unique. Front of the house was inept. This restaurant will not be what it could be until both sides of the restaurant perform well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great...KatedohDined on 10/26/2014Good food, a little short of the #2 restaurant title by Bon Appetit. Small plates a but pricey for what you get, but good special occasion spot.Special Features:
- good food, be careful with winereggieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our second time here. Like the first, the food was excellent and innovative. Ordered an Oregon white wine @ $65 on the menu, discovered it retails for $12. Seems like a 540% markup on a $12 wine is excessive. One of us came 15 minutes late and it seemed like the server was not happy about it. I felt like we were not cool enough for the server. Upon paying, the server mixed up our credit card with another table's card, but caught the error before I did.Special Features:
- Fave in Old CityreservationistVIPDined on 10/25/2014High Street's ranking from Bon Appetit is well deserved. The food is innovative and delicious, and the bread is fabulous. It's the perfect combination of casual atmosphere and superior cuisine.Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014Read about this restaurant in Bon Appetit and it stood up to all the praise. My friend and I did the tasting menu (a steal at $50 per person) and were only disappointed that we couldn't sample everything on the menu. Would absolutely go back, will definitely recommend. Not too fancy, a little pricey for a typical night out but totally worth it.Special Features:
- Special treatLobsterVIPDined on 10/24/2014Amazing-creative and delicious! Had the tasting menu and loved it😃Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pamkVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was a place I had on my list for months- way too long to wait. What inventive, but always solid tastes and textures. The fifty dollar tasting menu was a true bargain, but a lot of food- so good it was hard to stop even when we were full. Definitely a place to remember!Special Features:
- Surprise gemfoiegrasDined on 10/10/2014I usually find recommendations don't live up to their billing. In this case, the recommendations were insufficient to describe the wonderful chef's table meal we had Friday night at 10:00. Though the hour was late, all the staff were patient, friendly, and considerate. One lovely server even found a loaf of cherry bread for me to take home. The food was outstanding, served in portions just large enough to be split. My favorite was the duck lasagna. As the crowd thinned out, it was easier to be heard across the table. Daniella, the knowledgable sommelier? was a delight and brought us a sample of a Finger Lakes Pinot Noir though I was very happy with our wine from Willamette Valley. It was a meal to remember and repeat.Special Features:
- First Rate Restaurant in Old CityFoodFanDined on 10/5/2014USA Today article on Pumpkin entree convinced us to go. Unfortunately, this dish was not featured since menu changes based on what is fresh and locally sourced. The menu was so creative - We loved the small portions and ordered a long list of choices without overdoing it. From the lamb carpaccio to beets, we were not disappointed. Our favorite was a mushroom eggplant dish - wonderful flavors and textures. Service was on point; my seat at the table faced the back of the room where food preparation was in full view. It was so fascinating to see the choreography of the kitchen and how hard everyone was hustling. Final word: The Bread Board is in a Class by itself. Be sure to include this in your High Street experience.Special Features:
- Sunday SupperTriflinDined on 10/5/2014This visit was a birthday celebration with friends; a Sunday supper. While I'd been to High Street on Market once before recently, the menu had gotten a fall overhaul and I was very pleased with the updates - including the addition of Caraway Rye Rigatoni. We were a group of seven, seated by the front window; a perfect spot for the number of people in our party. Great cocktails and wine, delectable dishes, and divine desserts! As before, the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Much ado about sharingSDMDDined on 10/1/2014Menu options were interesting making it difficult to choose. Luckily the menu is built for sharing so you can experience several items. Everything was so fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a culinary HighBetsySVIPDined on 9/28/2014Unassuming space but turns out really creative food. Sometimes more attractive than tasty but A+ for inventiveness. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I thought the food was very salty. Portions very small, but I guess that is trendy. Bread was terrific. I think a much better breakfast and lunch place than dinner place.Special Features:
- Sparse service, decor, and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014I've never been so disappointed in a meal in Philadelphia. It was terrible. I'm a vegetarian and I had been wanting to try the mushrooms for months. They were on the restaurant week menu on the restaurant week web site, but when we got there, they were not offered. They would not let me order them for part of restaurant week when I asked. Service was unsmiling and the waitress interrupted our dessert to ask if we were ready for bill. The portions of food were tiny and expensive. There are many delicious places to eat and we will never return here to this cold, overrated, underwhelming restaurant.
- Fantastic meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014The food was fantastic and the bread was phenomenal!Special Features:
- Customer Service is KeyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Expecting a great meal after the article from Bon Appetit Magazine, High Street on Market certainly did not disappoint. The atmosphere was great, as it felt as though you were eating in your own home's upscale kitchen which was fantastic. From the minute we got there, the service was amazing! Our server, Emily, immediately came over to us after we were seated and knew everything about both the drink and food menu. We chose one of the hand crafted cocktails, the vodka, cucumber and cilantro cocktail and it was so refreshing and beautifully made. The bread board is a must try as the cherry bread was just delicious! The Squash & Basil Tortelloni was the perfect end of summer, coming into fall entree. We would go back just for that!Special Features:
- Expected MorerichVIPDined on 9/17/2014Great service. Very welcoming and knowledgeable. We were seated on backless stools which resulted in bad backs at the end of the dinner. Our table for four turned out to be a counter for six. Hard talking because of the noise. Background music added to the discomfort. Perhaps I would go back in a non restaurant week. The food had high spots. The Arctic Char was amazing. The beets were wonderful. Country ham was worthwhile. Desserts disappointed.
- patioVIPDined on 9/17/2014The breads and spreads are a must. Avoid the lamb; it is the fattiest $45 piece of meat ever. It was nice to try something different, but I don't think I would go for dinner again. I would like to try breakfast or lunch here someday.
- Small plates can pack a punch!MsBoyerVIPDined on 9/14/2014I was a little concerned that the portions would be small and not fill me, but they were so flavorful that I was completely satiated at the end of the meal. Honestly, I was probably done before the end because the bread board was more than 2 people should really eat as an accompaniment. My absolute favorite starter was the Potted Shrimps. I love pate, and this reminded me of a shrimpy pate. I definitely want to return. I will probably still order the bread board.Special Features:
- Exciting, Inventive FoodZweenEugeneDined on 9/14/2014My sister and I decided to visit this restaurant for dinner upon my visit to Philadelphia. We chose the "Let us Choose" option, which was rather pricey, but *well* worth it. Our taste buds were constantly dazzled as we were served shrimp toast, zucchini flash-fried with rice flour and sparkling water, squid and sweet corn salad with squid ink, duck pasta, octopus pasta, and the list goes on. The procession of food was seemingly endless, and we were both waiting breathlessly for each new dish, delighted as can be at each new revelation. Servers were very informative and friendly. The wine recommendations were spot-on. My sister had a cocktail that was marvelous. Please try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekTmorVIPDined on 9/14/2014After reading the stellar press, we tried the High Street during Rest week . Spring Greens and Sweet Corn Caramelle were very good. The rest was average food except for the desserts which were by far the low point. In addition our water ran out during the entrée and was not refreshed. My wife's drink was knocked over, was replaced only after request and was double charged on our bill.
- Absolutely superbOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014High Street on Market has further raised the bar for the Philly restaurant scene. Truly outstanding--- from originality, quality, freshness, flavor and presentation. Will forever be comparing other restaurants to this one. Foodie heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAcm5255VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had such a great experience here and tried a ton of different small plates and pastas. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointFoodfanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Restaurant Week menu would definitely inspire us to return. Tried all four appetizers which was a perfect start to the meal. Especially loved the potted shrimp and beets. My husband's wagyu beef and my sweet corn pasta were both delicious, all accompanied by the surprisingly good wine from Macedonia. Who knew they made wine there? The trifle was a fine sweet ending but the peach crumb cake was a little dry, needed more of the accompanying cream on the side. And let's not forget our charming, ever so accommodating waitperson who went to Michigan State.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 9/11/2014Outstanding diamond in the rough I highly recommend this hot spot Bon appetit. Got it right We can't wait to return. The artic char the bread sampler was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth its RatingDdjjDined on 9/9/2014All of the food was fantastic, the restaurant had a great feel and look to it, and our waitress was friendly and energeticSpecial Features:
- FantasticMTagDined on 9/9/2014When a salad can blow your mind, you know the restaurant is exceptional. Flavors and textures were amazing. Cannot say enough good things about this restaurant!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was phenomenal. Awesome to have the kitchen in the dining room so you can see whats going on. Multiple dishes i wouldnt normally eat but tried and was blown away. If i had to make one critique, the steak was oversalted IMO. But when mixed with other components, worked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.