High Street on Market
308 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
High Street on Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highstreetonmarket.com/
- Phone: 2156250988x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eli Kulp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
- Special Events: Friends and Family Dinners on Tuesday evenings from 9 PM on feature $25 prix fixe menus. See our website for more information!
A word from High Street on Market
High Street on Market serves Chef Eli Kulp"s contemporary American, hand-crafted, locally-inspired foods. Located on Market Street (formerly High Street during colonial times), High Street's dining room features local artisan work, milk-painted wood walls and factory windows. Counter seating in front of the completely open kitchen makes you feel at home. Eli's food is accompanied by a select wine list featuring winemakers whose work reflects the place and people from which the wine comes. Inventive cocktails include bottled and hand-crafted classics as well as new creations. High Street also serves from morning to afternoon house-baked breads from the local mill, sweet and savory pastries, sandwiches, salads and roman-stye pizza. Eli Kulp is also chef of Fork and was recently named a Food & Wine Magazine 2014 Best New Chef. Craig LaBan, Phiadelphia Inquirer, describes "[his] food [as] hauntingly good'. We hold seats for walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
High Street on Market - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
High Street on Market reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (45)hot spot (42)romantic (28)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (19)good for groups (14)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Exciting, Inventive FoodZweenEugeneDined on 9/14/2014My sister and I decided to visit this restaurant for dinner upon my visit to Philadelphia. We chose the "Let us Choose" option, which was rather pricey, but *well* worth it. Our taste buds were constantly dazzled as we were served shrimp toast, zucchini flash-fried with rice flour and sparkling water, squid and sweet corn salad with squid ink, duck pasta, octopus pasta, and the list goes on. The procession of food was seemingly endless, and we were both waiting breathlessly for each new dish, delighted as can be at each new revelation. Servers were very informative and friendly. The wine recommendations were spot-on. My sister had a cocktail that was marvelous. Please try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekTmorVIPDined on 9/14/2014After reading the stellar press, we tried the High Street during Rest week . Spring Greens and Sweet Corn Caramelle were very good. The rest was average food except for the desserts which were by far the low point. In addition our water ran out during the entrée and was not refreshed. My wife's drink was knocked over, was replaced only after request and was double charged on our bill.
- Great experienceAcm5255VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had such a great experience here and tried a ton of different small plates and pastas. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointFoodfanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Restaurant Week menu would definitely inspire us to return. Tried all four appetizers which was a perfect start to the meal. Especially loved the potted shrimp and beets. My husband's wagyu beef and my sweet corn pasta were both delicious, all accompanied by the surprisingly good wine from Macedonia. Who knew they made wine there? The trifle was a fine sweet ending but the peach crumb cake was a little dry, needed more of the accompanying cream on the side. And let's not forget our charming, ever so accommodating waitperson who went to Michigan State.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 9/11/2014Outstanding diamond in the rough I highly recommend this hot spot Bon appetit. Got it right We can't wait to return. The artic char the bread sampler was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth its RatingDdjjDined on 9/9/2014All of the food was fantastic, the restaurant had a great feel and look to it, and our waitress was friendly and energeticSpecial Features:
- FantasticMTagDined on 9/9/2014When a salad can blow your mind, you know the restaurant is exceptional. Flavors and textures were amazing. Cannot say enough good things about this restaurant!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was phenomenal. Awesome to have the kitchen in the dining room so you can see whats going on. Multiple dishes i wouldnt normally eat but tried and was blown away. If i had to make one critique, the steak was oversalted IMO. But when mixed with other components, worked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Our dinner was fantastic however the desserts were very disappointing. We do intend to return.Special Features:
- Fantastic tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014Went for dinner with three other adults and a 7 yr old. We had 8 of their small plates, three pastas, and two entrees. Every. Single. Dish was fantastic. Can't compliment the food enough. The alcohol list isn't extensive, but what they lack in quantity they make up for in quality (we partook in beer, wine, and booze, and it was all very good; the mixed drinks are quite strong). The wait staff was very attentive and friendly, and it was cool to see the open kitchen. The food comes out fast, presumably because they are booked solid all night long and don't want you to dally... I would definitely come back, and I would definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Early dinner before concert CamdenSinjinsethDined on 9/5/2014Let us pick (8 samples off the menu for $50.00) was our choice. Great way to experience an overview of menu for the first time visit. Amazing dinner. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie FabulousKmil321VIPDined on 9/2/2014Two words: Bread Plate, it's a must must must, no wonder it was rated #2 best new restaurant in the U.S. Every dish was phenomenal, great beer selection. This is the ultimate foodie hot spot. The shrimp dish and the mushrooms are a must, they were fantastic. Our waitress was incredible as well, best spot I've found in all of old city.Special Features:
- overratedLolaDined on 8/30/2014one of Bon Appetit's top 10 new restaurants? Really? tiny portions, high prices, pay for bread, undercooked fish, blah deserts, weak coffee. won't be back.
- Fabulous new favorite!NewbieVIPDined on 8/30/2014My foodiest friends and I had tickets at the Arden, I'd heard great things about this place and really wanted to give it a try. (Fork is one of my best picks in town, so trying their new offshoot was really appealing.) Service was prompt, attentive, helpful, and personable. One friend doesn't drink alcohol, so our server modified one of the cocktails to be alcohol free and it was delicious. Three of us shared burrata and an octopus appetizer plus the AMAZING bread/spreads. All were wonderful. Entrees were the perfect size (i.e., not huge) and beautifully cooked/presented. My arctic char with trumpet mushrooms was excellent; the basil tortelloni and peekytoe crab pasta were hits with my friends. Strongly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Good food, but overhypedCadeInPADined on 8/29/2014I found High Street on Market from Bon Appetit - listed as the "#2 Best New Restaurant in America" (http://www.bonappetit.com/hot10). I was surprised to easily find a 7:45PM Friday reservation, and was excited to give it a shot. Now, the food was great. The portions were small, even for tapas, but delicious. The waitstaff seemed pleasant and knowledgeable, but overbearing and trying to rush courses/tables. They have a very limited liquor selection at the bar, but are quick to offer alternatives to suit your tastes. In all, it's a decent restaurant. Quality and presentation of the food was excellent, but the rushed service & overpriced menu ($170 for two - medium # plates, one drink apiece) left me feeling a bit irked about High Street.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACEcathdavVIPDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant is a true gem and not to be missed. From the service to the various types of tastes and foods it is fantastic. The small plates are such a great idea so you can have a little of lots. We loved it here and will be back the next time we are in Phili.Special Features:
- Ellin + Eli + Alex = HeavenTriflinDined on 8/28/2014A word to the wise...leave it to them! For $45pp, let the kitchen choose for you. It is an incredible deal, and a culinary dream! We sampled eight dishes, and from the Potted Shrimps to the Trifle, it was unforgettable. The service was impeccable, and the wine pairing was absolutely perfect. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great concept!pseudandryVIPDined on 8/28/2014Where else can you get a chef's choice tasting menu consisting of 8 dishes over 4 courses for only $45.00? Everything was well-prepared and tasty. They are known for their breads, and while we had to wait until our pasta course to be served the bread, it was worth the wait. Three different breads, and three wonderful experiences eating them. The menu changes daily to reflect the seasonal availability of ingredients, so describing each plate might be futile. Suffice it to say, though all 8 plates might not be your favorite, you won't walk away disappointed.Special Features:
- Good small patesmgreeDined on 8/27/2014The small plates are the best in this small offshoot of Fork. The "they choose 8 plates" is a good deal, but maximizing flavor means forgoing the pastas and entrees and sticking to the shareable small plates. The former feel like versions of the latter that have been scaled up but not out, i.e., the mains were kind of one-note-y. Nice booze list, with good local stuff. It was extremely loud.Special Features:
- great culinary experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014What a great experience . The food was innovative and palate pleasing! Each flavor and layer of food was an excitement to taste! The servers know their food ! The service was superb and the ambiance was fun & lively!!! Well done!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've ever eaten out.DiscerningMeDined on 8/24/2014Obviously, they're being recognized given their recent accolades, but this is truly the best meal I've ever eaten out. The breads and spreads were phenomenal, the mushrooms amazing and the corn caramelle was perfect. Pair that with excellent service and you have a winner, Eli. We will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it is cracked up to be!elfwilsVIPDined on 8/24/2014Limited bar menu. Lots of butter and salt. Disappointing Salad of greens was the best.Special Features:
- Bmarie28Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent food, wine list and service. The basil pasta melted in my mouth. My favorite dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd best new restaurant in country?DocyellowbirdDined on 8/23/2014I'll start by saying the service was unparalleled the quality and presentation of the food was outstanding. The only issues I had were the portions were described as not family style but not small portions...to be honest, these were small portions at best. The wine list although very reasonably price was very limited. I think it would be ideal to allow for a byob option. Overall we will certainly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!RespilosaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We've eaten here several times before, for both lunch and dinner, and are always pleased. The menu is extremely appealing and the food lives up to both the media hype and the menu itself. The setting is city comfortable and relaxed. Plenty to eat no matter what your restrictions.Special Features:
- Let down...mds622Dined on 8/22/2014I'm disappointed by my experience at High Street. I had been wanting to check out the restaurant for quite some time now and decided to take a foodie- friend for his Birthday dinner. To start, the service was lacking. Our server messed up both of our drink orders and once we ordered, we never saw him again. The best part of the meal was the bread (which you have to actually order?!) Being known for artisan bread, I thought maybe bread would be served for the table. The angry crab spaghetti was underwhelming and incredibly salty. The mushrooms were the one good dish of the meal. And to top it all off, I had called and asked for them to bring out a dessert with a candle in it, and they forgot. Overall, it was just an expensive disappointment
- got2goDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I had a wonderful evening there and really enjoyed the dining experience. The food was well prepared and quite unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffTrexlerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a delicious meal at High Street. Our children enjoyed the menu very much and we appreciated being able to share our plates with each other.Special Features:
- Gourmet food and attentive servicePretheatredinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Don't be afraid to go with the chef's choice - we did, and had no regrets. The kitchen sends out its choices; we wouldn't necessarily have selected them, but it would have been our loss. Potted shrimps, Mushrooms, Green Tea Garganelli, the lamb and one of the desserts (a type of cream that included goat's milk, the name of which I can't remember) were all standouts. Go easy on the bread so you can finish everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few stand-out dishesRichVIPDined on 7/25/2014The space is lovely, and the service is good. We had the tasting menu. The potted shrimp appetizer and striped bass collar entree were amazing; I mean really, really great. A multi-layer sorbet crumble dessert with raspberry creme was also excellent. The other dishes.... The octopus pasta dish looked great, but all we could taste was the massive dose of saffron. The duck over green tea pasta tasted weird and had disgusting presentation; it looked like cat food. Their wine program needs work. I asked for something light, dry, and most of all, not sweet. I was forced to try a rich Gewürztraminer. Uhhh. Then I was served one wine that tasted like brie, followed by a wine with so much apple flavor, I thought it might be cider. Choose carefully.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningBigsproutDined on 7/22/2014Imaginative, fresh,surprising. The pastas house made, the Arctic char was perfectly cooked with a crisp skin and melt-in-your mouth flesh, and the selection of house baked breads was fantastic. We ordered the 8 course let-the-chef-select-the-dishes and were not disappointed. Portions were generous. Staff super knowledgeable and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and inventiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014Beets with a beef broth? Onefof the many fabulous dishes we tasted. The lamb ceviche was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday visitLarInPhillyDined on 7/9/2014I stopped the restaurant earlier because considering a party of four reservation. Noisy due to reflection off the hard walls. The maitre d' turned away from me when I asked some questions about the menu. Nonetheless, I was asked to make a reservation for two. We gave it a try on a Wednesday night, just the two of us. The arctic char was extremely oily, being generally oily, it was too oily as prepared. The mushroom small plate was quite good. Surprised by a pasta only entree menu, possibly lack of menu research. The server, unlike my maitre d' experience, was initially cool but when I liked his wine recommendation turned quite cordial. Two small plates, a salad and the mushrooms + wine/cocktails = $96 before tip; reasonable.
- Every bite deliciousEatandtellDined on 7/6/2014Each course was perfectly presented, balanced tastes, and wonderful. Food was interesting, even amusing as the plate of different textured beets. Portions were restrained. I would recommend the tasting menu for a full dinner meal. I plan to return to sample breakfast and lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best food in PhillyPhlFoodieDined on 6/28/2014Loved everything we got. So delish!! The mushroom and beets were so good. The pastrami pasta was the best thing to ever hit my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Somewhat confusing menu but server was helpful with descriptions of amounts and wine pairings. The noise level, however, marred the experience (all the better to concentrate on the excellent food, I suppose) and the barware did not do justice to the unique and delicious artisan cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Delicious.YumInMyTumVIPDined on 6/25/2014Heard some good things about this new restaurant and tried it the other night. It was a bit expensive but so worth it. The menu was creative and so delicious. Each dish I tasted was amazing. The Spicy Crab Pasta was my favorite! The space is small so I imagine when others taste and realize how wonderful it is, it will be packed. I am now dying to try the brunch and lunch too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food made from scratchTharDined on 6/24/2014All of the food was made from scratch and to order to include the pasta. My aunt only does a gluten free diet and the chef was able to accommodate her by making one of our pastas gluten free and giving her gluten free bread. Everyone was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the food greatly and the restaurant had a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?!jlffoolDined on 6/20/2014Something must have been going on in the kitchen. This was one of the worst service experiences I've ever had. I had two children with me (7 and 9) too and they just couldn't get it together. We got some food, waited over an hour for other food. It was just a mess.
- A Tasting TemptationLindyDined on 6/19/2014Small plates, small portions, small eclectic menu in a neighborhood with many mediocre restaurants...we will return for another sampling but not for a while...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.