High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge
322 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19382Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highstreetcaffe.com/
- Phone: 6106967435
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jay Wenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We can arrange the room for special events.
- Private Party Contact: Don Syracuse 6106967435
- Entertainment: Live Jazz-the finest players the Philly scene has to offer featuring Dave Manley, Frank Gatas, Paul Kleinfelter and Jason Long. Every Wednesday is open Jazz Jam -so bring your axe and enjoy world class Jazz at its finest!!
A word from High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge
High Street Caffe, located at 322 S. High Street in historical West Chester, Pennsylvania, is best recognized for its Cajun, Creole and Exotic cuisine. With a Funky-Eclectic atmosphere and a "staff you will want to take home with you”, the High Street Caffé has long been a favorite of Chester County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge - Best Restaurants in West Chester ›
High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (30)hot spot (23)romantic (22)vibrant bar scene (14)good for groups (14)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always Good Food & Good Times.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014We've been coming to this restaurant for many years primarily for the food choices which are always good and decidedly different from the average 'fair'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vudo LoungeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Great food and atmosphere. All at very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy the visitJag3VIPDined on 10/18/2014I really enjoy the Cajun/Creole themed restaurant. Donnie is a great host and bartender too :-)Special Features:
- Slipping badly and overratedKenTDined on 10/8/2014We've visited the High Street Caffe many times in the past and this may be the last time. The food used to be very good and consistent. This particular visit it was horrible. I ordered the Etouffee, which you would think would be one of their best dishes since it is a Cajun place. It was obviously ladled from a large pot as all the shrimp and crawfish were incredibly overcooked (curled up very tight and tough). For a small plate of Etouffee for $25, you'd expect it to be fresh and obviously it was not. Also, it tasted like tomato sauce. Etouffee should not taste like tomato sauce. My wife ordered the filet and Etouffee. The Etouffee was bad but the filet was actually pretty good.
- Perfect Evening2happycampersDined on 10/7/2014Started out with great Happy Hour drinks and appetizers at the bar. Such a funky bar with Mardi Gras theme. Seated at a high table for dinner. Food was fantastic Cajun fusion; spicy with perfectly cooked seafood and generous portions. Service was excellent and since it was a Tuesday, we could BYOB for a small corkage fee. What a find! We will be back and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- FabulousLKeyDined on 10/1/2014I went the other night for my birthday dinner. I always have an outstanding experience when I go. The food is to die for, and I love, love, love the ambiance. My only complaint is that my entree was so big I didn't have room for dessert!! Can't wait to go back!! :)Special Features:
- Lionman51Dined on 9/28/2014The restaurant as not busy which somewhat surprised me. The food was very good and the staff was very courteous and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!TiffDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed our meal, didn't feel rushed and the food came out steaming hot. My only complaint was that my wine glass was very dirty and our server was overwhelmed with tables so he wasn't always available. Food was delish! Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comet1864Dined on 9/17/2014Small, tables are close, nice bar, nice selection, very college decor, creole food good, seasoned on the safe side, not inexpensiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- no more musselseat8oatDined on 9/13/2014After craving the mussels for months, we went back to have some and discovered they were no longer on the menu! They were on the online menu, so we didn't think twice about it, but when we got to the restaurant they were taken off. When asking the waiter if they were taken off, he said yes, but did not make suggestions or offer to see if the kitchen could still make them. The food here is always good, but we may not go back for a while now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousKascoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistently good, whether you try the unusual "gator", Cajun, or stick with the traditional fishes and meats,... there is nothing basic or typical about this food. It is always delicious. We were a party of 6 and everyone loved everything. Love this place.Special Features:
- Enjoyable as alwaysrcwestchesterVIPDined on 8/30/2014The calamari was light and crispy, my companion's braised short rib was tender and flavorful. We had the opportunity to eat outside....great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a disappointmentFrannyKDined on 8/30/2014The good: The cajun/New Orleans cuisine is great. Apps: Cajun popcorn, blackened stuffed mushroom excellent, even tried the fried alligator. Entrees: Jumbalaya excellent, red snapper with shrimp creole wonderful. The bad: Parking. Entrance to lot behind bldg is one way, difficult to enter (full). Street parking bleak. Seating is tight! First table we we couldn't navigate to get there! We are small people! Finally sat us at table near bar and 2 of us were bumped/jostled all nite. Service was very good until our waitress disappeared and a half hour later had to ask someone to find her so we could settle our check. Decision: Great martini menu and food but not worth the hassle.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent Dinner! Menu contained plenty of variety to please everyone in our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun in West Chesterraydw00Dined on 8/23/2014Nice cajun restaurant off the main drag of Market & Gay Streets. Food was decent though my wife's scallops were slightly undercooked and overly buttery to her liking. Would consider trying one more time.Special Features:
- Good, but...SandPDined on 8/20/2014Nice relaxed atmosphere, a pleasant waitress, and an appetizing sounding menu, but the food was a bit bland, especially for a "cajun" style restaurant. We had the cajun popcorn crawfish for appetizers, and the Jambalaya, and the Jambalaya Fettuccine for entrees. All seemed under seasoned.
- ExcellantnewtothisDined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and just an overall enjoyable evening. We had a party of six and anyone was pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemvcmix1Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant was a great place to have dinner. I've lived in the area for several year's and this was the first time I had seen this place. What a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new orleans style foodGreaseDined on 8/15/2014Gourmet food and great menu selections. Been several times, and always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticfood,great drink selectionL2eatDined on 8/9/2014Every single thing that came to our table was amazing! Everything had so much flavor, we couldn't decide whose was our favorite dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great restaurant. I had blackened chicken with a crab cake. Prices very reasonable. Great choices. Nice atmosphere also. Would recommend to anyone looking for a great Cajun/creole menu. Owner was also very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night outLeslieBDined on 7/26/2014We had a fabulous dinner at High Street Caffe. My husband used to live in Lake Charles, LA and when we have a hankerin' for Cajun food we go to High Street. The waitstaff was great and dinner was off the cuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysKirstenP01Dined on 7/19/2014I wish I could say I tried something new but the allure of Fried Shrimp Wenner and shrimp/crawfish etoufee gets me every time. Cocktails were delicious and the service was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesGwilyDined on 7/19/2014The food is consistently great and the servers are attentive and friendly. The seasonings are a culinary mastery and the combinations of flavors explode in your mouth. My husband had the crab cakes with an artichokes cream sauce and I had their famous jambalaya with chicken that is just spicy enough to enjoy the mix of flavors. The portions are generous but don't forget to leave room for dessert. The homemade confections are to die for. This is the only place we will ask for doggie bags to bring home leftovers.Special Features:
- DavidFVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great cajun food. Never had a bad meal. It's just a little tight which makes it difficult for the wait staff to get to the tables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of PaceDiner44Dined on 7/18/2014My wife and I have been going to High Street Caffe for years. The food use to be better but it is still pretty good and a great change of pace to the normal West Chester offerings. They have several very good traditional New Orleans apps and meals and a few that don't cut the mustard. The prices have steadily risen over the years making it more of a special occasion restaurant versus a regular stop for us. We still enjoy the change of pace even if it is less frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, less formalMikeyDined on 7/11/2014I had not been to High Street Caffe since before the major renovation that happened several years ago, but I recall it feeling like more of a high-end place than the restaurant my wife and I visited for her birthday. The new bar feels like the bar at any West Chester restaurant, and the overall ambiance feels like an attempt to meld a college bar - complete with strings of lights - with a fancy restaurant. The restaurant was pretty loud, and the service was pretty slow for a Friday night. Having said that, the food was as good as I remember. The blackened alligator appetizer was tasty, as was the shrimp and crawfish jambalaya. I would recommend it for some tasty food, but not for a fancy date.Special Features:
- Great food, but not for the moneyhippymasterVIPDined on 7/5/2014Étouffée was very tasty, and the crab and watermelon salad was fresh and eclectic. However, you gotta judge the food by its price, and at $37 for the two dishes....in Westchester, I'd say it wasn't quite the value for money I've enjoyed elsewhere locally. However, if you've got deeper pockets, it's definitely a taste treat to take advantage of often.
- The following 387 reviews are from the High Street Caffe & Vudu Lounge reviews archive.
- favoriteLaylayVIPDined on 7/1/2014This is one of my favorite spots. Haven't had a bad meal yet. Owner Don is very kind and generous! We be back many times this summer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as we remember..VelvetHarryDined on 6/25/2014My wife and I used to live walking distance to High Street Caffe and visited it several times for special occasions like Valentine's Day, Anniversaries, etc. and always found the food and atmosphere to be awesome. They make upscale Cajun food, but still keep it pretty simple rather than trying to compete to see who has the most obscure ingredients like a lot of "foodie friendly" places these days. High Street takes ingredients like their "Holy Trinity" of peppers, onions and celery and puts together just outstanding, perfectly cooked dishes that are amazing. I had blackened chicken, shrimp and scallops over dirty rice with a bit of Cajun mustard sauce and it was divine. Great and helpful service as well and great beer selection.Special Features:
- A Favorite SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014The High Street Cafe is one of my favorite places to take friends, business partners and client to. It has great food and a unique "feel at home" atmosphere. The service is attentive and the patrons are both local and from far away places. It is a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewflockDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I had dinner at the Vudu Lounge on 6/21/14 and had a great time. Excellent food and service. Extensive beer and wine list. Would highly recommend the place to my friends. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!FilygalDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food ALL THE TIME! High Street Cafe NEVER disappoints! The food is excellent and everyone there is SUPER!Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodServiceMusicJeffDDined on 6/20/2014Always enjoy getting a group of friends together for a night out for food, drinks, and music. Love the band The Sermon! high energy and perfect cool the room.Special Features:
- FantasticFoodie24Dined on 6/20/2014The food and atmosphere are outstanding. I've been here plenty of times but it was my fiancès first time and I was literally waiting for him to pick up his plate and like the remaining food up. The service never disappoints despite the small space and busy area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in West ChesterThefeedDined on 6/14/2014The food is incredible. We never leave disappointed. It is a very small place so make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Spot with Interesting VibeVegetarianVIPDined on 6/11/2014High Street Caffe continues to reinvent itself--always in a purple and black hue. On this occasion, four of us had lunch. It was pleasant, but we commented that the menu had less options than before and there were no specials to augment the offerings. Lots of meat and seafood--not much else.
- Consistent Cajun FoodwcdinerVIPDined on 6/7/2014If you enjoy New Orleans style food, you will enjoy High Street Cafe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014I went here with my boyfriend for a last minute dinner date, we sat down and had our drinks and bread brought out right away. We put our order in and it took about 30-40 minutes for our good to come out. The food was awesome as far as taste. And they gave us complimentary desert to make up for the wait. I thought that was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good southern vibeJammanDined on 6/5/2014Decor was eclectic and classy. Food was New Orleans based, very good. Service was attentive. Prices were a bit high is my only fault w the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.