High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 724-3815
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
363 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (224)fit for foodies (208)romantic (153)notable wine list (114)good for groups (99)great for brunch (83)neighborhood gem (76)vibrant bar scene (65)hot spot (45)late-night find (23)scenic view (21)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- The food was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2008The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. High Cotton did a wonderful job of making our special occasion extra special!Special Features:
- The bar service was very veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2008The bar service was very very slow, reserve early for groups,no vegetarian entree's, other than that food was good and service at table was excellent.Special Features:
- This is our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2008This is our favorite restaurant in Charleston by far and we are sure to make reservations every tiem we are in town. Everytime the food is wonderful, the wine recomendations are spot on and the service is second to none. Be sure to order the soufle when you order dinner. It is worth the wait, but why bother.Special Features:
- We had a great dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2008We had a great dinner and enjoyed the excellent food- definitely worth dining at.Special Features:
- The food was good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2008The food was good, not great. Overpriced for the quality and ambience. I have heard great things about the brunch, maybe I will try that instead next time.
- Food is always very good butCathyDined on 6/15/2008Food is always very good but this visit our service was mediocre.We ran out of beverage.Also had to wait on condiments.Special Features:
- We waited a half hour forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2008We waited a half hour for our table. Which was okay as we sat at the bar. Our waiter appeared quickly, took our appetizer order and wine order. Obviously he forgot to order our app, as our brunch was ready and we had not had the appetizer we had ordered. He never brought the wine bucket for our wine and a side dish we ordered never arrived. My steak and eggs was disappointing as I had seen it served on the adjacent table and the beef was wonderful slices of m r tenderloin. Mine was end chunks of tenderloin. Duck hash was also very disappointing. No pieces of duck just shreds and too many over-sized pieces of potato. Hopefully they were just having a bad day and we got the last dregs!!!
- High Cotton came very highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2008High Cotton came very highly recommended! We enjoyed ourselves very much and would definitely return.Special Features:
- We love High Cotton. It isOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2008We love High Cotton. It is one of our favorite restaurants and we go there frequently to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2008We had a wonderful experience at High Cotton. The food was fabulous and our waiter was very informative. My husband and I shared the porterhouse ( it was too large for just one) and our waiter divided the dinner for us before bringing it to our table. I would definitely recommend High Cotton.Special Features:
- Because of the gas prices,MPCriticDined on 6/10/2008Because of the gas prices, we took a "stay-cation" to enjoy the Charleston area where we live. A dinner at High Cotton was the highlight of our dining experiences and had never dined there before. The waitress was very friendly! We did have a short wait for our table, but it was quite busy. The fried buttermild oyster appetizer was to die for! The best we have had anywhere in Low Country. And the fried green tomatoes were perfect! The filet and Maine lobster tail was okay - the lobster done perfectly (but very small - being from New England, I wondered if it was even what we called "legal".) The filet was good, but peppery. A bit on the rare side for ordering medium rare. Everything else was great. We had a lovely window table.Special Features:
- The wine brought to me wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2008The wine brought to me was from a bad bottle, which was surprising. The appetizer was good but my boyfriend's dinner of salmon was mediocre. My dinner of halibut was good. The famous praline souffle was disgusting, and I don't think I would recommend people to go to dinner here because of the overpriced and only average food. I was disappointed overall.
- Dining at High Cotton is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2008Dining at High Cotton is always a pleasant and memorable experience. The food and service are almost always impeccable.Special Features:
- We were ther for a SpoletoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2008We were ther for a Spoleto weekend and High Cotton was the High Dining experience.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2008Unbelievable Restaurant!!! Charleston is FULL of fabulous food and restaurants but High Cotton was just about a perfect dining experience. From the second we walked in the door of this beautiful establishment, the attention and service were just right. The super friendly, helpful staff made us feel like they had been waiting for us to arrive. Our waiter had lots of great recommendations and he was just attentive enough with being annoying. The food was incredible, the atmosphere cozy and welcoming. High Cotton is without a doubt a Must Do restaurant in Charleston - don't miss it!Special Features:
- Excellent Food! This is myOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2008Excellent Food! This is my favorite restaurant in Charleston!Special Features:
- The menu attempts a compromiseAvidDinerVIPDined on 6/7/2008The menu attempts a compromise between serious and tourist-friendly and mostly succeeds.
- Great Restaurant. Very wellJoe1Dined on 6/7/2008Great Restaurant. Very well trained and courteous staffSpecial Features:
- Loved the food - the friedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2008Loved the food - the fried green tomatoes were wonderful!Special Features:
- Great food and service. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2008Great food and service. I did not get my green fried tomatoes as a side, and don't believe we were charged. I personaly did not look at the check. So I cannot say for sure that we were not charged. But I can say I did not get, nor eat any fried green tomatoes. I don't think it was anything but a fluke. I will come back again and will recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- This was a very pleasant experienceBarDenVIPDined on 6/1/2008This was a very pleasant experience in Charleston, S.C. where I was visiting for the first time. Food was excellent. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Would recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Very good brunch. We lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2008Very good brunch. We loved table 15. Good service.Special Features:
- We went to High Cotton twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/1/2008We went to High Cotton twice while in Charleston. We originally made brunch reservations, and we loved it so much that we stopped for lunch before traveling back to the airport from Savannah! Loved the bloody Marys, as well as the peach pancakes. I had a delicious fish taco special when we visited for lunch. Loved this place. Also, top notch service.Special Features:
- High Cotton is always a favorite.luv2eatDined on 5/28/2008High Cotton is always a favorite. We love the ambiance, the service and the food is always terrific. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2008Great atmosphere, great food with Southern flavor. My waiter was very informative and personable and made sure my father and I were well taken care of. The Swordfish was one of a kind - I have only ever had interest in a specific fish meal and that was a Salmon dish out of Richmond, VA. I have definitely added High Cotton's Swordfish to my fish list! Truly enjoyed the experience and would, no WILL, most definitely return!Special Features:
- Excellent food, quite creative,OTfanaticVIPDined on 5/27/2008Excellent food, quite creative, very nice location. Prices are commensurate with quality.Special Features:
- we were unfortunate to beOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2008we were unfortunate to be placed at a table next to a women that was oviouly drunk on her wine and spoke with an extremely loud voice we also didn't receive the side order of collards we requestedSpecial Features:
- Our waiter, Ward, was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2008Our waiter, Ward, was very informative and suggested the specials: beef tenderloin over dirty rice and Carolina stuffed trout. They were both amazing. We also had the cheese board which was very tasty and palate pleasing. It came with a candied walnuts, fig, and slices of apple for garnish. Very impressionable for our first time. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Our table was very good withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2008Our table was very good with a nice view. The waitress went above and beyond with service and even put a candle on dessert for our anniversary. The food servers were also very polite and helpful. Food was some of the best we have had in Charleston. Very good experience and we will go back.Special Features:
- This is my second dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2008This is my second dinner at High Cotton. It is a wonderful place to dine and the food is exceptional. A must stop while in CharlestonSpecial Features:
- We love High Cotton for SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2008We love High Cotton for Sunday Brunch. Great Bloody Mary's, buttermilk fried oysters..the menu is wonderful and the service is friendly and top shelf..Special Features:
- We always try to make it forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2008We always try to make it for brunch on Sunday when we're in Charleston. We love the atmosphere, the fans and the food.Special Features:
- The only disappointment wasAdamVIPDined on 5/24/2008The only disappointment was that the white wine we ordered was not at the right temperature. The server admitted to this and did her best to chill it table-side but it reached the proper temperature well into our lunch. I commend her efforts but this should never happen at a restaurant of High Cotton's caliber. We should have been compensated for the trouble.Special Features:
- This was our 2nd visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2008This was our 2nd visit to High Cotton. Both times the food was outstanding and the service was second to none. Thank you for a wonderful time.Special Features:
- A MUST for all CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2008A MUST for all Charleston visitors! Excellent food, wine list, and service.Special Features:
- We liked High Cotton veryDesirae316Dined on 5/20/2008We liked High Cotton very much but only becuase there are so many wonderful restaurants in Charleston we won't be going back soon.Special Features:
- I travel for business andOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/20/2008I travel for business and have eaten lots of places in Charleston, this one moves to the top of my list!Special Features:
- We have been coming to CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2008We have been coming to Charleston for over 15 years and have eaten in many of its fine restaurants. This was our first (but not last) visit to High Cotton. It is definitely in our top 5 favorite Charleston restaurants along with Circa 1886 and Blossoms. The service was excellent - friendly and attentive but not obtrusive. The food in taste, presentation, and innovative combinations was a multi-sensory treat. We will be back.Special Features:
- We celebrated our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2008We celebrated our anniversary in style at High Cotton. An outstanding dinner. The special chocolate praline soufle is to die for.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding...theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2008Food was outstanding...the steak was incredible, with the bacon sauce...wow. Also the best crab cake I've ever had. The waiter was not that great. He wasn't very polished and was very distracted.Special Features: