High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437243815x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
349 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (226)fit for foodies (184)romantic (152)notable wine list (93)great for brunch (92)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (64)vibrant bar scene (43)hot spot (41)scenic view (26)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Wonderful Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014High Cotton is a beautiful restaurant - soft lighting, moderate noise, high ceilings! we had a wonderful birthday dinner with our oldest son. the food was excellent, service was great and ambience perfect! we'll definitely put it on our favorites list for Charleston!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The restaurant, the service and the food was perfect, they catered to the occasion which really put them over the top. Awesome Awesome Awesome, would recommend to everyone and will definitely come again!!! ALL SMILES NO COMPLAINTS :D :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special this timeMarthaeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Overall just okay at this visit. Our waiter was excellent though. Food was salty according to most people in our party. Probably won't make any special effort to come back when in Charleston again.
- My Favorite PlaceLinaDined on 9/14/2014High Cotton is always on my list as the "BEST" in town, we live in Charleston and visit when ever we are looking for a good consistent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful brunch!GraceDined on 9/14/2014High Cotton in Charleston is our go-to Sunday brunch spot when visitors come into town! The Charleston ambience, the live music and the assortment of fine dishes all add to a wonderful experience! A tad noisy for quiet conversation, but the lively environment speaks to "a good time had by all!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zero ComplaintsRichDined on 9/13/2014My girlfriend and I went dined at High Cotton for the first as a part of our anniversary celebration. As soon as we got to our table, there was a note from the manager congratulating us on our anniversary and thanking us for spending it with them and our waiter immediately brought over to flutes of champagne for us. Just two really nice gestures. Our waiter was great, the food and drinks were delicious...overall, would recommend to anyone that would listen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown ExperienceStevieBDined on 9/13/2014If you're downtown, don't miss this one. Very good food with very good service. Great spot to get a drink before dinner. Sat us on time, but didn't rush dinner! Will return when I get back to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat for Guestsreservations4sixDined on 9/13/2014We had company from New Hampshire and wanted to show them Southern charm and ambiance - and great food! Mission accomplished with High Cotton. Smoky Rose is a treat from the bar and not to be missed. Luca at the bar sets the tone for the restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSullyDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at High Cotton but it will not be my last. From the first course to Desert everything was prepared perfectly and the presentation was wonderful. It was my wife's Birthday and the wait staff made it very special. The Flounder was prepared perfectly as well as the Duck Marsala. If you have never experienced High Cotton you are missing out on a great dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I Ordered Filet Medium Rare received Medium and dry. Spouse ordered Filet Medium received medium well. We are frequent diners here but were very disappointed. Front Desk handled seating very poorly. Overall we were unhappy given the many good experiences we have had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiesltgpepperDined on 9/12/2014You will love the shrimp and grits. The 3 of us love 'good' food. Try to go to the best resturants we can when we travel. Lunch and dinner. This ranks high on the list in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodLettyDined on 9/12/2014I took my 7 year old niece and 10 year old nephew who both enjoyed rabbit appetizer abd the entrees; wahoo with beet risotto and the flat iron steak which was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014High Cotton was a nice place for dinner. The food was pretty good but I have had better. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We always have a wonderful time at High Cotton. The atmosphere is amazing and they almost always have live music near the bar. Its very fancy and the service is always very professional. A word to the wise: this is not a place to bring children! The wine selection is also impressive. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal, great ambianceMichelleDined on 9/9/2014I thought the food was on par with other East Bay St establishments. I think it's a beautiful restaurant and the service was good as well. We went for restaurant week and were able to get the same quality service and food as we've gotten in the past when they weren't doing a promo.Special Features:
- High Cotton, Jazz, and Great food!LocalsDined on 9/9/2014We went to High Cotton for a birthday celebration. We sat in the bar area in order to listen to a jazz band, which if you sat elsewhere in the restaurant you could hear as well through speakers, so no one misses out. We had an excellent cup of Capuccino and dessert. The blueberry pie was delicious! We will be back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmospherehgchicDined on 9/9/2014The food was wonderful, the service was impeccable, we had a wonderful business dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/8/2014Small rooms provide a comfortable ambiance and adaptations of traditional menu items to southern produce and local providers is flawless and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, but didn't dazzle usintheboxDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant is beautiful and service was great. The food was good, but not great, particularly compared to their partner restaurant down the street. High Cotton was our highest restaurant bill during our Charleston visit, but did not dazzle us with the food. We expected better ... the food should have tasted more interesting.Special Features:
- Loved itDanielleyDined on 9/7/2014The service was excellent, the jazz at brunch was a great touch, and all of the good was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place!terryDined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing. I had the filet of beef is was cooked to perfection. Everyone in my group loved their dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romanticTravel2dineDined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I had a romantic table next to the window in the smaller room off to the side. We loved each bite! Wonderful and a must stop in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatDined on 9/5/2014Very good food. Had the shrimp n grits and got 12 large shrimps. Very generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKurtDined on 9/5/2014Great selection and a great way to experience places we've heard and read about but not yet visited since our relocation from Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, so-so servicelocaldinerDined on 9/4/2014We have eaten at High Cotton before and found the service to be exceptional. This time, not so much. We had to ask for bread, and what we received were the dried out ends of French loaves (or French rolls cut in half - either one, the bread was stale). Our food was brought out at different times so that some of our party received their entrées well after the rest of us. It took about 20 minutes to get our desserts, and this was after 10 pm - the restaurant was almost empty. Our server was polite and friendly, but not very attentive. The food was excellent, which was helpful because we had highly recommended the restaurant to our hostess for the eveningSpecial Features:
- Best Birthday dinnerLo52092Dined on 9/2/2014I took my boyfriend here for a birthday surprise, we were greeted with complimentary champagne and lobster salad. The service and food was off the charts amazing it made our night so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in CharlestonKMcNallyDined on 8/31/2014I love all of the Maverick Southern Kitchens, but our trip to High Cotton this weekend stands out as one of the best. We had an amazing brunch on Saturday and promptly returned for dinner the next evening. We can not say enough about the staff, the food, the atmosphere -- the whole experience. High Cotton is one of the best restaurants in Charleston; certainly the best fried oysters in town.Special Features:
- DMattVIPDined on 8/30/2014A great meal, from salad to desserts (peach cobbler to die for!). Beyond the good food, the bar area, with its jazz trio playing, is a very adult, very enjoyable way to spend the after dinner evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of CharlestonCharlestonianDined on 8/30/2014High Cotton is now our new favorite in Charleston. The food, atmosphere, and service was wonderful the entire evening. From the time we entered this beautifully decorated restaurant, they made you feel welcomed. Elise our server, who is a native Charlestonian, was wonderful! I had the lamb, my son the sword fish, and my husband the oysters. Everything was so delicious. Thanks so much for a lovely evening. My son, whos 40th Birthday we were celebrating, told me that it was the best meal he had had in 10 Years!!!Special Features:
- Imaginative foodfooddivahDined on 8/30/2014we had brunch Labor day weekend. We had a reservation but the hostess seemed surprised upon our arrival. We were given a wonderful table with a clear view of the downtown Charleston foot traffic. The restaurant follows suit with southern decor, very charming. Our waiter could have been more attentive, he stopped by very seldom. But he was pleasant. We tried the smoked Doughnuts holes with bacon for starters. Delicious! I ordered a pork tenderloin with pureed yams and a honey glaze. My Boyfriend had the steak and eggs benedict with potatoes and hollandaise sauce. Our meals were good and presentation was good as wellSpecial Features:
- Good restaurantGoodfoidDined on 8/28/2014Good restarant but didn't like the noise. The soufflé was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz loverTravelerDined on 8/26/2014Great music. Food very beautiful presentation and very delicious.Special Features:
- Very happy with the Maverick GroupJamarine73Dined on 8/25/2014I have dined in several of the Maverick Group restaurants and find them all to be tastefully done. The food and service are notable and I appreciate their customer service. The group is also a staple to the local community and they are very supportive of the city, which is important to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, live musicEd10014Dined on 8/24/2014High Cotton serves the best brunch in Charleston. The crab cakes on fried green tomatoes with poached egg and hollandaise is a great tweak on Southern cooking. My companion had the fried oysters, spinach, poached egg which was also great. We each had a brunch drink. The bill was $53. I particularly appreciated that there was live jazz being played in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!!JennemarDined on 8/24/2014We had a wonderful brunch at High Cotton. The pricing was fairly reasonable and the ambiance was great for early afternoon. It was a very welcoming atmosphere with southern charm, of course! The service was wonderful and the food was quite tasty. I would love to go back for dinner next time I'm in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Brunch to RememberJulieALDined on 8/24/2014Our culinary tour of Charleston culminated with Brunch at High Cotton. Talk about ending a fabulous weekend on a high note! The live band in the bar set the tone for a lively, Southern brunch to remember. The staff was very accommodating of our larger party (7) and the server was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Several members of our party got the Crab Cakes Benedict, and we're still talking about this dish! Served over Fried Green Tomatoes, this was southern brunch perfection! We sampled the donut holes while we were waiting for our food, which were also excellent. Overall, everyone loved the food and atmosphere. A Charleston-must!Special Features:
- Jazz brunch on the weekendsAB88BostonVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was great and the restaurant had a very authentic southern feel. Would recommend asking to sit in the bar area near the jazz band otherwise you can't really hear the music. The crab Benedict and oyster spinach florentine both were deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayLouieDined on 8/23/2014Was a birthday dinner. Very nice how the manager had a birthday card at the table. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Love this placeNCFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I understand from our server that they've changed Chefs since last summer. This is unfortunate (for my wife and I) because his lamb last year was the absolute best I have ever had in my life. We in fact came back just for that lamb but alas, it changed. With that said, the lamb we had still very good as was everything else. High Cotton is still a must visit for us and would easily recommend it to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodDesignGalDined on 8/23/2014The food was pretty good, but there is certainly better places in Charleston to go to. Service is okay. The woman bartender was not friendly at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.