High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437243815x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (218)fit for foodies (189)romantic (146)notable wine list (92)great for brunch (91)good for groups (75)neighborhood gem (65)vibrant bar scene (46)hot spot (42)scenic view (26)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We have tried many restaurants in the area. Everywhere we went high cotton was highly recommended and rightly so. It was a fantastic night out and we would highly recommend it to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014the food, atmosphere and service was great...we enjoyed our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMENSUKDined on 9/25/2014The food was excellent, beautifully served. The noise level was way too high. It is still one of our favorites, but we hope the noise level can be fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best First ExperiencesouthernfoodieDined on 9/24/2014It was one of our first business trips to Charleston. And thank goodness we stumbled upon this gem. High Cotton is a beautiful establishment in the heart of downtown Charleston. The food is absolutely exquisite and the staff provided excellent service. I had the 12 oz. steak with delicate delicious gorgonzola stuffed gnocchi. (melts in your mouth!) We couldn't have asked for a better dinner after winding down from a long day at work. I would highly recommend this restaurant: service was excellent, food is heaven in your mouth. If they happen to have the banana pudding icecream, go for it!Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014On vacation...had searched a number of places on line...High Cotton had received excellent reviews...like what I saw on the menu. It was my wife's birthday...so wanted to make it special. Had a great table next to the window for people watching, waiter was so great....neat personality. antelope Carpaccio appetizer was to die for.......wife got swordfish, which was a 9 of 10......I had their famous shrimp and grits which was excellent...topped of by the best chocolate mousse...ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We were excited to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary at High Cotton based on a friends experience and recommendation. However, we did not have the same outstanding experience. We ordered the seafood appetizer and was disappointed with the lack of flavor. I ordered the res snapper special and it was very good. My husband ordered the risotto pasta special, but was disappointed with the dish. We ordered the key lime tart and the chocolate mousse for dessert, both very good. Our server was average, he performed the "duty" of delivering our meal, but did not make any recommendations, offer any suggestions or much else. Perhaps it was a bad night for him. Overall, a mediocre experience.Special Features:
- mediocre at bestMattDined on 9/21/2014Expected much better food then received. The cheese plate was very good but the entrees were extremely bland.
- One of our favoritesSpectacularVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is one of our Charleston favorites...we always have a great time and great foodSpecial Features:
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We were treated like royalty. It was wedding brunch and everyone went out of their way to make it special. Thank You. Everything from wait staff to food was excellent. A great way to start our honeymoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014In the section we were seated in, the tables were too close together. It was not private at all. I felt as if I was in a diner as opposed to eating in a fine restaurant. The food and service were as expected...very good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!foodiechickDined on 9/20/2014High Cotton is a beautiful restaurant - soft lighting, moderate noise, high ceilings! we had a wonderful birthday dinner with our oldest son. the food was excellent, service was great and ambience perfect! we'll definitely put it on our favorites list for Charleston!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerdinningqueenDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant, the service and the food was perfect, they catered to the occasion which really put them over the top. Awesome Awesome Awesome, would recommend to everyone and will definitely come again!!! ALL SMILES NO COMPLAINTS :D :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingluvcharlestoneatsDined on 9/15/2014Charleston is known for its food and this restaurant was high on our list to try. It was truly disappointing from the service, food and the loud talking couple right against our table. The waiter did not go over the menu with us. he did not inform us on how large some of the portions were. The salads we ordered were so big that they could have been meals themselves. I ordered a chicken dish that literally hung off the plate. My husband had a fish meal that was tasteless. Large on portions. low on taste and quality. I hope this was just an off night. We also sat next to a couple who complained of their relationships all night and were very loud.Special Features:
- Nothing special this timeMarthaeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Overall just okay at this visit. Our waiter was excellent though. Food was salty according to most people in our party. Probably won't make any special effort to come back when in Charleston again.
- My Favorite PlaceLinaDined on 9/14/2014High Cotton is always on my list as the "BEST" in town, we live in Charleston and visit when ever we are looking for a good consistent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful brunch!GraceDined on 9/14/2014High Cotton in Charleston is our go-to Sunday brunch spot when visitors come into town! The Charleston ambience, the live music and the assortment of fine dishes all add to a wonderful experience! A tad noisy for quiet conversation, but the lively environment speaks to "a good time had by all!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zero ComplaintsRichDined on 9/13/2014My girlfriend and I went dined at High Cotton for the first as a part of our anniversary celebration. As soon as we got to our table, there was a note from the manager congratulating us on our anniversary and thanking us for spending it with them and our waiter immediately brought over to flutes of champagne for us. Just two really nice gestures. Our waiter was great, the food and drinks were delicious...overall, would recommend to anyone that would listen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown ExperienceStevieBDined on 9/13/2014If you're downtown, don't miss this one. Very good food with very good service. Great spot to get a drink before dinner. Sat us on time, but didn't rush dinner! Will return when I get back to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat for Guestsreservations4sixDined on 9/13/2014We had company from New Hampshire and wanted to show them Southern charm and ambiance - and great food! Mission accomplished with High Cotton. Smoky Rose is a treat from the bar and not to be missed. Luca at the bar sets the tone for the restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSullyDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at High Cotton but it will not be my last. From the first course to Desert everything was prepared perfectly and the presentation was wonderful. It was my wife's Birthday and the wait staff made it very special. The Flounder was prepared perfectly as well as the Duck Marsala. If you have never experienced High Cotton you are missing out on a great dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I Ordered Filet Medium Rare received Medium and dry. Spouse ordered Filet Medium received medium well. We are frequent diners here but were very disappointed. Front Desk handled seating very poorly. Overall we were unhappy given the many good experiences we have had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiesltgpepperDined on 9/12/2014You will love the shrimp and grits. The 3 of us love 'good' food. Try to go to the best resturants we can when we travel. Lunch and dinner. This ranks high on the list in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodLettyDined on 9/12/2014I took my 7 year old niece and 10 year old nephew who both enjoyed rabbit appetizer abd the entrees; wahoo with beet risotto and the flat iron steak which was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014High Cotton was a nice place for dinner. The food was pretty good but I have had better. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We always have a wonderful time at High Cotton. The atmosphere is amazing and they almost always have live music near the bar. Its very fancy and the service is always very professional. A word to the wise: this is not a place to bring children! The wine selection is also impressive. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal, great ambianceMichelleDined on 9/9/2014I thought the food was on par with other East Bay St establishments. I think it's a beautiful restaurant and the service was good as well. We went for restaurant week and were able to get the same quality service and food as we've gotten in the past when they weren't doing a promo.Special Features:
- High Cotton, Jazz, and Great food!LocalsDined on 9/9/2014We went to High Cotton for a birthday celebration. We sat in the bar area in order to listen to a jazz band, which if you sat elsewhere in the restaurant you could hear as well through speakers, so no one misses out. We had an excellent cup of Capuccino and dessert. The blueberry pie was delicious! We will be back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmospherehgchicDined on 9/9/2014The food was wonderful, the service was impeccable, we had a wonderful business dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/8/2014Small rooms provide a comfortable ambiance and adaptations of traditional menu items to southern produce and local providers is flawless and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, but didn't dazzle usintheboxDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant is beautiful and service was great. The food was good, but not great, particularly compared to their partner restaurant down the street. High Cotton was our highest restaurant bill during our Charleston visit, but did not dazzle us with the food. We expected better ... the food should have tasted more interesting.Special Features:
- Loved itDanielleyDined on 9/7/2014The service was excellent, the jazz at brunch was a great touch, and all of the good was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place!terryDined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing. I had the filet of beef is was cooked to perfection. Everyone in my group loved their dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romanticTravel2dineDined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I had a romantic table next to the window in the smaller room off to the side. We loved each bite! Wonderful and a must stop in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatDined on 9/5/2014Very good food. Had the shrimp n grits and got 12 large shrimps. Very generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKurtDined on 9/5/2014Great selection and a great way to experience places we've heard and read about but not yet visited since our relocation from Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, so-so servicelocaldinerDined on 9/4/2014We have eaten at High Cotton before and found the service to be exceptional. This time, not so much. We had to ask for bread, and what we received were the dried out ends of French loaves (or French rolls cut in half - either one, the bread was stale). Our food was brought out at different times so that some of our party received their entrées well after the rest of us. It took about 20 minutes to get our desserts, and this was after 10 pm - the restaurant was almost empty. Our server was polite and friendly, but not very attentive. The food was excellent, which was helpful because we had highly recommended the restaurant to our hostess for the eveningSpecial Features:
- Best Birthday dinnerLo52092Dined on 9/2/2014I took my boyfriend here for a birthday surprise, we were greeted with complimentary champagne and lobster salad. The service and food was off the charts amazing it made our night so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in CharlestonKMcNallyDined on 8/31/2014I love all of the Maverick Southern Kitchens, but our trip to High Cotton this weekend stands out as one of the best. We had an amazing brunch on Saturday and promptly returned for dinner the next evening. We can not say enough about the staff, the food, the atmosphere -- the whole experience. High Cotton is one of the best restaurants in Charleston; certainly the best fried oysters in town.Special Features:
- DMattVIPDined on 8/30/2014A great meal, from salad to desserts (peach cobbler to die for!). Beyond the good food, the bar area, with its jazz trio playing, is a very adult, very enjoyable way to spend the after dinner evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of CharlestonCharlestonianDined on 8/30/2014High Cotton is now our new favorite in Charleston. The food, atmosphere, and service was wonderful the entire evening. From the time we entered this beautifully decorated restaurant, they made you feel welcomed. Elise our server, who is a native Charlestonian, was wonderful! I had the lamb, my son the sword fish, and my husband the oysters. Everything was so delicious. Thanks so much for a lovely evening. My son, whos 40th Birthday we were celebrating, told me that it was the best meal he had had in 10 Years!!!Special Features: