High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 724-3815
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
363 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (223)fit for foodies (208)romantic (153)notable wine list (114)good for groups (99)great for brunch (83)neighborhood gem (75)vibrant bar scene (65)hot spot (45)late-night find (23)scenic view (21)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great foodKathrynDined on 11/21/2014Food was great, waiter seemed unenthusiastic to be there, and at 30 years old at 8pm, we were the youngest people in the room until about 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendsLouieDined on 11/21/2014Had a wonderful dinner here again with friends from Pa. They loved it. Thanks to the Chef on the night of the 21st for the wonderful sampler shrimp. They were amazing. Jill you are always nice and Eric did a great service for us. we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Sittin in High CottonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2014Amazing from start to finish. The appetizers we delicious and huge. I had fried oysters that melted in your mouth. My friends had Antelope Carpaccio (you have to try it) and salmon deviled eggs. We shared a wonderful bottle of Malbec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScotpatDined on 11/16/2014Attentive but not excessive service. Good menu with food cooked and presented very well. My chicken tasted great and the overall experience was very good. I would recommend it and certainly go there again.Special Features:
- RachelVIPDined on 11/16/2014There was live music playing while we ate. Was nice we weren't in that room because it would have been loud and hard to talk. Food was really good. Liked their southern ice tea/mint cocktail as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs attentionunhappyDined on 11/16/2014This was our second visit to High Cotton. The first one, several years ago, was a delight. This time, however, we were disappointed. The red wine was so warm we asked to have it put into the cooler which seemed to totally confuse our waiter. He put it in for the shortest amount of time, then brought it back to the table still warm. His attitude was then one of annoyance the rest of the night. Food was disappointing also. We are hoping this was just a bad night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!LastMateVIPDined on 11/16/2014First time at this restaurant and it was wonderful! We both had the extraordinary french toast, and enjoyed it immensely. Service was polite, thoughtful and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieadgeDined on 11/16/2014The Happy Hour is a great deal. Great selection of appetizers and creative cocktails for extremely reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Entrees Can't O'come the Other Good QualitiesCharlestonlocalVIPDined on 11/15/2014Welcoming hostesses, comfortable bar with a great jazz combo, extraordinary servers in a lovely dining room - but both our entrees were well below typical Charleston standards. My wife's mushroom bisque was excellent, but it was all downhill from there. I ordered the speck salad with apples, goat cheese and pecans over arugula, substituting mixed greens for arugula. While the salad was good, it had no speck. My wife's filet was dry and rather tasteless with no particularly redeeming qualities. I ordered the elk osso bucco, and it just didn't taste good at all - edible but not good. I have had elk numerous times before, and it is one of my favorite game dishes - but I had never tried the elk shank. Perhaps I just don't like that cut of the elk, but I really doubt that. I think it was undercooked, and perhaps even a bit old or previously frozen poorly. Our server was excellent, and I'm sure he would have replaced all of the inferior dishes without question, but we don't like having to do that. A restaurant of this purported caliber shouldn't fail with 3 out of 4 dishes. One final comment: Our server couldn't have been more professional or welcoming. The front of the house has its act together, perhaps the kitchen could take a lesson.
- foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014THE ENVIRONMENT WAS GREAT, SERVICE WAS EXCEPTIONAL, BUT FOOD WAS NOT GREAT. MY PRIME RIB WAS VERY SALTY AND CONTAINED A GOOD BIF FAT. DISAPPOINTING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2014High Cotton has one of the best espresso martinis around. But the food was just "ok."Special Features:
- RofrenDined on 11/9/2014A very pleasant experience... wait staff was attentive and very friendly...checked on my party just enough...food was very good and portions were more than adequate..we lingered a bit after the plates were cleared and this was not a problem as the dining room had largely cleared out...the staff went about resetting the tables and never seemed to mind us sitting longer.Prices were reasonable and I wil continue to patronize as I have on several occasions.Special Features:
- Disappointing Eggs BenedictHHTravelerDined on 11/9/2014For Sunday brunch they ran out of English muffins for the Eggs Benedict. The result on toast was very disappointing. The grilled salmon on the other hand was superb so our experience was great atmosphere, superior service but the food experience was mixed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly DisappointedAwt123VIPDined on 11/9/2014I was looking so forward to Sunday brunch at High Cotton. My mistake. The only enjoyable part of the meal was the warm cornbread they serve everyone. We had the doughnut holes to start. They were bland, over cooked, and the glaze wasn't over them, but at the bottom of the bowl & difficult to get onto the food. I ordered the french toast which looked wonderful when it arrived, but only the edges were cooked. The inside was a gooey mess. My mother had the eggs benedict, which didn't even look good. Upon arrival, the eggs were running all over the plate & the English muffin was clearly burnt to a crisp. So much so that she couldn't even cut into it. And the service, we never complained, yet the waiter was horribly unfriendly.
- delishDined on 11/8/2014Very enjoyable evening...food was delicious, presented beautifully. Service was very good as well...the ceilings are high, so the noise level can be more than what you'd want for a romantic evening, but it's a great place to experience a night out in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been patrons of High Cotton since 2005 and are terribly disappointed in the demise of this restaurant. The quality of service and food has hit rock bottom and it seems like they have sold out to tourists. Our latest meal (brunch) was underdone, over seasoned and just plain awful. The service was nonexistent (in a half empty dining room). I was unimpressed from the hostess seating us to the overpriced "fast food" we received for our meal. It is apparent that they are desperate to fill seats with their "happy hour" gimmicks and specials. Don't waste your time or money. It is time for this tired restaurant to choose a new direction.Special Features:
- Not what I was expectingTestarossaesqVIPDined on 11/7/2014Went to dinner with friends, the waitress recommended the picnic plate and the shrimp and grits, which she characterized as the signature dish. The picnic plate was great. The shrimp and grits, not so much. The shrimp was good, but bland. The andouille sausage was out of place and There was a pale, almost tasteless broth, surrounding the grits, the purpose of which escaped me. thinking back two days later I still don't get it. It made the grits taste water-logged. Another companion ordered it as well and was equally as disappointed. And another companion ordered her steak medium rare and it was so rare that she could barely eat it. Wine was good. With all the options in Charleston I see no reason to ever go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/6/2014We loved High Cotton. Would definitely return. This restaurant was recommended by a friend and now we "pay it forward." A must if you go to Chatleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2014We had a reservation and were seated promptly at a table in the corner that was too small for the glasses and plates of a dinner. The main entrees were good but the sides were not. The fried okra was whole and the breading fell apart when trying to cut the stringy vegetable. The faro medley had small bits of what tasted like sand in it and after several bites of that it was too unpleasant to try anymore. We ate at 3 restaurants during our visit to Charleston and this was by far our least favorite.
- Very averageVulkn8rVIPDined on 11/5/2014Overall a very average experience. The soufflés were undercooked and had egg white liquid in it, the cooked part tasted like egg white omelets, appetizers and mains were average. Nothing special here.
- Amazing Service!MimiofChasDined on 11/3/2014My friends and I had a wonderful experience! It was my friends 21st birthday and everything we tried was wonderful. Our server was very knowledgable about everything on the menu and made some wonderful recommendations. The Caprese salad had some of the freshest buffallo mozzarella I have ever tasted, and the Stray Cat Strut cocktail was fantastic! They brought out a piece of sweet potato pie for my friends birthday and it was wonderful as well. The only negative thing I have to say is that some of the dished were a bit over salted, especially my scallops entree that was on of the specials. Overall a great experience I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great as usualKaykayDined on 11/3/2014We always return to High Cotton knowing that the food will be great. We choose the bar room for the music on this visit and we were very pleased not only with the music but the friendly waitress, both making our food even betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was very good, wait staff friendly.UnhappyVIPDined on 11/3/2014There are so many restaurants in town, but this is a very good one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Our dinner was wonderful ( duck, pork chops, lamb. Dessert of apple crisp was awful. Don't order that. It was uncooked, apples discolored.Special Features:
- High Cotton doesn't disappointNeed2ExperienceDined on 11/2/2014My father and his fiance were visiting Charleston for the first time this past week and we were interested in trying as many fine restaurants as possible, especially ones with ambiance, panache, excellent food and a memorable experience. High Cotton didn't disappoint! Our meal was outstanding and while the noise level was a bit loud, it was tolerable. High Cotton offers that "old world" charm but with an updated menu with excellent items such as the elk osso bucco. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe an off nightJwfitzDined on 11/1/2014First time at High Cotton, Seafood cocktail a bit bland though fresh.Swordfish might not have been as fresh as expected but the trimmings excellent Praline soufflé excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Recomendation - No TricksMarkDined on 10/31/2014We reserved a table for dinner on Halloween night based upon a recommendation from a friend. The food and service were great. The blue cheese stuffed olives made the martini. Thanks for a great evening. All treats, no tricks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A low country classicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014I live in Charleston and there are so many new restaurants that it is nice to know you can always bring your visitors to High Cotton for a consistently great experience. Does not disappoint. Great food, wonderful atmosphere and a very attentive staff.Special Features:
- High praise from a semi-regularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014High Cotton has always been on our short list of the places we take out-of-towners on their visit to us here in Charleston as much as a place that I will occasion for a drop in drink in the bar area or for an anniversary dinner. It is a place for all occasions. My wife and I have never left disappointed. On this occasion we had a tough crowd (party of 6) with us whom expect excellence. Everyone left impressed and happy. Special kudos to Dan, or server, who was impeccable. If you go, you'll leave happy. Just leave some room for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sittin' in High CottenLightkeeperVIPDined on 10/28/2014No visit to Charleston is complete - or even worthwhile - without dinner at High Cotton. We always reserve a table in the bar so we can hear the jazz. The drinks, food, and service are always great.Special Features:
- Great NY Strip, Great ServiceDallasDinerDined on 10/26/2014NY Strip was so good. Hot bread was awesome. Loved the attentive service and the look of the restaurant. However, the Mackeral was not good at all (which the server recommended). Very disappointed in this dish which was my entree, and I've had much better Caesar salads at many other restaurants. Those items put a damper on the overall experience, but the rest was good. I may return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!ChuckDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant had a very comfortable feeling for dinner. The service was great and the food truly outstanding. I had shrimp and grits, and the whole meal was just perfect. Would go again in a heartbeat, and would recommend it to anyone who wanted really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday with FamilyAshevilledinerDined on 10/26/2014Have been to this restaurant before, had an excellent meal, and excellent service. This time we had a very inexperienced waiter who had too many tables to attend. He was not knowledgable of the bar availability of certain beverages and had to go back and forth to the bar to ask multiple questions, would have been easier for me to go to the bar and ask personally. The food was very average this time, not piping hot coming to the table. Disappointing this time. Will not be putting it at the top of my list next visit to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasedMatuDined on 10/26/2014All three meals we ordered were excellent & reasonably priced. Son is a chef so I have a good understanding of good food & dining environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJSJBDined on 10/25/2014A beautiful might in Charleston led us to a lovely dinner at High Cotton...our table was not immediately available, so we stopped in at the Gin Joint and had a colonel angus-delightful and kitschy! Once we were back to the restaurant, the service was crisp and inituitive, the bread and buttter were melt in your mouth delicious and were only eclipsed by the decadent duck and the meaningful filet oscar (8oz) with bountiful brussel sprouts....I will remember this dinner for a while..with hopes it will lead me back to Charelston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!!LizzieDined on 10/25/2014Trout spread on toast points and steak were excellent. I was determined to learn the joys of grits and the spicing write-up for shrimp and grits was a final good chance to finally enjoy grits, but alas, I simply don't like grits. No fault of theirs. But the shrimp was tasteless, and I love all shrimp. I made a meal of their excellent bread. The huge disappointment came in the seating. We made reservations 2 mos. ahead and were wedged into a tiny table elbow to elbow with 2 other tables. Asked for better seating and were told no. We couldn't hear or hold private talk, our table was jammed with stuff, even the excellent waiter commented. The price deserves decent seating. Mgr. offered free meal for later but we won't be back. That's too late.
- A Nice Choice in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/25/2014Visited this lovely Charleston restaurant with friends in October. The room in which we were seated was very nice, featuring only a few tables and a fireplace, so it was quieter than the other part of the restaurant, evocative of someone's home. Our server was extremely helpful and attentive. The seafood cocktail was one of the best I've ever had; others were very positive about their tomato and mozzarella salads. Unfortunately the entrees were not perceived as positively - the Cornish hen was good, but not particularly special; the pasta special and pork chop were also okay, but did not elicit rave reviews. Overall, a very pleasant experience, so it's a good choice for dinner in Charleston, but entrees need to be upgraded.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceHerbDined on 10/24/2014This was the third time that we've dined at High Cotton. The menu is always interesting with new combinations of cuisine. This time we both opted for fish. I had an excellent grilled mackerel filet; my wife had a delicious baked grouper. For dessert we had one of their wonderful souffles. The service was excellent. We always enjoy our meals there.Special Features:
- Love to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We were a group of 5 people and everyone was happy with their food and service. Two people had the grouper, two had Mahi Mahi and one had the chicken entree. All the entrees were presented well and all in the group were happy with their choice. We enjoyed a Pinot Noir with the entrees. The dining room is lovely ; Service was very good - more than adequate, but not intrusiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerJordanDined on 10/21/2014My wife and I dined at High Cotton for our anniversary dinner on Tuesday and were not let down. We both started with a glass of wine and our own salads, which were both delicious. We then ordered the duck breast and rack of lamb, both perfectly cooked and seasoned. We would definitely recommend High Cotton to anyone looking for a special occasion dining location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.