High Cotton - Charleston
199 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
High Cotton - Charleston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highcottoncharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437243815x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly from 5:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm
Bar: Opens daily at 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Shawn Kelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful blend of form and function, our three private dining rooms offer flexibility in size and style to complement our flavorful food, fine drink and warm hospitality to create memorable moments. Whether a wedding, social or business event, you'll find a room perfectly suited for celebrating.
- Private Party Contact: Jill Maynard 8776241064
- Entertainment: Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Visit www.highcottoncharleston.com for full music schedule.
- Special Events: For the 10th year, High Cotton will partner with Communities in Schools for a special three-course lunch in honor of Administrative Professionals Day, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Communities in Schools will receive 100% of the proceeds from the lunch.
Guests will enjoy a celebration of tastiness with a three-course menu for the event. The lunch is $25 per person (gratuity not included). The full menu is available online. Lunch reservations are available from 11:30am to 2:30pm. Reservations are required and can be made online or by calling 843.724.3815.
Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area, Inc. is a nationally accredited 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dropout prevention agency that surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, CIS currently serves more than 13,000 students and their families in 30 schools in Berkeley and Charleston Counties.
- Cross Street: Cumberland
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from High Cotton - Charleston
High Cotton - Charleston is high steppin’ Lowcountry living. It’s a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You’ll find it in our gracious, knowledgeable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable wine and cocktail program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.Continued
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Enjoy live jazz nightly and during Sunday brunch. Private dining rooms available for wedding, business and social events.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
High Cotton - Charleston - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
High Cotton - Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
354 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (217)fit for foodies (200)romantic (149)notable wine list (101)great for brunch (92)good for groups (82)neighborhood gem (70)vibrant bar scene (59)hot spot (44)scenic view (21)late-night find (20)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- High praise from a semi-regularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014High Cotton has always been on our short list of the places we take out-of-towners on their visit to us here in Charleston as much as a place that I will occasion for a drop in drink in the bar area or for an anniversary dinner. It is a place for all occasions. My wife and I have never left disappointed. On this occasion we had a tough crowd (party of 6) with us whom expect excellence. Everyone left impressed and happy. Special kudos to Dan, or server, who was impeccable. If you go, you'll leave happy. Just leave some room for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sittin' in High CottenLightkeeperVIPDined on 10/28/2014No visit to Charleston is complete - or even worthwhile - without dinner at High Cotton. We always reserve a table in the bar so we can hear the jazz. The drinks, food, and service are always great.Special Features:
- Birthday with FamilyAshevilledinerDined on 10/26/2014Have been to this restaurant before, had an excellent meal, and excellent service. This time we had a very inexperienced waiter who had too many tables to attend. He was not knowledgable of the bar availability of certain beverages and had to go back and forth to the bar to ask multiple questions, would have been easier for me to go to the bar and ask personally. The food was very average this time, not piping hot coming to the table. Disappointing this time. Will not be putting it at the top of my list next visit to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasedMatuDined on 10/26/2014All three meals we ordered were excellent & reasonably priced. Son is a chef so I have a good understanding of good food & dining environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJSJBDined on 10/25/2014A beautiful might in Charleston led us to a lovely dinner at High Cotton...our table was not immediately available, so we stopped in at the Gin Joint and had a colonel angus-delightful and kitschy! Once we were back to the restaurant, the service was crisp and inituitive, the bread and buttter were melt in your mouth delicious and were only eclipsed by the decadent duck and the meaningful filet oscar (8oz) with bountiful brussel sprouts....I will remember this dinner for a while..with hopes it will lead me back to Charelston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!!LizzieDined on 10/25/2014Trout spread on toast points and steak were excellent. I was determined to learn the joys of grits and the spicing write-up for shrimp and grits was a final good chance to finally enjoy grits, but alas, I simply don't like grits. No fault of theirs. But the shrimp was tasteless, and I love all shrimp. I made a meal of their excellent bread. The huge disappointment came in the seating. We made reservations 2 mos. ahead and were wedged into a tiny table elbow to elbow with 2 other tables. Asked for better seating and were told no. We couldn't hear or hold private talk, our table was jammed with stuff, even the excellent waiter commented. The price deserves decent seating. Mgr. offered free meal for later but we won't be back. That's too late.
- A Nice Choice in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/25/2014Visited this lovely Charleston restaurant with friends in October. The room in which we were seated was very nice, featuring only a few tables and a fireplace, so it was quieter than the other part of the restaurant, evocative of someone's home. Our server was extremely helpful and attentive. The seafood cocktail was one of the best I've ever had; others were very positive about their tomato and mozzarella salads. Unfortunately the entrees were not perceived as positively - the Cornish hen was good, but not particularly special; the pasta special and pork chop were also okay, but did not elicit rave reviews. Overall, a very pleasant experience, so it's a good choice for dinner in Charleston, but entrees need to be upgraded.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceHerbDined on 10/24/2014This was the third time that we've dined at High Cotton. The menu is always interesting with new combinations of cuisine. This time we both opted for fish. I had an excellent grilled mackerel filet; my wife had a delicious baked grouper. For dessert we had one of their wonderful souffles. The service was excellent. We always enjoy our meals there.Special Features:
- Love to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We were a group of 5 people and everyone was happy with their food and service. Two people had the grouper, two had Mahi Mahi and one had the chicken entree. All the entrees were presented well and all in the group were happy with their choice. We enjoyed a Pinot Noir with the entrees. The dining room is lovely ; Service was very good - more than adequate, but not intrusiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerJordanDined on 10/21/2014My wife and I dined at High Cotton for our anniversary dinner on Tuesday and were not let down. We both started with a glass of wine and our own salads, which were both delicious. We then ordered the duck breast and rack of lamb, both perfectly cooked and seasoned. We would definitely recommend High Cotton to anyone looking for a special occasion dining location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hihg CottonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Architecturally done well. Interior different surfaces (brick & sheet rock painted walls). Food menus limited and good (not great)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!HmcowgirlDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I went there for our second anniversary and found out that we were surrounded by other couples who were also celebrating their anniversaries. The waitress offered us champagne on the house, which we skipped, but still appreciated the offer. The tomato caprese salad was superb and my husband's filet was cooked perfectly. We've been to Charleston many times and often stayed nearby. I don't know why we waited so long to try this place, but will certainly go back!Special Features:
- quintessential southern experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014High Cotton was recommended to us. We decided to have brunch there on a beautiful Sunday in October. Of all the restaurants we visited during our four day stay in Charleston, this was, by far, the restaurant with the southern feel that we were looking for. From the beautiful bright room with plantation shutters to the jazz band playing in the bar area this was the quintessential southern experience for a northerner's first visit to Charleston. High Cotton was exactly as I has pictured a fine southern restaurant to be. Beyond that, our food was superb. Our server seemed to be new and slightly unsure but certainly pleasant and attentive enough. We loved this restaurant and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding-beyond our expectationOliverDined on 10/19/2014My husband was an instrumental music teacher and played professionally for many years until a serious health problem. We were anxious to enjoy the jazz brunch and we were not disappointed. We met another couple while on our trip and asked them to join us. They enjoyed our time as much as we did and not to mention the food was delicious. Service, food and ambiance were outstanding. This was a recommendation from a friend and was a highlight of our trip. Southern Hospitality at it's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Cotton Review Eve of 10-18-14PJIndyDined on 10/18/2014My friend and I chose High Cotton for a special evening as her nephew had just gotten engaged and he and his fiancé were in Charleston for a few days before heading back to Atlanta, GA. My friend had eaten there several times as she is from Orangeburg, SC and I am from Indianapolis, IN. She raved about your bone-in rib eye and your delicious banana pudding. We arrived early for our reservation as we wanted to see the Florida State and Notre Dame football game. The bar was hopping with live music (great) and people waiting for their tables. The service staff was EXCELLENT and the male bartender was pleasant, efficient, hard-working, talking to customers. The female bartender was nice, but very business -like. Part OneSpecial Features:
- Excellent all aroundmbw3Dined on 10/18/2014Came highly recommended and they didn't disappoint. Excellent, service, food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant and entainmentRegularVIPDined on 10/15/2014Good food and service and came complete with entertainmentSpecial Features:
- Fantastic brunch!JaimedinerDined on 10/12/2014Our group enjoyed a relaxing Sunday brunch with delicious Bloody Marys in mason jars, Crab cake Benedict, fried oysters florentine, and the most decadent French toast. The atmosphere in the dining room was elegant but laid back and the live jazz band provided fun entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAuntieRuthDined on 10/8/2014We dined here with a party of five work colleagues. One person enjoyed the shrimp and grits. Two had the chicken and pasta and were satisfied with their meals. However, two of us ordered the filet and were very disappointed to the point that we did not finish our meals. The meat was the toughest piece of filet I have ever had and it had an "old" (not aged) taste. I have had better meat at Outback Steakhouse for less than half the price. That being said, the potato gratin was excellent - the best thing we had! One of the co-workers ordered fries and shared - they were excellent, too. However, overall, we expected more.
- Southern CharmMarcyDined on 10/7/2014We made reservations because it was one if the dining spots featured in Sourhern Charm, the Bravo reality show. We were not disappointed in the food or atmosphere. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter Chris was amazingamoora218Dined on 10/5/2014Lamb was delicious. Pork chops amazing. Deviled eggs with smoked salmon omg. And can I have a drum roll? The sweet potato hash was the most delicious and probably the best food I've ever tasted!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Weekend5girlsoutDined on 10/5/2014Great food, atmosphere, nice entertainment and great service. This was our last night on a 4day girls trip and happy we ended it at High Cotton. It had been recommended by another group of ladies that were staying at the same hotel. Glad they made the recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Anniversary DinnerBeachgirl5835Dined on 10/4/2014I went with my family to celebrate our 29th anniversary. High Cotton is that type of restaurant - you save it for special occasions. My Steak Oscar was wonderful, as was the pumpkin bisque, and peach cobbler. The ambiance was energetic. Our server was efficient, though a bit severe. The other meals on the table were excellent and we talked about them for a day or two after!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last minute...Luv2eatDined on 10/3/2014This place was absolutely amazing for the ambiance with the 3 piece band playing. The service was out do this world and food was absolutely fabulous. Will be revisited on our yearly visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerRVAdinerDined on 10/3/2014We went to dinner here before a wedding event in Charleston. We dined with another couple and everyone enjoyed their food immensely. The service was outstanding! We were in a bit of a rush and as soon as our waiter was made aware he informed the kitchen and served us promptly. The ambiance is elegant and southern. Truly a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond impressedChrisDined on 10/3/2014How lucky am I that my first ever dining experience in Charleston commenced with High Cotton. How is any reataurant ever going to best that? I am coming back to Charleston next month specifically so I can return to High Cotton. From the freshest, warmest rolls to start your meal, to the excellent service and ambiance and on through to the lightest gran mariner soufflé ever, I left as one happy diner as did the rest of my dinner party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Our waiter was excellent! The food was outstanding! Will return to this restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jenloves2eatDined on 10/3/2014Everything about our meal at High Cotton was fabulous! From the greeters to the wait staff everone was attentive. Seth our waiter was fantastic! They have an extensive wine list. The food was simply delicious! I am so glad my husband and I ordered different items so we could share! Our table was is in the back room which had a nice view of the courtyard. It was also quiet, so we could converse. (We were at Magnolias and it was so loud we could not hear each other talk; and I left with a splitting headache from the noise). If you make your way to Charleston make sure to visit High Cotton you will not be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningFoodfanDined on 9/30/2014Everything about High Cotton was great. We would definitely go again. The service was very friendly and attentive. Our waiter answered questions and made suggestions. The menu was a combination of low country and standard favorites. I had lamb chops and my husband had scallops both were wonderful. The presentation was excellent. We loved the accompanied sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 9/28/2014Disappointed with Crab Benedict selection. Too little for too much $. The grits were not of right consistency, i.e. they were rubbery. Mimosa was teeny tiny. Asparagus on Steak and Eggs selection was too thick, woody.Special Features:
- Great BrunchEdgarDined on 9/28/2014Great brunch with wide selection of items on the menu. Service was very attentive and food presentation well down!Special Features:
- Would go againsmoochnslawDined on 9/27/2014We have tried many restaurants in the area. Everywhere we went high cotton was highly recommended and rightly so. It was a fantastic night out and we would highly recommend it to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th AnniversaryDSaladinoDined on 9/27/2014The family celebrated our parents 50th Anniversary at High Cotton. The reservations were made several months in advanced. The staff surprised us with a complimentary glass of champagne which just set the tone for the remainder of the evening. The ambience was very relaxing, the staff was fun and lively, the food… oh the food was delicious! We ordered the High Cotton Picnic Plate, which is a fabulous representation of Charleston and the Fried Oysters for appetizers. The main course meals were just the perfect size proportions. We ordered a couple of the soufflés to share among us for dessert, heavenly! Our only regret was we did not order enough of them! Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 2nd time aroundTruthDined on 9/27/2014Very nice service and environment. The deserts were excellent. The steak was a little tough, the lamb was said to be medium but it came out medium rare and it too was a little tough. The non-alcoholic champagne was good!!! I would come back and try something different!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014the food, atmosphere and service was great...we enjoyed our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNickiDined on 9/26/2014Went there with a party of 10 and only 2 people liked their meal. The shrimp and grits were not good and the grits were mushy. Someone had the steak and it was tough. The two that liked their meal had pork chop and fish. Both were good.
- Great RestaurantMENSUKDined on 9/25/2014The food was excellent, beautifully served. The noise level was way too high. It is still one of our favorites, but we hope the noise level can be fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best First ExperiencesouthernfoodieDined on 9/24/2014It was one of our first business trips to Charleston. And thank goodness we stumbled upon this gem. High Cotton is a beautiful establishment in the heart of downtown Charleston. The food is absolutely exquisite and the staff provided excellent service. I had the 12 oz. steak with delicate delicious gorgonzola stuffed gnocchi. (melts in your mouth!) We couldn't have asked for a better dinner after winding down from a long day at work. I would highly recommend this restaurant: service was excellent, food is heaven in your mouth. If they happen to have the banana pudding icecream, go for it!Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014On vacation...had searched a number of places on line...High Cotton had received excellent reviews...like what I saw on the menu. It was my wife's birthday...so wanted to make it special. Had a great table next to the window for people watching, waiter was so great....neat personality. antelope Carpaccio appetizer was to die for.......wife got swordfish, which was a 9 of 10......I had their famous shrimp and grits which was excellent...topped of by the best chocolate mousse...ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We were excited to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary at High Cotton based on a friends experience and recommendation. However, we did not have the same outstanding experience. We ordered the seafood appetizer and was disappointed with the lack of flavor. I ordered the res snapper special and it was very good. My husband ordered the risotto pasta special, but was disappointed with the dish. We ordered the key lime tart and the chocolate mousse for dessert, both very good. Our server was average, he performed the "duty" of delivering our meal, but did not make any recommendations, offer any suggestions or much else. Perhaps it was a bad night for him. Overall, a mediocre experience.Special Features: