Higgins Restaurant & Bar
1239 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SW
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Higgins Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://higginsportland.com/
- Phone: 5032229070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Higgins Restaurant & Bar
At Higgins we are fortunate to be situated in one of the world’s most fertile, productive and diverse agricultural regionsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Higgins Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (145)special occasion (114)notable wine list (82)romantic (73)neighborhood gem (67)great for lunch (27)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- a special placePatrickDined on 10/17/2014A well balanced menu with plenty of vegetarian options. Superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/15/2014Many people including me think this is the best restaurant in Portland. I came here with a friend whom Ihadn't seen in three months. Everthing sbout the evening was just right: setting quiet enough and pleasant, service perfect (there when you want it, not when you don't), food impeccable. Great place.Special Features:
- HigginsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/15/2014Wonderful place to dine downtown PDX.....but if busy, the noise level can be excessive and a difficult distraction to an otherwise great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- irthday DinnerTunaViewDined on 10/14/2014I booked dinner at Higgins to help celebrate my wife's birthday; it was our first time. The restaurants lively atmosphere is a bit louder than I prefer, but I like the energy. The menu, drink and specials choices all sounded great; we had some difficulty making our choices. Our starters and mains were beautifully prepared, presented and delicious. We didn't have room for dessert, but our server gave us a brief tutorial about dessert libations for us to try when we come back to try the desert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessKCinPDXDined on 10/14/2014Great food, great drinks, personable/warm/knowledgeable service - Higgins keeps impressing year after year.Special Features:
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Recommended by our guide as one of Portland's best; not the case unfortunately. The food was pretty average. Service was okay. We both had the sole special that wasn't so special- did not taste as fresh as the fish we had another establishment across the river. JUst an overall disappointing experience....maybe just an off night for them.Special Features:
- Cold and RawSoapyDined on 10/13/2014Ordered the vegan pasta. Pasta was undercooked, beans and veggies were hard. Broth was barely warm. They nuked it for another minute or so but still the worst pasta I have had anywhere in years.
- rselbyDined on 10/11/2014Somehow, the food is always far better and more interesting than the menu. I always have a fabulous dinner at Higgins, even when I'm not sure what to order. Consistently, it's one of Portland's best, both in terms of food and service.Special Features:
- Good reputation deservedluvgoodfoodDined on 10/11/2014First time dining at Higgins. Overall, very enjoyable experience as I was led to believe it would be by all the online reviews. My husband's steak was mouthwateringly delicious (he shared a bite). I ordered the cod with polenta, as did our two dining companions. It was good but a little bland both in taste and presentation. The polenta was white, same as the cod, almost couldn't differentiate the two. Loved the salad and bread. The wait staff was friendly, professional and unobtrusive for which I give them high marks. I would dine at Higgins again and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Special OccasionspicijulezzDined on 10/11/2014My partner and I dined at Higgins for a special occasion, and i'd been looking forward to the visit for some time. It was as wonderful as I had hoped!! The charcuterie plate that i'd so been looking forward to was fantastic, the entrees were beautifully presented, mouth watering and completely delectable. The service was attentive but unobtrusive and the descriptions given regarding the dishes were able to steer us to the best choices for our palates. Can't wait to dine with you again!Special Features:
- Grandiex3Dined on 10/11/2014We had wonderful service. We were late--we called and they were very nice and said they would seat us anytime we could get there. Our waiter was extremely nice and very helpful with the menu. Our food was delicious. What more could I saySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingCiaoBellaVIPDined on 10/6/2014This was my first time to Higgins, but a frequently visited spot by a former Portland resident. Based on her past experiences we were very excited about our dining experience, unfortunately our expectations were dashed by mediocre service and okay food. Two of us had tuna, one had the salmon, and one a soup and salad. All items were good, but not anything to rave about. The homemade ice cream was perhaps the highlight of the meal. The restaurant was extremely noisy and we could not hear each other talk.
- Portland: a high barCrocodilianDined on 10/3/2014Had a very good meal at Higgins. Good service, nicely prepared food, a fair bill for a good meal. Nothing wrong with it at all. So what's the problem? The problem is that Portland's food culture is so outstanding that Higgins "very good" is kinda like a "B" at Harvard, "nice, but there's better around the corner". So I had their lamb dinner, which was very nice, a mix of a lamb chop and a merguez lamb sausage, and it was plenty good. But the thing is-- I had had the lamb three ways plate an Vitaly Paley's "Imperial", perhaps five blocks away, a few weeks ago. And its outstanding, mouthwatering, something you dream of afterwards. I_liked_ Higgins . . . but I won't think of it later and dream about the next time.
- Wonderful experienceML2475Dined on 10/1/2014Higgins is one of my favorite restaurants! It's a must go place when I visit Portland. Food is fresh, seasonal & perfectly prepared. Service is finely tuned...just enough attention without hovering. Thanks you, Higgins, for consistent, excellent dining experience!Special Features:
- Never disappointsSteinPenDined on 10/1/2014This is a great spot for pre-show eats, the staff is helpful when they know you have limited time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolfayVIPDined on 9/27/2014My first choice for a pre-symphony dinner. Dishes are always imaginative, well prepared and presented, and service is knowledgeable but not intrusive. Higgins is a class act.Special Features:
- Wonderful service; meh foodFinnLadyDined on 9/26/2014Higgins has a wonderful atmosphere and excellent, professional service. I dined with two friends. The food was fine but not outstanding for the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatingthrulifeDined on 9/26/2014A Portland institution for business lunches or lunch with special friends.Special Features:
- Still the BestSiena83Dined on 9/26/2014Higgins never disappoints. Terrific, fresh, innovative food and excellent, knowledgable service make it one of Oregon's best restauants year in and year out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance - were well rewardedsvenman7Dined on 9/22/2014Even with Open Table help, it is hard to pick a place for that one night when you are in from (way) out of town. We took a chance on Higgins and were well rewarded. Courteous and well trained staff, good timing on the part of our server and the food delivery. Ordered a nice bottle of Pinot, being in Oregon, and were delighted. Salads were creative, bread was fresh and delicious and the entrees were well-presented, well-proportioned and tasty. We'd go back, as their bar next door looked like a fun place, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too noisy to talkRustyDined on 9/17/2014Higgins has always had very good to excellent food from its first month. Perhaps some acoustic tile on the ceiling would help the noise level.Special Features:
- A classic in PortlandTGF58VIPDined on 9/17/2014I had dinner at Higgins with a small group of work colleagues. As always, the food here was very good -- I would recommend the Magret and duck dish -- as good as you will find in Portland. The heirloom tomatoes appetizer was also quite good. The service was not as "personalized" as I've experience before but that could be due to the fact that we had a group of 10 making it harder to "break in" through the conversation. I would definitely highly recommend Higgins.Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryMarborDined on 9/16/2014I read the reviews and looked at the menu and wine list before making a reservation. The menu and wine list looked great. The reviews were mixed, but we decided to take a chance. The food, wine, and ambience all exceeded our expectations. Our waiter John was professional, knowledgeable, and fun. I can't wait to return to Portland and eat at Higgins again.Special Features:
- Amazing!hydratiaDined on 9/13/2014I think I'm in love. Our table of six had a marvelous dinner. Our waiter was generous and helpful and the food was delicious. I had the special spinach salad and the steak. Just glorious. Can't afford to do this every night, but for a special occasion (we were hosting Cycle Oregon riders post-ride) it is perfect. Thank you Higgins!Special Features:
- Lovely Evening @ HigginsCKManDined on 9/13/2014We had a fine evening @ Higgins in mid-September. Our meals were fresh and beautifully prepared. The staff was attentive & friendly. Higgins was one of the first restaurants to pioneer the farm to fork concept and they still do a ferric job of sourcing fresh local produce with locally procured fish and meats.Special Features:
- Nice and deliciousToughLoveDined on 9/13/2014One of us had the special of the day--delightfully flavor-FULL salmon creation. Definitely a 5 star event. Other had whole pig platter (or whatever it's called)--that could use more interesting flavoring and substitute some ham/bacon concoction for the pork belly. Service overall was outstanding.Special Features:
- Speciality Menu1whoknowsDined on 9/13/2014Higgins offers a variety of creative entrees and salads that are fresh and very tasty with excellent service as well. A wonderful Portland tradition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre- Theatre DinnerJohnBDined on 9/13/2014Arrived at 5:30p so plenty of time to enjoy dinner at Higgins before our 7:30 show. Greeted promptly and seated by a very gracious host. Our waiter saw to our every need and was intimately familiar with bar and menu items. Drinks, appetizer, salad and entre were delivered leisurely but well within our 90 min window. It was a perfect beginning to a spectacular evening. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Higgins Portland OregonLuvgreatfood1Dined on 9/12/2014Great restaurant. Had a nice quiet dinner with appetizers, main course, and drinks. Service was excellent, food was really really good. They have a great beer list that is second to none. Dessert was absolutely perfect. We will be back. I will say that we arrived for dinner at about 5:30 and by the time we left which was about 7:30 it was quite loud, but not to an annoying level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice interior & attentive staffanondinerDined on 9/11/2014Nice intimate setting that wasn't crammed with tables. The waiter was very friendly and attentive. Food was very tasty, but the steak I ordered was not as exciting or as flavorful as the cod my husband ordered. Overall it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic - As AlwaysSchuDined on 9/11/2014Another wonderful dining experience! The food along with it's presentation is always second to none. The service...FANTASTIC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneWinsomeDined on 9/10/2014Great service and food. Very attractive. The specials of the day added to an already good menu selections. Accommodated gluten free requests easilyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Great for gluten and dairy-free needs. Personable, non-intrusive wait staff and delicious, natural-tasting food free of cloying sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- world classradboDined on 9/7/2014From wonderful service to an interesting, well-thought-out menu, the experience could not have been better.Special Features:
- Vegetarian Friendly, Nice ambianceIVU7VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was fine, but buckwheat appetizer wasn't that interesting. Good beer and wine choices. Take care to double check your bill: we were overcharged, but took care of this before departing.Special Features:
- Overly fussy presentationsHardtopleaseDined on 8/31/2014So much going on the entree was lost. Mashed potatoes looked and tasted like instant. (Surely not?) Fish properly cooked. Service was attentive without overwhelming.
- Combines best of old and newmauikaneDined on 8/31/2014Great wood-paneled old style dining room with a staff so attentive every need is taken care of before you even know you need it. The menu and food preparation are very 21st century with the best and freshest of ingredients, imaginatively combined. Can't wait to try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service not so greatJeanDined on 8/29/2014Higgins has been my "go to" restaurant because I can always count on fabulous food and impeccable service. Food was fabulous as usual, but service was a disappointment. Our waiter disappeared about half way through the meal and others filled in (after we requested things) until he re-appeared in time to give us the bill. We waited a long time between staff showing up at our table. Unusual for this restaurant and I certainly hope it isn't a trend, as having a great meal goes hand in hand with having the meal served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtownpatronDined on 8/27/2014Love Higgins! Food was very good...not as good as last time, but well received and enjoyed. I had the shrimp salad with buttermilk bun. Didn't eat the bun, too much white starch...but, your other bread is delicious with the olive oil. The ice cream is beyond belief...especially the chocolate!!Special Features:
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014Brought a group of out of town guests. Food was good but the service was poor. It took us an hour for our order to be taken. Too long.Special Features: