Higgins Restaurant & Bar
1239 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SW
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Higgins Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://higginsportland.com/
- Phone: 5032229070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Higgins Restaurant & Bar
At Higgins we are fortunate to be situated in one of the world’s most fertile, productive and diverse agricultural regionsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Higgins Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (151)special occasion (120)notable wine list (86)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (69)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (21)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food but too noisy to talkRustyDined on 9/17/2014Higgins has always had very good to excellent food from its first month. Perhaps some acoustic tile on the ceiling would help the noise level.Special Features:
- A classic in PortlandTGF58VIPDined on 9/17/2014I had dinner at Higgins with a small group of work colleagues. As always, the food here was very good -- I would recommend the Magret and duck dish -- as good as you will find in Portland. The heirloom tomatoes appetizer was also quite good. The service was not as "personalized" as I've experience before but that could be due to the fact that we had a group of 10 making it harder to "break in" through the conversation. I would definitely highly recommend Higgins.Special Features:
- Amazing!hydratiaDined on 9/13/2014I think I'm in love. Our table of six had a marvelous dinner. Our waiter was generous and helpful and the food was delicious. I had the special spinach salad and the steak. Just glorious. Can't afford to do this every night, but for a special occasion (we were hosting Cycle Oregon riders post-ride) it is perfect. Thank you Higgins!Special Features:
- Lovely Evening @ HigginsCKManDined on 9/13/2014We had a fine evening @ Higgins in mid-September. Our meals were fresh and beautifully prepared. The staff was attentive & friendly. Higgins was one of the first restaurants to pioneer the farm to fork concept and they still do a ferric job of sourcing fresh local produce with locally procured fish and meats.Special Features:
- Nice and deliciousToughLoveDined on 9/13/2014One of us had the special of the day--delightfully flavor-FULL salmon creation. Definitely a 5 star event. Other had whole pig platter (or whatever it's called)--that could use more interesting flavoring and substitute some ham/bacon concoction for the pork belly. Service overall was outstanding.Special Features:
- Speciality Menu1whoknowsDined on 9/13/2014Higgins offers a variety of creative entrees and salads that are fresh and very tasty with excellent service as well. A wonderful Portland tradition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre- Theatre DinnerJohnBDined on 9/13/2014Arrived at 5:30p so plenty of time to enjoy dinner at Higgins before our 7:30 show. Greeted promptly and seated by a very gracious host. Our waiter saw to our every need and was intimately familiar with bar and menu items. Drinks, appetizer, salad and entre were delivered leisurely but well within our 90 min window. It was a perfect beginning to a spectacular evening. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Higgins Portland OregonLuvgreatfood1Dined on 9/12/2014Great restaurant. Had a nice quiet dinner with appetizers, main course, and drinks. Service was excellent, food was really really good. They have a great beer list that is second to none. Dessert was absolutely perfect. We will be back. I will say that we arrived for dinner at about 5:30 and by the time we left which was about 7:30 it was quite loud, but not to an annoying level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice interior & attentive staffanondinerDined on 9/11/2014Nice intimate setting that wasn't crammed with tables. The waiter was very friendly and attentive. Food was very tasty, but the steak I ordered was not as exciting or as flavorful as the cod my husband ordered. Overall it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic - As AlwaysSchuDined on 9/11/2014Another wonderful dining experience! The food along with it's presentation is always second to none. The service...FANTASTIC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneWinsomeDined on 9/10/2014Great service and food. Very attractive. The specials of the day added to an already good menu selections. Accommodated gluten free requests easilyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Great for gluten and dairy-free needs. Personable, non-intrusive wait staff and delicious, natural-tasting food free of cloying sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- world classradboDined on 9/7/2014From wonderful service to an interesting, well-thought-out menu, the experience could not have been better.Special Features:
- Vegetarian Friendly, Nice ambianceIVU7Dined on 9/6/2014Food was fine, but buckwheat appetizer wasn't that interesting. Good beer and wine choices. Take care to double check your bill: we were overcharged, but took care of this before departing.Special Features:
- Overly fussy presentationsHardtopleaseDined on 8/31/2014So much going on the entree was lost. Mashed potatoes looked and tasted like instant. (Surely not?) Fish properly cooked. Service was attentive without overwhelming.
- Combines best of old and newmauikaneDined on 8/31/2014Great wood-paneled old style dining room with a staff so attentive every need is taken care of before you even know you need it. The menu and food preparation are very 21st century with the best and freshest of ingredients, imaginatively combined. Can't wait to try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service not so greatJeanDined on 8/29/2014Higgins has been my "go to" restaurant because I can always count on fabulous food and impeccable service. Food was fabulous as usual, but service was a disappointment. Our waiter disappeared about half way through the meal and others filled in (after we requested things) until he re-appeared in time to give us the bill. We waited a long time between staff showing up at our table. Unusual for this restaurant and I certainly hope it isn't a trend, as having a great meal goes hand in hand with having the meal served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtownpatronDined on 8/27/2014Love Higgins! Food was very good...not as good as last time, but well received and enjoyed. I had the shrimp salad with buttermilk bun. Didn't eat the bun, too much white starch...but, your other bread is delicious with the olive oil. The ice cream is beyond belief...especially the chocolate!!Special Features:
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014Brought a group of out of town guests. Food was good but the service was poor. It took us an hour for our order to be taken. Too long.Special Features:
- As the sun is going down......fudgbugDined on 8/26/2014You might be seated at a table so that when the sun is going down, the sun reflects off of the building across the street and staight in to your eyes so have a pair of sunglasses handy. The service was excellent! We have had better meals in Portland.
- Very disappointingsurprisedDined on 8/26/2014I have always loved Higgins for its food and great service . . . but not this time. I had their special cod and found the presentation OK but the food was tasteless, all of it. My wife ordered one of the sandwich specials but got the other one, a salmon salad sandwich. It was served on hard, crisp bread that would not allow you to pick it up and eat because if you tried to bite into it the salmon salad would squish out of it. We tried to get the servers attention but he was too busy taking other orders and never came around to see if we were happy with the food. By the time he was aware of us it was way too late. As we left, we got no recognition from the manager and host who were both standing at the host station near the front door.
- Shocked & DisappointedCWrightVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have eaten here many times before and the food and service have always been amazing. Well that appears to have changed. I had the worst steak I have ever eaten. It was overcooked and the toughest least flavor of any steak I have ever eaten. And I paid $48 for something I only could eat half of, could have made three times the steak at home, with a decent demi glaze to boot. Even the fingerling potatoes were not cooked properly if cooked at all. After a year of living in New York, with less than great food, I expected a great deal more from my former home town.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014For the high prices you would expect this place to really have outstanding service, presentation, and taste. The service was great but the presentation was nothing exceptional and food itself was honestly not that great. The seafood was very underwhelming. I've heard you should avoid dinner and go for the burgers at lunch time.Special Features:
- Higgins restaurant and barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014We ate one night in the bar and then in the restaurant. The food was awesome both nights. When we are next in Portland we will be sure to dine there again. Our waiter in the restaurant was a true professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Great place, but we found ourselves stuck between 2 large parties that were so,loud we couldn't talk across our table.Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerImamajanDined on 8/18/2014I had a very tasty and enjoyable meal at Higgins. Food was very good, service was excellent. Unfortunately dessert was a disappointment. I had to return my first choice--a brioche peach concoction--which was inedible. It was chewy and tasteless. My second choice--a blueberry crisp-- was only satisfactory. There wasn't much crisp. Still all in all I had a nice meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysthoughtitoverVIPDined on 8/18/2014Trendy places come and go. Higgins remains my favorite restaurant in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Cheap But Worth ItCallmlVIPDined on 8/17/2014Higgins is understated elegance in almost all ways: food , service, decor. The service was impeccable, never intrusive but always available at the right time. The only downer was the diamond-drenched couple next to us who thought it permissible to go to a nice restaurant in shorts and T-shirts. But I guess that's not the fault of the restaurant....or is it?Special Features:
- slobekDined on 8/15/2014Very good overall restaurant for special occasion>like Anniversary..Dinner /We celebrate 50 years of marriage!!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelydowntownpatronDined on 8/11/2014I was wanting a quiet place that was elegant for lunch. I have eaten at Higgins before, so I knew it was good. A friend of mine joined me for lunch, and we both had MARVELOUS meals. The waiter was excellent, but not hovering over us, so he was very aware of our needs, without interrupting. I had a martini, my friend had tuna over couscous...done perfectly, and I had ling cod over cornmeal with vegetables. The bread was excellent as well as the olive oil. We both had dessert...mine was chocolate, and his was something with a crust and ice cream on the side. Very delicious. We were so impressed with the whole scene and the food!!! Excellent.Special Features:
- Excellente'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Fabulous meal of salmon and pork specials with a wonderful Malbec red. Our waiter John was delightful, efficient, and toured us through our dining experience as the professional he is. And the almond cake with mushroom ice cream... please! Higgins is fun, can be a bit loud, and the window table was perfect for our date night.Special Features:
- Pleasant in PortlandgcminVIPDined on 8/4/2014Spent a few days in Portland on vacation and went to Higgih's based upon online recommendations. While some complain about portion size we don't understand that - we shared a delicious bowl of mussels (great broth but not served with the proper bread for dipping) and both had local tuna. Beautifully prepared and cooked differently as we like different degrees of wellness (rare vs. medium). No room for dessert which is unusual. A bit pricey but very worthwhile.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner & drinksDrinkyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We have dined at Higgins 3-4 times in the last two years and it has been a wonderful experience each time. We brought out of town guests for dinner on a Monday night. They were duly impressed. One of our guests has serious allergies to several foods, and her needs were accommodated very well. It is somewhat pricey, but worth it for the quality of the food, drink and service. Lovely vegetarian and seafood options. Nicely crafted cocktails. What's not to love?Special Features:
- Varied menu that changes regularlyhanifenmvDined on 8/3/2014We had a very nice evening at Higgins. Our food was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. I had the Cod with polenta and romescue sauce and my wife had the bucatini. Both of us felt our choices were excellent and the portions were properly sized and the price point was fairly priced. We expecially like that the chef changes the menu regularly and keeps things interesting. We will be back!Special Features:
- go to the barsandLDined on 8/2/2014Dining room is casual elegance but often busy. So go to the bar say if it is Saturday around 8p. Have a drink and ask if you can stay there cause you like the atmosphere. They'll put on a white table cloth and you will have all the food experience from the dining room and great service without a wait. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingZabearDined on 8/2/2014Delicious Pacific Northwest dining. The cod was delicious. Zagats rating was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some hits and some missesFoodismDined on 7/31/2014We have enjoyed the attached (but with a separate entrance) bar, so decided to try the restaurant. The atmosphere is pleasantly refined but unpretentious. The wine list is pleasing. We started with the charcuterie board, which had been a favorite in the bar. It lived up to pleasant memories. The fish stew was good but not great. It did have an abundant amount of seafood, although the salmon was overlooked to me. The real miss was the risotto dish. There isn't much to say about it that could be positive. The risotto itself was bland with a somewhat disappointing texture. The real puzzler of the dish was the almost totally raw vegetables in the risotto, including huge chunks of raw onion (literally quartered golf ball sized onions...raw).Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceDapperDined on 7/31/2014Great salad - very fresh. The whole pig dinner was very good and not as overwhelming as it sounds. Attentive service.
- Excellent and creativemaxfishesDined on 7/30/2014The food is always creative, tasty and enjoyable. The service was excellent. The detracting element is the noise! To fully appreciate the quality of the meal it would be nice to have a calmer setting. I know not being of the current generation that noise seems to be an attraction, perhaps, they have too many years of loud music. I am not certain what can be done to remedy this and it will not limit our frequency of visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastrami hugely disappointingPlainJane23Dined on 7/30/2014While the service and ambience here are fine, the food does not live up to its price or reputation. The gazpacho soup I ordered was purely cold tomato paste: no veggies visible whatsoever. The pastrami was cold, Cheese meagre, and the meat lacked any seasoning whatsoever. My husbands hamburger was just fine, but then you can get a good burger just about anywhere for $15.