Higgins Crab House - 128th Street
12801 Coastal Highway
Ocean City, MD 21842Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Higgins Crab House - 128th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://higginscrabhouse.com/
- Phone: (410) 250-2403
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bob Higgins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: up to 200 guests for the finest, freshest seafood Maryland has to off---try our all you can eat crab feast
- Private Party Contact: Bob Higgins 4434961308
A word from Higgins Crab House - 128th Street
Ocean City Md"s premier Maryland style Crab house and Seafood Restaurant. We go to the docks 7 days a week to purchase the very freshest Chesapeake Bay seafood from the man (or woman) that caught it. Bring the family and and enjoy the finest Maryland has to offer...The Higgins FamilyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Higgins Crab House - 128th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointingDiningoutDined on 8/31/2014We have eaten here several times Over the past years and we have noticed a steady decline in the service and the food quality. There are better options at a lower cost nearby.
- Worst Crabs Ever!CaseyDined on 8/30/2014Our regular crab place had a long wait so we decided to try Higgins which is close to our condo in North Ocean City. First of all the restaurant was half empty which should have been my first clue since this is Labor Day Weekend. I asked for a table outside and was told Open Table guaranteed me a table inside and outside would be a 90 minute wait even though there were many tables that seemed to be available outside! So, after all that we were seated immediately outside. We chose the "all you can eat" crab feast and were served the smallest and lightest crabs I have ever eaten. Stay away from this place!Special Features:
- DisappointedCrabbyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Ordered LARGE crabs, was charged for large crabs, but received small ones. As a regular crab eater, I know the difference in size. Waitress also spilled a frozen drink when serving us. It hit us and made a mess on the floor. We asked her twice to mop the floor so it wouldn't be sticky. No such luck!
- DisappointedPburgmamaDined on 8/15/2014Crab legs were cold, french fries were cold, server didn't bring the corn out, we had to ask for it then were told she couldn't carry it, we were disappointed, especially for the price! Don't think this will be one we go back to next year.Special Features:
- Light crabs and gummy legsGummyLeggsDined on 8/12/2014The crabs were VERY light for the price. One person in our party had the king crab legs and she commented they were overcooked. She said it was like eating rubber.Special Features:
- Gone downhillOCregularDined on 8/7/2014We used to love going to Higgins on our O.C. vacations. However, our last 2 visits have been poor regarding the food. We had a group of 10 with mixed ages. Not one of our party was satisfied with their meal. Hardshell crabs were overcooked, fried clams were greasy and baked potatoes were hard. Very sad because it used to be one of the best places for seafood in. O.C.. We will be finding another restaurant for our next trip there.
- not pleased for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014crab cake platter was very disappointing. It was very small and had little crab flavor. Seemed more like the size of an appetizer. We expected more from a seafood restaurant. The alaskan crab legs were fine but given we're in crab country you would've thought that Old Bay or some form of seafood spice would've been on the table. Wedge salad had no accompaniments. Should've had bacon, pecans or something along with the blue cheese dressing. Brocolli was overcooked/steamed. I wouldn't visit this restaurant again, and i'm glad i had $20 Open Table check to off set the cost or my review would be even more critical. Next time we're going to Applebees! At least the food there is predictable and you're not overpaying for meager food.
- The following 66 reviews are from the Higgins Crab House - 128th Street reviews archive.
- Higgins Crab House 128th StCJonesDined on 7/4/2014We had reserved tables for 12 for the "all you can eat" crabs. Everything started off very nice...the corn, chicken and fries all came out hot & fresh. Reorders of the fried chicken and corn always resulted in hot, fresh food. The crabs however, with each reorder consistently got smaller and smaller. We spoke with the waitress who said that's all they had, but noticed new customers were receiving larger crabs. It definitely was not worth the money. The crabs were no large 3-3 1/2 inches. Way too small.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014All you can eat shrimp was very good...service was great, but ribs were dry.Special Features:
- Don't Go to HigginsAddyDined on 6/2/2014Classic bait and switch. Said there is a discount for arriving early. We called ahead to ensure that if we stayed past 6 PM we would still be served since we ordered All You Can Eat crabs. We paid the bill by 6 PM as told to do and then were told we could not order additional crabs. The manager came over and explained there was some confusion however he was very professional and honored our request. The crabs had to have been illegal. They were so small, there is no way they met the minimum legal size for harvesting. I ordered steamed shrimp. Pre-frozen, as they were tasteless. The bill for 3 AUCE and 1 Shrimp was over $100.00 Take a pass on this restaurant....wish we did.Special Features:
- So So...CindyDined on 5/30/2014We have eaten here many times. The service has always been excellent; however, this time we did not have hot crabs the first couple of trays of "all you can eat". The crabs were very light for the expensive pricing and more than a dozen were not cooked properly.Special Features:
- Needin' some CrabsJoseDined on 9/28/2013The wife had Rockfish and it was great, I had AUCE Crabs. Service was great and the crabs were awesome. I thought the host was giving me trouble over my Open Table Reservation but it worked out with only a 30 minute wait at the bar. I'm not sure what that was about because there were empty tables but, it was still worth the wait.Special Features:
- 2nd season help wanted badlyDisappointedcrabLvrDined on 9/21/2013The crabs were small but tasty as one would expect at a all you can eat. Shrimp was very small and mushy instead of firm like they should be. Hush puppies were too hard to eat. Corn was pretty good for being past season. Service was Poor. It was clear that the summer staff went back to school or whatever and there wasn't enough help to serve tables or bus them. Melted butter container was dropped on floor and we brought it to server's attention so noone would slip and fall. She was not interested. We dropped paper towels in aisle to help. Took forever to get our check and longer to get our credit receipt. Drinks were empty half of dinner. I still gave 15% because I felt so sorry for the server as she was trying to handle as best she could.Special Features:
- Decent crab house - not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2013The service was the only stand out about this place. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Other than that this was a typical crab house with all other dishes (fried chicken, ribs, hush puppies, etc) just mediocre
- BlahAntsmomDined on 8/28/2013The service was great but for the money the food was horrible. The crab soup had no crab, the Alaskan Crab Legs were small, the $25 stuffed shrimp dish was tasteless & the dish was small (5 small pieces of shrimp & 1 broccoli floret). Terrible, terrible.
- The place to go for CrabsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013If you want crabs when you come to Ocean City this is the place to go. They have platters of other seafood but most people come for the crabs. The tables are ouyfitted with brown paper & buckets in anticipation of crab consumption. Beer selection is somewhat limited but it is plentiful and available in pitchers. Decor is simple. Expect loud mallet hammering and lots of loud talking during peak hours. Large groups are encouraged. Crabs can be ordered by the dozen or as an "all you can eat". Everyone in my party left full and satisfied. Crowds tend to drop off after 8pm so late dining is more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family, friends and FUN!!KimSDined on 8/24/2013We had a group on 8 and the fun began with the online reservation. We walked to our table passing the line of non-online reservations. It was great ... family, friend, FOOD and fun!!! We will be back. If you do the all you can eat, try not to waste too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Md. Crab Lover!ReneeVIPDined on 8/9/2013Best crabs around! It's worth a trip from NYC every year!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great. Food wasDaveDined on 8/6/2013Service was great. Food was expensive. Everything crab was good. Everything else only ok.
- Just a crab houseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2013I would say that the atmosphere and service was much much better than the food. We enjoyed our evening realizing it was a tourist trap.Special Features:
- Over pricedVacationDadDined on 7/24/2013On Menu they state that they charge $4.50 per additional serving of all you can eat for "Alaskan crab legs". It turns out that they also mean snow crab legs as well. They were not worth the $33.00 let alone another $12. My Mom asked for hard shells and the server said they don't carry them. They then got delivered to the table next to us. Lost in translation. We would not return.Special Features:
- A tradition in Ocean CityQueenJanineDined on 7/21/2013Our family always eats at Higgins on our first night in Ocean City -- it's been our tradition for years. The all-you-can-eat crab dinner is expensive, but is worth the cost if you are hungry for crab. For those who aren't in the mood for crab, the menu has other options, but again, it's pricey. Overall, we enjoy the ambiance and service at Higgins and will continue to go there when we are in Ocean City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st TimemrshinsonDined on 7/20/2013This was our first timw but it definitely won't be the last.Special Features:
- Great for all you can eat crabs!Blueyedgirl77Dined on 7/12/2013Other than the one young guy whose voice HAD to be heard above the WHOLE restaurant (cursing and all), the place was great!! We had great food, great service and it was reasonably priced! The hush puppies and crabs were really good! Tip: don't eat the chicken and fries before your crabs come out or you won't be able to EAT the crabs. Haha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood gemcrabmanDined on 7/10/2013Loved the casual atmosphere.Our group had a great time and enjoyed the food.Was not rushed to get seated and dine.Very laidback.Special Features:
- Good food but over-pricedRobbDined on 7/6/2013We enjoyed the food and had a great time, but compared to similar restaurants it was over-priced. The atmosphere is somewhat noisy and very casual, not what you'd expect in this price range. Although it was great food, I'm not sure we'd go back since similar experiences are available at a much lower cost!Special Features:
- The crabs were small and andNotsohappyDined on 7/2/2013The crabs were small and and not much meat. We had the all you could eat special and the waitress would only bring 5 small ones at a time. We constantly had to ask for more. The service was slow.Special Features:
- good crabs, but a little smallOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2013We arrived for our 6:30pm, and were seated quickly at an nice long table inside. Wait staff was young and energetic with good menu knowledge. There is a good selection for kids and non-crab eaters. one of my kids is allergic to crabs, so he got chicken fingers and enjoyed them. My Mom got the Fried Rockfish and chips and it was really good. most of the rest of us got the #1 all you can eat crabs, comes with a fried chicken, fries, cole slaw appetizer. Price was $29 for adults and $19 for kids.. Crabs were all "Small" and many were "light". have to dig a little more for the meat, but with AYCE, skip over the light ones and just have them keep bringing more! You can upgrade to mediums for $5 more, but for us, the smalls were fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation DeliciousnessEllenDined on 6/16/2013I went with my husband and three kids for Father's Day while on vacation. Delicious crabs, excellent service and great variety of seafood combinations/sides. We sat outside and it surprisingly wasn't busy out there so it gave the kids space to play a little. We will definitely be going back again, maybe even this vacation week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Delightchef1fillisinnDined on 6/16/2013The restaurant was not busy at lunchtime on Sunday. We had reservations, but didn't need them. Crabs were plentiful and delish; Shrimp abundant and well seasoned. Love the many AYCE combinations. Check out the website first!! Great info. Highly recommend for you crab lovers!Special Features:
- When I want crabs or otherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012When I want crabs or other casual seafood dining Higgins is my spot. This time we had appetizers - King Crab Legs and Shrimp - both excellent. I would recommend it over Phillips if you are looking for casual, roll up your sleeves and eat crabs. Love it!Special Features:
- low qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Was not impressed with high price and low quality of king crab legs. Very little meat and very skinny legs. Way over priced for what you actuality received. Local non chain crab houses were much better. We wont go back
- Overall the service was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Overall the service was good, but I thought the crabs were a bit small for the price.
- Great for steamed crabs, however,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2012Great for steamed crabs, however, they are somewhat expensive. If you are humgry, it's probably better to order the all you can eat special.
- Mediocre But Very AffordableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2012This crab house might be better during the day/early dinner times, but when we arrived at 8:30pm we were served crabs that had clearly been in the pot all day. When we ordered a second round (we got All You Can Eat) at 9pm they told us the kitchen was closed so it would take a few minutes. The wait was worth it as they must have been forced to make a fresh batch for us. This time the crabs were bigger, and obviously freshly cooked. The price is incredibly affordable for AYCE crabs ($23 a person), but I'd rather pay more and get better quality & service. Overall, this place was just ok, and there are dozens of other crab shacks within a 5 mile radius.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing. ServiceOldCpleFromLuthervilleDined on 8/23/2012Food was disappointing. Service was even worse. Drinks were weak. All in all it was not worth half of what we paid.
- If you want Maryland crabs,EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 8/21/2012If you want Maryland crabs, this is the place to go!!Special Features:
- Great service! No wait. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2012Great service! No wait. Great outdoor seating. Friendly staff. Clean.Special Features:
- They were slammed tonight.RandyDined on 8/15/2012They were slammed tonight. Initially the service was slow but picked up. The crabs were great. Bar needed more help as they could not keep up with the waitresses. Crabs were awesome!
- Service was excellent. Hot3kidsintowDined on 8/10/2012Service was excellent. Hot hush puppies served on arrival. 4 children ages 3 to 10 all pleased with menu choices and portions. Mussel app fresh and delicious! One member of our party had to send back crab cakes, they were spoiled. Hard to believe but true. We would go back though...Special Features: