Hickory Lane American Bistro
2025 Fairmount Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hickory Lane American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hickorylanebistro.com/
- Phone: 2157692420x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday : 11:00 - 3:30pm
Bar Menu and Cocktails, Monday through Sunday: 3:30 - 4:30
Dinner: Monday through Sunday: 4:30 - 10:00pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:30pm
Bar Menu and Cocktails, Monday through Sunday: 3:30 - 4:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Albert Alvarado Jr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call and provide details on what type of event to determine if Hickory Lane can be a part of your engagement.
- Entertainment: Please call and provide details on what type of event to determine if Hickory Lane can be a part of your engagement.
- Special Events: Please call and provide details on what type of event to determine if Hickory Lane can be a part of your engagement.
A word from Hickory Lane American Bistro
Hickory Lane American Bistro features cuisine founded in exceptional, fresh and local ingredients prepared under expert technique by Chef Albert Alvarado Jr. Formally of Green Eggs, and his team practice classic techniques and modern food science in the creation of simple yet delicious and beautiful food. Hickory Lane offers Lunch, Dinner and Brunch in a elegantly rustic dining room with plenty of outside cafe seating. Featuring an eight seat copper bar that sets focus on simplicity. The bar showcases old world and new world selections of beers and wines while the cocktail and drink options are made from classic recipes with new twists and spirits. Hickory Lane is ideal for a quick bite, leisurely meal or exceptional fare. We are located across from the historic Eastern State Penitentiary on the corner of Fairmount and Corinthian Ave. Feel free to stop by or make a reservation, either way you will remember your first visit and that is what makes you will want to come back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hickory Lane American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Art Museum ›
Hickory Lane American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (25)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (10)great for lunch (10)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)scenic view (5)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great brunchjean1Dined on 10/19/2014Had a wonderful server named Sara. Food has been delicious every time we have been there. It is a bit over crowded. Their summer mixed drink line includes a blood orange and basil margarita that is very tasty. Overall a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Our group of 5 had dinner here before going to the Terror behind the walls. Had a reservation for 8:15 and they seated us promptly. The food was excellent --- Of course it was noisy and hard to hear each other, but to be expected. Would definitely go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous onion soupNessaVIPDined on 10/3/2014The French onion soup was really excellent. Two of us had their very good burgers and one had a pasta dish. Everything was enjoyable. It was too cold to eat outdoors, but there is a nice outdoor area for warmer days.Special Features:
- Nice SpotDisappointedVIPDined on 10/2/2014Met a colleague there for a friendly chat. We sat outside and enjoyed the Fairmount neighborhood scene. Delicious fare and cool smooth wine.Special Features:
- BrunchlivetoeatDined on 9/28/2014Four of us went to brunch after a charity run. The food was ok, but it all came out at different times which was kind of annoying. Nothing was that spectacular. My husband ordered the mexican breakfast as it was highly recommended. It was just soggy tortilla chips in a red sauce with a couple of small pieces of sausage. His was the last out, so I'm not sure why it was so soggy anyway. I also asked for toast when my food came out it took at least 20 minutes to come out. I was done my food at this time and I had also waited to eat until my husbands food came out. Our waitress was great, attentive, apologetic for how the food came out and how long the toast took.Special Features:
- Great placeJive123Dined on 9/21/2014It was fun, very good food. Kind f just classic american. Basically it was just what I wanted it to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014A small spot but very nice. The staff is excellent and the food is even better. The grits are real; not out of a package. And it's topped off with a perfect piece of thick, crispy bacon! The pork belly just melts in your mouth. The beet salad is very fresh and not overdressed. Pay attention to the specials because you'll want to order each one. They even make infused liquor for your brunch drinks. Hickory Lane is a must when you're in Philly!Special Features:
- Great brunch spot!eph09Dined on 9/20/2014This is a great place to head for brunch, partly because it's in Fairmount and thus not mobbed by crowds like the popular brunch spots in Center City. I was able to easily make a reservation that day for our party of 7, and we sat in the cute outdoor seating with nice views of the penitentiary and Fairmount Ave. Another thing I appreciated was the extensive menu that included several vegetarian and vegan options because we had a vegan in our group. They seemed to have a lot of great sweet and savory brunch dishes, some unique ones as well as some classics. My pork belly eggs Benedict was delicious. They also have an entire menu of mimosa flavors although I didn't try any of them this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, wine, people watch & serviceHappycoupleDined on 9/19/2014Outdoor seating has a view of the towering Eastern State Penitentiary, which was really amazing. Our waiter, Harrison, was awesome. Food was delicious. We had a fabulous mushroom bruschetta and a five-onion soup to start. I had the pork option which had an amazing sauce and beautiful presentation. It was perfect. My husband had a pasta dish that was great. It was a little loud outside because of the location, but we expected that and didn't mind the chance to be right in the action. Great spot to people watch. Inside looked beautiful. Next time we are in Philly again, we will stop by here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twist on brunchbcreviewerDined on 9/14/2014Nice to find an upbeat, fun vibe brunch place. I had pork belly benedict, cooked perfect w some crispness to it, giving wonderful flavour to whole dish. The other dish we ordered was their special w lox and was delicious too ! Not happy about latte, would of liked a bigger cup, but will return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotMelissaDined on 9/4/2014Great food and perfectly suited for the Fairmount neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Horrible food never tasted anything so bad not one dish edible didn't complain never come back
- Great Brunch and Dinner!KTMCVVIPDined on 8/10/2014I've been here for both brunch and dinner. For brunch, they have an awesome mimosa list! Dinner was fantastic as well. I ordered the cheese platter for appetizer, as well as the squash fondue and Steak Frites. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Dinner or BrunchfairmounterDined on 8/2/2014I've been several times for brunch and just recently for dinner. Food is excellent - good quality ingredients, well prepared, good-sized portions. It's priced fairly for the quality of the food. Really appreciate as well the variety on the menu and the different price points - there's something for everyone. A good pick if you have guests who want to try something a little upscale but not out of their comfort zone. Service is friendly but seems to come in spurts - at our recent dinner, our server disappeared for long stretches of time. It was nice not being rushed, but things did drag a bit. Not that big a deal though, and would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood brunch spot!JanMarieVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have been here twice and it is my new favorite place for brunch. Beverage menu is interesting, service is delightful and the food does not disappoint. We have had the specials both times and they were amazing. Once a chicken and waffles benedict and the other was peanut butter cup French toast. Totally decadent and delicious!Special Features:
- Great local restaurant, good pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014Food was wonderful and the service was great. The only negative was that it was very warm inside the restaurant. Since it was a stormy night, everyone was inside and even though they did lower the temperature, it was still too warm. BUT, I definitely will be back and hopefully it can be a night when the windows are all open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Weekend Brunch in FairmountTomatoDined on 6/29/2014Hickory Lane, on a corner in Fairmount, is a small restaurant with outdoor seating. It's casual décor and wonderful wait staff provide a relaxing place for brunch. The creative assortment of waffles, pancakes, eggs and lunch options look and taste terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the French Toast for Dessert!JanMarieVIPDined on 6/29/2014Met a friend here for brunch, nabbed a great table in the shade and had a wonderful meal. The server was friendly and attentive. When they did not have the wine I ordered she had recommendations and brought me tastes without me having to ask for it. We both had eggs Benedict, mine the special chicken and waffles Benedict (delicious) and my friend the classic. We shared the special "peanut butter cup stuffed" french toast for dessert and my friend summed it up best saying "I'll never be able to have plain French toast again". It was ridiculously good. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Great Celebration!FunkyMamaDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful menu! Mark is a great waiter! We all loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014We had a terrible experience. The place was so noisy you could not hold a conversation. The food was adequate. The food looked better on the menu than it appeared on the plate. I do not enjoy soggy potato slices at room temperature Some of the windows were open so there was no air conditioning. It was just not for us.
- Hickory Lane Bistronschmid15Dined on 6/26/2014The staff was very pleasant and efficient. Food was deliciously prepared, but be prepared, they are rather small plates (a man may not find it fulfilling). I really had a nice time eating outdoors with the penetnetary as oir backdrop. I would recommens it and I would most likely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 230 reviews are from the Hickory Lane American Bistro reviews archive.
- BuonaCenaVIPDined on 6/6/2014We haven't been to Hickory Lane in about a year, and the restaurant has changed in unfortunate ways. The meals we ordered were good, but the temperature requests for the fish weren't followed, and overall the meals lacked the inventiveness of a year ago. We were there on a very busy Friday night, and the hostess was clearly overworked and clearly disgruntled, acting almost as if our presence was an inconvenience and making us wait for a table that was already set for service. The seating is very close and the noise level high making conversation difficult; it was much easier to hear the conversations going on at the next table than it was to communicate with my partner. A very un-notable wine list.
- Unfortunate bad experiencedf88VIPDined on 6/6/2014We have been to Hickory Lane a handful of times and always pleased by both the food and the service. Unfortunately this night failed to meet those expectations. Despite having a large number of empty tables outside, we were told we could not be seated outside (the same tables were empty when we left after out meal). The hostess was less than helpful or gracious about the seating arrangements and when our food came out out of order (appetizers before wine!) she did not do as much as apologize. Seating aside, it was clear the staff was stretched thin and the hostess made no effort to apologize or accommodate us while we were sitting right next to the door and had all of the traffic from the kitchen and patrons interrupting our meal
- Cozy spot for a special occasion!2dinersDined on 5/31/2014So glad we took advantage of this quality setting to celebrate a special time. Loaded with atmosphere, the small tables contribute to the intimate feeling inside this neighborhood restaurant. Our service, by Sarah, was outstanding! Our entrees were done to order and served with a notable presentation. Delicious food, friendly staff and moderate prices will bring us back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!AnonymousVIPDined on 5/26/2014Had the Hickory Burger and it was one of the best I've had in Philly! We split the brunch special which was the Oreo French Toast and we all loved it at our table. It was perfect! Definitely going backSpecial Features:
- My new brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2014Our first brunch at Hickory Lane was great! The pork belly benedict was to die for. I had the biscuit and gravy benedict special. The Chef should make this a menu staple. The biscuit melted in my mouth. My Daughter is a big smoked salmon fan and she said the platter was the best she ever had. We can't wait to go back when we're in Philly.Special Features:
- True Neighborhood Gemmanger123VIPDined on 5/22/2014I can't say enough good things about Hickory Lane. The food is over the top. The bartenders make very good drinks. The wait staff are super. It is a small space, but I never feel crowded in. In a neighborhood with plenty of places to eat--some within eye shot--this is the best around.Special Features:
- Good food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We have dined at Hickory Lane several times prior and have always had a wonderful time. However, on Mother's Day, they seemed rushed and unorganized. We were eating with two toddlers and the hostess forgot to tell the server that we were seated. We waited over 10 minutes for our server, and we finally had to ask the bartender to alert our server of our presence. Because we had waited so long, we asked if the kitchen could rush an order of French fries for the children. We were told the kitchen was too busy. However, we saw many orders of fries going out to other diners. Our food was unbelievable delicious and we will go back. We think perhaps for special occasions, they should serve a limited menu and hire extra staff.Special Features:
- Great placeKyleToroDined on 5/11/2014I've been to HL 5 or 6 times now and i plan to continue. Brunch is perfect, especially when the weather is great. Dinner is quite sophisticated without being over the top. My wife, as well as our parents, love HL. It's worth it.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!JPavDined on 5/4/2014Living in Fairmount, I previously looked at the menu for Hickory Lane and wasn't excited, so I had not been - until this weekend. A friend recommended their brunch and I thought, "Why not?!" I am SO thankful - it was truly outstanding! The mimosas (I chose blood orange and "mystery"!), the Pork Belly Benedict, the Churro French Toast - OMG. The food was truly fabulous, and it's now my go-to spot for brunch. The service was also great, and even the staff in the (tiny!) open kitchen were very friendly and thanked us all as we were leaving. I can't wait to return for lunch, dinner, brunch again....Special Features:
- Lovely spot to celebrate spring!FairmountFoodieDined on 5/3/2014I went with friends from out of town, for an early Saturday dinner before a dance performance. The experience was lovely, from start to finish. Relaxed atmosphere, great food, and hospitable service. I can't wait to try it again, maybe for weekend brunch or late-night drinks and apps.Special Features:
- Don't be lateLike2DineVIPDined on 5/1/2014Showed up at 6:25 and was told that the Pri Fixe, which ends at 6:30, was not available. Received a rude reply when I asked for it. First and last time eating here.
- Meals with Friends - the bestCharlieVIPDined on 4/27/2014On this our second dining experience we arrived to a dining room lit with brilliant late spring afternoon sunshine that seemed to match the moods of the diners and staff. Cocktails here are a tasty and an educational experience, be sure to take the time to see what delicious specials are available before ordering your regular, otherwise you might miss out on a delicious and tasty alternative. Large parties were the order of the day we were here and the staff managed these with aplomb, getting all the diners served together, and making sure everyone had what they needed. Our friends enjoyed a wide array of menu choices, full dinners or lighter fare and everyone loved their choice.Special Features:
- ReviewerVIPDined on 4/27/2014great food, a very nice waitress, cold and unfriendly hostess.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprisejacintVIPDined on 4/25/2014Looking for somewhere new in the Art Museum area, we found Hickory Lane. The crab & mango wonton salad appetizer is just extraordinary while the "sandwiches" completely understate their size, tastiness and creativity. Talking to the couple at the next table for guidance on the menu, we chanced upon frequent visitors from the neighborhood who spoke highly of nearly every dish. We will return.Special Features:
- Perfect dinner off twoBaileysDined on 4/16/2014Needed a cozy place to eat and celebrate a promotion and our first night home from our wedding! We did the mushroom bruschetta... And will certainly do them again! The bouillabaisse was remarkable and well-sized, even for a guy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent brunch!krssstnDined on 4/13/2014I took my mom and dad here for brunch to celebrate my mom's birthday and everything was really wonderful. Our server was really friendly and suggested great food and drink choices when we were having trouble deciding. Our food was excellent. We sat inside and they had the big front windows open and the whole restaurant gets this really enjoyable cross breeze going through it. I will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish & delightful for girls nightgirlsnightoutDined on 4/11/2014Food and service are great at Hickory Lane, but it's so noisy and the tables are just smashed together. Those are my only complaints. Otherwise, it's a great choice. Have been there a number of times and have never had a bad meal or service.
- I would go back, but...Sarita2882Dined on 4/6/2014I went there on the same day as the Fairmount Arts Crawl so I am going to give them a pass on the fact that the overall experience was just OK. They were ill prepared for the crowds and did not communicate that issue well to customers. Food was very good, even if my burger did come with a dot of chocolate on it...I will go back but if the service is as bad as it was on this day, it will be my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhbigredlouVIPDined on 4/6/2014Brunch is average. Tables are on top of each which makes the place very loud. Waitress was polite but looked like she was directed to push us out. Not the best experience