270 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07869Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hibiscusrestaurantnj.com/
- Phone: 9733590200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Open 12:00pm - 4:00pm. We will temporarily closed for dinner on Sundays until further notice. Sorry for any inconviences this causes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American
- Executive Chef: Orville Brandon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer full service catering on & off site. Our unique catering menus offer our patrons something truly different than the usual. We enjoy customizing menus as we are the only ones that can offer this combination of cuisines at the highest quality at the most competitive prices. We deliver drop off lunches for corporate clients & Pharmaceutical Sales reps.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer banquet facilities for large & small parties, for private dining, social or corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Karlene Brandon 9733590200
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment by some of New Jersey’s best jazz performers and musicians, Rio Clemente, Bree Jackson, Tomoko Ohno, Champion Fulton & Norman Edge.Magic happen on the New Jersey Jazz Society’s baby grand piano, now in it's new home at the Hibiscus. Fridays: 7:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesdays: 6:00pm - 9:00pm & Sundays for our Jazz Brunch 12pm - 3pm.
Don't miss our other special annual events.
…New Years Eve Celebration/Annual Jazz extravaganza
…Special Valentine's Day Dinner
…Mother's Day Brunch,
…Fathers Day Dinner.
There's always something new happening at the Hibiscus ....
- Special Events: Come and enjoy our Sunday Jazz Brunch
A word from Hibiscus Restaurant
The Hibiscus is a unique find! Located in the heart of Morristown inside the Morristown Inn; a one of it’s kind, Hibiscus boasts a unique concept providing the first upscale but cozy Caribbean restaurant in New Jersey , the first in a hotel & the only place for Caribbean in town. Hibiscus prepares & presents for it's guests five star quality meals at unbelievably affordable prices. Never before have you had Traditional American & Authentic Island Cuisine (Jamaican) at it's best all in one place. Come & enjoy from Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken served with traditional rice & beans & fried plantains to our famous Rasta Pasta made with lightly seasoned Jerk chicken breast, sundried tomatoes & broccoli in a light cream sauce over penne or capellini to Steak House quality steaks, perfectly prepared & served with our gourmet mashed potatoes & vegetables al dente, Complete your evening with our to die for, Jamaican Rum flavored Bread Pudding & Cup of our renowned blue mountain peak coffeeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hibiscus Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)good for groups (9)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Random but great find.Divablue5VIPDined on 9/10/2014Don't be deceived when you arrive to the restaurant because it is located downstairs of the Morristown hotel. The food was fantastic and the service was great. The BYOB was perfectly fitting because that is one less thing you need to worry about, especially when you are looking to have a relaxing evening with a date or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, but Service Real SlowCeeBeeDined on 8/12/2014It took almost an hour before we recieved our food. This was the second time going to the resturant and our last. The food was good but the seafood was overcooked. I was so hungry, it didn't matter. Nevertheless, the ambience was very nice (ligting, live musician), but that all was lost in the fact that the service was so slow. Everyone complained. If you have an hour to blow, then check it out.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I didn't know what to expect when I walked into the small, hidden restaurant. What I found was a hidden treasure. The food was amazing, the service was great. And I always enjoy places that are BYOB. Truly authentic Jamaican cuisine. Definitely try the bread pudding, it is worth the calories. I will be coming back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGLuvcaribbeanfoodDined on 8/9/2014I was looking for a West Indian restaurant to get some good food for my birthday all I can say about this spot is OMG: the food was fantastic, every dish was delicious and seasoned with just enough spice, I will recommend this restaurant to anyone and I will be a frequent customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Carribean in Morristown NJraywallDined on 8/2/2014Don't make the initial look fool you. Located downstair in the Best Western.The food was great (oxtail and stew chicken), Atmosphere was great and the entertaiment was great !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 7/19/2014I really disappointed that Hibiscus has not done something with their service problems. The service is so bad that it takes away from the food and the entertainment. I've had this problem with them in the past but I decided to let time past and try them again. True to form, the people have changed but they still have the same issues. Maybe it's the management.
- Excellent Caribbean FoodJohnSDined on 7/17/2014Hidden gem in morristown. Excellent, high end Caribbean menu. Chilean sea bass special with mashed potatoes was very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats, Great ServiceFoodieDined on 7/17/2014Excellent Caribbean food, generous portions, terrific service. The location in the basement of the Best Western was a little daunting at first...but the space is nicely done giving a sense of intimacy and class. If you love tasty food, excellent service, and proximity to Morristown's exciting downtown offerings, Hibiscus is the place to go. Bring Your Own Wine...they don't have a liquor license.Special Features:
- Too many drummersldy1Dined on 7/15/2014We go to Hibiscus to enjoy a lovely meal-diver scallops are an exquisite appetizer. The piano music performed by Rio Clemente is excellent. When he has an occasional vocalist accompany him, that's wonderful. We don't enjoy additional musicians, as they detract and interrupt the piano. Two drummers, were two too many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemFleaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Not far from downtown Morristown, a quiet unpretentious Caribbean restaurant sits in, of all places the basement of the Best Western hotel. Delicious food, great service and reasonably priced -this place won't stay a secret long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started with "A" ended w/ "MAZING"smoothperry1Dined on 7/11/2014If you have never been to this restaurant, you absolutely HAVE TO GO. Literally EVERYTHING on the menu is delectable. NO matter your specific taste buds, you will be satisfied to the highest degree. On select nights they have live jazz playing which makes for a great atmosphere. There are simply not enough words to describe how awesome this place is!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014When we first showed up, my family was a little concerned about the restaurant hidden in the basement, but the food was outstanding and the wait staff was very helpful and personable. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Caribbean food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014wonderful to sit in with Rio Clemente and a surprised vocalistSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a Bite to EatHandyAndiDined on 6/29/2014Our brunch recently at Hibiscus was a delight. The food was across the hall for this brunch so the restaurant was spacious and beautiful as almost every table was filled. We had champagne which we brought and Karlene's able servers supplied the orange juice for our mimosas to start the day off right. The entertainment - Pam Purvis and Bob Ackerman and friends - was, as always, wonderful. The NJ Jazz Society on this day was very well represented and new members are always welcome at www.njjs.org. Check out Hibiscus - ample parking and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Hibiscus is surprisingly deceptive. I think it doubles as a Continental Breakfast venue for Best Western Plus Hotel. But the wait staff are excellent and engaging and the food was incredibly delightful. However, when booking on line, the reservation criteria should mention that it's a BYOB. The waitstaff were quick on their feet and rounded up a bottle of wine from the Hotel cache so it worked out. I plan to return the next time I'm in Morristown for a concert at the Mayo Performing Arts Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth WateringAndreDined on 6/18/2014Great service. Food is made fresh. I have taken my aunts who are retired chefs and the loved the food, the ambiance and the live music. Recently I took my friends and their children visiting from Michigan and they really liked their meals. I live about 45 minutes away otherwise I would dine there weekly. My favorite meal is the vegetarian Rasta Pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHankDined on 6/5/2014Not clear that it was essentially a BYO. Limited wine selection was terrible. Couldn't wait to finish eating and get out of there.
- Dinner with a tuneLuv2eatDined on 6/3/2014Variety of food was good. We decided on rasta pasta, oxtails, and curried chicken, all good. Piano music in the background provided by Rio Clemente was a delightful touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MillaVIPDined on 5/31/2014We received three ox tails..... Adults not children we are.Special Features:
- Great foodluvtaeatDined on 5/31/2014Great food and nice atmosphere. It's a must go. Wonderful little gem. Service is wonderful. So nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedwonderwipsDined on 5/30/2014Price of the food is way above the quality and preparation. $30 for a small piece of sea bass over a large mound of cold too salty mashed potatoes is unreasonable even for Morristown. The service was inconsistent and the waitress disrespectful during the music set. I think she was trying to be the loud comic. Overall not worth a return trip
- The following 243 reviews are from the Hibiscus Restaurant reviews archive.
- downtoearthDined on 5/20/2014service was a bit slow and the piano was too loud. Food was well prepared and delicious. Friendly service.Special Features:
- Great time!Luv2eatDined on 5/18/2014I had a wonderful time. The brunch was delicious and the staff was attentive. The location is surprising. It's in the basement but if you can get passed that you will have a good meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - bad ambience1happyeaterDined on 5/11/2014Went here for Mother's Day brunch. Food was varied and delicious. Setting was dreadful - in the basement of a hotel and it felt like a basement. Dining rooms were too small - you couldn't get in or out of the separate room where food was served. Had to wait half an hour before the buffet was ready. Very expensive for lack of pleasant environment. If I was interested only in sampling carribean food I would return otherwise not.
- good food-but service lackingalpha81Dined on 5/10/2014Heard of the restaurant from the hotel sales rep. My husband and I got to the restaurant at about 720pm, waited about 10mins for a server to get to our table. She did not seem at all knowledgeable of the menu options. When asked if we could substitute rice and beans for something else, we were told not really, or we'd have to wait 20mins-though items were listed on the menu as sides. Dinner was finally brought to the table at 850pm. The owner/manager did apologize for the wait but by then I was ready to go. After dinner, which was REALLY GOOD, I asked for coffee. The server wandered around for about 10mins..no coffee. We asked for the check, she brought it over-not asking if I no longer wanted coffee.Special Features:
- Will not return...RUSHFan0612VIPDined on 5/10/2014I came here on the Saturday night before Mother's Day to hopefully enjoy a nice dinner out with my parents. Well to get to the point, we did not enjoy ourselves at all. For some strange reason, the restaurant thinks that it's a good idea to have a live musician in a fairly small place to be playing during the prime dinner period (6PM-8PM) at an almost deafening volume level. My parents are 80 & 72 respectively, and my father (80) has a very hard time hearing to begin with. The music was so loud that we could barely converse. On top of that, I must say that the food was just average, really nothing to write home about...my father did not enjoy the oxtails and I thought my dish (Seafood Rundown) was bland. So I will not be back, sorry.
- AwesomeLadyiceDined on 5/4/2014I was looking for something new to celebrate my bday. I came across this Resturant on the internet and decided to try it out. I'm so glad I did the owner and the rest if the staff were wonderful and the food was amazing glad I went ibwill defintely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week visitbluescootDined on 5/2/2014restaurant week in morristown this week. should have surprised as needed to specifically ask for the special menu which was not offered freely. service was absolutely awful. we ordered the rest. week special (salad, entree) also added appetizer (add'l chg.) which was fine with us. never received salad (which would have been ok) until I noticed they added 18% serv chg and increased the check as the waitress undercharged us $4 which made me mad. I then complained and told mgr we didn't receive our salads. she reduced the check by $4 and didn't include gratuity. my head was spinning at this point. anyway, gave a tip to the guy who brought ALL the food and came to pour wine for us. such a bad experience I just have to shake my head.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/29/2014Excelente food! I will totally go back to this place. They need more than one waitress tho. Thann youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Caribbean foodLindaMcGDined on 4/22/2014Try the scallops, best I've ever had, as an appetizer, comes with risotto, a little sweet, yummy! Wanted the Chilean Sea bass special but they ran out so had a 14 oz. pork chop instead, delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingniteoutfor2Dined on 4/17/2014The calamari appetizer was tender and crunchy with quite a kick, very very good. The oxtail did truly fall off the bone, tender and delicious. The Jamaican chicken was also tender and full of flavor with just a bit of sauce (not like a stew) with the best rice and beans I have ever had. Don't forget to BYOB. Staff is very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- HibiscusDinerDined on 4/9/2014Should be made clear the restaurant is located in a hotel. Did not provide the atmosphere the name and description would lead one to expect.
- IN MORRISTOWNTirednessVIPDined on 4/6/2014If you are in the area of Morristown, you MUST eat at Hibiscus Restaurant. We've eaten there for lunch (great), but our very favorite is their brunch. The food is fabulous. They have enough of an assortment of foods for everyone and each one is made to perfection. For brunch, I suggest reservations. So, we have 1) great assortment of foods, 2) excellent taste, 3) what! entertainment to help make it more enjoyable! This can't be. Yes, it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find - food is outstandingFoodieAccountantDined on 4/5/2014Great find - food is outstanding and the Saturday "live" entertainment is a pleasant surprise. They also offer a very comprehensive Sunday brunch with BYOB champagne for your Mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Luv2eatDined on 4/5/2014If you're looking for some REAL west indian food, this is the place to goSpecial Features:
- food was good, music was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014food was good, music was great, but our waitress was awful!!! She took our order, dropped off our food and asked us if we wanted dessert with our bill in hand.
- Cozy and enjoyablePattyDined on 4/4/2014This was a great discovery which we only tried because we were staying at the Best Western. The restaurant is small but cozy and the food was excellent -very fresh fish, uniquely prepared. The service was most professional and attentive. There isn't much of a wine list but you are allowed to BYOB. And to top it off, the entertainment was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the Hibiscus RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014Overall the Hibiscus Restaurant was great. The Ambience was cozy. It would be ideal for any occasion. The staff overall was very friendly and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New spotIzzyDined on 3/28/2014We liked everything about hibiscus good food, clean, good service.Special Features:
- Happy DiningDiningDanzioDined on 3/26/2014The food was absolutely delicious the flavors and the spice was to die for just the right amount especially if you like spicy. I also love the BYOB idea. I love going to a place where I can also hear my conversation with whom I am with and not bombarded with loud overpowering music. The music selection was mellow and tasteful. Also the staff was friendly and timely. I will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.