2927 N. Henderson
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hibiscusdallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 827-2927
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Graham Dodds
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hibiscus
Long recognized as one of Dallas' premier upscale restaurants, Hibiscus offers a relaxed and social dining experience free of pretense and full of mirth and genuine hospitality. Under Executive Chef Graham Dodds, the contemporary American fare at Hibiscus honors premium ingredients, market freshness and rustic sensibility in a way that satisfies hearty eaters and cerebral diners alike. The beverage program features a well-chosen and reasonably-priced American wine list and an original cocktail menu. Hibiscus is located in a beautiful, historic building in the heart of the thriving North Henderson Avenue dining and entertainment district and comfortably accommodates private events of up to 70 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Hibiscus - Best Restaurants in Knox / Henderson ›
Hibiscus reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (157)special occasion (148)romantic (99)neighborhood gem (99)good for groups (88)hot spot (71)notable wine list (67)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Won't Be BackLetsEatVIPDined on 11/22/2014Decided to try Hibiscus again after Leslie Brenner's review in September (it had been over a year since we'd eaten there). It was the least satisfying meal we've ever had there - or anywhere in a long time. Server was not helpful or friendly - maybe she was new - but it kind of ruined the evening. No one came to the table to answer our wine questions. Steaks were good, but not great. Very expensive for average food. Sides were mediocre and not eaten. Mushrooms were too salty to be edible. No bread offered. For this price, we expect more. Even a placemat would be nice.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had a great experience at Hibiscus.. The food was fresh, inventive, and excellent overall. Our server, Jillian, was friendly, helpful, and efficient. Ouronlycriticism,though a small one, is that we did not care for the perhaps vintage furniture and overall decor. It was a very nice experience and we look Forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was terribleDadon22Dined on 11/14/2014The host/hostesses were awesome, foot was great, atmosphere could not have been better, but our waiter was abysmal. It took him 20 min to come to our table after we sat down, and 20 more to deliver bread and our drinks. Due to the overall vibe I got from the rest of the employees at Hibiscus, I think our experience was an anomaly. Hopefully the service is better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood staplecarmelrezDined on 11/14/2014We've been going to Hibiscus since it opened and like the ambience. However, the food isn't great any more in our opinion. Some of out dishes were good - the striped bass and little neck clams. The paella, however, was underwhelming and the chicken was utterly pedestrian. We were next to a very large table so our service was spotty at best but we gave them slack because of the large party. If the restaurant can't handle large groups, they shouldn't book them tho. I'll go back but not as often as I used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitwinersiiDined on 11/14/2014Hibiscus was a lovely dining experience. Enjoyed the locally sourced artisanal foods very much; it was a refreshing change from the standard fare marketed as "creative" in most other restaurants. Our waiter, David, was charming and his timing was spot on. We plan to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HibiscusCherylDined on 11/14/2014Our server did an excellent job. We had the Kale Salad and the beet salad. Both were outstanding. Our server also suggested a goat cheese dip/homemade fruit toast, it was fantastic. We shared a scallop and leek entree that was a perfect pairing with our filling appetizers. Dessert was a very nice light pumpkin crostata. This was our third visit and each time we have been very pleased with the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish!gigilannyDined on 11/8/2014The atmosphere is so comfortable but still very nice. It made for great dining. Our waitress was very helpful and always fast in getting what we needed. The food was delicious. The chef really knows how to season and bring out the best in everything we ordered.Special Features:
- Never going backRichardVIPDined on 11/8/2014My wife is on a low-salt diet due to Menieres disease. We asked the waiter what menu items could be made without salt. The waiter went to ask the chef, and came back with a predictable response: Beef and fish. My wife ordered fish, broiled simply. What she got was fish encrusted in salt. I had ordered Paella: what I got was lukewarm at best. Also, we ordered a bottle of wine from their list. The waiter came back to say they were out of it. When chose another wine. They were out of that too. It was getting late, so we ordered 2 glasses of the best chardonnay on their by-the-glass list. Awful. Finally, despite having arrived at 5:15 pm, it took almost an hour for the entrees to arrive. So much for catering to your customer.
- Fine DiningBadStuffDined on 11/6/2014This is an excellent choice for an interesting food experience with great service and beautiful decor. It is everything you expect haute cuisine to be - whether that's taken as good because it lives up to its standards, or bad because it does not really go above and beyond is for you to determine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2014Menu is not my taste---too smoky, southwestern. However, the service could not have been better.
- Hibiscus for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Wife and I had a great time at Hibiscus. For appetizer, we had the lamb ribs, which were fantastic. Entrees my wife had the Paella, I had the 9oz tenderloin. Paella was lacking a bit in flavor, but overall still 4 stars. My tenderloin seemed a bit dry, i am not a fan of a lot of seasoning on a steak, but even this one was lacking. For sides we had the fries and spinach, both were good. For desert we had the bread pudding, which was fantastic. The bottle of wine we ordered was not in stock, so they gave us an even nicer bottle for the same price - very nice touch. Overall, we would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great...MrIvyVIPDined on 11/1/2014I've been to Hibiscus several times over the past 5-6 years, and each time was a very good experience. This visit was no exception - they were on top of their game. Excellent cocktails, good value wines available, and outstanding food. Lamb ribs were tender and well seasoned...Special Features:
- Such a great experiencemburke127Dined on 11/1/2014My girlfriend and I went to Hibiscus for our anniversary. The staff was very warm and helpful. The decor and ambiance was great. Everything felt very well-designed yet unassuming, and I can only hope to make a playlist that good one day. The food was unforgettable. Coming from the Chicago foodie scene, we're both familiar with "New American" and the cliches that often come with it. The menu at Hibiscus is appropriately familiar but offers enough unique options and ingredients that choosing and eating our food was honestly exciting. The standout for us was the Crispy Lamb Ribs. I know how sappy this sounds, but our experience at Hibiscus made me realize how such a great meal can really bring two people together and make them more in love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryAliceDined on 11/1/2014Loved the food at Hibiscus. Excellent service but a bit on the leisurely side.Special Features:
- Kim murleyKiwi2008Dined on 10/31/2014First time to eat here and it did not disappoint. The service, drinks and food was a perfect end to a busy day of shopping in Dallas. Will go back:)Special Features:
- Back and better than everScottGDined on 10/30/2014After loving them when they first opened, with their excellent new American fare and an understated dining room, to a sense of disappointment in the interim, Hibiscus finally has their groove back. Graham Dodds' vision of locavore heaven will keep us coming back for more. We went for my wife's birthday and it was one of the best meals we have had in Dallas ever. From the finely crafted cocktail (the "Manhattanish") through dessert, the restaurant hit all the right notes. I highly recommend the pate (served in a jar like a rillette), beet salad, and Lamb Saddle for two. With an ever changing farm to table menu, it looks like they will keep things interesting and us coming back for quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for 25th AnniversaryjohnwwardDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I had a fantastic time at Hibiscus celebrating our 25th Annuversary. The waiter was friendly, the wine was well priced, the appetizer was unique and tasty, the main course was cooked perfectly and the ice cream pie was perfect but more than we could finish. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not a charmnk17Dined on 10/27/2014I ate at Hibiscus several weeks ago and it was 5 star all the way. That is why I went back. This visit the food was mediocre. I ordered the two of the dishes I had on my previous visit. This time the lamb ribs were dry and tough. The beet salad was still good, though not as spectacular. The paella was dry and lackluster. If this visit was my first trip to the restaurant, I would not return. Given that I had one great meal there, I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PerfectionwinnerwinnerchickendinnerDined on 10/25/2014This first time we had ever eaten at Hibiscus we were blown away! The bar tender was incredibly knowledgeable about the drinks that he was serving and he recommended delicious drinks that would accompany our meal. After we were seated, we enjoyed a perfect dinner. The service was incredible and we hadn't even noticed that there was a delay in the food preparation because our server was so accommodating. She took the initiative to bring out complementary appetizers to tide us over until our food arrived. We were so impressed that we decided to come back with a large group of our friends for a special 29th birthday celebration. Our friends kept going on and on about how wonderful the whole experience was and they were already making plans to meet up again next month.Special Features:
- Always good!smeltonDined on 10/25/2014Hibiscus is consistently good. I always enjoy going here for a nice date or special occasion. They have yet to disappoint.Special Features:
- DisappointingCAC25VIPDined on 10/24/2014We went with a table of 10 and were seating at a long, wide table. The music combined with the acoustics and the crowd made it impossible to talk to anyone except the person next to you. Service was slow and food was cold. Overall disappointing. Automatic 20% tip meant the wait staff didn't really have to worry whether or not our service was acceptable. Our tab was exceedingly high relative to the experience.
- GreggVIPDined on 10/24/2014It was a very pleasant evening. We sat at the back bar and enjoyed a very nice dinner. The service from the bartender was good and engaging and the food was very good, as usual. Hibiscus has always proved to be a consistent restaurant and we will. E back.Special Features:
- Not the best this timeOpentablefanVIPDined on 10/24/2014Service was very slow with little apology Host/hostess very arrogant. Too bad atmosphere and food are good but bad service for me is a "deal killer". too many other options in DallasSpecial Features:
- Same old hibiscusNorthendVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were looking forward to trying hibiscus again after a good review in the dallas AM news. The reasons we never go there proved to be u changed. Slow service- 45 minutes to get entrees with little more than a sorry. The people greeting you At the front door act like they are doing you a favor to seat you. Sorry! Way too many exemt Dallas dining choices to subject ourselves to mediocrity at a high price.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancefoodloverDined on 10/24/2014Really enjoyed our meal, the food was excellent. We also have excellent service!! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014In every way - dinner, wine, service, atmosphere! It was a perfect choice!Special Features:
- seniorVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is the first time we have eaten at Hibiscus since the chef and menu change. Some of the old favorites were missing and many entrees had unusual preparation. The portions seemed smaller. The service was excellent as usual as was the high noise level.Special Features:
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014I needed to view the event space for an upcoming holiday party and decided to combine the visit with a birthday dinner while we were there. We were not disappointed. The food was on point, and the service was exactly what you always want at an upscale restaurant of this caliber but don't always get. I would easily recommend Hibiscus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Casual urban atmosphere...from jeans and cool shirt to hip dresses-great food! ....will go back.Special Features:
- Great food and drinkstanDined on 10/10/2014We've been there twice, one year apart, and the food and drink quality and experience was as good the second time as the first. We had four people the first time, and six the second, and we all had different things, and, to a person, thought this was some of the best they've had. However, this is not an inexpensive place, so be prepared for a pricey dinner, even though it was worth it.Special Features:
- No Lunchbag Letdown HereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Start to finish, our meal was simply outstanding. The menu made you want to try something that you have never tried before. Hibiscus has never let me down. Great service, great portions, great presentation and incredible tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go thereCraver52Dined on 10/6/2014Great service, the team is extremely knowledgable and friendly. You will enjoy the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Good and classy food.but if you are also looking for quantity then this would not be the place.Great place for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014I went to Hibiscus in a group of six. The wine list and menu is fun and eclectic. However, the service was exceptionally slow and, when my paella finally arrived, the fish on top was so dry I didn't eat it. Thus, I ate a very expensive bowl of rice. The waiter charged us for the bottle of champagne we'd already paid for at the bar. We split the bill; however, one in our party was also charged the total amount of the bill. Hibiscus was more work than fun. I won't be back.
- DisappointedTdinesdallasDined on 10/4/2014We have been loyal fans of Hibiscus for years. It was our got-to restaurant for any celebration, however, I doubt we will return with all of the changes to the menu. They have taken off the menu everything that they were known for: crab dip appetizer, wedge salad, tomato mozzarella salad, mac n cheese, and most importantly the chocolate cake! We were very sad and disappointed and left our party of 9 all staring at the menu trying to figure out what to order.... the pate or oxtail...ugh!
- Great farm to table foodIrodugyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great farm to table food! If you ware looking for a foodie location in Dallas this is the place. I would highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Steady As She Goesluv2dineVIPDined on 9/26/2014Hibiscus remains one of the best dining experiences in Dallas. New Chef, New Menu, great food. Wonderful place for a special evening with your wife or significant other; or celebrate a special event. The food and new menu was outstanding. Great Wine List. Still has great steaks and sea food choices, along with new menu options. Among the best restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hibiscus cravingsfoodloverVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you want to experience great food, service, and atmosphere look no more. The food rivals some of the best around. The steak was cooked perfectly with so much flavor and the seasonal sides were so good we ordered a second round. I would eat here every night if I couldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2014Hibiscus is one of our all time favorite restaurants. We have celebrated many special occasions there. This time, although still very good, it just missed its usual perfection. I felt as if everything was just a little tired.we will certainly return, but I hope some fine tuning takes place.Special Features:
- Pricey nightjspdallasDined on 9/20/2014We shared two entrees for four people. But we had drinks, sides and dessert. Over $300. Strip was overcooked; nothing special. Paella was excellent. I would go back for that. Service was exceptional. Music was distracting and too loud for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.