5425 Russell Avenue
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chowfoods.com/hi-life
- Phone: (206) 784-7272
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 8:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Limited Lunch Menu, Daily: 3-5pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday: 3pm - Close
Daily: 3pm - 7pm
Late night menu:
Daily: 10:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Anthony Hubbard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Hi-Life has a private dining room available for adults only. We can host a combination cocktail party and sit-down dinner for up to 40 with your own private bartender.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2067847272
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: The #18 bus runs from Market Street & Leary to downtown Seattle. The stop located on Market also offers transfer service to the #17, #44, and #46 lines. The #15 bus runs down 15th with a stop at the Market Street intersection.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The surrounding streets have a combination of 1-2 hour parking and metered parking.
A word from Hi-Life
Located in Ballard's historic Firehouse No. 18 built in 1911, the Hi-Life serves up a quarterly rotating American Grill menu that features the best of the four seasons here in the Pacific Northwest. With an emphasis on seasonal ingredients and brick oven, our line turns out tasty, full-flavored foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner each and every day.Continued
We have a bountiful, Northwest wine list with over 16 different wines by the glass, as well as a spirited bar with seasonally changing cocktails and 8 local brews on tap.
We have a bountiful, Northwest wine list with over 16 different wines by the glass, as well as a spirited bar with seasonally changing cocktails and 8 local brews on tap.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Hi-Life - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Hi-Life reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (23)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (8)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)special occasion (2)Show More
- DisappointedygswashereDined on 11/8/2014We are new to Seattle and the Hi-Life restaurant was recommended to us. Our onion rings were burnt, we had the BBQ pork sliders and the rolls were stale and pork was burnt, we had two entree salads which were very good. Our server was slow and more interested in being behind the bar taking than taking care of tables. We finished our appetizers while I had an empty beer. The good news is that since service was slow we had fewer drinks and our bill was reasonable. I would say decent food for a fair price but not up to all the hype.Special Features:
- I love the Hi-Life (who doesn't?)!KathyDDined on 10/19/2014I have been coming to the Hi-Life for years, almost since it opened. When I lived on First Hill, I usually came here only for weekend breakfast or maybe the Sunday Night Fried Chicken Dinner when that was instituted. But I moved to Ballard three weeks ago and have been here three times since then. Hands-down, they consistently have the best overall service, food and prices of any other restaurant in Seattle (including others in the CF chain, which I've also loved since before its split). All hail the Hi-Life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service!chloeVIPDined on 10/17/2014We came with a large group and a baby. Our server was so accommodating and on top of things. The food and drinks were great, but the service was what really left the best impression. Thank you for a great night with friends!Special Features:
- Great Family DinnerBaker45Dined on 10/11/2014Hi-Life is my favorite restaurant - they consistently provide good service and make high quality food. The seasonal menu adds additional variety to a menu that has something for everyone. My mother came from out of town to visit us and this was our first choice for a great meal, and the Hi-Life delivered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceleonejmDined on 10/4/2014I've gone to Hi Life for all sorts of occasions from reunions, to hungover brunches, to blind dates. The service and food are always excellent! I will be a long time customer :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great company, bad food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We came on Saturday night for my birthday, there were 5 of us, and not one of us were very impressed with our food---and we ARENT very picky at all! The hamburger was very dry, the Mac and cheese was very weird (light and kind of watery--but then spicy?) for the prices we just weren't at all impressed with the food itself. But the drinks were great and the ambiance was excellent!
- Hope it's an outlier.VinceDined on 8/26/2014Usually love going to Hi-Life, but was particularly disappointed this time around. We had a reservation for 10 for a Tuesday birthday party, and the restaurant was over 30 minutes getting us to a table. These things happen on busy nights in the summer so no one was upset waiting, but we never actually got to our table in the restaurant. We were crammed in a booth in the bar and had to piece together a larger table as guests left and they became available around us. Only reason for leaving a negative review comes from rude wait staff and what happened while waiting for our (any) table. Two of our guests went to the bar to order a drink and the bartender said "Can't you hold off for a few minutes until your table is ready?". Unreal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken!RTHAMAKVIPDined on 8/24/2014Started with the A & A salad, then on to the Sunday only special. Portions are gigantic, chicken hot, moist, good crunch! I'm ready to go back next Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only go on Sunday nightjessibDined on 8/17/2014I have been to this restaurant 3 times, but I have always ordered the same thing. On Sundays, they do a fried chicken dinner family style with mashed potatoes, carrots, gravy, biscuits, and a heaping pile of fried chicken breasts, drumsticks, and wings. It is not all-you-eat, but the single portion they provide has always been so plentiful that we leave with doggie bags. Go early though if you want the chicken. Last weekend they ran out by about 6:30 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversWillBVIPDined on 8/7/2014We always enjoy our experience when dining here. Service is attentive. Food is really good with lots of seasonally changing options. There is a little something for everybody. They are very accommodating with children and large groups. My family always love the inventive cocktail selections from the bar. Don't miss the early bird happy hour M-F, great food and drink specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveRedCoopDined on 8/2/2014We were in Seattle for the day and our daughter recommended "Hi-Life" after her recent visit to the area. Traffic got ahead of us so we were running a little late and the staff was very accommodating regarding this which eased the pressure. I had a chance to preview the menu beforehand and was pleased with my selection ( BBQ pulled pork sandwich ) and the food ordered my my fellow travelers also met with great reviews ( the Tutto Calabria lamb burger and the Quinoa and Black Bean burger ). I also ordered the iced tea and was pleasantly surprised at just how tasty this beverage can be... very refreshing . The side of fries are very delicious too. And the wait staff was very friendly and efficient which definable is always a plus in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 183 reviews are from the Hi-Life reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014Great service, we were there to celebrate a birthday and the server was excellent and very personable!Special Features:
- Our go to place with the kidsIGGhoshDined on 7/21/2014The Hi-Life is everything a great neighborhood restaurant should be - moderately priced, outstanding cocktails, beers and wines by the glass, solid consistently good food and an awesome kids menu that has variety. This is my go-to place with the kids - dinner at the Hi- Life folowed by a movie at the Majestic Bay. Parking is a pain, but then that's the story for the whole of Ballard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FriendlyjdreganDined on 7/18/2014We took our grandson and both our adult children and their partners out for their first dinner after baby. The staff were so helpful bringing us an ingenious device to cradle the baby up to the table. Food and drinks were wonderful. We had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably great food & serviceSeattleaterDined on 6/27/2014I live in Ballard and love to take friends and family to the Hi-Life. Their food is great for any meal (breakfast and brunch are particularly fun and yummy) and they have always been so accommodating regardless of our group size and make-up (children & babies don't throw them a bit). They are extremely family-friendly, but also great for adults and couples. Fun atmosphere and a great bar as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed breakfast and lunch here on two different days. Ability to make a reservation and meet a colleague and count on getting a table in a timely way was a huge bonus. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014This place definitely caters to families with kids, but it has a really good menu for a "family"restaurant. Great place to come before going to a movie across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for kidsjtdsonDined on 5/21/2014We go to Hi-Life, not for the food, which is dependable, but not outstanding. We go because it is a great place for a family get together. They are terrific with kids and work well with both allergies and gluten free foods. Not everyone is so nice. It is hard to argue with a place where you can get eggs for dinner.Special Features:
- Always over-delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Easy to forget how good the food is because everything else is awesome!Special Features:
- Good Foodscrb31Dined on 5/10/2014Good Food, Good for groups, enjoyed our visit. Will try it again on a Sunday for Fried Chicken...it has recieved great reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off in the bar forspecialdinerDined on 4/4/2014Started off in the bar for happy hour - it was great; the pizza was was awesome. Then moved to the dining room for dinner - salmon was delicious and the service was super attentive and triendlySpecial Features:
- Great bloody marys. What'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/4/2014Great bloody marys. What's nice is this place is very kid-friendly but if you are all 21+ the bar is a nice "getaway." Something for everyone. A consistent winner and the fact that they take reservations is HUGE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The great place in the NabeIGGhoshDined on 3/22/2014The Hi-Life does what it says it will do, with good food, great cocktails, exceptional service and a great kid's menu. We began our family dinner-and-a movie night here and my eight and six year old were delighted to have so many choices. I ordered the Tutto Calabria Lamb Burger, and my spouse got the Shaved Asparagus Salad. Both were fantastic - the lamb burger was cooked to a perfect medium rare as requested. My wife also ordered a bowl of French Onion soup and she felt that there was too much vinegar in it - and they took it off our check! The kids had a kid burger (son) amd Mac and Cheese (daughter). We ended up "sampling" the Mac and Cheese. The cocktails were perfect. Our server was friendly, well informed and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2014The Hi-Life is our "go-to" spot when we are looking for a pleasant evening out with our family (2 adults, 2 teens). We like the freshness of the rotating items and the dependability of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what i rememberedchablis03Dined on 3/13/2014I went here a few years ago and had no complaints. This time, I found the food just so-so, not worth the price. Maybe it was a new menu (they were closed until 530 that day becasue the staff was tasting the new spring menu), or maybe it has gone down hill since last time, who knows. I just know it was not impressive at all. The service was ok, was good with our kids, however, my meal came late, almost after everyone else was done. We were given the check before being asked about dessert, and glad we got dessert, becasue it was the best thing about the meal. Overall, i would probably not go here for a while, until things change, or I forget about this last experience!Special Features:
- Good food, Excellent Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was great, highly recommend the meatloaf, but the stand out was the fantastic service! It felt like we were waited on by 10 people all working in perfect sync. All of the staff seemed to really be having a good time and that they took a lot of pride in their service. I would definitely go here again just because of how well they treated us, they really made it a fun and special evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A first 5 star from meautieeggyDined on 2/13/2014I seldom give five star ratings but the food here was outstanding. The wine the waitress recommended was really good and not overpriced at all. We were there for quite a while before my companion pointed out that the table next to us had two moms and four children - who were all exceptionally well behaved. We were probably making more noise than them! Gave the service 4 stars not really because of our waitress - she was chatty and very knowledgeable - but I think she had too many tables to keep up with. Though there were other servers who helped her out. Maybe that's the way it was supposed to work. Anyway, I will definitely be going back to try more off their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedIandKDined on 2/8/2014We ordered Stuffed mozzarella for an appetizer, I had the Papardelle and my husband had a dish with cauliflower risotto and something else, but I don't remember what it was called and can't remember what it looked like because we both devoured our food. You get a few slices of bread before they bring the dishes out. I recommend going there with an empty stomach so at least you have a chance at finishing everything! The food was definitely scrumptious, if I had a bigger stomach I would have had dessert there as well. We had a couple of hot alcoholic drinks - hot buttered rum and hot bourbon. The drinks were not bad at all. The service was quick, but not hurried and our waiter was very friendly but not intrusive. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No surprisesDavidGDined on 2/8/2014Definitely a meat-oriented menu at this time of year (February), so if you're a vegetarian or pescetarian, you have fewer options. The portions are sizeable here, so you won't go hungry. There's not much in the way of nuance to their dishes. The pear/gorgonzola/brown-butter ravioli was a little on the sweet side. I was expecting more flavor and seasoning from beef cheek pappardelle. The highlight of the evening was their awesome macaroni and cheese, with a really nice roasted Anaheim flavor. The ambience of the place is great, and it was enhanced this particular night by the snow falling outside (sorry, you can't order that). We felt warm and taken care of. Overall, nothing to complain too much about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi-life is a nearby restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Hi-life is a nearby restaurant where my husband eat regularly. The food is consistently good. The menu is revised seasonally. I had wonderfully prepared ravioli. Our grandchildren were with us because they love the children's menu.Special Features:
- Not great. Its bar food.MSeattleVIPDined on 1/4/2014We were really disappointed that the reviews suggested this place had excellent food and nice ambiance. The restaurant is basically a bar in a very interesting old fire house. The ahi appetizer tasted like relish. We are sorry we went.
- Poor Service Mediocre FoodBilby1983Dined on 12/31/2013We made a reservation for 4 on New Years Eve. Why make a reservation if you have to sit on bar stools in the bar? We had several questions for our server that seemed so basic but she could answer one. ex "Do you have any champagne?" "How many does this appetizer serve?" "Is this dish vegetarian?". When asked if the dish was vegetarian she scanned the menu and then said "yes". Ok well I can read the menu, I am asking if it is made with chicken stock or any hidden meat items. Dinner was bland and overpriced. The bread was so burned it was gross. We felt rushed despite open tables and no one waiting. We probably would've stayed for another $100 in drinks if we weren't so put off by the service. We may be back for brunch, never for dinner.Special Features:
- Great Family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/29/2013Great place for families and friends to gather. Chicken dinners on Sunday served family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday celebration with friendsBaker45Dined on 12/26/2013We had friends (with 2 children ages 10 and 7) from New Jersey passing through Seattle for one day and we chose to take them to dinner at the Hi-Life because we know they consistently deliver excellent food and great service. The menu offers choices for all ages. The kids enjoyed pizza, mac and cheese and the decorate your own cookie. The server was patient with young and old at the table and was kind enough to remind us that the gratuity has been automatically added to the bill. The atmosphere in the restaurant is warm and casual. We consider this restaurant one of the "must do's" with any of our visiting friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat building.SomeonewhoeatsfoodDined on 12/23/2013I've always been a big fan of firehouses, and also of delicious dinners. These elements combined to become the evening I spent at Hi-Life. The staff were either casually professional or professionally casual; I'm not sure which. They were kind, respectful, and helpful. Our appetizer arrived with haste and was gobbled up in a similar fashion, a decadent broccolini salad with dried cherries and maybe pecans or walnuts or something. I can't remember the kind of nut. The entrees were also delicious. The only thing I'd've changed: The name of the restaurant should not be Hi-Life. It doesn't make any sense. What's that even mean? The name should be something to do with being in a firehouse, right? Utilize that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great toastWoodyDined on 11/29/2013loved their sour dough toast . . . best every and I've many site tests throughout the US. Delightful place to eat and service and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a first date restauarnt.AnnaMeDined on 11/25/2013This was a first date restauarnt. It was great, the waite staff had their acts together and we were able to talk without shouting at each other. The menu was really good, prices were great. You will see us again.Special Features:
- Really great place!JudeDined on 11/19/2013The food is especially terrific, as is the service. And the menu offers a wide variety of choices. Hats off to the chef!Special Features:
- Great service, OK foodWeishDined on 11/9/2013The service was fantastic. They had a great selection of beers, drinks, etc. The food was a little lacking, tho. My burger was over-cooked and just OK. That seemed to be the consensus for most of the dishes at the table. However, we had a large party, so that might have had something to do with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for family dinnerHolleyDined on 11/8/2013We had two families getting together for dinner, and this was a great spot. It's casual but quality- service was very attentive and accommodating, the space worked well- not loud, but not quiet enough that you are self conscious about kids, and the food was great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.