5425 Russell Avenue
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chowfoods.com/hi-life
- Phone: 2067847272
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 8:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Limited Lunch Menu, Daily: 3-5pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday: 3pm - Close
Daily: 3pm - 7pm
Late night menu:
Daily: 10:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Anthony Hubbard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Hi-Life has a private dining room available for adults only. We can host a combination cocktail party and sit-down dinner for up to 40 with your own private bartender.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2067847272
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: The #18 bus runs from Market Street & Leary to downtown Seattle. The stop located on Market also offers transfer service to the #17, #44, and #46 lines. The #15 bus runs down 15th with a stop at the Market Street intersection.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The surrounding streets have a combination of 1-2 hour parking and metered parking.
A word from Hi-Life
Located in Ballard's historic Firehouse No. 18 built in 1911, the Hi-Life serves up a quarterly rotating American Grill menu that features the best of the four seasons here in the Pacific Northwest. With an emphasis on seasonal ingredients and brick oven, our line turns out tasty, full-flavored foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner each and every day.Continued
We have a bountiful, Northwest wine list with over 16 different wines by the glass, as well as a spirited bar with seasonally changing cocktails and 8 local brews on tap.
We have a bountiful, Northwest wine list with over 16 different wines by the glass, as well as a spirited bar with seasonally changing cocktails and 8 local brews on tap.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Hi-Life - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Hi-Life reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)kid-friendly (16)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Always deliversWillBVIPDined on 8/7/2014We always enjoy our experience when dining here. Service is attentive. Food is really good with lots of seasonally changing options. There is a little something for everybody. They are very accommodating with children and large groups. My family always love the inventive cocktail selections from the bar. Don't miss the early bird happy hour M-F, great food and drink specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveRedCoopDined on 8/2/2014We were in Seattle for the day and our daughter recommended "Hi-Life" after her recent visit to the area. Traffic got ahead of us so we were running a little late and the staff was very accommodating regarding this which eased the pressure. I had a chance to preview the menu beforehand and was pleased with my selection ( BBQ pulled pork sandwich ) and the food ordered my my fellow travelers also met with great reviews ( the Tutto Calabria lamb burger and the Quinoa and Black Bean burger ). I also ordered the iced tea and was pleasantly surprised at just how tasty this beverage can be... very refreshing . The side of fries are very delicious too. And the wait staff was very friendly and efficient which definable is always a plus in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014Great service, we were there to celebrate a birthday and the server was excellent and very personable!Special Features:
- Our go to place with the kidsIGGhoshDined on 7/21/2014The Hi-Life is everything a great neighborhood restaurant should be - moderately priced, outstanding cocktails, beers and wines by the glass, solid consistently good food and an awesome kids menu that has variety. This is my go-to place with the kids - dinner at the Hi- Life folowed by a movie at the Majestic Bay. Parking is a pain, but then that's the story for the whole of Ballard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FriendlyjdreganDined on 7/18/2014We took our grandson and both our adult children and their partners out for their first dinner after baby. The staff were so helpful bringing us an ingenious device to cradle the baby up to the table. Food and drinks were wonderful. We had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably great food & serviceSeattleaterDined on 6/27/2014I live in Ballard and love to take friends and family to the Hi-Life. Their food is great for any meal (breakfast and brunch are particularly fun and yummy) and they have always been so accommodating regardless of our group size and make-up (children & babies don't throw them a bit). They are extremely family-friendly, but also great for adults and couples. Fun atmosphere and a great bar as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed breakfast and lunch here on two different days. Ability to make a reservation and meet a colleague and count on getting a table in a timely way was a huge bonus. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2014This place definitely caters to families with kids, but it has a really good menu for a "family"restaurant. Great place to come before going to a movie across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for kidsjtdsonDined on 5/21/2014We go to Hi-Life, not for the food, which is dependable, but not outstanding. We go because it is a great place for a family get together. They are terrific with kids and work well with both allergies and gluten free foods. Not everyone is so nice. It is hard to argue with a place where you can get eggs for dinner.Special Features:
- Always over-delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Easy to forget how good the food is because everything else is awesome!Special Features:
- Good Foodscrb31Dined on 5/10/2014Good Food, Good for groups, enjoyed our visit. Will try it again on a Sunday for Fried Chicken...it has recieved great reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 174 reviews are from the Hi-Life reviews archive.
- Started off in the bar forspecialdinerDined on 4/4/2014Started off in the bar for happy hour - it was great; the pizza was was awesome. Then moved to the dining room for dinner - salmon was delicious and the service was super attentive and triendlySpecial Features:
- Great bloody marys. What'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/4/2014Great bloody marys. What's nice is this place is very kid-friendly but if you are all 21+ the bar is a nice "getaway." Something for everyone. A consistent winner and the fact that they take reservations is HUGE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The great place in the NabeIGGhoshDined on 3/22/2014The Hi-Life does what it says it will do, with good food, great cocktails, exceptional service and a great kid's menu. We began our family dinner-and-a movie night here and my eight and six year old were delighted to have so many choices. I ordered the Tutto Calabria Lamb Burger, and my spouse got the Shaved Asparagus Salad. Both were fantastic - the lamb burger was cooked to a perfect medium rare as requested. My wife also ordered a bowl of French Onion soup and she felt that there was too much vinegar in it - and they took it off our check! The kids had a kid burger (son) amd Mac and Cheese (daughter). We ended up "sampling" the Mac and Cheese. The cocktails were perfect. Our server was friendly, well informed and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2014The Hi-Life is our "go-to" spot when we are looking for a pleasant evening out with our family (2 adults, 2 teens). We like the freshness of the rotating items and the dependability of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what i rememberedchablis03Dined on 3/13/2014I went here a few years ago and had no complaints. This time, I found the food just so-so, not worth the price. Maybe it was a new menu (they were closed until 530 that day becasue the staff was tasting the new spring menu), or maybe it has gone down hill since last time, who knows. I just know it was not impressive at all. The service was ok, was good with our kids, however, my meal came late, almost after everyone else was done. We were given the check before being asked about dessert, and glad we got dessert, becasue it was the best thing about the meal. Overall, i would probably not go here for a while, until things change, or I forget about this last experience!Special Features:
- Good food, Excellent Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was great, highly recommend the meatloaf, but the stand out was the fantastic service! It felt like we were waited on by 10 people all working in perfect sync. All of the staff seemed to really be having a good time and that they took a lot of pride in their service. I would definitely go here again just because of how well they treated us, they really made it a fun and special evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A first 5 star from meautieeggyDined on 2/13/2014I seldom give five star ratings but the food here was outstanding. The wine the waitress recommended was really good and not overpriced at all. We were there for quite a while before my companion pointed out that the table next to us had two moms and four children - who were all exceptionally well behaved. We were probably making more noise than them! Gave the service 4 stars not really because of our waitress - she was chatty and very knowledgeable - but I think she had too many tables to keep up with. Though there were other servers who helped her out. Maybe that's the way it was supposed to work. Anyway, I will definitely be going back to try more off their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedIandKDined on 2/8/2014We ordered Stuffed mozzarella for an appetizer, I had the Papardelle and my husband had a dish with cauliflower risotto and something else, but I don't remember what it was called and can't remember what it looked like because we both devoured our food. You get a few slices of bread before they bring the dishes out. I recommend going there with an empty stomach so at least you have a chance at finishing everything! The food was definitely scrumptious, if I had a bigger stomach I would have had dessert there as well. We had a couple of hot alcoholic drinks - hot buttered rum and hot bourbon. The drinks were not bad at all. The service was quick, but not hurried and our waiter was very friendly but not intrusive. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No surprisesDavidGDined on 2/8/2014Definitely a meat-oriented menu at this time of year (February), so if you're a vegetarian or pescetarian, you have fewer options. The portions are sizeable here, so you won't go hungry. There's not much in the way of nuance to their dishes. The pear/gorgonzola/brown-butter ravioli was a little on the sweet side. I was expecting more flavor and seasoning from beef cheek pappardelle. The highlight of the evening was their awesome macaroni and cheese, with a really nice roasted Anaheim flavor. The ambience of the place is great, and it was enhanced this particular night by the snow falling outside (sorry, you can't order that). We felt warm and taken care of. Overall, nothing to complain too much about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi-life is a nearby restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Hi-life is a nearby restaurant where my husband eat regularly. The food is consistently good. The menu is revised seasonally. I had wonderfully prepared ravioli. Our grandchildren were with us because they love the children's menu.Special Features:
- Not great. Its bar food.MSeattleVIPDined on 1/4/2014We were really disappointed that the reviews suggested this place had excellent food and nice ambiance. The restaurant is basically a bar in a very interesting old fire house. The ahi appetizer tasted like relish. We are sorry we went.
- Poor Service Mediocre FoodBilby1983Dined on 12/31/2013We made a reservation for 4 on New Years Eve. Why make a reservation if you have to sit on bar stools in the bar? We had several questions for our server that seemed so basic but she could answer one. ex "Do you have any champagne?" "How many does this appetizer serve?" "Is this dish vegetarian?". When asked if the dish was vegetarian she scanned the menu and then said "yes". Ok well I can read the menu, I am asking if it is made with chicken stock or any hidden meat items. Dinner was bland and overpriced. The bread was so burned it was gross. We felt rushed despite open tables and no one waiting. We probably would've stayed for another $100 in drinks if we weren't so put off by the service. We may be back for brunch, never for dinner.Special Features:
- Great Family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/29/2013Great place for families and friends to gather. Chicken dinners on Sunday served family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday celebration with friendsBaker45Dined on 12/26/2013We had friends (with 2 children ages 10 and 7) from New Jersey passing through Seattle for one day and we chose to take them to dinner at the Hi-Life because we know they consistently deliver excellent food and great service. The menu offers choices for all ages. The kids enjoyed pizza, mac and cheese and the decorate your own cookie. The server was patient with young and old at the table and was kind enough to remind us that the gratuity has been automatically added to the bill. The atmosphere in the restaurant is warm and casual. We consider this restaurant one of the "must do's" with any of our visiting friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat building.SomeonewhoeatsfoodDined on 12/23/2013I've always been a big fan of firehouses, and also of delicious dinners. These elements combined to become the evening I spent at Hi-Life. The staff were either casually professional or professionally casual; I'm not sure which. They were kind, respectful, and helpful. Our appetizer arrived with haste and was gobbled up in a similar fashion, a decadent broccolini salad with dried cherries and maybe pecans or walnuts or something. I can't remember the kind of nut. The entrees were also delicious. The only thing I'd've changed: The name of the restaurant should not be Hi-Life. It doesn't make any sense. What's that even mean? The name should be something to do with being in a firehouse, right? Utilize that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great toastWoodyDined on 11/29/2013loved their sour dough toast . . . best every and I've many site tests throughout the US. Delightful place to eat and service and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a first date restauarnt.AnnaMeDined on 11/25/2013This was a first date restauarnt. It was great, the waite staff had their acts together and we were able to talk without shouting at each other. The menu was really good, prices were great. You will see us again.Special Features:
- Really great place!JudeDined on 11/19/2013The food is especially terrific, as is the service. And the menu offers a wide variety of choices. Hats off to the chef!Special Features:
- Great service, OK foodWeishDined on 11/9/2013The service was fantastic. They had a great selection of beers, drinks, etc. The food was a little lacking, tho. My burger was over-cooked and just OK. That seemed to be the consensus for most of the dishes at the table. However, we had a large party, so that might have had something to do with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for family dinnerHolleyDined on 11/8/2013We had two families getting together for dinner, and this was a great spot. It's casual but quality- service was very attentive and accommodating, the space worked well- not loud, but not quiet enough that you are self conscious about kids, and the food was great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2013Everything was fab and the kids loved making their own cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi-Life - Once againMarkusGVIPDined on 10/25/2013Good as always, love the fact that they change their menu frequently. Not sure why OpenTable doesn't award points for the dinner reservation though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in SeattlecdurdyDined on 10/22/2013The title says it all. Their seasonal menus are delicious and showcase local and incredibly fresh ingredients (the mozzarella tasted like it was made 5 minutes ago!), the service is great, and the ambience is fantastic for those looking for upscale casual dining. THE. BEST. RESTAURANT. IN. SEATTLE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixup on reservationjohnhDined on 10/9/2013they sent us a reservation notification and we presented it to the waitress. nevertheless they told open table that our reservation was canceled.
- fun birthdayfoodanonDined on 10/4/2013We had 9 people for a birthday dinner. The reservation was simple and they seated us easily in their dining room. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly accommodating staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2013We booked a table for six people for a going-away party. Unfortunately for the restaurant, our party steadily expanded until we had something like ten people and a one-year-old. The Hi-Life staff were incredibly helpful and understanding as they got us more chairs and offered to move us to a bigger table (we didn't; we made it work). We have been here many times -- it is probably my favorite restaurant in the neighborhood. I only gave the food four stars in this review because my steak (which was very good otherwise) was a bit gristly, and was cooked medium rare to medium, even though I ordered medium well. But still, overall, our experience was great and we would definitely recommend this place for large groups with small children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going againnorthwest1Dined on 9/9/2013There were 4 of us, all with very different likes/dislikes, and there was something for all of us. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the waitress was really nice and helpful on suggestions. We all agreed it was a place we would go again, and probably sit outside with the firepit at our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!NancyKickDined on 8/18/2013We visited HiLife for the Sunday chicken dinner and were as happy as we always are with our experience. HiLife is consistently delicious with amazing service and decent prices. We really love that the menu changes with the seasons too. That adds a little mystery (lol). If you're looking for an inventive, delicious and fairly priced meal, look no further than HiLife.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013I went here with a few girlfriends for a night out. There were a lot of families. The server was extremely helpful, allowing us to create our own drink recipes, and giving us tips on night life options. The food was very good; I had the summer pasta and it was delish. The building is so neat. They had one of the fire station doors open so it was a bit breezy and chilly. Overall, a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.