Hi-Life Bar & Grill
477 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hi-Life Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hi-life.com/
- Phone: 2127877199
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm -2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Paco Pinzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: One of NYC's more popular and long standing neighborhood restaurants offers their favorites as buffet or a la carte to business and home locations.
- Entertainment: Hi-Life presents "iPOD Lounge" - interactive music nights (Thurs, Fri & Sat from 10-late) that allow patrons to make song requests and/or submit a short iPOD playlist to our DJ.
A word from Hi-Life Bar & Grill
Hi-Life Bar & Grill is one of the Upper Westside’s most popular and longstanding neighborhood restaurants (est. 1991). Hi-Life's 1930's decor is the backdrop for bar & grill classics like flame-grilled steaks and hamburgers, broiled and seared fresh fish specials, bountiful "Big Bowls" of pasta and entree salads, and last but not least a Sushi/Raw bar. (Hi-Life was the first NYC restaurant to install a traditional sushi bar in a non-Japanese restaurant setting in 1993. Expertly prepared sushi & sashimi at Hi-Life is a natural extension of the classic Raw Bar one might expect in our 1930's environment.) Hi-Life also serves a "traditional Westside" brunch that features fresh squeezed juices, complimentary blueberry muffins & cinnamon toast as well as a 2.95 brunch cocktail deal. In the warmer months Hi-Life outdoor seating includes 28 seats along Amsterdam Ave and another 18 seats on our 83rd St side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Hi-Life Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Hi-Life Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (11)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- CocoanibDined on 10/17/2014Great food! Awesome happy hours for both alcohol and food. Went on a Friday night and the bar was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food - great ambianceuegdswVIPDined on 10/10/2014A bar with sushi. Indeed! With excellent food, and a fine tapas menu for happy hour which adds even more oomph to the place. There are lots of fresh clams and oysters, and really good main courses, too. I love the decor. It's a place for every age group, but with a young and happy vibe, and clearly for people with discerning food tastes.Special Features:
- Perfect Choice For UsrogertDined on 9/19/2014We were looking for a place with above average food, outdoor seating and reasonable prices and we hit the jackpot on this one. We all enjoyed our meals, the service was very good, we were able to sit outdoors (although slightly cramped, but it is NYC) and the price was right. Not cheap and not expensive. And for the quality of the food and service, the value was outstanding. I was also very pleased that there was easy, close, on street parking available, even though it was prime dinner time. I would recommend this restuarant to anyone who wants very good, reasonably priced food in a casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable choiceNYCGalVIPDined on 7/12/2014I have been here several times with groups and they always handle them well. Food is good and well-priced and the specials are always interesting.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Hi-Life Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Definitely a Hidden GemManhattanMomDined on 6/16/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant that you can count on for good food and ambiance. Great daily specials keep the price reasonable. We love 1/2 price sushi Mondays! We are regulars and will keep coming back. My family is here so often we should get frequent eater points...or at least a plaque in our honor! Sign up for their emails and you'll get a free dessert, hat or T-shirt on your birthday! Love that! Thanks.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bar and grillNYCfeinschmeckerDined on 6/1/2014Food is surprisingly good for a bar and grill. An unexpected surprise is the very good sushi. In the class of neighborhood joints, it is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!TreDiciVIPDined on 5/31/2014They lied to us about whether the tortillas were flour or corn. We asked before ordering the fajitas since my fiancé can't eat flour (gluten) and the waitress's said they only served corn tortillas. When the food arrived they were clearly flour so we asked her 5 times if she was 100% sure they were corn and she said "YES." We knew they weren't so my fiancé didn't take a chance; he just didn't eat them. We didn't want to make a big scene so we didn't complain to a manager then. Instead, I called the restaurant after we left and a manager confirmed they only serve flour tortillas. She tried putting the blame on us for not asking to speak to a manager while we were at the restaurant. Terrible customer service!
- Consistently enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014I mean this in a good way but there aren't many surprises here. We always feel welcome and know there will be good food and drink to enjoy with friends (and it won't "break the bank".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine if you are in the 'hoodNycjennVIPDined on 5/2/2014I have wanted to try this place for a long time- it's good but its not going to be a series regular. The menu is diverse- includes typical bar food as well as sushi, creative drink menu, reasonable prices but nothing that really stands out.Special Features:
- Great Find!SandyODined on 5/2/2014Was looking for a place near the Beacon that had somewhat of a variety on the menu. This place was a great find. The food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly music -- very annoying.TommyBoyDined on 3/22/2014Terribly music -- very annoying. The food was mediocre at best. A much better brunch spot is only a block away in Jacob's Pickles.
- Very Nice Brunch with FriendsTiboDined on 3/22/2014We go there very often when we have friend visiting NYC, you can find everything you wish for brunch sweet and salty at a very fair price, service quality and food are really goodSpecial Features:
- Our "go to" place near AMNHAnonymousVIPDined on 3/15/2014We have had wonderful family meals here. Staff is very accommodating for large groups, and the menu has something for everyone, including youngsters and oldsters alike. Good drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing fancy but an awesome mealflybydinerDined on 2/22/2014Every meal we ordered was delicious. The service was great and they were right ridiculously fast with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy coming to this lively,ISPROUDVIPDined on 2/21/2014Enjoy coming to this lively, neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food MixbjvdayDined on 2/14/2014I liked a lot the mix of Japanese/American food. This would be the place to go to if you're unsure which to eat or want both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,friendly serviceJSH1978Dined on 1/17/2014glad we had reservations on a Friday night. Busy, but not squashed in. Great menu to make selections of small plates or larger ones. They should promote they have a sushi bar, not just sushi in a 'bar'. Looked amazing. Would go back for some! Reasonable prices and no rush to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, casual and buzzing placeAnneDined on 12/28/2013A fun place to drink and dine, featuring a diverse menu with something for everyone. Great happy hour cocktail deals. Very friendly and capable waiter. Fun and lively atmosphere -- though it might be a bit loud for some. A good choice for drinks or dinner with a group of friends, but not the place to go for a quiet, romantic date. Kid-friendly. Sports-fan-friendly with numerous TV screens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudMatthewVIPDined on 10/26/2013This establishment is so incredibly loud. The service is less than ideal and the food was delivered not as ordered.Special Features:
- ShockedHonest162Dined on 10/19/2013We made our Open Table reservation, it was confirmed, we arrived and were told they could not seat us. I have never had that happen to me after years if using Open Table. It was raining and we were forced to walk around trying to find a table at 7:30 on a Saturday evening.
- Nice Find Close to The BeaconDrumman1962Dined on 10/8/2013Hi-Life Bar & Grill was a cool find located about 6 or so blocks from The Beacon Theater. Had a nice menu with a lot of choices, The sushi was good, and we ate from the small plates "Tapas" menu which was very good. We were able to try a bunch of stuff. the dumplings were great, artichokes very good, and the guacamole and chips were delish! I also had a Calif. Burger and it was cooked well and tasted great. Service was great and we got there for Happy Hour which is always a plus! also Tuesday was 50% off sushi, so that was also very cool. Had a great meal with drinks for a very affordable price for the UWS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant!prdeDined on 9/28/2013Great meal - something for everyone - sushi was excellent, delicious burgers, yummy pasta - very good service. Also good music and a fun ambience. An all-around awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!JbnycVIPDined on 9/7/2013I recently celebrated my birthday there on a sat night and had a great experience. The waitress was so accommodating with all my friends specific orders and was very friendly. The food and drinks were great and had a good vibe. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Anything you could wanthkwhVIPDined on 6/10/2013This is a great neighborhood restaurant and the people who work here are always really accomodating. It's a casual place but you'll find the menu has something for everyone. Turkey chili is great and I like the sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, fun placescookeDined on 6/7/2013I like Hi-Life as a great spot to go if you don't really know what exactly you want to eat. the menu is diverse, they have a great selection of beers and I have been happy with everything I have ordered. Recommended: guacamole and chips, veggie burger, Yogurt and Granola at breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was adequate...nothingAlFrescoVIPDined on 4/21/2013The food was adequate...nothing spectacular, but capable.
- I loved everything about theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013I loved everything about the Hi-Life. The hostess could not have been more accommodating to our group as we came in two separate groups. They held our table for over 45 minutes and were incredibly polite which in Manhattan is rare. This is a regular bar and restaurant for people who live in the area and the staff seemed to know most of the regulars. The service was great and so was the food. I would definitely recommend this wonderful gem to anyone and can't wait to visit when I am back in that part of the city.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood place toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013Great neighborhood place to enjoy your food in a very relaxed atmosphere.
- Nice for brunch because itKarynalotDined on 3/3/2013Nice for brunch because it wasn't too busy and it was easy to get into
- Very enjoyable family dinnerNancyVIPDined on 2/28/2013Very enjoyable family dinner with good reasonably priced food- roast chicken, fish, appetizers, happy hour drink prices. Music was a bit loud, but the atmosphere was fun and our table was private. We will return!Special Features:
- Met my sister for brunch herejlupeVIPDined on 2/24/2013Met my sister for brunch here over the weekend. We were fortunate to get a seat in the porch area as the inside is a bit dark. Food was better than expected and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- Service for brunch on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Service for brunch on a Saturday for a large group was attentive and friendly without showing any urge to push us out quickly. Food was very good too. Nice local ambience.Special Features:
- This is my favorite neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/10/2013This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. You can get whatever you want to eat - including very good sushi. And for non-sushi eaters (hard to understand that there are actully people who don't like sushi) they can get whatever they want from burgers to steaks to salads. And there is a bar. It's like an upscare diner. I love it.Special Features:
- Basic brunch food with promptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/27/2013Basic brunch food with prompt attentive service during the busy weekend rush. Ably managed a group of 3 families with small kids.Special Features:
- Spoiled Experience: Manager FailOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/24/2013The manager at the end of the meal sort of spoiled my experience. I presented two OpenTable gift certificates and, perhaps mistakenly, had endorsed the back like one would a regular check. She proceeded to tell me that she could not accept them as the bank would not cash them. Long story short, I asked her to call OpenTable and, like I thought, they advised her to try to cash and if that didn't work they would credit the restaurant $40. Well done OpenTable! Not so well done manager--a phone call before approaching me, the customer, would have been a better decision as this little blip at the end of my meal left a bad taste in my mouth. Thank you.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2013This is our favorite family restaurant. We come for brunch every Sunday with kids and for dinner every Friday night. The staff is super friendly and food outstanding. We love Hi Life!Special Features:
- My neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2013One of my favorites. A good variety for visiting guests. Good prices , great serviceSpecial Features:
- Reliable. The "Madmen" 1960sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/12/2013Reliable. The "Madmen" 1960s fee is my favorite part of Hi-Life. Recommended.Special Features:
- Eat to the beatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/11/2013Food, drinks & service all vey good. Loud cool music 80's 90's rock, new wave - remember that? There's tables outside the main room where it's quieter. I'm becoming a regular.Special Features:
- RaeFDined on 1/11/2013While not the most incredible food you will ever eat, Hi Life delivers a good value for money and delicious fare consistently. The sushi deals are great too.,Special Features: