495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192360467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)special occasion (88)fit for foodies (86)romantic (79)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (30)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Family Dinner at HexagoneJBSworldtravelorVIPDined on 8/15/2014Hexagone has become our favorite local spot for good food, good wine, great service and a friendly atmosphere. We are sending a niece off to college so had a family dinner there last weekend and all of it was superb. The lamb chops were especially good! Will definitely continue to call it "our place" in the future. And from the satisfied "ohs' and "ahs" from our family I think they will too.Special Features:
- Don't miss the experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Ir had took two guests to dinner and all of were highly pleased with the service and the fool I had lamb shanks; the best I've ever had.....Minor criticisms: salad greens were room temp., not cold; white beans in cassoulet were al dente. Should have been soft to the bitte. This is a French and not an Italian dish. Great value on the food; our wine was over-priced for the quality.Special Features:
- Great lunchCt17Dined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful lunch here before going to the Old GlobeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Variety, Attentive StaffDawnSanDiegoDined on 8/9/2014The only problem with the menu was that there were too many enticing options and we could only choose one. We had a large group and without exception, every appetizer, entrée and dessert were delectable. The prices were also very moderate for the amount and caliber of the food. We were impressed with the staff as we did not want for anything, but they didn't hover about. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The food service was great but we waited 15 minutes or more at the bar for our drinks....only 1 bartender and he was making mojitos for others and it took too long.....someone should have come to his aid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Cuisine Fantastique!travelbugatosuVIPDined on 8/7/2014Three of us celebrated a friend's birthday here with a wonderful lunch. The service was superb and the waiter even shared with us some smart phone apps that we could use for translations. We started our lunch with the soup of the day: cream of celery and apple. The brie, eggplant, and turkey sandwich was delicious! It was not crowded on a weekday and we had a leisurely meal; the atmosphere was conducive to conversation.Special Features:
- LunchableBigFanDined on 8/7/2014I've enjoyed happy hour and dinner here but this was my first lunch at Hexagone. The chicken was superb and my business partner loved her scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French imitationWhitemiceVIPDined on 8/5/2014Classic French in a very nice setting near Balboa Park. While the dishes are not perfect imitations of counterparts in other cities (think San Francisco/New York), this is quite a good experience. The wine list could use a little tweaking and some additions to the menu to expand the range of French cuisine would be appreciated. The specials tend to be rather uninspired. There is one disappointment: the bread and butter are not classic French and sometimes are not fresh.
- kathyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We have eaten here several times but last night was not as pleasant an experience as it has been. The food was OK and the wine too expensive. There was no air-conditioning. Location to Balboa Park and underground parking are what might make me return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hexagone is consistently excellentbscommentsVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food here gets better and better, and it has always been good. The staff accommodates the diner's requests with a smile, no matter how bizarre. Hexagone has remained one of our favorite restaurants since it first opened?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8-4-14LUV2EATPRIMERIBDined on 8/2/2014First time at Hexagone for dinner, with date. We had a great waiter, don't know name but he was from S.Africa. GREAT ACCENT. We enjoyed his v isit with us while he did his work. The food was excellent. Date had wine I had tea. Everything was great. Will return...GOOD 'Special Features:
- MarlynMarlynDined on 8/1/2014Nice menu with good food. Service was prompt and helpful. Added feature of free shuttle to Old Globe and back makes this a restaurant we will visit again!Special Features:
- Good meal, spotty serviceStanSDined on 7/31/2014We had a party of 8 and got seated immediately. The waiter was attentive but service from the bar was slow; it took about 15 minutes for a drink to arrive and we had to order glasses of wine twice before they came. The dinners were very good but 2 of the dinners arrived about 5 minutes after the other 6. They should all have come out together. The dinner was so slow that after 1 1/2 hours we had to leave for a show with no coffee or dessert. The shuttle ride to the Old Globe is a helpful touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favoritevipsDined on 7/31/2014We go there once a month , at least and the food is always great and so is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 7/30/2014Consistently wonderful and reasonable which is why we keep going backSpecial Features:
- Nothing to Write Home AboutMASSDined on 7/30/2014The food was fine as was the service but definitely nothing to seek out as a place to have dinner.
- HEXAGONE PLUSIntheHoodDined on 7/29/2014This San Diego French restaurant, the HEXAGONE, has more than just six good "raisons d'être". It has a good name too. France's design/map, is made of six sides, hence its name: Hexagone, in English, Hexagon. However, the good tastes of the fine dishes being served reflect more than six good varieties of the French cuisine. L'HEXAGONE an experience not to be missed. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HexBWMTDined on 7/27/2014Went there before going to Old Globe matinee my lamb chops were good they could have been warmer same with the crab cake, my GF loved her Swordfish though.Special Features:
- Excellent mealEileenDined on 7/25/2014We have dined at Hexagone several times and it has always been wonderful. Even though it is classified as French, it's entrees are creative. This was our first Friday night visit and it turned out to be very busy, which made it more noisey than usual. The service was slightly slow, but not offensive as we were enjoying a visit with friends. I recommend the field greens with blue cheese and pecans salad and either the calves liver/onions or the rib eye with blue cheese and sun dried tomatoes. Overall, the variety of entrees and appetizers as well as a reasonably priced and varied wine list are impressive. We will continue to return as it is reliable and has free parking in a nearby garage.Special Features:
- Refined atmosphere, excellent meal!Lov2dineVIPDined on 7/23/2014Just moved to area and delighted to find such a special dining experience across the street. All four of us had a different entrée, all of which were noteworthy. Short ribs are amazing! Wait staff is knowledgeable and responsive. Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French restaurant???OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Although this is supposed to be a French restaurant they did not have any Sancerre - even though it is on the menu; they did not serve pate with the charcuterie plate - even though it was on the menu and they did not offer french wine by the glass. Sorry but I won't be back.
- Before theatretibbiefanDined on 7/22/2014Great for dining before going to the Old Globe. Dinner here is always enjoyable. This time we parked in Balboa Park and walked leisurely to the restaurant (just across the bridge). The restaurant offers theatre parking. You can park in the parking structure and they will drop you off at The Old Globe and pick you up after the performance (if you dine there of course). Since we parked at the park, we were dropped off at the theatre and our car was nearby at the end. Worked great. Food and service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!meemrsdDined on 7/22/2014My husband and I went early because we were going to the Old Globe. Hexagone is a short stroll from the entrance to Balboa Park. The food was excellent and the service friendly and impeccable. This is a real gem! The menu selections are diverse, but not overwhelming. The portions are just right. I would HIGHLY recommend this delightful restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014Wonderful food-Great little bar-Excellent service-Always have dinner here whenever I am in San Diego.Special Features:
- Easy Trip to FranceMWMIVIPDined on 7/20/2014Dining at Hexagone is the next best thing to dining in France. The food is of the highest quality and expertly prepared. The service is impeccable and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasion.WaxmetaphysicsDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant would be a great spot for a romantic dinner or lunch. The atmosphere is very classy; good for conversing. The entrees were delicious, I had the mushroom ravioli and my date had the tenderloin. Both had tasted good and both had good presentation. However my only two complaints were the small size of the tenderloin and the escargot was under-seasoned. Overall the experience was good, but be prepared to shell out mucho deniros for this place.Special Features:
- OopsAnaheimVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have dined here before and it was fine. This time very bad. Our first food arrived one and a half hours after we were seated. After we asked for bread we subsisted on that for 90 minutes. No explanations were given for the delay until we asked (several times). Two signature dishes were unavailable first thing in the evening. (We found out well after we had ordered them.)Special Features:
- ElizabethVIPDined on 7/18/2014First, I was feeling really guilty about being a few minutes late for our reservation, until we stood at the hostess stand for over 5 minutes before anyone acknowledged or seated us. It was then our waiter that seated us, and never checked us in for our reservation. Service was slow, even though the restaurant was not busy. After we were finally served, we didn't see our waiter much, though he was helpful when we did see him. We wanted a slower meal and time to visit, but we felt downright ignored sometimes. My husband's water was empty on 3 different occassions. As always, the food was delicious and the ambience what we hoped for, but the service was lacking that night.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 7/18/2014Food was average . Waiter spent a whole lot of time chatting with guests at neighboring table.. Very disruptive to the enjoyment of our mealSpecial Features:
- no ambience hereluv2dineDined on 7/16/2014Went to celebrate a birthday-1.bartender ignored us and waited on friends who came in AFTER us; leaving us sitting and waiting until I went to bar. 2.Waiter had us wait forever for everything- no pepper mill with salad(those around us were offered it). 3. Had to go and get waiter when my friend wanted another glass of wine with dinner. 4. Birthday was celebrated with a candle in a glass-no asking if we wanted dessert or an offer of something to celebrate. I LOVE THEIR FOOD, but nothing else!!!!!
- Bastille Day CelebrationFriendsVIPDined on 7/14/2014Hexagone does a wonderful job with specials. July 14 they offered a Bastille Day prefix menu. The food was fabulous - my starter was Scallops cooked perfectly, the Sea Bass on a bed of spinach both perfect and finished the night with a Chocolate Bomb - best description - it is a Bomb of flavor (I could eat this every day). Sign up for Hexagons email notices - it will guarantee you hear about the specials you don't want to miss.Special Features:
- Via La France!Paris2Dined on 7/13/2014The special Bastille Day menu was perfect and very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerouterDined on 7/13/2014Wonder and relaxed atmosphere. Had a really good time. We will visit again. We were rushed; had theater tickets. The wait staff understood and got us out on time and surprise!; they provided a shuttle to the Old Globe. Will definitely return and spend more time.Special Features:
- it was OK...as a first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Not excellent fresh...despite OK. glad i use the groupon
- Our Go To Place for BirthdaysLeslieDined on 7/11/2014We love this restaurant. We often bring our own bottle of wine and pay a reasonable corkage fee, and eat like royalty! Rarely do we stray from the Braised Beef Ribs or Beef Bourguinone (sp?), but I've had their fish special a few times and it is always excellent. The bar has been discovered, and is now packed by 5:30 on weekends. They have moved a few tables outside which gives everyone more room, so that is nice for summer. Waiters are eager to please but not pretentious.Special Features:
- Very pleasedLuCasDined on 7/10/2014It was my birthday celebration, first time with a group at the Hexagone. Everything worked flawless, the pickiest of my friends had some complaints (I'm not surprised) but was nicely handled by the owner and at the end she was just as happy as I am. My beef bourguignon was out of this world! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School FrenchKevinMDined on 7/8/2014If you want Coq au Vin or Calf's liver, this is probably the go-to place in SD. Weak beer selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner before playOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/8/2014We were looking for a good alternative spot for a good dinner before going to the Old Globe. We wanted close and good. The Hexagone is both. At Fifth and Laurel, it is walking distance for many and a short drive for the rest of us. This was our second time dining here and we had great experiences both times.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return there!TasmanVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food and service were excellent!!! Highly recommended!!! First time there and will definitely be going back, many menu items we can't find in north San Diego county...Special Features:
- R and EOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2014My husband and I were very pleased to have discovered this fine restaurant. We were going to The Globe and therefore took their offer of a shuttle both to and from The Globe. This was a very nice addition and made our visit all the more delightful. We will return very soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.