495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192360467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)special occasion (80)fit for foodies (76)romantic (68)notable wine list (40)great for lunch (20)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delicious food & a French waiterDawnSanDiegoVIPDined on 10/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the Duck in Orange sauce and the Sea Bass, but not before we had the Field Green salad. The Chocolate Bomb for dessert melts in your mouth. Warm & attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, quiet placeSusanVIPDined on 10/21/2014only problem was that they seemed a bit disorganized. We had to wait nearly 10 min although they were not at all busy, and despite my twice saying that we had a reservation, did not check us in, so Open Table listed us as a no-show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale mature return dinersopenTDined on 10/18/2014A very nice evening even though the restaurant was somewhat loud-no music, but full tables with parties trying to talk having to raise their voice beyond normal levels . The food was memorable with eclectic gourmet selections. Yes, we will return, but probably request a quieter part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentBreezeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have never had anything at Hexagone that wasn't excellent—food, service, wine… The wait staff is always so pleasant. We particularly like sitting in Johann's station. He is a beautiful French man--always kind and gives honest recommendations. My favorite dish is the Mediterranean Sea Bass. The mussels appetizer is also great!Special Features:
- A disappointment!DisappointedDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter started by greeting us, setting down our menus on the table and leaving-not very welcoming! He rushed us to order drinks or wine when we weren't ready. While waiting for our food, chatting he thought he was being amusing by telling me to get my elbows off the table, "just being cheeky," he said. The food arrived in a timely manner. The cream of mushroom was tasty! The sea bass special was OK, not great. In the past, we have had good meals here. We waited awhile before we could get our waiter's attention to order dessert.The crust of the Apple tartin was excellent! Later that evening we all had indigestion! The noise level was so intense we could hardly hear ourselves converse during the meal. I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Not up to usual standardDawnSanDiegoVIPDined on 10/16/2014Although the food was generally very good ( the Lobster Bisque had no evidence of lobster in it) our waiter was inattentive and rude. We waited a long time to give our order, the waiter was dismissive with our questions, didn't refill our water until he was clearing our dinner plates, and dropped the dessert menus in front of us without a word. We weren't told that it was a special night (with singer) when we made reservations, so we could not use our Living Social voucher. All around not what I expect from HexagonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNABLE TO USE VOUCHERJWP99VIPDined on 10/16/2014The day was considered a SPECIAL EVENT and the voucher would not be honored.Special Features:
- Excellent SwordfishSouthofTalbotVIPDined on 10/12/2014The swordfish was probably the most tender I've ever had. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent dishes, nice ambianceDmkrDined on 10/11/2014Beautifully presented dishes, all well prepared. Save room for desserts.dmkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGggDined on 10/9/2014Food is consistently reliable. Very convenient for theater nights. Like the decor & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, Decent, and AwfulianjfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Romantic setting; lovely and quiet. Food was good, but not spectacular, a little pricey for the portion size. The service was awful. Very indifferent staff, waiter Yohann would disappear for long intervals for no apparent reason. I don't feel I should have to coach and instruct a waiter through the whole bloody meal. Didn't seem to have a clue. Waste of a tip. Would also suggest a little variety on the veg selection. We ordered two different starters that came with the same ratatouille accompanying them both. When our entrees came...you guessed it, the same veg was served with the entrees. For over 100.00 with no wine, how about a little creativity and variety.Special Features:
- Used to be BetterKAC31VIPDined on 10/7/2014We had been going there for years, but the last time we went about a year ago it just wasn't the same. So, I decided to give it one more try the other night, thinking they had just had a bad night previously, sadly that wasn't the case. I think it was even more dissappointing this go round. Nothing tasted fresh and we had no desire to finish our plates. So sad because it used to be awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We enjoy everything about Hexagone starting with the professional owner and his expertise in providing outstanding culinary menusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best traditional French food in SDSD2foodiesDined on 10/3/2014We were there for dinner. We ordered clams in wine sauce, Coq au Vin & NY steak with blue cheese. The wine selection is good. The food was done in the home styled French manner. The dessert list is interesting. We ordered the souffle. It was hot & yummy. The wait staffs were wonderful. It was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SpecialsFriendsVIPDined on 10/2/2014Sign up for Hexagones email - you will learn about great deals. Like the Steak and Lobster special. Presentation was spectacular - taste equaled the presentationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealTropicaleVIPDined on 10/1/2014We decided to try it during San Diego Restaurant Week. Just like others have mentioned upon arrival there was no host in the reception area and we stood there akwardly for a few minutes before a passing waiter acknowledged us. Once we were seated the service was great and the food was exceptional. The scallop appetizer was wonderful and my rack of lamb was perfectly prepared. We were very pleased with everything and very happy to learn that they have a shuttle service to The Old Globe Theatre so if you go there for a pre-theatre dinner you can leave your car parked in their free parking lot and they will drive you to the theatre and pick you up afterwards. BTW Valet parking at Globe is now $12 so you save right there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time !TasmanVIPDined on 10/1/2014Really like the place, the menu and the service, we always have a great time when we have been here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014From bartender to server, we never felt served but as a disruption to their self-absorbed realities. For such a high-end restaurant with good food and ambiance, good service would make the dining experience great and seem like a good value.
- WonderfulKatrwVIPDined on 9/27/2014After reading reviews, we were hesitant. But, it was restaurant week, so we decided to try it. It was wonderful! Lobster soup was good and creamy. The scallops were perfect. The rack of lamb was the best. And, the duck- wonderful. The chocolate dessert was yummy. Our server was friendly and attentive. We had a wonderful time! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!katy101VIPDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoy going to Hexagone, this is our 4th visit. The Chef really puts out a good product. This visit we had Seabass and it was perfectly cooked and a nice size portion. Will come back again. My only negative this visit was the server...it is restaurant week and we couldn't order off the regular menu, no big deal, but the server could not get us out FAST enough. There were still tables available so it wasn't like we were holding up a table. If it happens next visit I will be mentioning it. When you have a reservation you should be able to dine at your own pace, not a 35 minute race!
- Excellent Food & ServiceSDKitchenistaDined on 9/25/2014We recently dined at Hexagone during SD Restaurant Week. We wanted something a little formal with a nice ambiance. We were not disappointed! I had been to Happy Hour at Hexagone before, but never dinner. We loved the Veal Sweetbreads, the garlic-wine sauce was amazing! The Lobster Bisque & Salad with Fried Goat Cheese were also good. The entrees we selected were: Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Sauce - delish. Filet Mignon with Au Gratin Potatoes & Veggie Purse - excellent. And Swordfish in a Vermouth Sauce - also delicious. We shared all three desserts; which were all divine. The 2 bottles of Sancerre made us happy, but best of all was the attentive service. Jerry was the perfect balance of funny & professional. We will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFun4foodieDined on 9/24/2014The service was wonderful. The food delicious. Very clean they were very accommodating for food allergies. Very flexible. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableDinerDined on 9/24/2014Three of us dined there recently. The experience was very enjoyable and the food was excellent. Great service, great food, and local makes for a return visit in my bookSpecial Features:
- Not So Impressed....DineAllTheTimeDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is super cute and almost quaint, being that its so cozy. We arrived early and were sat right away. There were not many people in the place. Our server was odd and didn't like to make eye contact or really talk to us at all, now that I think about it. He wasn't rude, just not great. I ordered the scallop appetizer, and the beets were forgotten. My friend ordered the lobster soup, and they were all out. Weird, its not even 630pm, and you don't have lobster soup? The scallops were divine though. The wine list was pretty good and so was my filet. Cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. All in all, it's not that it was bad, it just wasn't great. For my own meal being $100, I just expected a bit more. But I'll try anything once!Special Features:
- Perhaps another night...Judie1170VIPDined on 9/14/2014Great food, but the service was lacking and there were several menu items that were not available. Perhaps Sunday evening is not the best time to go. This is the second Sunday night experience at Hexagone that was disappointing. Again, food was delicious!Special Features:
- Decent food, Terrible ServiceSuave001Dined on 9/13/2014Upon entering the restaurant, we stood at the reception desk for about 15mins before anyone even acknowledged that we were there. We were seated and given menus and brought water and bread like prisoners while we waited for someone to take our drink order and give us napkins which weren't on the table. The server finally came to take our orders only to receive a cold plate of braised short ribs which were returned to the kitchen. The new plate was piping hot and the short ribs where charred. The manager never came over to apologize for the issue nor did anyone offer anything to correct the mistake. This fine dining restaurant staff looks like they were trained by Burger King.
- Is Hexagone Slipping8outagainVIPDined on 9/13/2014Arrived on time, surprised the restaurant was half empty. No one greeted or seated us or the 8 others waiting. Staff seemed not to notice the crowd gathering. The maitre 'd was absent. When he appeared he ignored all of us and instead went to an occupied table. Eventually a waiter took us past non bussed tables to a table with only a tablecloth. Glasses and flatware were added later, but we still had to wait fifteen minutes for water and to make a drink order. The bread and butter arrived about 30 minutes after we had ordered. The food was very good, but the service in an uncrowded restaurant that features fine dining service was abysmal. Despite several close passes the owner never once acknowledged us. Something is going on....Special Features:
- fast and friendly service B+parkshunterDined on 9/12/2014Food needed a bit more seasoning, particularly the pasta shrimp scampi and mussels . The escargot, sweet breads, French onion and leak mushroom soup were all very good. My husband enjoyed his duck very much. Overall dining experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightRiddler51Dined on 9/11/2014We dined here for our anniversary last December and it was fabulous. This time around they were very busy, short-handed and perhaps a different chef. Food came out over cooked or heated too high so burned outside and not done inside. Our waiter was very nice, but had to work way too many tables and customers were showing their impatience. Best thing was dessert! So at least a good ending. Would go again, but not comfortable recommending to others.
- Too much saltJuneyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Fish is overcooked and dry. Scallops were overly salted. French onion soup was too sweet. Frog legs were too tough. Cocktails were good.Special Features:
- Great food; beautiful presentationeatzalotDined on 9/5/2014The menu has an ample number of wonderful selections and they are not only delicious but beautifully presented. Always a treat to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very loudNoisy2Dined on 9/5/2014I took a friend who uses a walker to dinner on Friday. We were sitting next to a very loud obnoxious table of 5 people who were there for happy hour. The table next to us asked to be moved because of noise. We couldn't because of the walker. Impossible to carry on a conversation so our evening was ruined. Owner could have cared less. The waiter and the owner should have tried to make it better by offering to pay for our drinks or desert or something. I have been in 5 Star restaurants where we would never have been allowed to walk out of the restaurant without some compensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant place for French foodStephanieVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love coming to Hexagone for a quiet, elegant meal and a ride to the Old Globe. The service can be a little bit odd -- yesterday the waiter asked us if our meal was "yummy" -- but it's just part of the quirky charm of the place.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualWeLiveToEatDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful meal, starting with the scallop appetizer, followed by sea bass and rack of lamb. We found the service and sauces to be exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!nednrah11VIPDined on 8/31/2014Awesome and delicious food. I had to give 3 stars for service as it took 45 minutes for our food to come out. The server (guy from Cape Town) was very nice and professional and it wasn't crazy busy so not sure why it took so long but otherwise, this is a great place and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Je regrette tout.jmparisDined on 8/31/2014Nothing special about this place. The music wasn't even French. The menu selection hasn't changed in years. I requested a slow table and the courses still came too fast to enjoy at the leisurely pace of a true European gastronomic experience. I was vastly disappointed.
- would not go again.LovetodinezzzDined on 8/30/2014We used a groupon,$60 for $100, still not worth it, greeted by elderly gentleman French? He sat us down and we waited and waited while every zoomed past us, I got up and got our own menu and had to tell the person who sat us we are walking out in 5 minutes if we do not get service, our waiter came and asked what we wanted the first 2 choices they were out of, everything went downhill from there, Who owns this place, wake up!!!! Ever here of a pre-dinner service meeting? Hire a front of the house manager, dump the old guy setting people, ware of money, waste of time, should have been Leary of a 40 % groupon for a French restaurant, food was passable.Special Features:
- OopsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My boyfriend and I went for a romantic dinner one night and the food was pretty good, but my fish was over cooked and it was a fairly hefty bill. Our thoughts/concerns were more influenced by the staff, and possibly owner. Our server was very nice and knowledgeable, but he had a problem with perspiration. The person who we decided must be the owner was the worst. He took a chair from our table, without the courtesy "Do you mind?", he then sat at the neighboring table. As he was saying goodbye to this other couple he was standing with his back / rear to our table.... he then let one rip. Thank god it didn't smell. But that was a really awkward moment for my boyfriend and I. I'm not sure we will be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Another excellent dinnerDowntownGirlVIPDined on 8/28/2014The overall quality of this neighborhood gem cannot be beat for the price. We had their sea bass/lobster special. It was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Don't Waste your TimeEat4LifeDined on 8/27/2014My mother came into town and I wanted to treat her to something nice. I have seen great reviews about this place and thought I should give it a try.. WRONG MOVE! I don't think their reviews are real people!! The place was empty! Our server was more interested in the busser's car than his two tables. It took us forever to get service and what we got was rude, rushed and impolite. I asked for recommendations, he replied "You have the try Chicken Coq Au Vin and the Beef Bourguignon." Both of his recommendations, including the Beef Short ribs were HORRIBLE!!! My Beef Bouriguinon was so dry and sour that it was worse than Dog food (or what I think dog food would taste like), the beef short ribs were so dry it should have been jerky