495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 236-0467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Hexagone - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)special occasion (64)romantic (60)fit for foodies (59)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (22)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- They claimed they gave meOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2009They claimed they gave me filet mignon but it was definitely sirloin - even the waiter "mistakenly" mentioned that when putting it down. HOWEVER, with that being said, our waiter was very kind and offered to bring back another (this time it was definitely filet) and his service was remarkable. The snails were superb and I genuinely enjoyed my experience. My only complaint was that it was a bit pricey (even if it is restaurant week) and the restaurant itself has poor acousticsSpecial Features:
- I've been to Hexagone twice,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2009I've been to Hexagone twice, for Mother's day brunch and Restaurant week. The host seated us in a timely fashion, and the food and service was outstanding. The only downside is that it could get a bit too crowded and the space is a little tight whereas I could hear another diner's conversation.Special Features:
- It was grand to see the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2009It was grand to see the restaurant so well attended at 8:30 on a Friday evening. We arrived earlier than our reservation called for, but it didn't take long for the owner to find a spot for us. Lots of picky eaters and drinkers at my table - but each order was carefully taken, reviewed, and filled without a glitch. Congratulations to our server and I wish I could recall his and the owner's name. We will be back and soon. Drinks a bit on the skimpy side. Forgotten olives for the martini soon arrived with a bonus olive. Noise level makes it a bit hard for conversation. But all else made the experience worthwhile.Special Features:
- The service was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2009The service was attentive and efficient. Food (scallops, duck, halibut) was absolutely delicious. Only negative was the noise level as the tables were close together and we (three of us) had to almost shout to converse. But we would go back to Hexagone again.Special Features:
- I was very much looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/18/2009I was very much looking forward to dining at Hexagone, but I have to say that I was very disappointed with my experience. When we arrived, the maitre d' noted that we had reservations for a certain table (and the restaurant was quite empty), but he told the server to switch us to another table, which was right in front of the service entrance. Perhaps it was because we were there for SD Restaurant Week. Secondly, the iced tea seemed to have a strange aftertaste to it. The server seemed snooty and said that she did not taste anything, even though my spouse and I both tasted the same taste. The goat cheese salad and the filet mignon were quite good, but the duck and the profiteroles were only average. I will not be going back.
- Great service & outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2009Great service & outstanding food! One of my new favs. Carol R.Special Features:
- Loved the Restaurant weekBrunchloverVIPDined on 9/17/2009Loved the Restaurant week menu. Can't wait to see the regular menu.Special Features:
- Our dinners were cooked perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2009Our dinners were cooked perfectly and when served were spaced far enough apart so that one course did not arrive on top of the other. Was never rushed. Jerry our server was incredible.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2009We had a wonderful waiter who was shamelessly complimentary, his timing was flawless and he did everything to enhance our dining experience. The atmosphere was upscale and reserved but without the slightest hint of ostentation. The plates were very well portioned. And the food was delicious as well as visually stunning.Special Features:
- The food was good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2009The food was good but not spectacular. Some of us ordered steak medium rare and it came out well done. When we pointed out to our waiter, he changed it immediately. Restaurant served steak without a steak knife! For such a nice restaurant, it surprised me.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2009The food and service were absolutely outstanding! I will definitely dine there again!
- We were delighted with theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2009We were delighted with the food and service, We will be back!!!Special Features:
- We had an incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2009We had an incredible experience at Hexagone. The staff was attentive, the food was incredible, and we'll absolutely be back. They've single handedly changed my mind about how fabulous Rose wine can be... Thanks!Special Features:
- Food was boring and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2009Food was boring and overpriced. Bland soup. Tasteless fish. Stale puff pastry profiteroles. (The chocolate sauce tasted like Hershey's syrup with water added). Tried this during restaurant week and will never go back.
- We dined during the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2009We dined during the restaurant week and certainly enjoyed the prix fixe menu. We were seated at a lovely table in the window, the service was impeccable with a friendly but not intrusive staff, and the food was certainly delicious. We had a lovely evening.
- The food was delicious withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2009The food was delicious with interesting pairings that really brought out a medly of flavors. Everything was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- The food is wonderful. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2009The food is wonderful. Our scallops were seared perfectly. Tender and moist. The beef tender was cooked to perfection - not over sauced and the portion was huge but not the price. We finished our dinner with a tasty bananas foster cheesecake. We didn't have any wine but we did look at the list. A great selection and GREAT pricing. The service is knowledgeable and very friendly. However, on the night we went our service was spotty at best. We chalked it up to an off night. Give this place a try - you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- The food is consistently good.cmackVIPDined on 9/9/2009The food is consistently good. I have eaten hear several times and loved everything I have tried. The french onion soup is the best in the city. The prices are reasonable and lunch prices represent a very good value. The service is pleasant, but is sometimes a bit slow.Special Features:
- We've been to Hexagone before.StanSDined on 9/5/2009We've been to Hexagone before. The food and service continue to be first rate.Special Features:
- My lady-friend and I walkedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2009My lady-friend and I walked into Hexagon after the lunch hub-bub,so,we did not experience the 'madenning downtown' lunch rush. What we did discover was a comfortably-un-pretentious esatablishment,with a cosmo. feel. (in a small minded city). Not inbibing in the alchoholic beverages,we went right to the food(no dilly dallying). I had the Lamb Chops.I don't recal which salad we split-but,we both thought very highly of it. Both of our carniverous selections were prepared to perfection(as requeted). I as so impressed-I tried to return there a few days later.I even made a reserevation. But,alas-things don't always pan out as planned-so,I had to cancel. I SHALL RETURN!Special Features:
- Patrick has recieeved a separateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2009Patrick has recieeved a separate lttter concerning our time at Heaxagone. Thank you.
- Our server, Jerry, was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2009Our server, Jerry, was great. Food was very good, although I found it peculiar that the sirloin, which was accompanied by bearnaise sauce on the side, was also served with a brown sauce ladled over it on the serving plate.
- Great food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2009Great food and great service. Very friendly staff. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Very nice for dinner beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2009Very nice for dinner before the show at The Old Globe theater in San Diego
- Excellent new bistro justANSH90210VIPDined on 8/22/2009Excellent new bistro just outside Balboa Park. We were running late and owner drove us to the theater in his car. True French ownership with old and modern cuisine.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful lunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2009We had a wonderful lunch and were very impressed with the attendance of our waiter - The food was delicious and served in those incredible french sauces. We hope to come back again soon for another memorable experience. The wine was better than any we had tasted in a long while. We wish Hexagone continued success and will recommend to all our friends.Special Features:
- Great place to go before aOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2009Great place to go before a show. The french food is comfort food and nothing is bad.Special Features:
- Great Service. They try hardFood4allVIPDined on 8/15/2009Great Service. They try hard in the kitchen, but miss.Special Features:
- Our waitress was nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2009Our waitress was nice, but very inexperienced. She was not aware of the Pre-Fixe menu that I found online, but was not shown in the restaurant. It took 15 minutes to get a cocktail, and then only one out of two because they did not have ingredients to make a 7 and 7... We never did see a wine list, and it was not offered. Said there was chocolate cake for dessert, and then brought chocolate ice cream. We did appreciate the very fast and very polite driver who took us to the Old Globe. For a pre-theatre restaurant, it was very convienent and elegant.Special Features:
- Our first visit to ParagoneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2009Our first visit to Paragone and we loved it! The French onion soup, escargot, and beef bourguignon were excellent. Window tables offer nice street views. It has a nice, quiet setting for a relaxing meal. Service was great. We recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves French food.Special Features:
- Compares favorably with theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2009Compares favorably with the best restaurants we have frequented in SD County!
- I have had better meals atPixieguyVIPDined on 8/9/2009I have had better meals at Hexagone than this one. The service was hap-hazard and the server served from the left. Also, the wine list was inadequate for a French restaurant, and the server recommended wines not in stock. Food was so-so. My companion's so called short ribs was actually brisket of beef. My lamb shank had been cooked hours ahead and dry as a bone. The smoked salmon appetizer was excellent with house dry smoked fish. Maybe they were having an off day with service and wine.Special Features:
- Excellent food...nice proportions.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2009Excellent food...nice proportions. Service and wine selection are excellent!Special Features:
- XLNT restaurant - food, drinks,DelMartianVIPDined on 8/6/2009XLNT restaurant - food, drinks, service, ambiance. Our first time at Hexagone, but definitely not our last. Great martinis. The dishes we had were XLNT - Seabass in a Mediterranean sauce and beef tenderloin in a Cabernet sauce. Views out to 5th or Laurel, you pick.Special Features:
- Mussels were thin and rubberyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2009Mussels were thin and rubbery with very little broth, several did not open. Calve's liver was overcooked. Sweetbreads had no crispness to them.
- I'm French and it's the closestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2009I'm French and it's the closest I got to a French restaurant in San Diego, very affordable compared to the other high end French restaurant. Our waiter Gary was also very nice. I woul really recommend this restaurant and already did to some of my friends.
- The food was good but overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2009The food was good but overpriced. The service was inadequate but not due to the server; there were too many customers and too little help for a mid week dinner. The surroundings were elegant and refined. I passed up dessert and coffee because I was freezing and wanted to leave. So dress warmly if you go. My special occasion was a birthday dinner for an 83 year old. Overall I was disappointed and will not return.Special Features:
- While Laurel was our favorite,DineOBitesDined on 7/27/2009While Laurel was our favorite, we decided to try Hexagone. With reservations I expected the table would be ready before seating us, but we were taken to a table without place settings. The service was attentive and kind, the wine list for "by the glass" lacking in information and detail. Wine list should list flavors of the wine. The menu had many options but the descriptions were non-existent. Definitely fix that. People like to read about their dish and it helps make a decision. The Tenderloin, perfect! The Veal with Marsala; was flat. We ended up getting Cabernet sauce and putting it on the Veal. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a dessert menu that is more than creme brulee and apple tart; Passion fruits, lemons try it!Special Features:
- Very nice dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2009Very nice dining experience. Great value for the money. Waiter was very personable and knowledgeable. Easy to find and parking on the street was plentiful. So glad we dined there!
- We had a lovely and most enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2009We had a lovely and most enjoyable experience with Hexagone, starting with the convenient online reservation, a gracious maitre d', an excellent and personable waiter, and superb food. I mentioned a birthday in my reservation, but nothing could have improved on the chocolate souffles to complete the evening.Special Features: