495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192360467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (83)fit for foodies (79)romantic (74)notable wine list (47)great for lunch (21)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Perhaps another night...Judie1170VIPDined on 9/14/2014Great food, but the service was lacking and there were several menu items that were not available. Perhaps Sunday evening is not the best time to go. This is the second Sunday night experience at Hexagone that was disappointing. Again, food was delicious!Special Features:
- Decent food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Upon entering the restaurant, we stood at the reception desk for about 15mins before anyone even acknowledged that we were there. We were seated and given menus and brought water and bread like prisoners while we waited for someone to take our drink order and give us napkins which weren't on the table. The server finally came to take our orders only to receive a cold plate of braised short ribs which were returned to the kitchen. The new plate was piping hot and the short ribs where charred. The manager never came over to apologize for the issue nor did anyone offer anything to correct the mistake. This fine dining restaurant staff looks like they were trained by Burger King.
- Is Hexagone Slipping8outagainVIPDined on 9/13/2014Arrived on time, surprised the restaurant was half empty. No one greeted or seated us or the 8 others waiting. Staff seemed not to notice the crowd gathering. The maitre 'd was absent. When he appeared he ignored all of us and instead went to an occupied table. Eventually a waiter took us past non bussed tables to a table with only a tablecloth. Glasses and flatware were added later, but we still had to wait fifteen minutes for water and to make a drink order. The bread and butter arrived about 30 minutes after we had ordered. The food was very good, but the service in an uncrowded restaurant that features fine dining service was abysmal. Despite several close passes the owner never once acknowledged us. Something is going on....Special Features:
- fast and friendly service B+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Food needed a bit more seasoning, particularly the pasta shrimp scampi and mussels . The escargot, sweet breads, French onion and leak mushroom soup were all very good. My husband enjoyed his duck very much. Overall dining experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightRiddler51Dined on 9/11/2014We dined here for our anniversary last December and it was fabulous. This time around they were very busy, short-handed and perhaps a different chef. Food came out over cooked or heated too high so burned outside and not done inside. Our waiter was very nice, but had to work way too many tables and customers were showing their impatience. Best thing was dessert! So at least a good ending. Would go again, but not comfortable recommending to others.
- Too much saltJuneyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Fish is overcooked and dry. Scallops were overly salted. French onion soup was too sweet. Frog legs were too tough. Cocktails were good.Special Features:
- Great food; beautiful presentationeatzalotDined on 9/5/2014The menu has an ample number of wonderful selections and they are not only delicious but beautifully presented. Always a treat to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very loudNoisy2Dined on 9/5/2014I took a friend who uses a walker to dinner on Friday. We were sitting next to a very loud obnoxious table of 5 people who were there for happy hour. The table next to us asked to be moved because of noise. We couldn't because of the walker. Impossible to carry on a conversation so our evening was ruined. Owner could have cared less. The waiter and the owner should have tried to make it better by offering to pay for our drinks or desert or something. I have been in 5 Star restaurants where we would never have been allowed to walk out of the restaurant without some compensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant place for French foodStephanieVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love coming to Hexagone for a quiet, elegant meal and a ride to the Old Globe. The service can be a little bit odd -- yesterday the waiter asked us if our meal was "yummy" -- but it's just part of the quirky charm of the place.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualWeLiveToEatDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful meal, starting with the scallop appetizer, followed by sea bass and rack of lamb. We found the service and sauces to be exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!nednrah11VIPDined on 8/31/2014Awesome and delicious food. I had to give 3 stars for service as it took 45 minutes for our food to come out. The server (guy from Cape Town) was very nice and professional and it wasn't crazy busy so not sure why it took so long but otherwise, this is a great place and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Je regrette tout.jmparisDined on 8/31/2014Nothing special about this place. The music wasn't even French. The menu selection hasn't changed in years. I requested a slow table and the courses still came too fast to enjoy at the leisurely pace of a true European gastronomic experience. I was vastly disappointed.
- would not go again.LovetodinezzzDined on 8/30/2014We used a groupon,$60 for $100, still not worth it, greeted by elderly gentleman French? He sat us down and we waited and waited while every zoomed past us, I got up and got our own menu and had to tell the person who sat us we are walking out in 5 minutes if we do not get service, our waiter came and asked what we wanted the first 2 choices they were out of, everything went downhill from there, Who owns this place, wake up!!!! Ever here of a pre-dinner service meeting? Hire a front of the house manager, dump the old guy setting people, ware of money, waste of time, should have been Leary of a 40 % groupon for a French restaurant, food was passable.Special Features:
- OopsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My boyfriend and I went for a romantic dinner one night and the food was pretty good, but my fish was over cooked and it was a fairly hefty bill. Our thoughts/concerns were more influenced by the staff, and possibly owner. Our server was very nice and knowledgeable, but he had a problem with perspiration. The person who we decided must be the owner was the worst. He took a chair from our table, without the courtesy "Do you mind?", he then sat at the neighboring table. As he was saying goodbye to this other couple he was standing with his back / rear to our table.... he then let one rip. Thank god it didn't smell. But that was a really awkward moment for my boyfriend and I. I'm not sure we will be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Another excellent dinnerDowntownGirlVIPDined on 8/28/2014The overall quality of this neighborhood gem cannot be beat for the price. We had their sea bass/lobster special. It was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Don't Waste your TimeEat4LifeDined on 8/27/2014My mother came into town and I wanted to treat her to something nice. I have seen great reviews about this place and thought I should give it a try.. WRONG MOVE! I don't think their reviews are real people!! The place was empty! Our server was more interested in the busser's car than his two tables. It took us forever to get service and what we got was rude, rushed and impolite. I asked for recommendations, he replied "You have the try Chicken Coq Au Vin and the Beef Bourguignon." Both of his recommendations, including the Beef Short ribs were HORRIBLE!!! My Beef Bouriguinon was so dry and sour that it was worse than Dog food (or what I think dog food would taste like), the beef short ribs were so dry it should have been jerky
- Worth A TryLumberjackDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I have always wanted to try this restaurant, so we finally did for our anniversary. There were French poster photos along the walls giving it a nice touch of France. The noise level was great. You can actually have a conversation. I had the sea bass cooked in a lemon sauce, which had great flavor. I would have liked it to be a little less dry on the outer part of the fish, but overall it was a good dish. My husband ordered a simple steak and mashed potatoes and both were good. It was perfectly cooked. If you are looking for simple classic french dishes, this is the place for you. If you want more fusion or spectacular entree presentation, this may be boring for you. However, the chocolate bomb dessert is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had great time thereJanislDined on 8/23/2014First time visiting this restaurant and were pleased with the food and service. Waiting staff were very responsive with anything. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Loved the food, service not so muchSoCynCyrVIPDined on 8/22/2014We arrived and waited, and waited and waited. No Hostess. Bar keepers looked at us a couple times. A few waiters passed by the Hostess stand. Nothing. We also watched this happen to everyone after us. Finally a waiter, I think, came and sat us. Nice decor, very Europeon looking and clean. Great street location for people watching,, which was a good thing because took about 5 minutes for a waiter to come over. It appeared that we were interupting his day. Bascially a "what do you want" attitude. Definately not warm and definately did not want to be at work. The food was delicious, which is great because after he brought it he relatively disappeared. I basically waited 10 minutes after completing my meal to even ask for coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading AdvertisingGailMarieDined on 8/21/2014Most of the food we had wad very tasty, with exception of the swordfish, which was tough vs. melt I. Your mouth as fresh sword fish should be. The lobster "tail" was delicious BUT too small be called a lobster tail; ,more like a lobster morsel. Basically the food was about half the portion of their "picture" ad. We were still hungry and picked up a pizza on the way home. No, we are not big eaters and always have doggie bags to bring home. Too bad. It would be better to have a higher price and serve what is shown than to lure diners in and the. Not deliver what you show.
- Strange experienceGolfergalDined on 8/19/2014Besides the service being unbelievably slow, one of our foursome ordered the Salmon En Papillote, but when that arrived, there was no "paper". When the waiter was asked about it, he said they had taken the "paper" away in the kitchen. We had never seen that done and were quite surprised. The Caesar Salad was mediocre.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Nice, quiet, romantic place to dine. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. They have Sancerre on the wine list which I really appreciated. Wonderful spot. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Family Dinner at HexagoneJBSworldtravelorVIPDined on 8/15/2014Hexagone has become our favorite local spot for good food, good wine, great service and a friendly atmosphere. We are sending a niece off to college so had a family dinner there last weekend and all of it was superb. The lamb chops were especially good! Will definitely continue to call it "our place" in the future. And from the satisfied "ohs' and "ahs" from our family I think they will too.Special Features:
- Don't miss the experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Ir had took two guests to dinner and all of were highly pleased with the service and the fool I had lamb shanks; the best I've ever had.....Minor criticisms: salad greens were room temp., not cold; white beans in cassoulet were al dente. Should have been soft to the bitte. This is a French and not an Italian dish. Great value on the food; our wine was over-priced for the quality.Special Features:
- Great lunchCt17Dined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful lunch here before going to the Old GlobeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Variety, Attentive StaffDawnSanDiegoDined on 8/9/2014The only problem with the menu was that there were too many enticing options and we could only choose one. We had a large group and without exception, every appetizer, entrée and dessert were delectable. The prices were also very moderate for the amount and caliber of the food. We were impressed with the staff as we did not want for anything, but they didn't hover about. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The food service was great but we waited 15 minutes or more at the bar for our drinks....only 1 bartender and he was making mojitos for others and it took too long.....someone should have come to his aid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Cuisine Fantastique!travelbugatosuVIPDined on 8/7/2014Three of us celebrated a friend's birthday here with a wonderful lunch. The service was superb and the waiter even shared with us some smart phone apps that we could use for translations. We started our lunch with the soup of the day: cream of celery and apple. The brie, eggplant, and turkey sandwich was delicious! It was not crowded on a weekday and we had a leisurely meal; the atmosphere was conducive to conversation.Special Features:
- LunchableBigFanDined on 8/7/2014I've enjoyed happy hour and dinner here but this was my first lunch at Hexagone. The chicken was superb and my business partner loved her scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French imitationWhitemiceVIPDined on 8/5/2014Classic French in a very nice setting near Balboa Park. While the dishes are not perfect imitations of counterparts in other cities (think San Francisco/New York), this is quite a good experience. The wine list could use a little tweaking and some additions to the menu to expand the range of French cuisine would be appreciated. The specials tend to be rather uninspired. There is one disappointment: the bread and butter are not classic French and sometimes are not fresh.
- kathyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We have eaten here several times but last night was not as pleasant an experience as it has been. The food was OK and the wine too expensive. There was no air-conditioning. Location to Balboa Park and underground parking are what might make me return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hexagone is consistently excellentbscommentsVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food here gets better and better, and it has always been good. The staff accommodates the diner's requests with a smile, no matter how bizarre. Hexagone has remained one of our favorite restaurants since it first opened?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8-4-14LUV2EATPRIMERIBDined on 8/2/2014First time at Hexagone for dinner, with date. We had a great waiter, don't know name but he was from S.Africa. GREAT ACCENT. We enjoyed his v isit with us while he did his work. The food was excellent. Date had wine I had tea. Everything was great. Will return...GOOD 'Special Features:
- MarlynMarlynDined on 8/1/2014Nice menu with good food. Service was prompt and helpful. Added feature of free shuttle to Old Globe and back makes this a restaurant we will visit again!Special Features:
- Good meal, spotty serviceStanSDined on 7/31/2014We had a party of 8 and got seated immediately. The waiter was attentive but service from the bar was slow; it took about 15 minutes for a drink to arrive and we had to order glasses of wine twice before they came. The dinners were very good but 2 of the dinners arrived about 5 minutes after the other 6. They should all have come out together. The dinner was so slow that after 1 1/2 hours we had to leave for a show with no coffee or dessert. The shuttle ride to the Old Globe is a helpful touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favoritevipsDined on 7/31/2014We go there once a month , at least and the food is always great and so is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 7/30/2014Consistently wonderful and reasonable which is why we keep going backSpecial Features:
- Nothing to Write Home AboutMASSDined on 7/30/2014The food was fine as was the service but definitely nothing to seek out as a place to have dinner.
- HEXAGONE PLUSIntheHoodDined on 7/29/2014This San Diego French restaurant, the HEXAGONE, has more than just six good "raisons d'être". It has a good name too. France's design/map, is made of six sides, hence its name: Hexagone, in English, Hexagon. However, the good tastes of the fine dishes being served reflect more than six good varieties of the French cuisine. L'HEXAGONE an experience not to be missed. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HexBWMTDined on 7/27/2014Went there before going to Old Globe matinee my lamb chops were good they could have been warmer same with the crab cake, my GF loved her Swordfish though.Special Features: