495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 236-0467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Hexagone - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (63)romantic (59)fit for foodies (54)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (22)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Visit the farmFoodmanVIPDined on 11/24/2014I returned to Hexagon for one of the special menus. Very good. This is just a very special placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not ExcellentMattMtHelixVIPDined on 11/22/2014Hexagone has a wonderful ambience and excellent service. The food is alway good, always above average. But also always just a bit above average, never rising to excellent. I'm applying that to the entrees only. The salads and desserts are, indeed, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not horrible, not amazing.MyGirl1205Dined on 11/15/2014The food was good. It was not amazing. It was expensive for the quality. It seemed like more of a quiet dinner ambiance place for parties of 4 or less. But I can't say this would be a date night please for me.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner and service by Jerry head waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Five Stars plus.....Special occasion for my wife's birthday before theater at Old Globe. What at perfectly great evening at this romantic and wonderful restaurant. I highly recommend and will be back on next next visit downtown and or special event. Go.Go.Go for special event or just nice evening out. Thanks to the entire staff especially to Jerry our waiter you are treasure and asset to your profession. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulChipSDDined on 11/8/2014We had dinner here Saturday night with a couple of friends and everything was simply outstanding. It is a bit more expensive, but I do not mind paying more for outstanding food and service. This dish I ordered was not even on the menu and they did not hesitate to make it up special. You cannot go wrong with Hexagon.Special Features:
- vipsDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Hexagon many times this year and always happy, this time, not o much, the white wine was warm, the food not as good as it use to be and the service was not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally checked it outHeresTheScoopDined on 11/2/2014For years we'd walked past the side of the restaurant (usually on the way to Starbucks) and commented we ought to check it out. Finally, for our anniversary, we did. It was an enjoyable evening. The waiter was attentive, helpful and added to the experience. The food and beverage/wine selection was good. Our meal was delicious and the dessert was tasty. My wife described the ambiance and food preparation as an Americanized version of a French bistro. Overall the evening was quite pleasant and enjoyable. Hexagone is well worth giving a try. It has free, underground self parking, which was quite convenient for Bankers Hill dining. Easy parking, pleasant atmosphere, view of the city, good food, just add the good company and you've got an enjoyable evening. Give'm a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster SupremeSavannaIceDined on 11/2/2014We went for the Lobster Special and had a marvelous evening dining. Our waiter confirmed our wine selection was excellent and it was. Split the Caesar Salad, ate the Lobster and had the Crêpes Suzette for desert. Great Dining!!Special Features:
- You should be eating here!MWMIVIPDined on 10/28/2014What an amazing meal! This restaurant should be jammed with people - they'd be having a wonderful meal with noteworthy service. Sadly, there were only about a dozen diners during our meal. Give Hexagone a try; you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Dinner TheaterSmoothFogieDined on 10/26/2014Perfect for combining w/ Old Globe evening show- close, parking was easy, shuttle to theater was perfect.Special Features:
- Lovely French RestaurantCapindaVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is one of my favorite places for dinner before going to the theater. The food is excellent, the service is good (albeit a little slow on the front end the last time I went), and the ambiance is lovely. With carpeting, drapes, and white tablecloths, it's a very attractive restaurant, and the noise level is quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HexagoneJANEVIPDined on 10/25/2014Hexagone is a perfect pre-theatre dining spot. Excellent French theme menu. Particularly appreciate the shuttle service to the Old Globe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre cheeses and house wine.CooksholidayDined on 10/24/2014Loud & unpleasant patrons--older guys on the prowl; kind bartender. (Most of the tables were empty.) Do have a lawyer review any coupons for fine print as, despite being a professional language person, I was trapped with no recourse and theater tickets waiting. Unpleasant experience all around.
- Gourmet DiningJWP99VIPDined on 10/23/2014A repeat visit to confirm an earlier experience. Shall add more characters to meet the additional wordage. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & a French waiterDawnSanDiegoVIPDined on 10/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the Duck in Orange sauce and the Sea Bass, but not before we had the Field Green salad. The Chocolate Bomb for dessert melts in your mouth. Warm & attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, quiet placeSusanVIPDined on 10/21/2014only problem was that they seemed a bit disorganized. We had to wait nearly 10 min although they were not at all busy, and despite my twice saying that we had a reservation, did not check us in, so Open Table listed us as a no-show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change and not for the better.Terriwith2arfsVIPDined on 10/21/2014We've eaten here many, many times and have had good, reliable service, well prepared meals and nice ambience. This time was really different. Firstly, our "Open Table" reservation was not processed when we arrived at the restaurant, so there was a question as to why we didn't show for the dinner. We got that straightened out, but it was a hassle. The service was slow (but they may have been short a waiter - it looked like it) and the food was just OK. The Grapefruit Scallops were tough, overdone & rubbery. The sauce was good, but the peppers didn't blend with the lighter taste of the dish. The salad was good - nothing special but the meal was certainly nothing to go back for. I'd just skip this place for awhile.
- Upscale mature return dinersopenTDined on 10/18/2014A very nice evening even though the restaurant was somewhat loud-no music, but full tables with parties trying to talk having to raise their voice beyond normal levels . The food was memorable with eclectic gourmet selections. Yes, we will return, but probably request a quieter part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentBreezeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have never had anything at Hexagone that wasn't excellent—food, service, wine… The wait staff is always so pleasant. We particularly like sitting in Johann's station. He is a beautiful French man--always kind and gives honest recommendations. My favorite dish is the Mediterranean Sea Bass. The mussels appetizer is also great!Special Features:
- A disappointment!DisappointedDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter started by greeting us, setting down our menus on the table and leaving-not very welcoming! He rushed us to order drinks or wine when we weren't ready. While waiting for our food, chatting he thought he was being amusing by telling me to get my elbows off the table, "just being cheeky," he said. The food arrived in a timely manner. The cream of mushroom was tasty! The sea bass special was OK, not great. In the past, we have had good meals here. We waited awhile before we could get our waiter's attention to order dessert.The crust of the Apple tartin was excellent! Later that evening we all had indigestion! The noise level was so intense we could hardly hear ourselves converse during the meal. I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Not up to usual standardDawnSanDiegoVIPDined on 10/16/2014Although the food was generally very good ( the Lobster Bisque had no evidence of lobster in it) our waiter was inattentive and rude. We waited a long time to give our order, the waiter was dismissive with our questions, didn't refill our water until he was clearing our dinner plates, and dropped the dessert menus in front of us without a word. We weren't told that it was a special night (with singer) when we made reservations, so we could not use our Living Social voucher. All around not what I expect from HexagonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNABLE TO USE VOUCHERJWP99VIPDined on 10/16/2014The day was considered a SPECIAL EVENT and the voucher would not be honored.Special Features:
- Excellent SwordfishSouthofTalbotVIPDined on 10/12/2014The swordfish was probably the most tender I've ever had. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent dishes, nice ambianceDmkrDined on 10/11/2014Beautifully presented dishes, all well prepared. Save room for desserts.dmkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGggDined on 10/9/2014Food is consistently reliable. Very convenient for theater nights. Like the decor & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, Decent, and AwfulianjfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Romantic setting; lovely and quiet. Food was good, but not spectacular, a little pricey for the portion size. The service was awful. Very indifferent staff, waiter Yohann would disappear for long intervals for no apparent reason. I don't feel I should have to coach and instruct a waiter through the whole bloody meal. Didn't seem to have a clue. Waste of a tip. Would also suggest a little variety on the veg selection. We ordered two different starters that came with the same ratatouille accompanying them both. When our entrees came...you guessed it, the same veg was served with the entrees. For over 100.00 with no wine, how about a little creativity and variety.Special Features:
- Used to be BetterKAC31VIPDined on 10/7/2014We had been going there for years, but the last time we went about a year ago it just wasn't the same. So, I decided to give it one more try the other night, thinking they had just had a bad night previously, sadly that wasn't the case. I think it was even more dissappointing this go round. Nothing tasted fresh and we had no desire to finish our plates. So sad because it used to be awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We enjoy everything about Hexagone starting with the professional owner and his expertise in providing outstanding culinary menusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best traditional French food in SDSD2foodiesDined on 10/3/2014We were there for dinner. We ordered clams in wine sauce, Coq au Vin & NY steak with blue cheese. The wine selection is good. The food was done in the home styled French manner. The dessert list is interesting. We ordered the souffle. It was hot & yummy. The wait staffs were wonderful. It was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SpecialsFriendsVIPDined on 10/2/2014Sign up for Hexagones email - you will learn about great deals. Like the Steak and Lobster special. Presentation was spectacular - taste equaled the presentationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealTropicaleVIPDined on 10/1/2014We decided to try it during San Diego Restaurant Week. Just like others have mentioned upon arrival there was no host in the reception area and we stood there akwardly for a few minutes before a passing waiter acknowledged us. Once we were seated the service was great and the food was exceptional. The scallop appetizer was wonderful and my rack of lamb was perfectly prepared. We were very pleased with everything and very happy to learn that they have a shuttle service to The Old Globe Theatre so if you go there for a pre-theatre dinner you can leave your car parked in their free parking lot and they will drive you to the theatre and pick you up afterwards. BTW Valet parking at Globe is now $12 so you save right there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time !TasmanVIPDined on 10/1/2014Really like the place, the menu and the service, we always have a great time when we have been here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014From bartender to server, we never felt served but as a disruption to their self-absorbed realities. For such a high-end restaurant with good food and ambiance, good service would make the dining experience great and seem like a good value.
- WonderfulKatrwVIPDined on 9/27/2014After reading reviews, we were hesitant. But, it was restaurant week, so we decided to try it. It was wonderful! Lobster soup was good and creamy. The scallops were perfect. The rack of lamb was the best. And, the duck- wonderful. The chocolate dessert was yummy. Our server was friendly and attentive. We had a wonderful time! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love FrenchMadfoodieDined on 9/27/2014food and wine then this is a great place. I had the short ribs and they were delicious. Reasonably priced for adequate portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!katy101VIPDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoy going to Hexagone, this is our 4th visit. The Chef really puts out a good product. This visit we had Seabass and it was perfectly cooked and a nice size portion. Will come back again. My only negative this visit was the server...it is restaurant week and we couldn't order off the regular menu, no big deal, but the server could not get us out FAST enough. There were still tables available so it wasn't like we were holding up a table. If it happens next visit I will be mentioning it. When you have a reservation you should be able to dine at your own pace, not a 35 minute race!
- Excellent Food & ServiceSDKitchenistaDined on 9/25/2014We recently dined at Hexagone during SD Restaurant Week. We wanted something a little formal with a nice ambiance. We were not disappointed! I had been to Happy Hour at Hexagone before, but never dinner. We loved the Veal Sweetbreads, the garlic-wine sauce was amazing! The Lobster Bisque & Salad with Fried Goat Cheese were also good. The entrees we selected were: Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Sauce - delish. Filet Mignon with Au Gratin Potatoes & Veggie Purse - excellent. And Swordfish in a Vermouth Sauce - also delicious. We shared all three desserts; which were all divine. The 2 bottles of Sancerre made us happy, but best of all was the attentive service. Jerry was the perfect balance of funny & professional. We will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFun4foodieDined on 9/24/2014The service was wonderful. The food delicious. Very clean they were very accommodating for food allergies. Very flexible. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableDinerDined on 9/24/2014Three of us dined there recently. The experience was very enjoyable and the food was excellent. Great service, great food, and local makes for a return visit in my bookSpecial Features:
- Not So Impressed....DineAllTheTimeDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is super cute and almost quaint, being that its so cozy. We arrived early and were sat right away. There were not many people in the place. Our server was odd and didn't like to make eye contact or really talk to us at all, now that I think about it. He wasn't rude, just not great. I ordered the scallop appetizer, and the beets were forgotten. My friend ordered the lobster soup, and they were all out. Weird, its not even 630pm, and you don't have lobster soup? The scallops were divine though. The wine list was pretty good and so was my filet. Cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. All in all, it's not that it was bad, it just wasn't great. For my own meal being $100, I just expected a bit more. But I'll try anything once!Special Features: