1843 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hershspizza.com/
- Phone: 4434384948x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
On Fridays and Saturdays, reservations are accepted for our upstairs dining room. Bar area is walk-in only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: In our second-story dining room, with it's beautiful murals on exposed brick, we have the flexibility to host up to 65 guests for anything from holiday parties to business events to rehearsal dinners. The downstairs bar, with its vintage vibe and great music, accommodates up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie Hershkovitz 4434384948x
A word from Hersh's
Hersh's celebrates the foods of Italy and the craft of the American bartender. Our menu of fresh, ingredient-driven dishes includes rustic Italian small plates and award-winning housemade pasta, as well as Neapolitan pizza featuring housemade mozzarella and sausage. Our booze program focuses on vintage cocktails, craft brews and spirits and a tightly-edited wine list offering varietals you won't see every day. Come hungry, come thirsty and come often!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Hersh's - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
Hersh's reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (49)great for outdoor dining (39)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (13)good for groups (13)romantic (13)special occasion (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (4)Show More
- WowPJD7Dined on 8/25/2014I had heard good things about Hersh's from friends and was not disappointed. Great tasting, innovative appetizers, pizzas and entrees. Wait staff was attentive and friendly. Great vibe. Only complaint is that parking can be a challenge.Special Features:
- chrisVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our server was fabulous. First time sitting outside here and really enjoyed it until the sun came out. Food excellant as always!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingYesILoveFoodDined on 8/23/2014Awesome food, so fresh and delicious...great cocktails and outstanding service...the only issue .. Parking..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsSophia621VIPDined on 8/21/2014Whether I'm having a full-on dinner (always with at least one pasta and one pizza involved!), or just a quick bite of the small plated and a glass of wine, Hersh's is always great. They keep the small plates menu fresh and seasonal, and the meatballs are some of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Night OutFlicksVIPDined on 8/17/2014We have been to Hersh's a fews times and always have had great experiences. Sunday night was no exception. We took friends who had never been there and had a wonderful evening. The server recommended wine & entrees, all of which were excellent. We will definitely be returning to Hersh's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014There is no way I would recommend your restaurant as the parking is deplorable, the menu is not what is listed on the website. There are many more things that could be on the menu that were not there. The pizza was pathetic--the crust was not done but was burnt. It was very limp when you picked it up. I had to use a knife and fork to eat it. The food is overpriced and over rated. I would not go there again, and definitely not recommend it to any one--not even an enemy. Not a very good experience on the part of the owners at all.
- Yum!Georgey306Dined on 8/7/2014Tasty and interesting pizzas. Wait staff was super friendly and helpful as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing again!SZ1215Dined on 7/27/2014We have been to Hersh's several times, but on this visit we brought friends who had never been. We loved our dinner as usual and our friends were sold on it too! The menu items are always inventive and seasonal. If you go to Hersh's and don't try the Fumo e Fuoco wood fired pizza (adding the lamb sausage of course) you are missing out on life! It is our favorite menu item - so good, smoky, cheesy, yum! Our server was so nice and helpful, and very knowledgable about the menu. Thanks Hersh's, we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014This was a great find, and the food was excellent. The service was fairly good, and my only complaint was the air conditioning was too cold. If they could adjust the temperature, this would be a favourite hang out.Special Features:
- Great foodFedhillliv2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014As always we had a special meal. Burrata appetizer and pizza were both super but the grilled shrimp and polenta was outstanding!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Great place. Great food and NO TV--yay!! Dining outside was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gemaDined on 7/2/2014Great pizza as expected but all food is excellent and inventive.Special Features:
- Great time at Hersch'sSteveVIPDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I loved the food. The wines are carefully selected and affordable. Service was exceptional. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Really enjoyed our dinner on Father's Day! Great char on the pizza!! Wonderful mushroom/pesto appetizer! Attentive, friendly service. Will definitely return for pizza. Similar to Birrotecca, though food is better, esp. pizza.Special Features:
- What's not to like?cherieireneVIPDined on 6/15/2014LOVE this place. Food is crazy good and very inventive. I always order too much, think I'll take home and never have any left. The pizzas are the best...real classy, fun fresh ingredient pizza. Love the staff. They are always so welcoming and friendly and very knowledgeable about their offerings. Cocktails are top notch and they have great beer choices. Since parking can be tough love that they teamed with Uber to pay your fare one way. Very smart move.Special Features:
- Best Pizza in BaltimoremswenderVIPDined on 6/14/2014Hersh's has the best, most authentic Neapolitan Pizza in Baltimore. the crust is the perfect combination of chewiness and crispiness. The small plates are not be missed. The cocktails are divine. I never regret going here, but I do regret no going here!Special Features:
- Love Hersh's!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Consistently amazing food, atmosphere and service. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth finding!NewInTownVIPDined on 6/7/2014Located at the end of Light Street in Federal Hill, this updated pizza pub has amazing food and great service in a friendly, hip atmosphere. Creative pizzas and salads put a new twist on our old favorites. Parking was a bit of a hassle, but in this walkable neighborhood, one that was easily overcome. Definitely worth the effort to find this eatery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014Some of the best pizza in Baltimore, nice outdoor seating and lots of other delicious things to eat besides pizza- our table got blackfish cerviche, mussels, asparagus and the proscuitto balls - as well as 3 different pizzas. Great wines by the glass too! Loved it all!Special Features:
- Neighborhood DiamondColinVIPDined on 5/23/2014Hersh's doesn't disappoint. It never got too busy, but the ambiance was still pleasant. Happy hour gave us some nice drink specials and our server was informative. We had two crostinis for appetizer: one with avocado and one proscuttio. The proscuttio was excellent, moist, and buttery. The avocado was fresh, too. For mains, the mussells were excellent and busting with peppery flavor. My lasagna was so good I finished it all, even though I was full. It was super firm and the lamb was cooked to perfection. Walking distance from our front door, we could not ask for more.Special Features:
- Creative pizzaNuriderDined on 5/16/2014I'll keep it short - I heard several rave reviews of this spot and I think their creative approach to the menu deserves recognition. But I guess I'm more of a traditionalist where pizza is concerned. Give me good thin crust, plenty of tomato sauce and an array of fresh herbs/veggies and I could not be happier. Hersh's is aiming for a different experience. We ordered the shi'a take frittis as an appetizer. And it was just "okay". My friend had a pizza with lamb, I went with the pork picante. Crust on both was a bit smokies than We needed. Ingredients on both we're interesting but, not something I would order again. Wine is not cheap with bottles starting at $37.00. Bottom line - just didn't appeal to us.Special Features:
- great food, reasonable priceslisaSVIPDined on 5/11/2014I love this place, it's near my home and we eat there frequently. There's always something new on the menu, and they have excellent cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayeattoliveDined on 5/11/2014Based on reviews I read about the food I thought this would be a great experience. It was easy to get to, parking was not a problem and the service was great. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodgemaDined on 5/11/2014Food was very good ...salads, lamb chops, vegetables and fish were all done very well and with excellent flavoring. The pizza is outstanding as well. A very good restaurant and we will return.Special Features:
- MOTHER'S DAY BRUNCHHarryDined on 5/11/2014We have been to this local gem and again we were not disappointed. The brunch was fantastic and in particular the twice fried chicken was very much enjoyed by those who ordered it. We celebrated Mother's Day for two mothers one of whom was visiting from Boston. She thought the food was outstanding and the service was so very nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if you can get thereCockeysvillecooksDined on 5/10/2014Hersh's is consistently tasty and interesting, but oh the parking. No parking! Leave early for the restaurant and prepare to drive around endlessly looking for a spot. Its location in a gritty but intriguing neighborhood is the problem. Densely populated, no parking garages or metered areas that would keep the cars moving. The restaurant's solution can work if you live in the city but doesn't help us boring old folks from the burbs.Special Features:
- treatsnsnoozinVIPDined on 5/10/2014we've come here several times - for dinner, pizza, and also just drinks. every experience has been wonderful. friendly, attentive service, and an atmosphere that is comfortably fun. on this most recent visit the 3 of us had different entrees - the seared blackfish, the mussels and the fettuccine with clams - all were fantastic. this place is a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- DEliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014We had the avocado bruschetta type of appetizer and the pancetta balls (5 stars for both), and the kale salad (4.5 stars). We finished up with a spicy pork pizza which was delicious but not as good as the earlier stuff. The chocolate dessert was a bit too salty but the drinks were great. Definitely would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers..AydemilDined on 5/7/2014Our first time at Hersh's. It certainly looked had a makeover from the Rubbed days. Modern in gray tones but softened with lighting...we had the Il Regal pizza which was done to perfection...a crostini with fig jam and prosciutto that I could have eaten all night, nice blending of sweet and salty and creamy. Finally we indulged and shared a chocolate custard with ground pistachios on top...just decadent...rich and crisp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 201 reviews are from the Hersh's reviews archive.
- really goodNMonsterVIPDined on 5/4/2014one of the best restaurants I've tried in a long time. For the price, the appetizers are a little bit small, but overall, the food is excellent and the people are very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Yummy and NoisyJTD443VIPDined on 4/23/2014The food is so delicious and Wednesday is half-price for a bottle of wine night. It was crowded and that combined with all the hard surfaces makes for a noisy experience. By the end of our dinner, we were almost yelling across the table to hear one another, but everything else was so great that we didn't mind too much.Special Features:
- Authentic, deliciousprimpysheepDined on 4/18/2014Very noisy, but a great neighborhood find. Pizza was very very good -- ranks up there with Iggie's and Verde for best neapolitan-style in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Hit The SpotbuongustaioDined on 4/18/2014I keep wanting to try the pasta but I'm not able to avoid ordering the pizza yet. It is astonishingly good! My wife and sister and I loved everything we ordered. Service was excellent. The only issue for me was the noise level on the ground floor on a Friday evening...I recommend some discreet decorating methods aimed at reducing what my ear calls a constant din. But I'm old and others might not experience this. I've already recommended this place to all my friends.Special Features:
- AwesomefoxyDined on 4/12/2014We just love everything about this place! I recommend trying it if y haven't been there et. My favorite is pizza with eggplant and home made lamb sausage as well as mushroom pizza..it is beyond delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific pizza!CityloverVIPDined on 4/5/2014Hersh's has such a creative menu--and their pizzas are superb. We love the fact that patrons are not subjected to large TV screens! (When we want to keep up with sports, there is no shortage of places in Federal Hill to do so. We go to Hersh's for the food, the service, and the ambience!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, decent servicekkay459Dined on 4/5/2014The restaurant is small and charming, with a good attempt at ambiance for it's relatively residential location. The food is delicious, but the menu is small. Highly recommend the artichoke appetizer. It was a bit loud, but we brought our six year old, so we were willing to put up with the chatter and noise of the other diners. My only complaint was that the service was a bit slow, but I'm used to New York time, so that may have been on my. Excellent overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love This RestaurantSallyAnnVIPDined on 4/5/2014There's something about being at Hersh's that is fun! The pizza is delicious with interesting toppings and the appetizers are also different and very good. It is one of our go-to places.Special Features:
- Always deliciousWeathergirl21230VIPDined on 4/4/2014Food is always good, drinks unique. The beet and frisée salad was unbelievable. I almost went back the next day to eat it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE this restaurantsmallc1Dined on 3/30/2014The food at Hersh's is not like any Italian restaurant I've been to in Baltimore. The appetizers change seasonally and the addition of the stuffed artichoke from the wood oven is a plus. They are beautifully trimmed with just a touch of stuffing. It was fried chicken Sunday and what a treat. The chicken was crispy and lightly coated in a spicy calabrian chili sauce. Delicious!! The pizza is really the best in town. My favorite is the fungi, mixed mushrooms with sherry. Add housemade sausage and it's delightful. Desserts are also inventive. We shared the cherry and kumquat bread pudding. Not too sweet and a wonderful combination. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- winendineDined on 3/30/2014Had several small plates and a pasta entree, as well. Great place opened up in the former Rub spot in South Baltimore. Went during the soft opening to try as many things as we could. They do Neopolitan-style pizzas; great puffy, chewy, salted crust (I hear it's supposed to be crisp, but that night it was on the chewy side). Clam Pizza rocks! Service was earnest and friendly, but a little unaware (ate apps with no plates, and one diner was missing silverware for a little while). Cocktails are a must-have (if you enjoy an inventive cocktail). The place has a rustic intimate feel to it, while still appealing to your modern, cutting-edge senses. This is the kind of gem you want to get cred for being the first one to tell all your friends about.Special Features: