7837 Herschel Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.herringboneeats.com/
- Phone: 8584590221
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm -11:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2pm
Weekend Brunch (Sat-Sun): 10am-2:30pm
Oyster Hour: Daily 4pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Amanda Baumgarten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater! Chef Brian Malarkey has teamed up with Chef Antonio Friscia to form Campine, a full service event catering company that can bring the Herringbone experience to you: www.campinecatering.com
- Special Events: Please contact Mikki Alvarez, Mikki@stingsandiego.com to inquire about special events.
A word from Herringbone
Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, Herringbone offers “Fish Meats Field” cuisine by Top Chef Alumni Brian Malarkey!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Herringbone reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (66)hot spot (58)special occasion (55)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (51)romantic (49)great for lunch (31)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (22)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- have been there beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014and the last time the service was much better and it was much busier. Hopefully the bad service isn't turning people away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- herringbonemoodymomVIPDined on 9/13/2014what a delightful surprise! delicious food! love the trees in the middle of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Personalized ServiceDennisDined on 9/11/2014Having theater tickets, we arrived before most diners. We got to see the colorful crowd enjoying the live music in the front, and we enjoyed it, too. Our waiter, also a bartender there on some nights, not having other tables to work, became our friend, driving the discussion to the specialty cocktails and the different dishes. We arrived thinking we knew what we would order, but the waiter led us in a different direction. With each plate, we became more willing to seek even more direction from him. He was as superb as the food. The place is about invention, while still offering some traditional fare. Parking was easy next to the restaurant, an important consideration in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Okay ServiceWineguyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Dined with them last Friday as a group of 4 people. We all thought the food was excellent but the service was a bit off. Ordered oysters that arrived without forks, horseradish, or tabasco. They did serve it with 2 condiments but never told us what they were. After requesting forks from four different people, we finally got them. This restaurant would be better if the service staff worked together to deal with customer needs rather than just say "I'll find your server".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but unpleasent serviceHBlocalVIPDined on 9/5/2014Made reservation several days in advance. The hostes gave us a table by the kitchen door next to the waiters station. When we aske to be moved to one of the three available tables but she replied that they were reserved ( i guess we should have used the othe reservation system). Our waiter did not care much about our table so we kept asking for things the other waiters. It took our waiter forever to bring the second beer and when he finally brought it he stopped to speak to his manager next to my table and only later put it in front of me. I dont think he even understood that it was rood. The food was very good.Special Features:
- LunchKEM92103VIPDined on 9/1/2014Visited for a weekend late lunch - almost empty, so quiet and relaxed. Nice setting with indoor trees, airy and good service. Very mediocre cesaer salad - the dressing had no taste and the lettuce contained chunks of romaine core.Special Features:
- Eclectic HerringboneRLVegasDined on 8/30/2014Service supreme with Kerry however rushed off her feet as she juggled 10 tables at once! She knows the eclectic menu inside out. Tip-top meal from start to finish. Halibut was slices of featherweight heaven. Tuna was perfection! Experiment and play with the unique and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchBettyjaneDined on 8/24/2014Had a great birthday brunch yesterday! Food, atmosphere and service was great! My two friends enjoyed their first visit and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great ambience, brilliant food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The entire Herringbone experience was outstanding! The whole fish was beautifully prepared and superbly served. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great dinnerSDdinerDined on 8/23/2014Wait staff were amazing and they really knew their menu. Halibut was fabulous and my wife loved the perfectly cooked scallops. Would go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectLaCipperDined on 8/22/2014Gorgeous atmosphere and very excellent service. Food is delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good turned into greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014We ordered Halibut and it was a bit dry, tried the center of the fish and it was still dry. We made a hesitant comment about it being dry and right away the server offered a new plate. It was not expected, but we are very grateful because I had the best cooked salmon I have ever had. Herringbone is a great place and has a great chef! Thank you!Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodie70Dined on 8/19/2014although the restaurant was beautiful we were extremely disappointed in the way the food was prepared. our whole fish was bland and our other fish was overlooked. We ended up leaving very disappointed. Appetizers were fine and desserts were ok.Special Features:
- Always Great For LunchcoffeeDined on 8/17/2014Herringbone is always a great choice for lunch. I have not been for dinner but you cant beat the food and atmosphere for a nice weekend lunch or get together.Special Features:
- Excellent foodAllicatDined on 8/15/2014Unusual setting but quite noisy, particularly from several large groups. Good menu and excellent food. Service was okay but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RLVegasDined on 8/11/2014Kelly was the best waitress you could ask for- steering us correctly to the best dishes on the menu, other customer favorites and rightfully telling us what to avoid when asked for a specific yes/no recommendation. She well deserved the generous tip. Herringbone and its sister restaurants are now part of the Hakkasan empire from Las Vegas so hopefully any planned expansion doesn't compromise its individual appeal and attraction. A delicious dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular ambianceAmyBDined on 8/10/2014Our food was so richly prepared neither myself nor my husband could finish it. Short ribs dont need so much sauce... The flavor gets covered up. We both liked the smojnt of vegetables that come with entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the areaReluctantPosterVIPDined on 8/8/2014Outside of the recent addition of Bijou, I didn't feel like La Jolla had been adding too many new, trendy restaurants for a night on the town. Herringbone has filled that void for a little while and is still a good spot to go. Food is good, not amazing, but you can go the multiple shared plates route or the standard app/salad and an entree route. I feel like the shared plates route can get too pricey for the amount of food needed to satisfy versus the standard route, so know that if you go exploring on the menu.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014From beginning to end. Great recommendations. Food and service was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalTickenofftwinDined on 8/7/2014Recommended by a friend and what an incredible dining experience, Brian the manager was very attentive and informative. The food was exceptional and we had an outstanding experience. Our birthday weeks started off with a very memorable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014Loved my lunch at Herringbone ... can't wait to go back!!!!!!Special Features:
- Surprising Find!IrisDined on 8/3/2014Charming ambiance with real olive trees growing inside, giving the feel of being outdoors. Excellent service and food. Try the sticky bun, it's a life changer! Spicy bloody mary's and bottomless mimosas, with real orange juice, for brunch, as well as live music. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy & TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We had a fantastic evening at Herringbone. Food, service and ambiance all fantastic. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great place for lunchAMB1VIPDined on 8/1/2014Our lunch was so delicious! The restaurant is built around beautiful trees, which made the ambiance cozy and pleasant.Special Features:
- Unusual and charming venueOpentable23VIPDined on 7/28/2014Built around very old trees, the atmosphere in the restaurant is unlike anything else around. The food is very good. Salads are excellent, the fish tacos are more like a small plate, but very tasty. Very very active on the weekend sometimes with live music in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Herringbone for lunchljdinerDined on 7/23/2014I love Herringbone. It's a favorite place to take friends for lunch or dinner. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Ceaser SaladbruddahIZDined on 7/21/2014Love the decor - the food was amazing - my yellow tail reminded me of a luau dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a very good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Atmosphere is fantastic! Service and food wasn't what I was hoping for. The manager tried to make the experience better for us but for some reason it just kept getting worse. Sad to say I won't go back.Special Features:
- Not our first time....Av13Dined on 7/19/2014This place is incredible. Creative food and creative drinks. The pork chop is a gem of a piece of meat and the halibut was perfectly prepared for both people. Excellent cocktails as well. We love Herringbone and will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Favorite SD-Area Restaurant!PDXFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Great service, amazing food, and Delicious drinks! Can't ask for much more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014service and food always top notch, fresh ingredientsSpecial Features:
- First Timersright4twoDined on 7/13/2014We won a gift certificate so we decided to go for lunch. We tried several food items and all were great, things we don't usually eat and it was GOOD!! Also love the atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Fantastic dinnerNancyVIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I had the most delicious dinner at Herringbone. The shrimp toast was an incredibly tasty experience as was our scallop dinner. We liked the little bowl of olives and almonds instead of the typical basket of bread that most restaurants serve. Service was impeccable and the servers incredibly polite. The atmosphere is relaxing giving the sense of being outdoors even though you are indoors because of the gorgeous olive trees inside the restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014Very deserving of its fine reputation in food, ambience and service.Special Features:
- Great Spot!!GreatVIPDined on 7/7/2014The whole fish was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Chef nailed it! Great time!Special Features:
- Fair, at bestQCommVIPDined on 7/5/2014They finally replaced the napkins ! It only took two years to recognize that patrons don't want to leave a restaurant covered in lint. The tables remain filthy, they are covered in grime. We bring out own disinfectant wipes to clean them, but as they are unfinished wood, the task has become too difficult. It has become a mediocre tourist trap...
- sampDined on 6/30/2014service was poor; food was so-so; restaurant has very nice ambiance but three-fourths empty; needs to improve
- mainguyenVIPDined on 6/30/2014The waitress wasn't as friendly when we were first seated, but warmed up a little as the night went on. It took a couple of requests before getting lemons on the table for the water. The decor is remarkable. The vegetables were a little over seasoned but unique. The dollar oyster special made to trip worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, as alwayscjm1VIPDined on 6/29/2014I really enjoy brunch here (only meal I've tried.) Its so wonderful to enjoy the less-crowded LJ ambience on a Sunday morning AND free street parking. The service at this restaurant is always exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!LaJollafoodieDined on 6/27/2014Herringbone serve the best ceviches in San Diego. Love the trees and the rustic ambience of the restaurant. Our server recommended wine which went really well with the food. He made our dining experience that much better with his exemplary service. One of the best place to have good food and chill with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.