7837 Herschel Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.herringboneeats.com/
- Phone: 8584590221x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm -11:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2pm
Weekend Brunch (Sat-Sun): 10am-2:30pm
Oyster Hour: Daily 4pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Amanda Baumgarten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater! Chef Brian Malarkey has teamed up with Chef Antonio Friscia to form Campine, a full service event catering company that can bring the Herringbone experience to you: www.campinecatering.com
- Special Events: Please contact Mikki Alvarez, Mikki@stingsandiego.com to inquire about special events.
A word from Herringbone
Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, Herringbone offers “Fish Meats Field” cuisine by Top Chef Alumni Brian Malarkey!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Herringbone reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (76)hot spot (66)good for groups (54)vibrant bar scene (52)special occasion (52)romantic (50)great for lunch (44)great for brunch (35)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (9)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- A Must Try In La JollaTadErickVIPDined on 10/15/2014Wow! What a terrific experience it was dining at Herringbone! We were greeted by a team of friendly, courteous, and professionals who welcomed us and immediately made us feel welcome. We enjoyed one of their specialty cocktails and it was amazing. Corey, our server, did a tremendous job. He knew the menu exceptionally well and helped us choose from the many intriguing dishes offered. He was timely, professional, and fun throughout the evening. Brian, the manager, is, as we had been told, a friendly and attentive man who makes sure that all of the restaurants guests are enjoying themselves. He stopped and talked with us a few times to make sure everything was good. I will be looking forward to going back again soon!!!!Special Features:
- Just loved HerringboneQuizieDined on 10/12/2014Our friend told us about Herringbone and said she highly recommended this resturant. We were taking a family member out for her birthday and wanted some place special. . . and it was fabulous!!! Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:
- A bit disappointedNancyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our food was good but not as delicious as we remembered it from our past experiences there. We could hardly hear the waiter as there was music that was blasting. I don't remember that being an issue before either.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome servicecjm1VIPDined on 10/10/2014always nice to have lunch here; the food is really good and the ambiance is amazingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Really beautiful ambience and great design! The food was amazing. The waiter was super knowledgable about recommendations, types of meat/fish, and very helpful with the wine list. We celebrated a birthday and they brought out a beautiful dessert. Made the night very special!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodlhksdDined on 9/27/2014This is a great, high class restaurant with food that will not disappoint. It can be very busy on weekends, so make reservations. Even with reservations, expect to be seated late. The waitress that helped us in the bar area started off on a bad foot. She clearly didn't care about helping us as we were just waiting for our table to be ready. However, the waitress that helped us the rest of the evening was great and very attentive. Drinks are good, but not amazing. The entrees and sides were wonderful. I've been for brunch/lunch before and was not thrilled. Dinner was great though!Special Features:
- Excellent dinner, too noisy!33birthdayDined on 9/26/2014My only criticism was the very high noise level. a conversation was practically impossible. My group did not resort to texting, it is not our thing! I can undestand that it might have been useful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my friend here for her b-daycollegeeatsDined on 9/26/2014Wanted to go somewhere good for my girl friend's birthday, so I found Herringbone online and was really fascinated by their decor. The olive trees growing right in the restaurant really caught my eye, so we decided to go. Everything was delicious! The oysters were fantastic in particular, and it was brilliant that they bring out olives in lieu of the usual bread before dinner. Overall definitely a fantastic experience! My friend was very impressed with the food and atmosphere. It's a little pricey for regular dining, but for special occasions it's excellent. Thanks for helping me give my friend a fantastic birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot - food just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The atmosphere and decor - outstanding. The food was just okay. Not bad but not great, however also taking into consideration that it was restaurant week so I'm sure the kitchen was extremely busy.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious and memorableHippocratesDined on 9/23/2014Our waiter, Rune, gave us great advice, and the wine pairings brought out the complex flavors of our appetizers and entrees. The atmosphere is very energetic and not conducive to intimate conversation; however, if you're in the mood for great food and a lively vibe, you'll enjoy dining at Herringbone.Special Features:
- Didn't Like the Food At AllyuckDined on 9/23/2014Shame. It was so highly recommended. We went there for Restaurant Week. They did not offer their happy hour or any other menu items. I had the scallops. They were gritty. The appetizer was the octopus and it was also slightly gritty. Very odd. The opening item was the oysters - also gritty. The scallops had a nice flavor but hard to get away from the fact that they hadn't been cleaned properly.
- Disappointing RW LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Decor was inspired; however the food was not. It was a terrible introduction for Restaurant Week: the Two Handed Burger on the rare side of what was ordered, the both sides of chips seemed as if they were held under the warmer (and few things are worse than warm fried foods), the Albacore Burger was an terrible ground meat version of what looked like a great meal (and had a stray piece of plastic in it to boot). A four top of guys came in much after us and received their meals way ahead of us. Our waiter got sidetracked by a table of 10 ladies beside us and we were left being served by the Hostess/Manager. (As a side note, we ate at Kitchen 1540 for RW and it was INCREDIBLE and MEMORABLE.)Special Features:
- Everything was great except chairVS858Dined on 9/22/2014Everything was great except when we got up to leave I noticed there was a sticky stain on the back on my skirt, apparently there were syrup/frosting on the chair cushion from the previous guess. The cushions were dark prints so there was no way to see it before sitting down.Special Features:
- Beautiful scenery, amazing food!TrishaM0305Dined on 9/22/2014Staff was super friendly! Indoor trees looked beautiful (can't wait to go there at night, with all the lighting!) and it was fresh/airy. The 3-course meal during restaurant week was just....wow!!! My friend and I both had the red curry butternut squash soup (had just the right amount of spice) then we had the lobster roll and albacore burger (halved both). They didn't go cheap on the lobster meat. One of the best I e tasted besides Bite of Boston. Hazelnut Bar wS good too. It was the kind of place where u can sit and talk for a while. We had a blast and I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone!!Tring❤️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what was expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014My girlfriend and I reserved in connection with the Restaurant Week promotion, in an effort to get a taste of several of what Herringbone has to offer. We were both anxious to try the restaurant as we had passed by it several times in the past on our way to other obligations. Anyway, we were surprised to be told that the Rest Week lunch menu was not going to be available until the first Monday of Rest Week. Admittedly, we were a bit frustrated that was not relayed to us, but that could be the fault of Rest Week, so we decided to make the best of it. We ordered cocktails that were lovely, and food that sadly tasted under cooked and over sauced. I'm hesitant to recommend this place to others, but it's likely we just came on a bad day.
- Jo biancoJoJo1669Dined on 9/20/2014Love the open kitchen. Food presentation was great. Food was delicious and waiter was very informative about how food is made. Love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickNameDined on 9/20/2014We love coming here when we are in La Jolla. Great indoor space with full olive trees makes you feel like you are dining outside. Food is great. We tend to share several appetizers and just one entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!sabrinaDined on 9/18/2014Everything was delicious - the decor is amazing. Only good things to say about Herringbone!Special Features:
- Beautiful and DeliciousLiliDined on 9/14/2014This place was gorgeous! We were seated inside but between the open room and the large olive trees in between tables, it felt like a beautiful indoor/outdoor space. Went for Sunday brunch a few weeks back and while the servers were clearly busy, they made a point to check-in and between them and the wonderful busboy, we were well taken care of. The food was delicious, Chilaquiles and Eggs and the Shrimp Baja Tacos. Added the pecan sticky bun because, well, vacation and that was exactly what we were hoping for. Bottomless brunch certainly did not hurt matters and our server gave us some really thoughtful recommendations for the rest of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have been there beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014and the last time the service was much better and it was much busier. Hopefully the bad service isn't turning people away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HerringboneDaveODined on 9/13/2014It was pretty warm in the dining area, but then again it was in the middle of the SD heat wave. We had to wait for about 15 minutes for our table as well. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- herringbonemoodymomVIPDined on 9/13/2014what a delightful surprise! delicious food! love the trees in the middle of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Personalized ServiceDennisDined on 9/11/2014Having theater tickets, we arrived before most diners. We got to see the colorful crowd enjoying the live music in the front, and we enjoyed it, too. Our waiter, also a bartender there on some nights, not having other tables to work, became our friend, driving the discussion to the specialty cocktails and the different dishes. We arrived thinking we knew what we would order, but the waiter led us in a different direction. With each plate, we became more willing to seek even more direction from him. He was as superb as the food. The place is about invention, while still offering some traditional fare. Parking was easy next to the restaurant, an important consideration in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Okay ServiceWineguyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Dined with them last Friday as a group of 4 people. We all thought the food was excellent but the service was a bit off. Ordered oysters that arrived without forks, horseradish, or tabasco. They did serve it with 2 condiments but never told us what they were. After requesting forks from four different people, we finally got them. This restaurant would be better if the service staff worked together to deal with customer needs rather than just say "I'll find your server".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but unpleasent serviceHBlocalVIPDined on 9/5/2014Made reservation several days in advance. The hostes gave us a table by the kitchen door next to the waiters station. When we aske to be moved to one of the three available tables but she replied that they were reserved ( i guess we should have used the othe reservation system). Our waiter did not care much about our table so we kept asking for things the other waiters. It took our waiter forever to bring the second beer and when he finally brought it he stopped to speak to his manager next to my table and only later put it in front of me. I dont think he even understood that it was rood. The food was very good.Special Features:
- LunchKEM92103VIPDined on 9/1/2014Visited for a weekend late lunch - almost empty, so quiet and relaxed. Nice setting with indoor trees, airy and good service. Very mediocre cesaer salad - the dressing had no taste and the lettuce contained chunks of romaine core.Special Features:
- Eclectic HerringboneRLVegasDined on 8/30/2014Service supreme with Kerry however rushed off her feet as she juggled 10 tables at once! She knows the eclectic menu inside out. Tip-top meal from start to finish. Halibut was slices of featherweight heaven. Tuna was perfection! Experiment and play with the unique and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findchanpagneoclockDined on 8/30/2014We were wowed from the moment we arrived. Beautiful inside. It will be first on list on our next visit to LaJolla.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchBettyjaneDined on 8/24/2014Had a great birthday brunch yesterday! Food, atmosphere and service was great! My two friends enjoyed their first visit and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great ambience, brilliant food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The entire Herringbone experience was outstanding! The whole fish was beautifully prepared and superbly served. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great dinnerSDdinerDined on 8/23/2014Wait staff were amazing and they really knew their menu. Halibut was fabulous and my wife loved the perfectly cooked scallops. Would go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectLaCipperDined on 8/22/2014Gorgeous atmosphere and very excellent service. Food is delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good turned into greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014We ordered Halibut and it was a bit dry, tried the center of the fish and it was still dry. We made a hesitant comment about it being dry and right away the server offered a new plate. It was not expected, but we are very grateful because I had the best cooked salmon I have ever had. Herringbone is a great place and has a great chef! Thank you!Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodie70Dined on 8/19/2014although the restaurant was beautiful we were extremely disappointed in the way the food was prepared. our whole fish was bland and our other fish was overlooked. We ended up leaving very disappointed. Appetizers were fine and desserts were ok.Special Features:
- Always Great For LunchcoffeeDined on 8/17/2014Herringbone is always a great choice for lunch. I have not been for dinner but you cant beat the food and atmosphere for a nice weekend lunch or get together.Special Features:
- Excellent foodAllicatDined on 8/15/2014Unusual setting but quite noisy, particularly from several large groups. Good menu and excellent food. Service was okay but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RLVegasDined on 8/11/2014Kelly was the best waitress you could ask for- steering us correctly to the best dishes on the menu, other customer favorites and rightfully telling us what to avoid when asked for a specific yes/no recommendation. She well deserved the generous tip. Herringbone and its sister restaurants are now part of the Hakkasan empire from Las Vegas so hopefully any planned expansion doesn't compromise its individual appeal and attraction. A delicious dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular ambianceAmyBDined on 8/10/2014Our food was so richly prepared neither myself nor my husband could finish it. Short ribs dont need so much sauce... The flavor gets covered up. We both liked the smojnt of vegetables that come with entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the areaReluctantPosterVIPDined on 8/8/2014Outside of the recent addition of Bijou, I didn't feel like La Jolla had been adding too many new, trendy restaurants for a night on the town. Herringbone has filled that void for a little while and is still a good spot to go. Food is good, not amazing, but you can go the multiple shared plates route or the standard app/salad and an entree route. I feel like the shared plates route can get too pricey for the amount of food needed to satisfy versus the standard route, so know that if you go exploring on the menu.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014From beginning to end. Great recommendations. Food and service was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.