7837 Herschel Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.herringboneeats.com/
- Phone: (858) 459-0221
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm -11:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2pm
Weekend Brunch (Sat-Sun): 10am-2:30pm
Oyster Hour: Daily 4pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Amanda Baumgarten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater! Chef Brian Malarkey has teamed up with Chef Antonio Friscia to form Campine, a full service event catering company that can bring the Herringbone experience to you: www.campinecatering.com
- Special Events: Please contact Mikki Alvarez, Mikki@stingsandiego.com to inquire about special events.
A word from Herringbone
Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, Herringbone offers “Fish Meats Field” cuisine by Top Chef Alumni Brian Malarkey!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Herringbone - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Herringbone reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (84)hot spot (72)good for groups (67)special occasion (63)vibrant bar scene (56)romantic (50)great for lunch (47)great for brunch (34)notable wine list (24)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great Restaurant!NewcomerVIPDined on 11/18/2014Absolutely loved the ambiance and the food at the Herringbone. Our waitress was a gem, had the best experience and food. Recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We celebrated my Husband's 50th Birthday here for dinner and WOW! The service was outstanding (Courtney was our waitress), food was simply amazing, the entire atmosphere was spectacular!!! Loved how the management came around ensuring that everything was meeting our expectations in regards to service, drinks and food....this seems to be a rarity anymore. We enjoyed the Scallops, Ahi Tuna, wines, bourbons and desserts......all were outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryemmemmellDined on 11/15/2014It was our first time here. We were seated by the side area near the bar and it was quite loud with the DJ and all the people there. The food was good but not terribly unique. The scallops were a tad overdone and tasted all right. The skate wing tasted better but was a bit burnt on the edges. The brussel sprouts were so-so... not sure what everyone was raving about on Y---. I mean, they still taste and definitely smell like brussel sprouts. Best parts of our meal were the fries and the moist, tender dessert donuts -- yum! Maybe we'll try this place again for lunch but it's quite pricy for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hypeTouristDined on 11/15/2014Yes, there are trees in the restaurant. But the decor is overly self-conscious. The acoustics terrible and the tables jammed together like a food hall. It was very difficult to get the attention of the overworked waitstaff.
- Great BrunchJayJVIPDined on 11/15/2014Thanks to Herringbone for remembering the note regarding our anniversary. The service was excellent and the attention at our table was perfect. Not too invasive and not too scares Will make sure to come again for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatJtciiiVIPDined on 11/13/2014Seasonal changes in the menu are spot on. Herringbone continues to deliver a high-quality dining experience season after season. Highlights included the buffalo sauce octopus, the roast chicken, in the signature sundaeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceanniversary0807Dined on 11/9/2014very nice to take a friend from out of town. Great quality food, helpful service, and love the decorSpecial Features:
- Fabulous brunchMomof3VIPDined on 11/9/2014Wow!! First time here and all I can say is I can't wait to come back for brunch next weekend. The eggs Benedict was the best I ever had. The pototes were so good my kids ordered an extra side of them to share. And did I mention bottomless mimosas for $12! And there was live music tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyabledmc11Dined on 11/9/2014The ambiance was fantastic. Eating beneath the olive trees in the rustic but charming "warehouse"dining area was lovely. The food was great, too. The lobster roll was amazing with the most buttery brioche roll. The raw Oysters were fresh and delicious. Even the burger was sublime as was the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bar?GuilhermeDined on 11/8/2014The food is extremely salty. We were 4 friends and we had a night of thirst. The taste? None if it wasn't for the exageration on the use of spices. My "medium rare" tuna was almost raw, then super well done and then finally ok (I am referring to this strict aspect). My wife and friends food was terrible. Never going back.Special Features:
- awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014noisy and awful food, it is a bar not a restaurant.Special Features:
- Noisy but memorableGoatdinnerDined on 11/7/2014I have eaten at Herringbone many times and love the ambiance and the good and drink selections. This time we visited with a full dining room in the rear of the restaurant and I was surprised at how noisy it was. Not the best for a small dinner with an elderly crowd :-) the youngsters around us were clearly loving it, though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meimeiDined on 11/7/2014Great service, food and atmosphere. A MUST-GO! I loved the two bars in the restaurant, and the trees in the middle of the dining room is very inviting; it makes you feel like you are outdoors.Special Features:
- Good food great serviceNannersDined on 11/7/2014This was our second time here. The food is quite good but the service is even better. I wish I got her name because she made our dining experience that much better!Special Features:
- Fabulous!SammDined on 11/7/2014Service was outstanding from our server to the guy who kept our water glasses full. Order the Lobster Roll; you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyHCandCRDined on 11/2/2014We spent a lovely Sunday evening here. The staff was very nice and they treated us to a dessert bc they knew it was our 3-year anniversary. The full bass was so unbelievably delicious we have got to take our parents there when they visit. Thank you, Herringbone, for making our special night so special!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemLaJollaBobDined on 11/1/2014Service was outstanding and the ambiance was refreshing. We enjoyed the creative appeal of the appetizers and the sherbet dessert. The halibut was delicious, although the medium cooked salmon was on the dry side. Portions were more than adequate. Valet parking was a plus.Special Features:
- Great food!33birthdayDined on 10/31/2014Really enjoyed the excellent food and good service. My only complaint was the high noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic EatsJayfranDined on 10/29/2014This is a fun place to eat right. The food is neither comfort nor common--it is carefully planned and executed and to near perfection. The selections are allergen friendly to boot, adding to the very apparent sharp focus of the restaurant on the customer's needs. The server was adept at describing the dishes, understanding the intent of the chef in the flavor profiles, and in making sure the customer gets what is best. The open and well lit atmosphere adds to the overall experience in a good way. Overall a satisfying experience.Special Features:
- New on my favorites listDining4luvDined on 10/29/2014This was first time at Herringbone, but not my last. This vintage warehouse with six decades-old olive trees is beautifully casual. We started with an Albacore tartare and shrimp toast, accompanied by a bottle of Trinitas Chardonnay. The tartare was good, but unremarkable. The toast had a bold shrimp flavor with just enough bread. I selected the Skate Wing Schnitzel, a preparation that hides, rather than accents, the delicate flavor of the Skate. Although this is primarily a seafood restaurant, my friend chose the Angus Short Rib which was beautifully cooked and sauced for a mouthwatering meaty meal. Favorably impressed with Herringbone, we returned the next night for their fresh, plump and delicious $1 oysters. My best oysters in decades.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014Great ambiance. Very attentive staff. The food was moderate in its preparation. Sauces for skate and hallibut were a bit heavy.Special Features:
- Fabulous vibe and settingOutandaboutDined on 10/25/2014Herringbone is a really cool hip restaurant in the middle of downtown La Jolla. Much more the "city vibe" than I would have expected and it was great. The interior space is amazing! We at at the back bar so didn't sit at a table for dinner, but the bar was great and the bar tender was excellent. We ordered the "pea" salad which didn't have many peas in it, but the pizza and soup were excellent. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent Meal, Service & Vibe!BirkieDined on 10/25/2014Really unique atmosphere, the olive trees throughout the dining area, fireplace, two bars, excellent menu selections. We had fantastic service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cardsDined on 10/25/2014The food was so good and the presentation was great. Good service. Loved the decor. Will go again if in the area an will tell others.Special Features:
- Great place for lunchtdb13Dined on 10/24/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. Very unusual and rustic decor. Gigantic olive trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatIngaDined on 10/23/2014Pleasant experience . My Salmon dish was very tasty. The Salmon was moist not overcooked. My friend had the same and liked it also. We had appetizer at the bar and they were delishes. Service was excellent. I will come back and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT EVENING!RosieDined on 10/20/2014Our party of 6 was seated in the back at a quiet table...thank you! The food was wonderful, wine good and glazed donuts fantastic! Loved the varied menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Try In La JollaTadErickVIPDined on 10/15/2014Wow! What a terrific experience it was dining at Herringbone! We were greeted by a team of friendly, courteous, and professionals who welcomed us and immediately made us feel welcome. We enjoyed one of their specialty cocktails and it was amazing. Corey, our server, did a tremendous job. He knew the menu exceptionally well and helped us choose from the many intriguing dishes offered. He was timely, professional, and fun throughout the evening. Brian, the manager, is, as we had been told, a friendly and attentive man who makes sure that all of the restaurants guests are enjoying themselves. He stopped and talked with us a few times to make sure everything was good. I will be looking forward to going back again soon!!!!Special Features:
- Just loved HerringboneQuizieDined on 10/12/2014Our friend told us about Herringbone and said she highly recommended this resturant. We were taking a family member out for her birthday and wanted some place special. . . and it was fabulous!!! Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:
- A bit disappointedNancyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our food was good but not as delicious as we remembered it from our past experiences there. We could hardly hear the waiter as there was music that was blasting. I don't remember that being an issue before either.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome servicecjm1VIPDined on 10/10/2014always nice to have lunch here; the food is really good and the ambiance is amazingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Really beautiful ambience and great design! The food was amazing. The waiter was super knowledgable about recommendations, types of meat/fish, and very helpful with the wine list. We celebrated a birthday and they brought out a beautiful dessert. Made the night very special!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodlhksdDined on 9/27/2014This is a great, high class restaurant with food that will not disappoint. It can be very busy on weekends, so make reservations. Even with reservations, expect to be seated late. The waitress that helped us in the bar area started off on a bad foot. She clearly didn't care about helping us as we were just waiting for our table to be ready. However, the waitress that helped us the rest of the evening was great and very attentive. Drinks are good, but not amazing. The entrees and sides were wonderful. I've been for brunch/lunch before and was not thrilled. Dinner was great though!Special Features:
- Excellent dinner, too noisy!33birthdayDined on 9/26/2014My only criticism was the very high noise level. a conversation was practically impossible. My group did not resort to texting, it is not our thing! I can undestand that it might have been useful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my friend here for her b-daycollegeeatsDined on 9/26/2014Wanted to go somewhere good for my girl friend's birthday, so I found Herringbone online and was really fascinated by their decor. The olive trees growing right in the restaurant really caught my eye, so we decided to go. Everything was delicious! The oysters were fantastic in particular, and it was brilliant that they bring out olives in lieu of the usual bread before dinner. Overall definitely a fantastic experience! My friend was very impressed with the food and atmosphere. It's a little pricey for regular dining, but for special occasions it's excellent. Thanks for helping me give my friend a fantastic birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot - food just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The atmosphere and decor - outstanding. The food was just okay. Not bad but not great, however also taking into consideration that it was restaurant week so I'm sure the kitchen was extremely busy.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious and memorableHippocratesDined on 9/23/2014Our waiter, Rune, gave us great advice, and the wine pairings brought out the complex flavors of our appetizers and entrees. The atmosphere is very energetic and not conducive to intimate conversation; however, if you're in the mood for great food and a lively vibe, you'll enjoy dining at Herringbone.Special Features:
- Didn't Like the Food At AllyuckDined on 9/23/2014Shame. It was so highly recommended. We went there for Restaurant Week. They did not offer their happy hour or any other menu items. I had the scallops. They were gritty. The appetizer was the octopus and it was also slightly gritty. Very odd. The opening item was the oysters - also gritty. The scallops had a nice flavor but hard to get away from the fact that they hadn't been cleaned properly.
- Disappointing RW LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Decor was inspired; however the food was not. It was a terrible introduction for Restaurant Week: the Two Handed Burger on the rare side of what was ordered, the both sides of chips seemed as if they were held under the warmer (and few things are worse than warm fried foods), the Albacore Burger was an terrible ground meat version of what looked like a great meal (and had a stray piece of plastic in it to boot). A four top of guys came in much after us and received their meals way ahead of us. Our waiter got sidetracked by a table of 10 ladies beside us and we were left being served by the Hostess/Manager. (As a side note, we ate at Kitchen 1540 for RW and it was INCREDIBLE and MEMORABLE.)Special Features:
- Everything was great except chairVS858Dined on 9/22/2014Everything was great except when we got up to leave I noticed there was a sticky stain on the back on my skirt, apparently there were syrup/frosting on the chair cushion from the previous guess. The cushions were dark prints so there was no way to see it before sitting down.Special Features: