100 Woodland Pond Drive
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theumstead.com/
- Phone: 9194474000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 6:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Afternoon Tea: Wednesday - Sunday: 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Steven D. Greene
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Carrie Cassidy of The Umstead Hotel at 919.447.4131 or at email@example.com for catering in the Hotel Event Space.
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room for 12 provides the stage for extensive food and wine-paired tasting menus. Executive Chef Steven D. Greene will both indulge and delight you during your dining experience. Reserve this space for lunch, for an evening with friends, colleagues or family.
- Private Party Contact: Tammie Burdick 8887787425
- Entertainment: Our sumptuous surroundings are enhanced by live music every day of the week at The Bar and Lounge of The Umstead Hotel and Spa.
A word from Herons
Noted by Condé Nast Traveler as a "culinary gem," The Umstead Hotel and Spa's signature restaurant Herons features the refined American cooking of Executive Chef Steven D. Greene and Chef de Cuisine John Childers. The extensive 2500-bottle wine selection complements the sophisticated dining experience. Guests will enjoy the elegant setting and exquisite art collection indoors as well as dining on the terrace, with panoramic views of the lake. The Umstead’s Bar is also available to local diners and hotel guests for a more casual experience. Herons, a Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five Diamond Restaurant, serves breakfast and lunch daily, weekend brunch and dinner Monday - Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Herons - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Herons reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (75)romantic (74)notable wine list (54)scenic view (39)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (31)great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (19)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fine Dining with a ViewPAL4dinenwineDined on 10/27/2014Herons is the total experience for dining: quality ingredients presented artfully, beautiful interior decor with fresh flowers and fine art, attentive service, and a beautiful view of the landscape.Special Features:
- Avoid at all costs!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014A perfect example of style trumping substance. Pretentious and gimmicky to the hilt, but the food simply isn't good. What a waste of a ton of money ($591 before tip for three tasting menus with two wine pairings)!!!
- Hard to beat!WinedandDinedDined on 10/24/2014Celebrating our anniversary at Heron's is a no-brainer! The menu is sublime and the wine pairings make the meal so memorable. We received excellent service the sommelier and our server, Scott. Of special note, the foie gras was incredible, the scallops were divine and the lamb was the most tender we had ever tasted. We loved the nice touch of being given the label from a Mersault we particularly enjoyed and loved our dinner so much we didn't want it to end. Heron's is local treasure. Honestly there is no finer dining in the Triangle. From presentation, ambience, service and taste - it was all completely perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014It was very nice. Had a good time. Customer service was very good. Just wish the portions (main course) were a little bigger based on the price of the meal. My expectations of a 4 course meal is to be full after eating. I was more content but not full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BirthdayForrorDined on 10/23/2014Took my wife for her 40th birthday, her first time at Heron's. Gorgeous presentation, waiter Todd was spot on and was knowledgeable and attentive. Food was delicious and to die for.Special Features:
- Perfection1travelerDined on 10/21/2014Really perfect in every way. Pleasant music, attentive well trained servers and outstanding food. It is one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemsnwozDined on 10/20/2014Great restaurant tucked away in Cary. Exquisite cuisine, reasonably priced, with fair portion sizes. They use fresh local seasonal ingredients. Excellent service. They also have a spa onsite which was superb!Special Features:
- Like a 5-star New York restaurantSaulDined on 10/15/2014The ambiance, service, food and wine pairings were all excellent. Reminded us of Daniel and Le Bernardin in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was out of this world!Deb919Dined on 10/14/2014Enough Said! The food was incredible. THe service impeccable! Just a wonderful lunch time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkipBuzzVIPDined on 10/10/2014Elegant looking restaurant inside the Umstead Spa hotel. Atmosphere is outstanding. Menu and food prep is very good, interesting but not really memorable. Service is good but a bit uneven and bit too chatty. Wine list is extensive but seriously over-priced with some bottles 4X+ retail.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic EveningJustanother2dinersDined on 10/8/2014We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at Heron's Restaurant and it was a evening to remember! The food was outstanding and the service impeccable. Our waiter (Scott) could not have taken better care of us throughout the entire meal. He made excellent recommendations and helped make this night very, very special. We brought in a pair of champagne glasses recently hand made just for this occasion. Scott took the time to carefully unwrap the new glasses and made sure they were both perfectly clean and spotless. His champagne recommendation was also right on the mark. Overall, it was a fabulous and romantic evening that will always be remembered and cherished!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfranco153Dined on 10/7/2014Very nice ambiance, definitely expensive but all considered worthwhileSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott is the best Server.sunshine89VIPDined on 10/4/2014.The presentations were amazing. I like French service but every dish with pours if sauces get a little over kill. I ended up with three dishes that were all white sauce and everything ended up tasting the same. The "Cauliflower" was the worse of all the dishes. I was thinking Dumpling as in Asian Dumpling. Not a ball of sticky starch. no separation in taste or balance in the dish. One bowl of white starch.The deserts are amazing. The best part of the meal and we never have dessert. If you have something listed on the menu, please know ahead of time if you have it in stock. . We compared it to Salt at The Ritz Carlton and Salt won in every dish that came out. Just did not seem to impress to be 5 star. Maybe next time. Kudos to the staff.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I dined here for our wedding anniversary. The food was spectacular but the ambiance wasn't as romantic as I had remembered from the last time we were here a few years ago. Despite it being a Friday night, there were a lot of business diners who were pretty loud. We asked to relocate to the back of the restaurant so we could hear one another over all the noise. I have been here many times for lunch and love it but I don't think I'll go back again for dinner. The pre fix menu is very expensive. I'd prefer less food for a lower price. I have to reiterate that the food was outstanding though.Special Features:
- Elegant Dining at HeronsPAL4dinenwineDined on 10/2/2014Herons was perfect for small luncheon to celebrate the 94th birthday of a relative. Menu was beautiful--we selected the Salmon followed by dessert of the chocolate mousse. The employees from the entry to gift shop to dining room are professional and gracious. Herons remains my favorite spot to dine in the Triangle.Special Features:
- Amazing!LaurenADined on 9/27/2014My husband and I just spent our 9th wedding anniversary at the Umstead and went to the Spa and to Herons for dinner. It was a wonderful meal. We felt taken care of from the minute we walked in and enjoyed our experience immensely. The food was adventurous and unique but we easily found things we loved and that were absolutely delicious. It was truly an experience and my only regret is that I did not take advantage of the wine pairings with each course. I highly recommend for any special occasion you have!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014My wile, Lois, and had a wonderful lunch for our anniversary. This was the first time we were at Herons and have decided that we would treat ourselves every two month for lunch. We like everything about Herons and will certainly recommend this to our friends. Thank you so much for the experience,Special Features:
- TarheeOnePuttDined on 9/19/2014It's a great place for a special occaision. The service is terrific and the staff does not rush you. We enjoyed the wine pairing they suggested with our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The chef's tasting menu with wine pairings was an experience worthy of our anniversary celebrationSpecial Features:
- Always a Treat!!CAABDined on 9/12/2014As always we so enjoyed our lunch at Heron's. Our wait person, Suzanne is attentive and personable. The new menu has provided us with great new choices and we loved everything we selected.Special Features:
- How wonderful food is...OneAndDoneDined on 9/8/2014at Herons! Took my wife to celebrate and we were not disappointed! The food and service is super. My wife said the experience felt like one of those kitchen/food competition shows, where the judges need to be impressed. We were the judges and we were impressed!Special Features:
- LovelySkinnyeatsDined on 9/7/2014This is a really love place to dine. The decor, spacing, and lighting is just perfect. Service and brunch was very good. The huckleberry jam with warm doughnuts were incredibly delightful. Glad to have jewel such as this in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination dining -- go to HeronsDestinationDinerDined on 9/4/2014We will go far for a good meal. Heron's is only 5 hours drive from our home and we are already planning another visit. Only challenge was putting down the amazing wine list to look at the menu. Loved the large selection of half bottles of wine. (One of us likes white, the other red.) The food is in the same league as Alinea and Per Se -- one of the best meals you will ever taste with prep so memorable you won't ever forget it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Herons, is a place of choice for special occasions. My mother and I celebrate our birthdays and mothers day at Herons. We always enjoy our time there. The food is exceptional and the service is a lovely blend of southern hospitality and urban sophistication.Special Features:
- Heron is for special occasionsMotekDined on 9/2/2014This is perhaps our fifth or sixth time at Heron. On past occasions we chose the tasting menu. The new menu offers a type of a la carte menu which offers simpler tasting menus either 4 course or 3 course with or without wine pairings. We chose the 3 course with wine pairings. It was outstanding. The wine pairings were amazing. but service this time was a bit off. Bread was offered late. Normally bread replenishment is automatic. but this time we had to request. This was especially surprising since restaurant was not busy on a Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchBlueys99Dined on 8/30/2014Menu was interesting and concise. Both items ordered were excellent.Special Features:
- AmazingEatoutalotVIPDined on 8/28/2014Amazing all around. Ambiance is elegant. Food was amazing and the Service was impeccable. Had a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hoursglorDined on 8/26/2014It was a very relaxing and wonderful lunch. Spent 3 hours talking to a new friend. This is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Staff Beautiful Viewsglutton2gourmetDined on 8/25/2014Our experience at Herons was notable for the excellent service staff. Not only were they efficient, they were very cheerful. Indeed. they made the eating experience very enjoyable at breakfast and at dinner. Overall the food is excellent and quite beautifully presented with novel ingredients. The servings are appropriately sized. Personally I would like more intense flavors to compliment the elegant presentations. Eating at Herons was a wonderful 2.5 hour experience recently. Lovely wines by the glass available at reasonable prices for the quality. A beautiful dining room in a beautiful hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Umstead Heron's ExperienceGIJoeDined on 8/24/2014Heron's is a great restaurant. I booked the Sunday brunch and it was fabulous. The service was impeccable. The only complaint I have is that I had made the reservation well in advance, but we were seated next to the patio exit. This meant that our meal had to be interrupted several times by the wait staff going in an out the door. That was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great anniversaryWashingtonVIPDined on 8/23/2014My fiancee and I went to Heron's to celebrate the anniversary of our first date. The service was amazing -- just the right mix of formal and down-to-earth. We got a great bottle of Chilean wine from the restaurant's enormous wine list. The food was delicious and the presentation was really cool. It was just an A+ all around. Who knew there was dining this good in Cary, NC? We'll definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Our Anniversary DinnerPoppyDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had a 6 o'clock reservation for dinner. I had requested a side table in a nice location with a view if possible. They seated us by the back window in a perfect location. Our waiter, Scott, was perfect. Just the right combination of knowledge and friendliness and completely versed in the menu and descriptions. We had the 4 course dinner and each was an artistic feast for the eye's. Many of the components were not familiar to us, but that was part of the fun. I have to say my favorite part was the Yuzu dessert. At the end of the meal, Scott brought us a chocolate dessert and placard with Happy Anniversary written in gold. We were very pleased with the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pampered ExperiencenamasteDined on 8/20/2014A friend and I had just come from the Umstead Spa where we had relaxing pedicures. The dining room experience at Herons continued the pampering with perfect service and wonderful lunch fare. The tomato soup was rich without being heavy with a bit of a zing to the fresh flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Evening with FriendsJDB3Dined on 8/18/2014All aspects of our visit were superb. The cuisine is outstanding, the wine list is phenomenal, the service is all one could wish for, and the venue is lovely. It's easy to see why this establishment has earned five diamonds!Special Features:
- Special anniversary dinner!DiningDadDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I dined here on our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. The service was outstanding and our food was also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabuloustravelerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Nothing better in the RDU area. Third visit to Heron's in the month of August 2014.Special Features:
- Lunch for 2TooManyHobbysVIPDined on 8/15/2014Excellent service but I would expect that at this price level. The quality and value of the food did not match the price level. They sat us at a table for two next to a wall and the restaurant was empty so it wasn't very comfortable for 2 people over 6 foot nor did it have ant special ambience.
- Perfection--always.OnTheTown2014Dined on 8/13/2014I always consider myself very fortunate to dine at Herons, whether for dinner, lunch, breakfast or brunch. Herons is a treat for the senses and should be visited often to reward the efforts of not only the many people who create the perfect experience of dining there, but also one's self!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuberDined on 8/12/2014Excellent service, food and atmosphere. A very special night made possible by a very professional staff.Special Features:
- Style Over SubstanceFairandTrueDined on 8/10/2014I can only say that I have been extremely spoilt with fine dining in the UK (I am a UK resident). I searched this place out on the Forbes list when I came to town as I was looking for a special place for lunch. Having read about the Umstead and its owner etc... I was excited to be going. My reservation was not there, but I was accommodated. Lunch was not available on the Sunday, just a limited Brunch menu. No wine list given - just a selcetion of typical brunch cocktails. We asked what was in the mimosa and they didnt know. Finally the bill was given without us asking for it and we were actually considering a desert and coffee. The food was good, did not wow though and I was expecting to be blown away and I left a little sad.Special Features: