131 E Mifflin St.
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.heritagetavern.com/
- Phone: 6082839500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Daniel Fox
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Catering: Catering for small and large-scale events-- please call us to discuss your needs.
A word from Heritage Tavern
A new world tavern, featuring globally-inspired cuisine using local Wisconsin ingredients, craft cocktails and an old-world ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Heritage Tavern - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Heritage Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (33)notable wine list (24)hot spot (22)good for groups (18)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Such a Madison gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Remarkable menu - constantly evolving and every item so well done. Great variety, and so much fun with a group to allow for sharing and trying so many different items. Wait staff are professional but engaging, with great knowledge of all the items, or a ready willingness to find out answers. A terrific place for special occasions - or trying to impress visiting foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This was my second time dining at Heritage and it was just as incredible as the first. Every bite of food was a savory, flavorful, exciting experience. This restaurant is without a doubt my favorite in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedlooking4gr8tDined on 10/10/2014Love the chef's innovative combinations. I had the braised short rib with stuffed Onion, haricot vert, aged goat cheese polenta, brown butter, heirloom tomato, summer squash, reduction sauce and it was to die for. But my husband ordered the pork chop which comes from the chef's farm and is supposed to be a specialty. It was tough and tasteless.Special Features:
- 917PDined on 10/9/2014The Caesar salad was imaginative and tasty but overpriced. Had the pork chop and it was a dud. Lacked any flavor whatsoever. Very average.
- Heritage brunchColleenebVIPDined on 10/5/2014The brunch was fantastic and generally more affordable than the dinner menu. I would not bring kids here for dinner, but we were not the only person who had a child with us during brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealBigGuyDined on 10/3/2014The food was good. Small portions, but was surprising full at the end.Special Features:
- Where to begin...ChitownfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014The headcheese/escargot app was bland but my trout was very good. That's where the good news ends. Service was terrible. $13 drink served in a dirty glass with a hair in it. It must have been 40 minutes between the appetizers and entrées. They screwed up and brought our appetizers out twice. Then when they finally brought our food we were without utensils and I had to get up and find someone to ask for new ones. They at least recognized some of the issues and gave us two drinks for free. Overall the service was terrible but the food was pretty good, but don't think I can recommend based on all the problems I experienced.Special Features:
- Heritage TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing. The Waygu beef entrée is simply spectacular, maybe one of the best meals I've ever had. Excellent service as well. A great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- A Madison jewel!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014Everything about Heritage evokes "cozy, imaginative, friendly, and innovative". The only I would fault them on is their pricey (and I mean pricey) wine choices. Sigh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMadisonFoodieDined on 9/22/2014The food was absolutely fantastic. And the service was excellent as well. Would definitely go back for a date night out or for a family celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruceDDined on 9/20/2014Service was attentive. We had headcheese and escargot appetizer, which was excellent - nicely crisped. The roasted chicken and salmon entrees were outstanding. Wine selection was a bit limited, but our server paired a nice wine with our meal. Definitely worth a return trip. Very nice selection and variety of local vegetables and breads. Overall - quite a surprise for me, visiting from Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but incredible food/serviceKwik2Dined on 9/18/2014Incredible food, delightful service but depending on where you sit it may be challenging to hear your dining companions. Loved it anyway. Try the profiteroles for dessert - scrumptious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails and AppsKupcakeVIPDined on 9/15/2014I've been here 3 time and have been underwhelmed each time. The restaurant is beautiful and trendy and the service is much improved since last year. However, the main courses are still sub par. Of the few options I've tried, things have been over cooked, over salted, and bland. Definitely go for drinks and apps though! The deviled eggs are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch-Time BrunchFun2dineDined on 9/13/2014We took guests from out of town, and all of us were thrilled with our meals. I want to go back to try other menu items.Special Features:
- Loved it.MadMaxDined on 9/12/2014If you're looking for an alternative to L'Etoile, this is it. Proximity to the square, check. Parking, check. Beautiful venue, check. Incredible food, check. It's got all you're looking for and more. It's not trying to take the crown, it walks its own path, it's great! It's just not L'Etoile...and you're not going to pay for L'Etoile...you'll pay about 2/3.Special Features:
- Great FoodjhousleyDined on 9/10/2014Heritage Tavern has a very creative menu. The deviled eggs were awesome, as was the trout. We will be going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014The food at Heritage was amazing! Every dish left us talking. Truly one of the finest dining experiences in the Midwest!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everLikeseverythingDined on 8/29/2014As always, the food here is superb. We brought out of state friends here to enjoy what we thought they would experience -- one of the best foodie treats in the Midwest. And the food was as interesting and tasty as ever. BUT THE SERVICE WAS SO HORRIBLE THAT IT TOTALLY RUINED THE EVENING. One server was insulting and demeaning in answering whether the bar uses long stemmed martini glasses or short cocktail glasses for some of their cocktails. Our primary server forgot to put in our two appetizer orders going straight to the soup and salad course. And the capper: the maître d asked us to leave as our table was scheduled for another seating in 5 minutes BEFORE WE HAD EVEN BEEN PRESENTED WITH THE CHECK! Chef Fox needs to hire great servers NOW.Special Features:
- Wade in the WaterWadeinthewaterDined on 8/27/2014This place was a wonderful find. The food was creative and fun and delicious. The portion sizes were perfect, so we tried an appetizer -- Tempura softcrab -- I'm from Annapolis and pretty choosy about crab and usually disappointed in the mid-west but this dish could stand up to any in Annapolis! Perfectly done. They served us some crispy bread with lightly pickled fresh veggies from the chef's garden -- delicious! Moved on to dinner and dessert, all wonderful. The wine list was very fun both of us tried a few selections. My only complaint was that this kind of a restaurant should be overlooking the Madison lakes, not stuck in a downtown side road. You must try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Although my friend and I didn't like sitting in the way back corner of the restaurant, our food was superb and the staff was very friendly. My friend commented that she's never had so many wait staff delivering things, refilling glasses, etc. Looks like the staff training was done well.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencedontwannaDined on 8/18/2014The food was amazing, and the bar staff has a great knowledge of drinksSpecial Features:
- Great FindRuthlessriderDined on 8/17/2014The service was efficient, friendly, and personable. The food was beautifully prepared and the taste matched the presentation.Special Features:
- What a find!foodiegirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was beyond expectations. The food was so creative and so fresh. From start to finish I loved every bite. The pate with home made pickles was outstanding. I loved the coleslaw,full of fresh vegetables. I don't live in Madison but I might be tempted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Creative menu. Quantity of food on some items was lacking for the price. Great flavors overall.
- Great mealeatingfor2Dined on 8/16/2014Would definitely go back. Bar tender was amazing! Loved our meal. Really want to try stuff from the snack menu next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a special occasionKarenCDined on 8/16/2014I was very excited to eat here after looking at the menu on-line. I was disappointed when I got there and the items I wanted to order weren't on the evening menu. I know items change to availability, but it was very different and when your spending $30 plus a plate, you want to be excited for your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTravelAddictDined on 8/15/2014We were spending one night in Madison and are recently engaged and wanted to have a nice, quiet, romantic dinner. An online search resulted in Heritage Tavern, the "2nd best restaurant in Madison" and we were intrigued by the reviews. Unfortunately the more negative reviews we read were more accurate; the food wasn't anything special (I wouldn't have thought it possible for fried cheese wrapped in bacon to be just mediocre), the staff had no personality, the dining area was SO loud that we actually chose to sit in the bar side, and the wine selection was also just mediocre. Ultimately it was a somewhat expensive waste of an evening.
- Great night outddkkDined on 8/15/2014The roast chicken and sockeye salmon were outstanding. The market veggies tasted garden fresh. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Almost worth the waitRichardVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was fantastic, and almost worth the wait (50 minutes for starters; another 30 for the main course). Don't come too hungry; and bring your patience in a handbag, along with good friends for conversation.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic!FoodzooDined on 8/14/2014The food was exceptional. Our waiter was excellent. There was a weird delay at the hostess stand causing a crowd to get backed up waiting for them to figure something out and our entree was delayed in the kitchen however we were given a free digestif and dessert so that more than made up for the delay. We really enjoyed all the food and drinks. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food, spotty serviceTisPamDined on 8/14/2014An inventive menu featuring local food, a nice spot to sit outside near the Capitol, and still waiting for the staff to get the training it desperately needs. The food is very good and I will return, hoping the service will improve.Special Features:
- TerribleHackerDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I decided to go out for a nice meal at a recommended restaurant. It was a very bad restaurant experience. It started with receiving a poor table when the restaurant was fairly empty. We were told that the other tables were all "reserved", even though we had a reservation. The service was slow. The waiter was not very helpful. The food was warm at best. We were ignored after our food was served and had to flag down someone to get our check. Very poor experience for a meal that cost in excess of $100.
- Disappointing on many frontsblueweimerDined on 8/6/2014Had high expectations for this restaurant but unfortunately will probably not be back. We had the pork belly and tuna appetizer, and it was a complete waste of $19. The pork belly we got was just mushy fat, with a tiny bit of actual pork belly in it. Server didn't come back until we were done, so didn't have an opportunity to send it back. I had the sea bass, which was very flavorful, particularly the broth in which it was served, and the fresh peas with it were wonderful. Husband had the steak, and ordered it medium rare, but it was rare. I did request a brandy old fashioned sweet, which was the best part of the meal. Service was just ok, not as good as I'd expect for the price point. Food was VERY slow in coming out.
- Great Find in MadisonrosesDined on 8/6/2014I have a very difficult time finding a restaurant I like, so that is why I am so excited about Heritage Tavern. The service was attentive without being suffocating. And the food - absolutely delicious. I have the striped bass, and it is the best seafood dish I have had so far in all the restaurants I have visited in Madison. I can't wait to share this place with all my friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food. Service Okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The boullabaise was very, very good. Incredible broth. The service would've been fantastic had it been a less expensive, less foodie driven restaurant. But given the character of the restaurant, I thought it was sub-par. But I would still definitely suggest dining there if you have the chance. Perhaps for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodAndersDined on 8/2/2014He food is to die for. I have never been disappointed when I have gone there. It is worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madfoodDined on 7/29/2014Our server could not have been nicer or more helpful. Their specialty drinks were refreshing and delicious. I went with friends that I don't see very often, we are slow and savor each course. We never felt rushed, which we really appreciated. All courses were unique and wonderful. We had a great experience. It is pricey, but worth it for a nice meal.Special Features:
- Chef Dan Fox Rocks!miriDined on 7/26/2014Love Heritage Tavern's modern atmosphere and delightful menu and staff. The beet salad is such a great mix of fresh ingredient. The cheese plate melts in your mouth. The chickpeas are a great snack. And I got the bouillabaisse - a melt-in-your-mouth combination of shrimp, clams, mussels and fish with potatoes, leeks and a broth that you will want to soak up with the delicious bread that is served with it. Don't skip dessert, either! And the wine and drink lists are amazing. The bar is also a vibrant scene and the bartenders are awesome with fun personalities.Special Features:
- Nice!thepizzleDined on 7/25/2014My fiancee and I went to Heritage Tavern this past Friday night and had a great time. We shared a salad, each got an entree, and ended with dessert. I highly recommend this place although it's a bit on the pricier side of things. Definitely a good place to go once in a whileSpecial Features:
- Dan Fox is a great great chef!WilburyDined on 7/24/2014I'm a regular at Heritage. Great food, happy servers, cool ambiance and great bar selection. Lots of unique and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.