131 E Mifflin St.
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.heritagetavern.com/
- Phone: (608) 283-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Daniel Fox
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Catering: Catering for small and large-scale events-- please call us to discuss your needs.
A word from Heritage Tavern
A new world tavern, featuring globally-inspired cuisine using local Wisconsin ingredients, craft cocktails and an old-world ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Heritage Tavern - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Heritage Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (46)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (26)hot spot (20)notable wine list (16)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Cool cocktails, creative foodTravel2EatVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our second time here. The food and drinks are great. The waiter was professional and appropriately attentive. The host, however, was not. He first tried to seat us all the way in the back, right next to the kitchen where we could hear the staff shouting to each other and pots and pans banging. There were only 2 other tables filled at 5:30pm! He finally moved us after leaving us standing there for awhile. Later, he seated a couple who brought a very young baby with them and blocked the space between the tables with the baby in a large carrier. They were joined by another couple who did the same on their side of the table. Without coffee or dessert, the bill at this restaurant is easily $50+ per person. Although the 2 well dressed, obviously rich enough to get babysitters couples were thoughtless, the host should have handled both situations very differently. We love this place, but our night was less than perfect this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseSicanguVIPDined on 11/11/2014I was traveling through Madison and had the good luck to stop for dinner at Heritage Tavern. The menu is full of surprises and the food was outstanding on every level.Special Features:
- Sunday night DiningMadisondinerDined on 11/9/2014Excellent dinner, we had the skirt steak and it was prepared perfectly to our order. I ordered the beet salad and it was delicious. The portions are modest but adequate. The apple dessert with homemade maple ice cream is a wonderful seasonal treat. The service was impeccable. Our server was helpful and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againTravelalotVIPDined on 11/9/2014I travel to Madison monthly for business and have discovered great restaurants in this city. Heriitage Tavern is NOT one of them! The food is over priced and almost not eatable. At the advice of our server, I had the Brussels sprouts appetizer. The spouts were microscopic and charred.i order the burger which was stuffed with cheese and short ribs. I found no cheese or short ribs. When I told the server that I couldn't find the stuffing, I was told it was my fault because I ordered my burger well done. I guess that also caused my bun to be brunt black! This restaurant's price points do not match their poor quality and poorly trained cooks. Go somewhere else!
- Harvest a great evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The staff at Harvest Tavern is wonderful... accommodated gluten free guests without any hesitation. Loved the menu... pairing of food ingredients great, names on menu even better -- provided a laugh and encouraged us to try new items! This restaurant's approach 'sets the table' for a wonderful evening with friends or family...Special Features:
- one of my favorite restaurantspickyeaterDined on 10/29/2014excellent food, low noise level during the week,and great wait staff. I cook a lot and always from scratch at home. When I go out, I want to eat at a restaurant where the flavors of the food are complex and can't be replicated. This restaurant fits the bill. Only negative is that it's expensive so we only go for special occasions.Special Features:
- AwesomeLVFOODIEDined on 10/26/2014Quail was out of this world! Curry trout was incredible. Tempura and cheese plate also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a Madison gem!jhconwaymdDined on 10/18/2014Remarkable menu - constantly evolving and every item so well done. Great variety, and so much fun with a group to allow for sharing and trying so many different items. Wait staff are professional but engaging, with great knowledge of all the items, or a ready willingness to find out answers. A terrific place for special occasions - or trying to impress visiting foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This was my second time dining at Heritage and it was just as incredible as the first. Every bite of food was a savory, flavorful, exciting experience. This restaurant is without a doubt my favorite in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedlooking4gr8tDined on 10/10/2014Love the chef's innovative combinations. I had the braised short rib with stuffed Onion, haricot vert, aged goat cheese polenta, brown butter, heirloom tomato, summer squash, reduction sauce and it was to die for. But my husband ordered the pork chop which comes from the chef's farm and is supposed to be a specialty. It was tough and tasteless.Special Features:
- 917PDined on 10/9/2014The Caesar salad was imaginative and tasty but overpriced. Had the pork chop and it was a dud. Lacked any flavor whatsoever. Very average.
- Heritage brunchColleenebVIPDined on 10/5/2014The brunch was fantastic and generally more affordable than the dinner menu. I would not bring kids here for dinner, but we were not the only person who had a child with us during brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealBigGuyDined on 10/3/2014The food was good. Small portions, but was surprising full at the end.Special Features:
- Where to begin...ChitownfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014The headcheese/escargot app was bland but my trout was very good. That's where the good news ends. Service was terrible. $13 drink served in a dirty glass with a hair in it. It must have been 40 minutes between the appetizers and entrées. They screwed up and brought our appetizers out twice. Then when they finally brought our food we were without utensils and I had to get up and find someone to ask for new ones. They at least recognized some of the issues and gave us two drinks for free. Overall the service was terrible but the food was pretty good, but don't think I can recommend based on all the problems I experienced.Special Features:
- Heritage TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing. The Waygu beef entrée is simply spectacular, maybe one of the best meals I've ever had. Excellent service as well. A great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- A Madison jewel!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014Everything about Heritage evokes "cozy, imaginative, friendly, and innovative". The only I would fault them on is their pricey (and I mean pricey) wine choices. Sigh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMadisonFoodieDined on 9/22/2014The food was absolutely fantastic. And the service was excellent as well. Would definitely go back for a date night out or for a family celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruceDDined on 9/20/2014Service was attentive. We had headcheese and escargot appetizer, which was excellent - nicely crisped. The roasted chicken and salmon entrees were outstanding. Wine selection was a bit limited, but our server paired a nice wine with our meal. Definitely worth a return trip. Very nice selection and variety of local vegetables and breads. Overall - quite a surprise for me, visiting from Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but incredible food/serviceKwik2Dined on 9/18/2014Incredible food, delightful service but depending on where you sit it may be challenging to hear your dining companions. Loved it anyway. Try the profiteroles for dessert - scrumptious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails and AppsKupcakeVIPDined on 9/15/2014I've been here 3 time and have been underwhelmed each time. The restaurant is beautiful and trendy and the service is much improved since last year. However, the main courses are still sub par. Of the few options I've tried, things have been over cooked, over salted, and bland. Definitely go for drinks and apps though! The deviled eggs are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch-Time BrunchFun2dineDined on 9/13/2014We took guests from out of town, and all of us were thrilled with our meals. I want to go back to try other menu items.Special Features:
- Loved it.MadMaxDined on 9/12/2014If you're looking for an alternative to L'Etoile, this is it. Proximity to the square, check. Parking, check. Beautiful venue, check. Incredible food, check. It's got all you're looking for and more. It's not trying to take the crown, it walks its own path, it's great! It's just not L'Etoile...and you're not going to pay for L'Etoile...you'll pay about 2/3.Special Features:
- Great FoodjhousleyDined on 9/10/2014Heritage Tavern has a very creative menu. The deviled eggs were awesome, as was the trout. We will be going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014The food at Heritage was amazing! Every dish left us talking. Truly one of the finest dining experiences in the Midwest!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everLikeseverythingDined on 8/29/2014As always, the food here is superb. We brought out of state friends here to enjoy what we thought they would experience -- one of the best foodie treats in the Midwest. And the food was as interesting and tasty as ever. BUT THE SERVICE WAS SO HORRIBLE THAT IT TOTALLY RUINED THE EVENING. One server was insulting and demeaning in answering whether the bar uses long stemmed martini glasses or short cocktail glasses for some of their cocktails. Our primary server forgot to put in our two appetizer orders going straight to the soup and salad course. And the capper: the maître d asked us to leave as our table was scheduled for another seating in 5 minutes BEFORE WE HAD EVEN BEEN PRESENTED WITH THE CHECK! Chef Fox needs to hire great servers NOW.Special Features:
- Wade in the WaterWadeinthewaterDined on 8/27/2014This place was a wonderful find. The food was creative and fun and delicious. The portion sizes were perfect, so we tried an appetizer -- Tempura softcrab -- I'm from Annapolis and pretty choosy about crab and usually disappointed in the mid-west but this dish could stand up to any in Annapolis! Perfectly done. They served us some crispy bread with lightly pickled fresh veggies from the chef's garden -- delicious! Moved on to dinner and dessert, all wonderful. The wine list was very fun both of us tried a few selections. My only complaint was that this kind of a restaurant should be overlooking the Madison lakes, not stuck in a downtown side road. You must try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Although my friend and I didn't like sitting in the way back corner of the restaurant, our food was superb and the staff was very friendly. My friend commented that she's never had so many wait staff delivering things, refilling glasses, etc. Looks like the staff training was done well.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencedontwannaDined on 8/18/2014The food was amazing, and the bar staff has a great knowledge of drinksSpecial Features:
- Great FindRuthlessriderDined on 8/17/2014The service was efficient, friendly, and personable. The food was beautifully prepared and the taste matched the presentation.Special Features:
- What a find!foodiegirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was beyond expectations. The food was so creative and so fresh. From start to finish I loved every bite. The pate with home made pickles was outstanding. I loved the coleslaw,full of fresh vegetables. I don't live in Madison but I might be tempted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MazowaukVIPDined on 8/17/2014Creative menu. Quantity of food on some items was lacking for the price. Great flavors overall.
- Great mealeatingfor2Dined on 8/16/2014Would definitely go back. Bar tender was amazing! Loved our meal. Really want to try stuff from the snack menu next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a special occasionKarenCDined on 8/16/2014I was very excited to eat here after looking at the menu on-line. I was disappointed when I got there and the items I wanted to order weren't on the evening menu. I know items change to availability, but it was very different and when your spending $30 plus a plate, you want to be excited for your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTravelAddictDined on 8/15/2014We were spending one night in Madison and are recently engaged and wanted to have a nice, quiet, romantic dinner. An online search resulted in Heritage Tavern, the "2nd best restaurant in Madison" and we were intrigued by the reviews. Unfortunately the more negative reviews we read were more accurate; the food wasn't anything special (I wouldn't have thought it possible for fried cheese wrapped in bacon to be just mediocre), the staff had no personality, the dining area was SO loud that we actually chose to sit in the bar side, and the wine selection was also just mediocre. Ultimately it was a somewhat expensive waste of an evening.
- Great night outddkkDined on 8/15/2014The roast chicken and sockeye salmon were outstanding. The market veggies tasted garden fresh. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Almost worth the waitRichardVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was fantastic, and almost worth the wait (50 minutes for starters; another 30 for the main course). Don't come too hungry; and bring your patience in a handbag, along with good friends for conversation.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic!FoodzooDined on 8/14/2014The food was exceptional. Our waiter was excellent. There was a weird delay at the hostess stand causing a crowd to get backed up waiting for them to figure something out and our entree was delayed in the kitchen however we were given a free digestif and dessert so that more than made up for the delay. We really enjoyed all the food and drinks. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food, spotty serviceTisPamDined on 8/14/2014An inventive menu featuring local food, a nice spot to sit outside near the Capitol, and still waiting for the staff to get the training it desperately needs. The food is very good and I will return, hoping the service will improve.Special Features:
- TerribleHackerDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I decided to go out for a nice meal at a recommended restaurant. It was a very bad restaurant experience. It started with receiving a poor table when the restaurant was fairly empty. We were told that the other tables were all "reserved", even though we had a reservation. The service was slow. The waiter was not very helpful. The food was warm at best. We were ignored after our food was served and had to flag down someone to get our check. Very poor experience for a meal that cost in excess of $100.
- Disappointing on many frontsblueweimerDined on 8/6/2014Had high expectations for this restaurant but unfortunately will probably not be back. We had the pork belly and tuna appetizer, and it was a complete waste of $19. The pork belly we got was just mushy fat, with a tiny bit of actual pork belly in it. Server didn't come back until we were done, so didn't have an opportunity to send it back. I had the sea bass, which was very flavorful, particularly the broth in which it was served, and the fresh peas with it were wonderful. Husband had the steak, and ordered it medium rare, but it was rare. I did request a brandy old fashioned sweet, which was the best part of the meal. Service was just ok, not as good as I'd expect for the price point. Food was VERY slow in coming out.