Hereford House - Independence
19721 East Jackson Drive
Independence, MO 64057Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Hereford House - Independence
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.herefordhouse.com/
- Phone: 8167959200
- Hours of Operation:
Open Labor 4pm- 8pm
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
Sunday – All Day (Happy Hour not available on Sunday Holidays)
Monday thru Saturday 3:00-6:00 pm
Friday and Saturday 9:00 pm to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Anourom Thomson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: For over 50 years Hereford House has long been the restaurant where memories are made. From wedding receptions and anniversary celebrations to holiday parties and family reunions, we can help make your special occasion truly memorable.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Haynie-Jones 8886522681
- Special Events: Wine Lover's Sundays
25% off Select Wines
A word from Hereford House - Independence
Hereford House is one of America's legendary steakhouses. Great food, casual atmosphere, superior service and reasonable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hereford House - Independence reviews from OpenTable diners
- Just ask!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014I made reservations online, asking for a "quiet corner" for entertaining out-of-town guests. Upon our arrival we were seated in a private room, complete with sliding doors which shut out all noise. It was as if we were dining at home. Our server, Erica, met our every need. Good wine , good food, good friends. What more do need?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fantastic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2014Whether anniversary, birthday, Valentines or just on a whim, Hereford House is a great atmosphere, amazing food and friendly service.Special Features:
- Hereford House is INCREDIBLEdsimmons1333VIPDined on 3/3/2014The staff remembers us by name, including our girls. They remember our typical orders. The food is fantastic and the service is impeccable. We can't recommend a restaurant experience more highly than this place for a date night OR a night out with the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was amazing. WithandrewDined on 3/1/2014The service was amazing. With this open table app we walked right in and got our food within minutes. The food was really good too. Try the chocolate cake and wings!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leawood vs. Independence.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I've been to the leawood Hereford house many time and have never had a complaint. Food was cooked well and served fast, and the waiters and waitresses have always been the best. We decided to try the independence one for the first time, and I felt like I went to Longhorn steak house.The waiter was ok. We were there for almost 3 hours, and my drink was only filled 2 twice, and the plates on the table never seemed to go away. I gave him 3 stars cause overall he was a nice guy, and seemed new at it. The food though was not impressive. My steak came out over cooked, and seemed like it been sitting for a while cause the hot plate they send them out on was cold.It's nothing against Herfird House, cause it's a great place to get a steak.Special Features:
- Not a gem..GroundedDined on 2/22/2014Ive been hearing about the quality of the Hereford House since I moved here 7 years ago from Montana. I was told your meats and preparation were second to none. My wife and I ordered the Salmon ( wife) and a Cowboy steak. All in all it took just about an hour to get our main course, but that was fine for us. What was not fine was my steak. It was fatty to the extreme. I realize that a certain amount of fat is normal, even needful with this cut of meat. When I cut away all the fat from the steak it amounted to about half. I asked the waiter about this and his reply was , " That looks like a bit more than we normally serve." I won't return.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Steak and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014We enjoyed yet another wonderful experience. Steak as usual was delicious. Our serice continues to gwt better each time. The wait staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Phenomenal establishment, feel blessed it is in our city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the fried chicken not steakDiningOutDined on 2/16/2014The chicken-fried chicken dinner is excellent. It seems to always be prepared correctly. I can't say the same about the steak. I used to order steak nearly every visit, & it was almost always prepared correctly (matched menu description for medium well-slight pink center) & tasted great. This was at least the third time that I received it undercooked. It was charred black on one side, but still red inside, not pink & not slightly. Even though it was burnt on one side & clearly was not going to taste good, it was cooked more on the other side but still came to me red inside. Then the manager intervened, & I switched to the chicken & ate after my husband was finished for our Valentine's dinner. I will go back, but I won't order steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We went for the first time for our Valentines date. We loved the service and the food was amazing! We will be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/needs better serviceSmittyDined on 2/15/2014Food was very good and served quickly even though it was Valentine's Day weekend. The prime rib was outstanding as well as the carrot cake. They were very busy but service could have been better. Had to wave down our server when we needed drink refills and take-home box. She never just stopped by the table to see if we needed anything. We were seated in the front room by windows so that location was not romantic, maybe inside in main seating was better. We had reservations so only had to wait about 15 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent night outRicohCopDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I enjoyed our night at Hereford House. You can always count on great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good choice.. exceptmikeDined on 2/14/2014Very good choice.. except for being seated by an exit door that was used by a couple employees on a cold night, overall 2 thumbs up!Special Features:
- Less ThanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The service was HORRIBLE, taking over an hour to be served all of our meal, the food (loaded mashed potatoes) were cold, My Fiance's steak was not seasoned and tough, My brother in law ordered a steak with cajun spices and was no flavor, the drinks from the bar were not good, just not a good experience, could go on and on...and we will NOT be dining here again at least not at the Independence location if at all. To spend over a $100 on your meals and to have this type of experience is unacceptable. Very disappointing experiencce and embarrassing to say the least since we invited family from out of town to dine with us.
- Worst Dining Expierience EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We made our reservation some two weeks prior. We have been regulars to this restaurant and I was disappointed to find out we we're put the very back of the restaurant. The wine server was rude and unattentive. It took too long to get our food and when we did it was not cooked right.
- Great for Date NightHaveForkWillTravelDined on 2/14/2014I have dined at Hereford House - Independence several times. I enjoy the atmosphere and the service it very prompt. Everyone is attentive and the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentlwhaganDined on 2/14/2014It was our 44th wedding anniversary. Service was excellent. Food was excellent. Completely enjoyed our evening out.Special Features:
- It was a mealUSCitizenDined on 2/14/2014It was just average, nothing special. Wait staff was good, food did not impress.Special Features:
- Service was very slow, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Service was very slow, food did not taste freshly prepared, more like warmed up leftovers. It was exceedingly noisy
- It seldom dissappointsrodcfpDined on 2/8/2014Went with my usual prime rib with the mashed sweet potatoes as a side. I'm always pleased to see a few half bottles of wine on the menu because I'm the only drinker at the table and I hate to waste wine, or take a partial bottle with me. Make sure you do reservations on the weekends because they get slammed. We got seated at 7:00pm with our 6:45pm reservation which I didn't think was too bad. Don't miss the bread pudding as a dessert. For a little added attraction you can have it flambé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff needs better trainingKCTiffanyDined on 2/7/2014The food was great - I ordered the bone-in ribeye that was melt-in-your-mouth perfection. The house cocktail of pineapple infused vodka was pretty good. Dessert of an apple crostini was fresh and delicious. My main complaint with Hereford House is the service. For a place like this with the prices they charge, it's inexcusable that the service of their wait staff is so lackluster. Our server was polite but not friendly. We received beverage napkins for our water but not our cocktails. I was handed a styrofoam box and plastic bag for my leftovers rather than her offering to box them up for me. Our dinner for two with tip was approximately $125 and for a bit more I'd rather go to Capital Grille for their excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non-inspired ServerSteakLoverDined on 2/7/2014Our server appeared to be rather bored the evening we dined at Hereford House. She was not cheerful, no smiles and gave the impression she was called it to cover for someone. However, a person in our party had had this person as a server on another occasion and said the same thing about her attitude. With the prices, this person should at least smile when they take your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame on a Local InstitutionSadDinerDined on 1/30/2014Everything seemed pre-made, frozen and resting on laurels that no longer exist. The original downtown HH always served equal to the cost: excellent steaks, premium price. The current "chain" HH in Independence was disappointing, premium price. It is attached to a suburban hotel with very casual families and precocious children. The filet was below all standards: medium well cooked leather and terrible flavor. After an appetizer, didn't get a salad until 45 minutes after we were seated. I then insisted the rest of our meal be served ASAP and they complied... with a terrible filet, tasteless cheddar potatoes and mashed potatoes from a bag. The peach cobbler was runny with cheap canned fruit. Goodbye old reputation. $$$$ = thumbs down.
- We have been here a few timesCarterJS3Dined on 1/26/2014We have been here a few times before and have had amazing service and amazing food. Boneless Buffalo app was very good and salad was good too. biggest let down was the steak. Seeing as this place is recommended for steak i was very dissatisfied with my steak. i had asked for Med well and it came out med rare. requested it to be cooked a little longer. as i waited for my steak to return the server brought me my sides back out. when my steak did finally come back i had to send me sides back due to being cold. the steak was extremely over done to the point it was chard and almost burnt on the outside and very well done and dry on the inside and had lost all flavor. think it will be while before i return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall everything was greatjohnnybDined on 1/26/2014Overall everything was great but next time we are there. we'd like to see 2 things changed. First off, our waitress didn't visit our table right away so another waiter brought us glasses of water while we waited. Well, when the waitress finally came to take our orders, she never asked us if we wanted anything else to drink. Second, my wife and I ordered baked potatoes. They were brought out to use with no butter or sour cream. I asked for butter and sour cream. When the waitress brought them out, the butter felt like it was frozen. It was very hard to work into the potato. But like I said, the food was delicious. My 12 year old daughter said it was the best streak...EVER!Special Features:
- If you are a party of 2, IribmeDined on 1/25/2014If you are a party of 2, I would recommend the diner for 2 at $65.00. A lot of food choices & desert for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Service ... MehJMCx2Dined on 1/25/2014Our waiter seemed very distracted from the time we sat down to the time we left. All other wait staff were friendly & efficient. All food was prepared as ordered, and was tasty. The steak medallions were not particularly tender. The pork chop would've been a better choice, based on a previous visit. If you stay at the attached hotel, be sure to ask the front desk for a 10% discount card.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchpapayodaDined on 1/25/2014I made reservations on line. I left a note in the email that we had a two year old with us. The table was set up wiith all the dinner ware and a booster seat. We thought that was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/24/2014Hereford House has never let us down. A date night favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014Our visit to Hereford house was great. We had a reservation so when we arrived, we walked straight to our table. The service was excellent and the filet and KC Strip were excellent. We will definitely go back! So glad that Independence has such a great steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT HAPPENED???64064Dined on 1/23/2014Kinda bummed about Hereford House. Used to be THE place for steak. Anymore, the food is average. Excellent service. Great atmosphere. But there are far better steak places in KC.
- Great FoodKarenDined on 1/22/2014The Stuffed Chicken Picatta has a new sauce but it's still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!Pebbles66Dined on 1/22/2014We loved our visit to The Hereford House! We were seated in a private booth near the fireplace and it was just a very cozy and warm atmosphere. The food was superb and I was so happy to learn that they had Bearnaise sauce for my steak! Thank you, Hereford House, for providing the perfect place for a romantic lunch with my husband!Special Features:
- Consistently good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/18/2014We visited Hereford House for a special occasion, and were very pleased. Our server, Vicki, recommended an excellent bottle of wine based on our preferences. We ordered the dinner for two, and everything was perfect from appetizer to dessert. Great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Predictable QualityrodcfpDined on 1/18/2014The food quality remains the same at this great mid-range steakhouse. It's no Ruth's Chris but the quality is there as well as value. Reservations are recommended on the weekend because it tends to fill up on Friday and Saturday evening. Most of the servers are seasoned veterans and can meet your special request. You can't go wrong with the Prime Rib. The mashed sweet potatoes with pecan butter are superb. Don't miss the white chocolate bread putting, and for an extra zing have it flambé .Special Features:
- Night out with FriendsAngelDined on 1/18/2014Good food, great bloody mary's, and great friends equal a night out at Hereford House. I think they are a little pricey on somethings like appetizers for what you get but other than that they are pretty reasonable price wise. They certainly are no Ruth's Chris but steaks are pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost ruined birthdayWilliamDined on 1/18/2014Dined there for my wife's birthday. She has always loved the salmon there but this dining experience was not up to the lofty standards we've come to expect from the Hereford House. The food was brought to our table and it was luke warm at best. The waitress attempted several times to assist us by having the food warmed again. Finally, she had one of the sides brought out piping hot. By then, my wife had become disenchanted and just asked for her food to be placed in containers to be brought home. She had been looking forward to dining there the entire day and it was a bit of a letdown for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst seating possiblerpyumDined on 1/18/2014We were placed in the only 6-seater spot which was a booth, which was fine. BUT, if you needed to get out you had to look both ways because you may have gotten taken out by one of the servers and help were flying past. Not only the busyness of it, but it was so loud due to the kitchen noise & server chatter. It wasn't an energetic loud as you would expect with the selection above, but an annoyance loud and NOT relaxing. Obviously they have rooms that hold 6 or more. Make sure you ask for one of those so you don't have such a unpleasant dining experience. Service was very fair. Have had better. Had to wait a 1/2 hour just for someone to come to us with drinks--AND we had a 4:45 reservation. Not the busiest time of meal to have service.Special Features:
- hereford indepdandmDined on 1/17/2014service good, strip was severly lacking. Both in density and quality of product. The salmon was really good. Side dishes are good as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food - Awesome AtmosphereJasonDined on 1/15/2014Food was awesome - whole family loved it. Server was attentive and prompt and funny. Food was cooked perfectly and presented in a appeasing manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, gotHithereDined on 1/4/2014Good food, good service, got seated right away with the reservation in our own quiet roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.