701 Saint Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.herbsaint.com/
- Phone: (504) 524-4114
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM Bistro: Monday - Friday: 1:30 PM - 5:00 PM Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donald Link
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining seats up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Colin O'Neill or Sean Perkins 5045244114
A word from Herbsaint
Chef Donald Link's Herbsaint Bar and Restaurant on historic Saint Charles Avenue features an acclaimed menu with French and Italian-inspired, yet distinctive Southern dishes and a dynamic wine list in a modern bistro setting. Private dining with customized menu is available for up to 50 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Herbsaint - Best Restaurants in Warehouse District ›
Herbsaint reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (42)notable wine list (37)great for lunch (31)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (27)good for groups (23)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- bepsDined on 11/17/2014They just had some issues with overflow on a Monday. We had a reservation for 7:30...... we're not seated for 20 minutes: and only because we took a table next to the front door and braved the wintry breezes. Food: incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodstrohjVIPDined on 11/17/2014A Must if you want to impress a date.. the food is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodNolarootsgalDined on 11/13/2014Herbsaint is one of my favorite New Orleans upscale restaurants that isn't too fussy. Over the years, the food quality has always been excellent and consistent. Like all the small plate options - nice touch on the menu. Cozy little bar too, off to the side of the dining area. Decent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They don't want you to hang around...FQGirlVIPDined on 11/13/2014Met friends for dinner that I haven't seen in a long time. The food was very good, but as the restaurant filled up with people waiting, we were basically asked to abandon the table. We quickly jumped up, apologized and than left. In Europe when you book a table, it's yours for the night. Not here........I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our one New Orleans stopWandererVIPDined on 11/5/2014We were passing through the city, only had time for lunch. A friend recommended Herbsaint, we were not disappointed! Located in the business district, we went for outside seating ... had our dog with us, the outside seating is dog friendly ... enjoyed our lunch as the tram cars and the rest of NO went on around us. The gumbo is excellent, selected a number of small plates, but we would need go back again to do the menu justice. Overall, a great place, gave us a peek at the finer dining options in NO ... resolved we must go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my New Orleans short listSazeracDined on 11/3/2014Herbsaint has been on my New Orleans short list for years (we lived there for decades). On my frequent trips back I make it a point to dine there if at all possible. The challenge is to tear yourself away from your old favorites on the menu to try the new additions, but it is a no risk adventure because you know a new favorite is just a taste away. Well prepared cocktails, solid wine selections, distinctive menu and, invariably, attentive service. Always.Special Features:
- Over priced with amatuer serviceMmmFoodDined on 11/1/2014Showed for our 6pm reservation at 5:30, there was literally 1 table sat in the entire restaurant but were told we should wait for our table to be ready. Went and sat at the bar for 15 minutes then was told our table was ready though no one had done anything to the room at all. Duck Confit was inexplicably dry and overcooked (didn't know possible). Best part was the bottle of wine which was still over-priced even for an upscale restaurant.
- It was okalexharveyDined on 10/31/2014I've been here a few times and the food tasted kind of bland. I enjoyed the watermelon soup with crab, the rest needed finishing salt or just a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gazpacho was amazing.CarmaDined on 10/30/2014The food was wonderful and staff attentive. The noise level is rather high but adds to upbeat atmosphere Would defiantly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedJimmyDined on 10/30/2014The service was terrible and the food was decent. For years I have heard nothing but stellar reviews from anyone who has ever eaten there. I can only assume that it was an isolated bad day but it was major disappointment.
- Business MealdiscoveringnolaDined on 10/27/2014Tried this based in a recommendation from a friend. Flounder special was delicious with a generous portion. Bean soup flavorful and brothy. Malted chocolate mousse was perfection. Two negatives: service was a little too attentive and the space can get a little noisy. Next time I'll try an outside table to watch the streetcars go by. Overall, a nice find that will go on my rotation list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot recommend - awful experienceGeauxsaintsVIPDined on 10/25/2014Always enjoyed going here but not this time. Ignored for the first 5minutes after seated, then someone said 'has anyone spoken to you yet?' Went downhill. Service was VERY slow. Spaghetti appetizer was good, but the main course took almost an hour. Server said "sorry but we have large party ahead of you." Thought food would make up for it. Wrong again. The steak was drowned in olive oil and overcooked. Fries lukewarm. Coffee came out ice cold. Server apologized and said "sorry we don't use a warmer." The most insulting was other server dropped the bill on table without saying anything or asking how dinner was. Comped desserts after complained but still paid $200 for awful experience. Too many options in town. Don't plan on returning.
- Hour wait kills the eveningnola2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014A disappointing evening. We had a 9:00pm reservation and were not seated until 10:00pm. Several inquiries were met with meaningless comments like "people aren't leaving" and a very un-New Orleans like curtness. And there was no attempt to compensate us in any way - no picking up our bar tab, a comp bottle of wine, a free dessert or an after dinner drink - any of these would have appeased us. This was particularly irritating because we had out-of-town guests. We've been to Herbsaint several times (we live nearby), and the food is always great, but something has changed.
- delicious!AJinDCVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were in town for a conference and some colleagues and I decided to go here for our last meal in NOLA. It didn't disappoint! The duck confit, braised short rib, gnocchi, chicken and sausage gumbo, coconut custard pie - all divine. My shrimp were a little overcooked but the greens and grits so good I was still in good heaven. For cocktails ask for the French 75 (with cognac). Service, food - everything was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but priceyDiningDiva1VIPDined on 10/23/2014Herbsaint has some great food but we were disappointed with the fish special we tried the night we visited. As part of the Link group of restaurants, this one didn't "wow" us as much. Salads and appetizers were very good. It was a bit pricey but overall it was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodmarienkaferDined on 10/21/2014Hadn't been in a year, but it was delicious again. Service was bumpy but it was very busy for a Tuesday night (a huge group of convention center people or similar arrived just after us) so we understood.Special Features:
- Consistently delightfulJderekreeseDined on 10/20/2014We always try to go here when in NOLA - food is always excellent and unique. Service always friendly and knowledgeable. My wife's favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NO Separate Check PatronsEpicureistDined on 10/20/2014Herbsaint's policy against separate checks on the same table unfortunately cost them revenue that would have been well over double the original check. I travel with my husband on business. His company pays for his dinner and I use our private card to pay for my dinner, drinks and dessert. Because of the "No Separate Check" policy, dinner that night consisted of a dinner salad and water for me and a main course and water for my husband. Even after explaining our situation to the waitress she seemed unimpressed and even slightly annoyed by our request. And when I told her I was only going to have a dinner salad she stated "Is that ALL!" as if I was obligated to meet a plate quota. Too bad their policy against separate checks costs them $$$Special Features:
- Yum!KLMOVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food at Herbsaint was delicious, but the service was lacking. Started with the gnocchi with pancetta app - the gnocchi was just ok, a bit on the dry side and not among the best I have had, but the little bits of pancetta in it were amazing. The duck confit entree and the banana tart dessert were wonderful. The only down side was the service - we hardly saw our server after he took our order. A different person brought out all our courses, and our server maybe checked on us once the entire time. Even though we don't liked to be rushed, the server was sooo slow on everything, from bringing over a menu, to bringing a dessert menu and then the check. This is not the level of restaurant where you expect to spend 2 hours on dinner.Special Features:
- The icing on the cake!HHandbasketDined on 10/18/2014Herbsaint was our last stop on a 4 day "eating marathon" in New Orleans, and we clearly saved the best for last. Stellar everything; service, cocktails and food. Oh my God, the food. We were a party of four and everyone was happy. I had two small plates, the gnocchi with bacon and parmesan broth and a short rib with rosti potatoes, salsa verde and horseradish cream. I wanted seconds on both. Two people had the flounder special and the other had shrimp with greens and grits. EVERYTHING was so good. Their pastry chef is gifted, and they have nice drink pairings with their desserts. I would go again (and again and again) and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to reputationRichardVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our best dining experience in New Orleans. Innovative menu. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotMeladavDined on 10/13/2014Drum and soft shell crab entrees both very good! Great service Dry rose wine flight very enjoyable.Special Features:
- fabulous food and atmospherejagredDined on 10/11/2014Great ambience, live music that moves around the room and exquisite food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014It was just perfect from the begining till the end. The fish was top notch!.Special Features:
- Great once againjj1000Dined on 10/8/2014Realized we had been here 4 years ago, food is better. Great ambiance and excellent staffSpecial Features:
- great food but slownicknameVIPDined on 10/8/2014Herbsaint has always been a favorite of my son, so when in town we went back. The food was excellent especially the rabbit, pasta with egg, and duck. The restaurant is always crowded and noisy. The courses come out a little too slow. They should work on this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!garyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great meal on Friday. Sat outside and watched the people and streetcars go by. The tempura fried soft shell crab was tremendous. Also the tuna crudo might have been the freshest and best tuna we have ever had. The buttermilk dressing is always great. Some of the best, if not the best, gumbo in town.Special Features:
- Great for a date night!Luv2dineDined on 10/1/2014Everything was great here! The service especially! I've always heard great things about this place and it definitely doesn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated classELAPeteVIPDined on 10/1/2014Wow. Watermelon gazpacho with jumbo lump crab. Inspired. Wow. Chicken meatballs on rice cooked in preserved lemons. That's the first and probably last time I'd say, "make sure to get the chicken meatballs." Wow. Soft shell crab on a bed of coleslaw drizzled in spicy chili. Just - wow. Wow. Service that was pleasant, professional, understated, and excellent. Tied up in a cozy spot off the beaten track from the main tourist scene where you can enjoy a taste of a more civilized NOLA.Special Features:
- DeliciosoOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/30/2014Every single bite was perfect and delicious. Some very special wines by the glass...Henriot NV and several Burgundy...even a Grand Cru. The baked Asiago is a must!! And we had a shrimp and veggie paella-type appetizer which was great. Then I had the duck confit...perfect. It was a really wonderful meal and I would definitely do it again.Special Features:
- Creative foodsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Herbsaint is in the top 3 or 4 restaurants in my dining experience of the last 5 years. My wife and I shared five small plates, each of which was distinctive, creatively done, nicely presented and contained a flavor surprise and/or texture. The wine list is extensive but not overwhelming. The wait staff was friendly, well informed and willing to answer questions about a dish even after it had been served. If you are seeking a basic meat or seafood dinner, this is not the place to go. If you are wishing for fine and creative dining, then it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKshegeeDined on 9/20/2014Hard to tell if we just built this dinner up in our minds and then were disappointed or not. We expected that the duck wouldn't be burnt and dry, my entree was cold and the service as choppy at best. After hearing good things online and from some friends, this isn't what we had anticipated. Then, it always comes down to that final question, would you go back? No, there's just too many other restaurants in this area that perform consistently and you know it's not going to be a gamble. Sorry guys, really wanted you to be memorable.
- dependableJoMaDined on 9/15/2014you know what you will get here and I like it The restaurant had an physical update and I do wish so did the menu offerings. I enjoy my faves on the menu though do think it needs a change upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- olddominosVIPDined on 9/13/2014love the new look, glad the menu didn't change.....has been on my top ten forever.....Special Features:
- Always a great mealRickDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful food. Menu has something for everyone. Consistent food quality. Great gumbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS! and Wonderful Servicesearchin4foodgasmsDined on 9/10/2014We had a ridiculously amazing meal here. Ordered 10 plates between 2 of us, each of which was unique and incredibly flavorful. I had a foodgasm. The service was sharp, friendly, showed that they love the food and the restaurant too. Very classy, but a fun and not-stuffy place. Will save it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodMichaelJWDined on 9/10/2014Every time I have been to this restaurant the food has always been excellent. It is a nice size with a very elegant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Quaint with great food and serviceNewToNOLADined on 9/6/2014This is quaint little neighborhood place fit for foodies. The chicken and andouille gumbo is amazing. The Grilled G.f. Farms chicken was very good - tender, juicy and flavorful. The service was attentive without being annoying. The place is small and on the edge of the Garden District. Right on the St. Charles Ave. streetcar line. A 3-minute streetcar ride or 15-20 minute walk from the Ritz-Carlton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great fine dining placeLovingGADined on 9/3/2014You cannot go wrong here. All items are outstanding. Even their vegetarian entries are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceTNOLADined on 9/2/2014Really enjoy this place for business lunches. Great service and can accommodate groups as well as good for two.Special Features: