Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge
1702 Yakona Rd
Parkville, MD 21234Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.herbandsoul.net/
- Phone: (410) 668-1886
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday - 4p - 10p
Sunday - Coming Soon!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Fusion / Eclectic, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef David Thomas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering options available, please contact to inquire about specific options.
- Private Party Facilities: Award wining food with an intimate ambiance, Herb & Soul is not just secluded, but personal, allowing our guests the intimacy their gatherings deserve. Choose Herb & Soul and let us make your large gathering memorable.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon Taylor 8886530770
- Entertainment: Every Saturday we feature live jazz, blues, soul, or independent artists. There is never a cover fee for our opentable patrons. We provide an intimate and warm dining experience with live entertainment. Schedule of upcoming performers is available on our website.
- Special Events: Live Jazz/Acoustic/Blues/Soul/Indie - Saturday's 7:30 to 9:30pm
A word from Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge
Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe is truly a labor of love. Though we've won many awards and have garnered some awesome reviews and ratings, we don't pride ourselves as a fine-dining establishment or a trendy eatery. We pride ourselves as a family. When we open our doors for dine-in service on Friday's and Saturday's it is our goal to make you feel as if you are dining with your closest friends and family because, to us, that's who you are. We hearken back to the days when dinner involved not only food but, conversation and warmth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Towson ›
Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (20)special occasion (14)romantic (12)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Enjoyable mealLaxmomDined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed eating here for the first time. Reservations needed to ensure a table on weekends. The scallops and quinoa were good, but too much spice on the scallops. The 3 course meal was a good price and allowed us to taste what this restaurant has to offer. The dessert egg rolls were unbelievably yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful attention to detailShazVIPDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant is byob, so I planned a wine tasting. I called the chef who recommended the order of wines and made suggestions on what to order with each wine. He went out of the way to prepare special dishes, including vegetarian options for me. Everyone at the table LOVED every dish, FIVE courses. And then the kicker? It was so reasonably priced, my eyes bugged out at the end. Plus, there was excellent nonintrusive live music in the background. And the hostess is charming as can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Had been meaning to try out H&S for a long time after it was recommended by a friend. Finally made it to find excellent, very interesting food, a fun vibe, and interesting crowd of people. The menu has locally sourced, organic items. Combination upscale soul food. Live jazz band was a bonus. Takara Brothers salted carmel ice cream is beyond amazing! Restaurant is BYOB.Special Features:
- Great new spotFoodie27Dined on 10/3/2014We have been wanting to try Herb and Soul for awhile now and finally took the plunge Friday night. The food was fantastic, authentic southern cuisine. The fried chicken and creamed kale were amazing! The best part had to be dessert, a pecan pie cobbler with chai ice cream was probably one of the best desserts I have ever had. I am hoping this place gets the attention it deserves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is off rotationTazmomDined on 9/27/2014There are no words for the extent of my disappointment. I actually was tearful. The good first..the wait staff was polite. The deviled eggs were good. Otherwise, the food was simply terrible. Entirely different from my original experience. I invited important guest to dinner and raved about the food for two weeks prior. The dinner biscuits were not edible, the chicken fingers were under cooked, the fries soggy, the squash was burned and not edible, the chicken was season less and fried too hard, my husband did not enjoy the catfish. I was so embarrassed. We probably will not return and I will not recommend my friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014When we arrived at this restaurant I thought we might have made a mistake. The outside is far from welcoming, but don't be discouraged. The inside is delightful, starting with a warm welcome from the staff. Our waitress was attentive and enthusiastic about both the restaurant and the food served. She was delightful. The food was imaginative and delicious. The chicken with a black strap molasses barbecue sauce was a real standout. I found the cornmeal encrusted fish somewhat dry, but everything else we had was very good. Desserts were to die for. Be sure to save room to at least share several. We were there on a Saturday evening and they had a jazz duo that we enjoyed. I recommend this restaurant and we plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/20/2014Dinner including apps were outstanding; however, the dessert was not quite up to par with the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Delicious food; a little loudFamilyTrvlDined on 9/13/2014As part of a party of four on a Sat night, we were absolutely delighted with Herb&Soul's food and general ambience. As a farm to table themed southern style eatery, they have interesting menu items; all of the ones we tried were delicious. Our only difficulty was in being unable to converse without shouting a bit, as the two talented guitarists were playing just a little too loudly to allow for talking. Although we loved the food and liked the jazzy/bluesy music, it was nonetheless a relief when they took a break and we could speak normally.Special Features:
- christianVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at Herb & Soul and overall we were pretty impressed! Friendly service by both our server and the hostess. Interesting menu with some not so common options to pick from. Everything we ordered was prepared well and flavorful. Peach Bread Pudding to end the meal was excellent. We did not realize they had live music (and I must admit we are not fans of live music during dinner) but I must confess the music was not bothersome at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as usual!NopeDined on 9/12/2014How lucky we are to live just a few miles from this food lover's paradise. The chef works magic in that kitchen, and the staff is happy to share the magic with you. All 3 of us enjoyed our dinners, including some of the best fried chicken I've ever tasted, excellent blackened salmon, and a Brown Sugar Pie that was so amazing I can't begin to describe it to you. We are huge fans of this restaurant, and the BYOB status is an extra plus to keep the bill manageable and the dinner lively! Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I cannot wait to return!TazmomDined on 8/23/2014The food was great. Honestly, it was so good, I could eat again right now. The ambiance was wonderful. The music was great! Cass was warm and friendly. Our waiter was uninterested in service and he was the only negative. I am hoping that is not usual and that the waitstaff was just a little overwhelmed. I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 because of the service, specifically the waiter. I have emailed all my foodie friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Friendly FoodOldschoolfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Limited menu the night we went, because of Restaurant Week. Chicken and Catfish..... perfectly cooked!! I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night SpotAprilMDined on 8/16/2014I became aware of this restaurant because of their wonderful stall at the Farmer's Market. The was delicious and I decided to take my husband on a Saturday evening when the restaurant features live music. The location is tucked away on a side street and looks unassuming. The interior has a laid back intimate feel and tastefully, but simply decorated. Food was extremely fresh and the offerings were a foodies' delight. The menu understandably changes according to what's in season. The portions are enough to make you feel satisfied and I felt refreshed afterwards. Great Spot. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMisFoodieDined on 8/16/2014This spot is always on point, and it is owned and operated by young folks who are talented, extremely professional, and man can they cook. This is not your typical soul food joint, and it can't be with its Farm to Table menu and classy urban ambiance which is wonderful. Prices are not bad at all, worthy portions, plus they have small plates. And the biscuits with an arrange of different types of butters are THE TRUTH!!Special Features:
- DeliciousJennDined on 8/13/2014The food was delicious! We got a ton of food for the price. The staff was very accommodating, when my friends were late. I've been there one other time before, and I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- salivatorDined on 8/2/2014Love everything about this restaurant! Just wish it were open more hours.Special Features:
- Best Food in BaltimoreMrsBohDined on 8/1/2014The service is flawless and you always feel like family. The food is absolutely the best in the area. Each dish is an experience in the best way possible. The BYOB nature of the restaurant makes 'splurging' on a night out much more reasonable as well. Definitely try all the small plates!Special Features:
- BBQ NightCommonwealthDined on 7/29/2014My friends and I went to Herb & Soul Gastro Café and Lounge on Tuesday night which is barbeque night. We got the ribs (1/2 rack each) and 4 sides with corn muffins. The muffins were good as well as several of the sides (cucumber salad, potato salad and barbeque beans). My ribs were fatty but tasty. The atmosphere was cozy and relax and our waitress was very attentive. We are planning to go back for a night with the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just goHappy89Dined on 7/26/2014It really is an AMAZING, Unique and special place. You will not regret itSpecial Features:
- Unexpected GemSandy6Dined on 7/23/2014If u want something a little off the main stream path... This is it! I'm a little afraid to let others in on my new GEM! Bring your own bottle of wine and listen to live music (select nights) while u feast on delectable local farm to table fare. Can't beat it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 113 reviews are from the Herb & Soul Gastro Cafe & Lounge reviews archive.
- BBQ nightmlanedersDined on 7/22/2014We went on a Tuesday which is BBQ night. All of the food was AMAZING! Our waitress Cass was very knowledgeable and friendly. They did not have a specific kids menu, but still made our daughter chicken and fries.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceFHotayDined on 7/22/2014We went to Herb & Soul for True Cue (BBQ night). We ordered deviled eggs & frog legs for an appetizer, along with Habanero Mint Sweet Tea. All 3 were excellent. For an entrée were ordered Black Molasses Ribs & Brisket with a side of Old Bay Potato Salad. The Ribs fell off the bone with just a fork and were out of this world. The Brisket was tender and delicious as was the potato salad. The service is top notch and the Manager (Cass) served us. She was very friendly and had a great sense of humor. Would recommend to anyone who is a Foodie. A nice comfortable, feel at home place where you are not rushed, and can enjoy every bite. So good that we ended up going back the next day for dinner for Bistro Burger Wednesday. Wild Boar & lamb burgersSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014We took our grandsons to this restaurant because they wanted fried catfish. They were very happy with their food. We have dined here many times and are never disappointed. The chief is not afraid to think out of the box and the result is very interesting, delicious food that looks and tastes great. I had the shrimp and polenta dish which was seasoned to perfection.Special Features:
- Tries HardSharbotDined on 7/10/2014Crab Cake - Shredded rather than lump, deep fried, over cooked and tiny. Crab is so delicate in structure and flavor that it just does not lend itself to deep frying. The hoppin' john was perfectly cooked (not too mushy) but the sauce was heavy, lacking in flavor and tasted like it came out of a bottle. The heirloom tomato salad was well presented, but used small, cocktail tomatoes, about 4 of them cut in half spread out across a long plate. I am not a heavy eater, I know it is early in the season for full-size tomatoes, but it was thin. The peach cobbler was tasty and the sundaes around the table were consumed with appreciation. Service was great. We will give it one more try. The music on Sat looks interesting.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!EKD11Dined on 7/2/2014Bistro Burger Night (Wednesday nights) was divine. There were nearly a dozen burgers to choose from--with huge variety in meat (or non-meat!) and in culinary themes. I had the "Seoul Burger"--a bison burger with ginger aioli and kale kimchi. Both of my dining partners had the lamb burger, which included tzatziki, cucumbers, and mint, I believe. The french fries were hot out of the fryer and clearly hand-cut. We also ordered a some hand rolls and the kale salad as appetizers, and both were uniquely delicious. It's the little things that this restaurant does so well--duck fat vinaigrette on an otherwise-simple salad? SO GOOD! Tonya also made some gluten-free beinigets for me. After having nothing donut-like for 6 years, I was in heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We went to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday. It was a great night. Live music and good food. In addition to good service. It had a great lounge feel with out having to go into the city to find. Great for a date night or girls night out.Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its coverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is the outside appearance....its not bad but not what u expect but once u enter it's nice food is great dinner for 2 was abt 60 bucks for 2 entrees drinks and desert peach cobbler and vanilla bean was to die for.....love u Heather S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local favorite!NopeDined on 6/18/2014It helps that H&S is about 5 minutes from home... but I would drive 50 for this food! Everything is delicious and creative. On our most recent trip, we had excellent service, and even a visit from the chef. We can't recommend this place to enough people. Be sure to try the Herb & Soul Rolls and Chicken and Waffles, even if you share the appetizers all around your table! (A BYOB restaurant is also a fantastic find, and helps keep the bill from creeping too high!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must go toKarenDined on 6/14/2014What a great experience. Outstanding food and presentation, great service, friendly staff, and music to beat. Not a complaint to be made. Highly recommend a visit to Herb & Soul. Hope this establishment will endure as we do plan to return.Special Features:
- Best Kept SecretsilkebrownDined on 6/13/2014This was my second visit to Herb & Soul. The staff makes you feel warm welcomed. The good is excellent. Cant wait to go again this time on a night when they have entertainmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseSteveVIPDined on 6/11/2014Stumbled across this place here on Open Table. Wonderful food and service. Great ambience and music. Wish it was in a better part of town. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Deliciouske38Dined on 6/8/2014Delicious - seriously, that is all that needs to be said. But just in case it isn't enough to say - try the bacon beignets and house made lemonade. And the cornbread. And the waffles...and...Special Features:
- Feels like Home2ndHelpingDined on 6/6/2014You get great food with very little pretense at Herb & Soul. The live music on Saturdays only makes the experience more magical.Special Features:
- My First Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Southern Panzanella Salad Was perfect beginning to stave off hunger. Wagon Wheel Farms Lamb Chops, roasted pepper spoon bread and kale was flavorful and filling. Peach Cobbler topped with ice cream was just the right combination of sweet and flavor. Every dish was delicious and the portions were perfect! The jazz band, Blue Spiral, was excellent! I will definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It! Returning Very Soon!ConnieDined on 5/31/2014Absolutely loved the chicken and waffles, the homemade biscuits, agave water, steak and duck fried potatoes. Desserts fantastic! Beignets were enough to take home. Less powdered sugar than Cafe Du Monde but delicious!!! French toast tiramisu topped with bacon was also great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knowfood2Dined on 5/10/2014It was not a great experience- no consistency! 6:30pm reservation and out of two entrees already!? The server said it was one of the breaks of "Farm to Table" dining! No not really!
- More ChoicesTeacherDined on 5/10/2014The menu choices were limited. Food was good and hot. More choices are needed for dessert. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/9/2014This is our third visit and this restaurant just never disappoints. My husband started with the Fisherman Stew which was particularly delicious. I ordered the Flank BBQ Steak with Fried Rice which was really great - packed with flavor and cooked to my exact request. I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh lemonade which was infused with ginger and rosemary. My husband ordered his favorite - the Fried Chicken with Mac and Cheese. Our waiter Brad was fantastic! He is knowledgeable, always has good suggestions and is very efficient and attentive. All of the other staff is friendly and attentive as well - generally stopping at tables to check in with everyone. I highly recommend this restaurant. Food is great at good prices and you can BYOB.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014We wanted to go some place that we had not been. I heard that Herb & Soul was a great place for Sunday and they were right. I had waffles and chicken. It was very good. The staff was friendly and welcoming. I give it four stars, but you decide for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Dined In!NopeDined on 5/2/2014After having tried carry out and delivery from Herb & Soul over the past year or so, I finally had a chance to dine in, and we had a fantastic time! The staff sparkles with courtesy and enthusiasm, and the menu is chock full of delicious choices. The chicken & waffles are heavenly, as are all of the other small plates we tried, and the Pork Tenderloin special was one of the best pieces of pork I have ever eaten. The desserts were also tremendous, and I can't wait to come back. Getting a table can sometimes be tricky due to space limitations, but it is well worth a little planning ahead. Also LOVE that it is a BYOB!!Special Features: