557 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (212) 686-8080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Hendriks
Hendriks is a Contemporary American restaurant located in New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hendriks reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good restaurant, good valueflocDined on 11/14/2014Everything was good but the coffee was not. We were at first served something that looked and tasted like hot milk. Sent it back and got the cappuccino that we had originally ordered , but it was still hard to taste the coffee . Coffee should always be good in a good restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lackinghappyrockVIPDined on 10/26/2014The waitress had trouble pronouncing the names of food (such as basil and herbs), which points to a lack of experience and inadequate training, and would foreshadow the unimpressive service that followed that evening. The delivery of entrees took well over 20 mins from when appetizers were cleared, and water service was slow most of the meal. Moreover, it wasn't until the fish was already cooking that a waiter came over to inform us that they were out of sea bass and would, instead, be serving halibut. Yes, not a big deal, but it would have been much more professional to ask beforehand. With all that said, the prices are reasonable and the food was good, albeit my ravioli was slightly under-cooked and a fellow guest's fish, over-cooked.Special Features:
- Not special enough to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014I went for a Sunday brunch with my husband, parents, and grandmother. It was crowded so I would expect to wait a few minutes to get seated but there was no hostess to be found for a while. Two of the people at my table have hearing difficulties and it was so loud in the restaurant we couldn't have a conversation. My husband ordered the huevos rancheros which says it comes with chorizo sausage on the menu which is why he ordered it. It came out with more of a breakfast sausage and when he inquired they told him that's what they serve it with. The french toast that I got was ok, we do it better at home. We usually only go out to restaurants if we can't do it better at home so we won't be coming back here.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 10/24/2014Good If you live in the neighborhood Would not travel here otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HendriksgoldsminnyVIPDined on 10/16/2014Our experience was great they were able to accommodate a party of eight and did not rush us to order. Everyone was very pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014My son told me this is his favorite place to eat, and now I can understand why. We ordered off the brunch menu, and everything was cooked to specifications and delicious. Coffee refills were plentiful and the waitstaff and manager made sure we had everything we needed. Prices are more than reasonable and servings were very generous. A real neighborhood gem. We will be back.Special Features:
- Some hits, some missesSaraVIPDined on 9/28/2014Overall an okay experience. Convenient neighborhood location but food was nothing special.
- FAV LOCAL SPOT IN MURRAY HILLBirthdayDinnerDined on 8/8/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in this area. The food is always great ! The menu mixes it up a little too. I have been here four times now and each time the menu has been different (which means I have tried different selections - not just ordered the same thing cuz I liked it last time). The decor is trendy, the lighting is subtle, the extended bar area is very nice. The service was attentive. The food is always delicious. Super cocktails too ! They are incredibly nice - always accommodating - never make you feel unwelcome. I have no problems recommending this restaurant to anyone ! Will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, cool barBrosiedonDined on 7/29/2014The bar and restaurant are very stylish. The service for dinner could have been faster but with a group of 6 it wasn't immediately noticeable. Very easy to talk to each other, not too noisy which is rare for NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Hendriks reviews archive.
- Great Business Lunch SpotIUtravelerDined on 7/23/2014My first time dining at Hendriks and it was fabulous. The waiter was spot on with the recommendations. He knew the food and made a great wine pairing. Definitely a hidden gem in Murray Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local placeLocalDined on 6/25/2014We had a very enjoyable meal at dinner and Saturday brunch at Hendriks. It was great to eat locally and a place that's not a tourist spot. Good food and really attentive staff. I'd recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/24/2014The food was good and our server was excellent but the noise level was ridiculously loud. When we arrived there was no music at all, just the noise of people talking and it was very nice. Then the music went on. When we asked the manager if he would turn the volume down a little, he was kind enough to do that for us, but the volume went back up before we had finished our meal. The odd thing was that once they added the loud music it was never as crowded as when we first arrived. I don't know why they think having deafeningly loud music is an asset. We would not go back. I would say the noise level was "energetic +++
- Nice addition to the neighborhoodorthochickVIPDined on 6/24/2014This space was vacant for a while and it's nice to see a good restaurant at 37 and 3rd. Menu with a nice selection. The food was well prepared and yummy. Priced reasonably. Will certainly go there again.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014Had the baby back ribs and needed to cut them apart, everyone else's food and the apps were good though, I just picked the wrong entree. Great atmosphere and decor, awesome to grab a drink and chill. Service was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!ViajeroDined on 6/15/2014Food was good but service was exceptional with nice ambiance!!!
- Great findeatingaroundNYDined on 5/31/2014We were surprised to learn that one of our favorite restaurants closed. We had to find a new place to celebrate our daughters 18th birthday and graduation. I searched several apps and found Hendricks. Took a chance that it would be great and it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & prices, great cocktailsKristinRDined on 5/31/2014This is a cozy place with a small, but well-executed, menu. Prices are pretty reasonable given the area it's in, and I tried several of my party's plates and thought they were all quite good. The specialty cocktails they offer are all very exceptional and the bartender made them strong - all fine by me, but certainly something to be aware of if you're not a fan of stronger cocktails. It's got a dressy, yet cozy feel. I made reservations because I brought a larger group, but was pretty surprised at the size of the place and how many tables were left. Reservations probably not necessary for 2-4 people.Special Features:
- Hendrik's lunchRichDVIPDined on 5/19/2014Very nice setting on 3rd Ave. Informal dining area, very pleasant service, food was very good. Excellent for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable on 3rd Avenue and 37thGovernorDined on 5/8/2014Hendricks opens its doors to all. The menu and food are right on. Just what you need when meeting friends for a pleasant lunch Crab cakes make you feel like your in Maryland. Chris the waiter pays attention to delivering a complete experienceSpecial Features:
- What a gem!!Emily19Dined on 4/30/2014Found Hendriks from online reviews, and so glad we did! We had only 2 nights in Manhattan, yet we broke our own rule and went to Hendriks both nights, it was that good! Such interesting combinations in their dishes, but sooo tasty. The portions are big enough for leftovers, yet the prices are very un-NYC (so reasonable). DO NOT MISS the braised short ribs, they will melt in your mouth. But everything we had, we would gladly order again. Do yourself a favor and go to Hendriks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish DinnerLGeatsVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went here with a couple of friends. I have passed by it a few times as I live in the area but had never tried it out. The inside is cute and classy but not overdone. The service was a little slow at first but picked up once we ordered food, which came out very quickly. The three of us were all pleased with our meals. The food was cooked well and the flavor profiles were spot on. They have a decent cocktail list as well as beer and wines and the bar area is cozy if you wanted to just come in for a drink. I will definitely put it on my neighborhood rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Job well doneSirLDined on 4/10/2014Our server, Chris, was patient with us fielding several questions and letting us wait for our very late friends. The dishes were perfect. Free range chicken was tender and seasoned. My wife shared a taste of her Sea Bass with all. Wonderful! The remaining main dish on the table was a flat iron steak. That too was perfection - to the glance and taste buds. Nice wine choices. My only unfulfilled wish - lack of craft beers, specifically stoudts or porters. Thanks Chris and to Hendricks - Cheers for a job well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around good place!AlsalDined on 3/29/2014Tasteful but modern décor, great location, diverse menu, really good food with large servings at reasonable prices, nice wines at very fair prices and good overall service. What more can you ask for, will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, not a long butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2014Good service, not a long but more than adequate wine list and great osso bucco. Tyis is a low key but good choice for neighborhood dining - I'll be back.Special Features:
- good neighborhood restaurantTirianVIPDined on 3/13/2014Very good food and great prices. Many wines available at <$40. Would def go back to.Special Features:
- Great Chef Great Foodsrk49VIPDined on 3/7/2014Went for dinner Saturday night. Party of 6. Seated right away. Hostess friendly. Waitstaff nice. Pros Food Friendliness of Staff Hands on Manager All fish dishes cooked perfectly. Loved the sides on the dish. Everyone enjoyed their apps as well. Cons Runners had no idea who ordered what food. Put food down (apps and entrees) and then had to be told who ordered what. We are guessing our waiter messed up but not sure where the blame lies. Would go back again for sure. Needs to iron out that one kink.
- Table for 6DrNickVIPDined on 3/1/2014Six person reservation for a Saturday night turned out wonderfully. The salads are creative and delicious (recommend kale salad and the lobster salad- which has a significant amount of claw meat). The calamari appetizer was excellent. For dinner I had the swordfish special which was perfectly prepared with a beet risotto. The lobster risotto looked amazing and got top scores from the two people who ordered it it. The desserts were good; flowerless chocolate cake, and Tirimisu was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Addition To Murray HillMJBNYCVIPDined on 2/26/2014There are just not enough places like this through out Murray Hill and Kips Bay. The decor is wonderful, classy and not overpowering. The menu has enough variety to satisfy everyone and the wine list is very good. Our service was great and enjoyed the ability to speak without overbearing music, noise or TV sports.Special Features:
- ChillyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2014Don't sit near the door - that's really the only thing that's wrong - it was too cold in the restaurant... Food great (fennel - chorizo-potato soup is fantastic)..... Personnel just the right kind of attentive (not too much - not too little) Not too loud - can have a lunch conversation with clients....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJamesVIPDined on 2/16/2014Everything was very tasty but service was slow and seemed a bit mixed up about who was doing what. If you are patient and just there for the good you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new addition to Murray HillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2014We went to Hendrix with a group of six. First time at the restaurant. Wanted to check it out. Enjoyed the ambience, the food, the service. Good new place that isn't a bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every way!HetzyDined on 1/15/2014I couldn't have been more pleased with my experience at Hendriks. The food was delicious -- I recommend the pumpkin ravioli I had for lunch -- and the service was exceptional. I must admit I'm partial to restaurants where my water glass is refilled in a timely way and I never had to look around for the waiter or busboy -- he was always there in a pleasant way when when needed. The tomato soup (with fritters) was wonderful, too. My compliments to the chef! Everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good if you are in the hoodTOTravellerDined on 1/1/2014We went for breakfast while on holiday and while the food was good it wasn't worth writing home about.
- Enjoyable eveningkirstenb21VIPDined on 12/31/2013we went here for New Years Eve because it was close to a party we were going to for New Years. The food was pretty good and the wine was great. Good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner outLosatDined on 12/26/2013We had a very good meal at an affordable price.the food was food and the waiter was nice and attentive.the restaurant was not full, we went on Thursday after Christmas at 7:15. Pretty ambience in restaurant and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish the food was better.njbu2Dined on 12/24/2013This is the third time we've eaten here - because we really want to love it. The neighborhood needs a place like this - casual, but not sloppy, a good 'grown-up' place with a good menu, but not too stuffy. They get the ambience and the service right for sure - but the food just isn't GREAT. Not great enough to make it a place we're excited to go. On our last visit, I ordered the crab cake appetizer - which was fine, but not as good as the crab cake at Wild Edibles 2 blocks away. Then I ordered the halibut special, which was dry and flavorless - and the mussels were overcooked. So disappointing. The service was lovely and friendly, and the staff is very accommodating. They just need someone to tweak what's coming out of the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food bad serviceMidtownFoodCriticVIPDined on 12/19/2013the food was good, but the service was lacking ordered a bottle of wine, after about 20 mins, comes back to tell me the wine is not available Then upon leaving double charged my wife's credit card. Once for the dinner and then dinner+ tip Given that servers have to settle out their tables at the end of the night, and managers should reconcile all receipts, there is no excuse for this. Lots of choices in dinning in Murray Hill, will not dine there again
- Great Local Spot!Jayw329VIPDined on 12/10/2013If you're looking for a great spot to grab really, simple, good food, then go to Hendriks. It's becoming our go to spot when we just feel like going out for some good food. The bar menu is awesome, with some wonderful cocktails, all VERY reasonably priced. The food is just perfect for a cold winter night. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Solid food in the neighbourhoodELNMDined on 12/1/2013Went for brunch. Had the crab cake salad. The french fries were good and could have been excellent if they were not so cold. Decent coffee and courteous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs some workasreviewDined on 11/23/2013The food and atmosphere was great. Our service however was terrible. It took about 10 minutes after sitting to just place our drink order, and another 10 for them to arrive. I had to ask to order starters then 15 minutes had to tell our waitress we were ready to order our mains. Although the bussing staff was attentive they were almost too attentive. If you put your fork down for a minute they were asking if they could clear your plate (even when it had a full plate of food). I would consider coming back here but not for a few moths in hopes the service gets better.