100 Monroe St
Kalamazoo, MI 49006Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hendersoncastle.com/
- Phone: 2693441827x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:30am - 9:30am
Lunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Francois Moyet
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Special Events: Perfect Venue for your wedding!
A word from Henderson Castle
Francois Louis Moyet French Master Chef & Certified Naturopath welcomes you to a phenomenal setting overlooking Downtown Kalamazoo. Francois and The Henderson Castle team will take you back in time during your royal experience. You will enjoy leisure and luxury in a beautiful historic settingContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Henderson Castle reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (10)romantic (7)neighborhood gem (7)scenic view (6)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014What a gorgeous place, inside and out. We were greeted right away by a very nice gentleman. We did the 11 course tasting course & I don't think any one of us was disappointed with any of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceJadasaanaDined on 6/25/2014It was nice to be able to say you have dined here! Nice story, however not somewhere i would eat again. The sorbet was the best thing i had from the 11 course meal. The bread was warm and crusty which is a plus. Lobster bisque was nice my date ate the whold bowl and that was his first time having it. Was a great birthday celebration for him.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration3016sonoraDined on 6/11/2014We celebrated my daughter's 25 birthday at the Castle and it was a memorable experience. From the time we walked into the front door you treated us like VIP's and that was so special to my daughter. Franklin was a gracious host and Micheal was an awesome waiter with a vibrarant and professional personality. The food was fantastic and I really appreciated the special touch of the Birthday Cake. We will be return guests, and I have told several friends about our Kalamazoo Gem. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Queen DebraQueenDebraDined on 6/4/2014Very nice. Would recommend to everyone as it is a one of a kind experience. Limited menu. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed...Notimpressed2014Dined on 6/3/2014We'll to start off they served sparkling water and we had to ask for tap water. The pork tenderloins were the size of a half dollar and you get two with a round scoop of potatoes. The flounder was a 3x3 piece and super mushy and it's flavor was bland with a scoop of rice. The steak was ok and a good size. If you pay the extra 9.99 and get the lobster tail its 2 inches wide and 5 inches long. There were crumbs under the white linens from a previous meal. We got a bottle of Henderson wine 32.00 and it was ok. All in all...we will not be back. The castle is not taken care of, it's dirty and there is not proud ownership or well management of the castle which is sad because it's a great part of Kalamazoo history.Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the Henderson Castle reviews archive.
- HarleysgmaDined on 5/16/2014The food was fabulous! Our waiter (squirrel) was a lot of fun.Special Features:
- OverratedFoodie20Dined on 5/16/2014We went here because of the Groupon for the 11-course meal for 4. We thought it would be a good deal to try somewhere new and different. What we found was bland and average-at-best food, subpar service, and an added-in 18% gratuity for a group of 4. Now I am normally a very good tipper, but it also depends on the service. The fact that they add in the gratuity on the actual amount of the bill before the Groupon is taken off meant our not-so-great waitress got a $65 for basically doing nothing. The food was much worse than I would expect for somewhere that normally charges $70/person for their 11-course menu, which is actually about 8 courses. We will never go back and will advise friends to avoid as well.Special Features:
- Good food and views.trieditDined on 5/15/2014Great building and location. Delicious food. Inattentive staff at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014We celebrated our Anniversary here and we had the 11 course meal, which was fantastic. Our Waiter was always attentive to our needs and was a great waiter. We hope to come back on another anniversary and enjoy what they have to offer.Special Features:
- A very bad lunchTomTDined on 5/12/2014I made reservations and four of us went to Henderson Castle for lunch for the first time. I order the pork tenderloin dinner; the fresh green beans were cold, and the pork and mash potatoes were heated up left overs. (bone dry) We mentioned the problem to the waitress, and she stated she would advise the owner/chef. He must have had something else on his mine, because we saw him several times in the restaurant but he never spoke. I guess there is a reason for us being the only four customers in the restaurant.
- Wonderful mealJohnDined on 4/25/2014Had the 7 course meal. Very well done, each course was great, beef was tender, perfect dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is inconsistentDRNODined on 4/24/2014This was my second time at the restaurant. I wanted it be better than my first experience; unfortunately it was not. I find the quality of the food inconsistent both times and not worth the cost. Tomato soup was ok, presentation of my chicken was excellent but the chicken was too tough to cut. I have never experienced chicken like that before, the bread rolls reminded me of store bought vs. bakery, and the dessert - chocolate mousse was excellent. Overall, the experience was ok - Megan, the server is outstanding - great customer focus, friendly, responsive. After living in France for a year and then just returning from a three-week vacation, the food at Henderson Castle is uneventful
- Easter BrunchMrsMartinoffDined on 4/20/2014Enjoyed a great brunch with friends in a lovely setting. We all enjoyed our meals and our server was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Easter DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014My family and I from the south side of Chicago were visiting our other daughter at WMU, and decided that having a memorable pre-Easter dinner was the perfect gift we could give our daughters at The Henderson Castle. A beautiful table setting and atmosphere, our friendly and accommedating waitress Megan, answered all are questions. We had the four course dinner this time, but, will definitely will try the other dinners offered next time. Compliments to the Chef and we definitely will pass the word on for a Special Stop for those parents that plan to visit WMU in Kalamazoo, Michigan.Special Features:
- Food was good, but portionsGardentotableDined on 3/10/2014Food was good, but portions were VERY small. Ex. Normally escargot would be 5 or 6, I received 2. I would have expected a more elegant dessert than just a cup of chocolate mouse and perhaps a choice would be nice. Not a good return for the money paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dining ExperienceNeehogDined on 3/8/2014The dining area is romantic and beautiful, the staff is over the top friendly, food was excellent and in good portions. They grow their own grapes for their wine which is delicious. You have go there at least once, everyone should experience this kind of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard different from what I foundGingerfoxyDined on 2/3/2014We went for a nice dinner as had heard that it was quite nice. There was no hand rail going up the icy steps which made it difficult. We were handed hangers and shown the coat closet. After being seated, we were greeted by our server. We were immediately asked if we wanted the 11, 7, or 4 course dinner. We asked to be able to look at the menu 1st. Within 1 minute, we were asked again. Same response. There were 3 wines to choose from by the glass. The unmatched flatware was placed incorrectly at our place, the wines were brought 5 mins later and served to the wrong person as were the entrees. The food was DELICIOUS. The lack of service ruined the entire experience. Not offered coffee.
- Too priceydiners4Dined on 2/1/2014Although the food was good, and the ambience unique and historical, we found the meal overpriced for the quality. We ordered tje 11 course menu for $79/person. The entrees and appetizer lobster bisque were fantastic, but most of the rest of the meal was not particularly special. Our wait staff was helpful and friendly and even clued us in to a Groupon coupon which helped. Dining at the castle was a one-time event for us.Special Features: