121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4013518570x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (217)scenic view (152)fit for foodies (127)romantic (118)good for groups (79)notable wine list (73)neighborhood gem (62)great for lunch (56)great for outdoor dining (50)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (28)great for brunch (21)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (12)Show More
- First time at Hemenway'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Hemenway's! Good atmosphere with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always outstandingJ344Dined on 8/24/2014Been to all the so-called seafood specialty places and often disappointed, but never disappointed with Hemenway's - rarely can you say that everything is great like this. parking-service-preparation-quality-seafood-steak-dessert (creme brulee trio!)-coffees... Our go-to restaurant for special occasions, family groups, or just because.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a favorite of ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Food and ambience were great! You won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special orders don't upset us...comehere2dineVIPDined on 8/24/2014I needed a special restaurant for a very special 80 th birthday celebration. The guest of honor needed a puréed meal. Heather at Hemenway's was so knowledgeable and helpful. She informed all the staff who served us what was needed and we had a wonderful and 'normal'dinner!!! Thank you so much to everyone at Hemenway's, especially Heather!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food but fair serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Hemenway's. The food was quite good; however, the service was not what it should have been. We had to constantly remind our server to bring items we requested including bread. We asked for separate checks (party of 4) which was forgotten about. I had the seafood pasta which was a large dish full of delicious seafood. My wife had fried scallops which she liked very much. We were disappointed with the lack of creativity from the bar when asked for a special martini. Not so sure I would rush back given the many other options in Providence.Special Features:
- Water Fire NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014A memorable visit to a vibrant restaurant with good food and wine,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HemenwaysdiningoutDined on 8/23/2014Bill, our server was very attentive. Loved rose petals on table! All apps and entrees were delicious! Great location for Waterfire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutOldRoarWarriorDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner before enjoying Providence's unique Waterfire. Very glad we had reservations. There was a long line at the door shortly after we arrived. The restaurant has a very high ceiling which makes the space feel much more voluminous, and helps mitigate the noise, too, I expect. The room feel larger than it is, but in a good way. The food was excellent. She had grilled swordfish and I opted for the seared tuna. It was served very rare, as requested. Danny, our waiter was terrific. A quick sense of humor to match his attentive service. And nice recommendations, too.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great experience DannyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, but Hemmenways never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuliaDined on 8/23/2014The salads were better than the hot dishes. We order two salads - one with crab, one with yellowfin tuna. We order two hot dishes - clams and linguine, and fried clams - both were way too salty.
- localguyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a fantastic dinner of lobster and Caesar salad. Our server as very attentive. I wish we lived closer so we could return more often. When we are visiting the area we will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Seafood DelightSCrawdaddySDined on 8/20/2014Great Seafood, Atmosphere. and Service. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service and foodLeefoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our server Hollie was fantastic, very attentive but not overbearing. We had the seafood tower, 1/2 price on Mondays, all very fresh and tasty. One of the best restaurants in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceNYCfoodie7Dined on 8/17/2014We celebrated my brother's 60th birthday on a recent Sunday afternoon. They provided a lovely private table that let our party have an intimate dining experience. My sister who was earliest to arrive and found out it was my brother's "special" birthday, and asked the management if they could provide a fabulous cake for dessert. The kitchen informed the maître D ' that all cakes had already been prepared for the day and we're not able to help with this request. The manager said he could send out to a nearby bakery and sent staff to get one. My sister was bowled over. The service and food were more than splendid. I keep going back because the restaurant accommodates your every wish to make your dining experience one to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must DoCaptainJim2Dined on 8/16/2014If you are in Providence you simply must eat at Hemenway's. The quality of the food was exceeded only by the quality of the service. If you're looking for a "special" night out go to Hemenway's. You won't be disappointed !!!!Special Features:
- Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Had a great experience. Bill, our server was outstanding. Food was great. They timed it perfectly I between meals and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional from beginning to end!tuf2pleaseDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went to Hemenway's on date night the other night. Our expectations were low as we have had a hard time finding good restaurants lately. What a pleasant surprise! From the time we walked in to the time we left, it was nothing but exceptional, exceptional service, exceptional drinks, exceptional appetizers, exceptional meals (the swordfish special was amazing) and exceptional deserts. The price was in line with what I would expect for this level of restaurant, but the difference was Hemenway's is well worth it! We now have a new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- KELLY IS THE BEST SERVER EVER!dube68Dined on 8/15/2014Had such a wonderful time celebrating my boss' birthday. Service was excellent and food was out of this world.Special Features:
- Fresh local seafood, good ambience.ninny13Dined on 8/13/2014This restaurant features locally harvested oysters and clams, but also offers a wide array of fish. I recommend the beet-marinated scallops. Nice wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for seafood in ProvidencebzgirlDined on 8/13/2014Great location and nice view of the river. Service attentive. Food is reliable and good...not over the top "gourmet" but really good fresh seafood. Dinner was a bit loud for me as I usually go at lunch. They respond when you have a concern (last time we noted the creme brulee didn't have a good consistency nor was it properly "bruleed"...this time...perfect. We were impressed they really listened. Calamari outstanding...oysters (raw and my favorite, Hemenway's style) are the reason we keep on going back. Worth the trip and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotWB31969Dined on 8/10/2014This is an all round restaurant. It can serve any occasion, and it has for me. We have been for a nice Saturday night, as well as a good Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Dinner Spot for WaterfirenewbieDined on 8/9/2014Hemenway's is located at the end of Waterfire and next to Starry Night, so it was easy to go early and enjoy Waterfire before dinner. And parking is validated by Hemenway's, so I think I paid $3 for three hours of valet parking (not counting tip). The Menu was excellent and the food was superb. All in all, it was very easy to pull off a wonderful evening despite the huge crowds of people downtown.Special Features:
- A Great Dinner - Start to Finish!ninaslcpaDined on 8/9/2014Promptly seated at a window table for our 8:15 reservation on a Waterfire Saturday night! Special menu at $35 for a three-course meal was a nice addition to the regular menu. All four of us were impressed with the food quality, selection and presentation, as well as the fine service. Our meals were perfectly cooked and served at the appropriate temperature, paired with a couple of bottles of reasonably priced wine.Special Features:
- Fun and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Hemenway's never disappoints. There is always a lot of energy. Tthe service and atmosphere are great and the food is always so fresh and well prepared. Our waiter Bill was terrific. His knowledge of the menu and timing were perfect. He knows how to make every patron feel like his most important customer. Cocktails and seafood platter at the bar were also terrific. Just wish the cocktail area was a little bigger. Sometimes hard to find a spot. This is one of our favorite spots for a great night out and for a special celebration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service are always top notch. Went on a Waterfire night that made the night just perfect.Special Features:
- Hemenways - excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We arrrived on time for our reservation and opted to wait just a few minutes for a seat by the window, which over looks the canal in Providence. We had a front row view of the waterfire boats - loaded with wood and ready to light the fires which are just steps away. The food was outstanding, we had calamari with peppers and tuna appetizers, both cooked perfectly and very tasty. The lobster ravioli, pasta with seafood and scallops were terrific, the vibe at Hemenways is very upbeat but not too loud. Service was excellent too. I would go back in a heartbeat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST OYSTERS!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing choice of local oysters. Very flavorful! Waitress Louise shared her knowledge of food & local events with us. She was very gracious. Would go back in a Rhode Island minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedMrsFDined on 8/8/2014Hemenways - you cannot go wrong for seafood or steak. Certainly have enjoyed every meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food and servicelv2dineDined on 8/7/2014Dinning here was a a great experience. Definitely recommend to all.
- Perfect eveningStellaDined on 8/3/2014Super fresh seafood! Oysters were amazing, drinks were tasty and our server was very attentive and intuitive to our needs. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatDRTCDined on 8/2/2014Must eat. I have been coming to providence for 18 years and this restaurant has always been great. Great food, great service, great memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the Boatob3870Dined on 7/31/2014While the freshness of the seafood was evident, the manner in preperation and culinary vision was lacking. I would recommend it as an adequate choice but nothing more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!TPSSDined on 7/26/2014Amazing food, savored every bite. Great variety of menu choices!Special Features:
- Loved it !OceanPearlDined on 7/26/2014The seafood hot app was excellent, though I prefer a chopped clam casino, the whole clam was a bit chewy. The fried clams were worth the wait. Perfect. Clearly, Hemenways is one of Providence's best.Special Features:
- FantasticSummerwindDined on 7/26/2014Great seafood and service. Was a perfect find for the night of the water fires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 3, and each chose a different entrée. All were very pleased with the choices, the food was great, the servings substantial, and the service very attentive. We had a "gluten-free" person, and were surprised at your "gluten-free" menu. The flourless chocolate cake was outstanding, as were the other 2 desserts. We will definitely return to Hemenway's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our all-time favoriteTonyMichaels23VIPDined on 7/25/2014Hemenway's was our all-time favorite seafood experience. Linguini with shrimp was delicious. Paella was off-the charts great. Ellie's stuffed shrimp was delectable.Special Features:
- ExcellentTrishmintyDined on 7/24/2014What a great find. My husband and I stopped in after Rhode Island best of party. We had already had too much food. We wanted a meal, or so we thought. After we ordered we realized we were not that hungry. Our waiter was excellent and wrapped our food to take home. The food was great even though we couldn't eat it. Excellent leftovers on Friday night when I didn't want to cook anyway. Great views of the river in downtown Providence. I Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a superb time here, mostly due to our waiter, Cory. He made the evening. He paced the meal so we could enjoy our drinks, then our soup and salad, then the main course, without piling everything on top of each other. The food was very good. We splurged and shared a stuffed lobster...very rich! Such an enjoyable experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go if you have all night...........xxxxxDined on 7/21/2014We went on a Monday night. Sat outside, street view only. Slow Service.....Took 45 minutes by the time we got appetizers and they were crab cakes and oysters from the raw bar. Dinner took forever arrived at 9:45pm.... We had a 7:45 reservation and was finished dinner at 10:30 we did not order dessert. Eaten alive by mosquitoes. I wish the food was worth the wait.Special Features: