121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 351-8570
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (158)fit for foodies (122)scenic view (120)romantic (81)good for groups (79)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (46)hot spot (41)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- One of the best restaurants in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We took friends from out of town to Hemenway's because they wanted local seafood. The oysters were fantastic, and everybody loved the Paella. Service and ambiance were great as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A forgotten gemBC219Dined on 11/22/2014Have not been for a few years. Still as good as remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bunnyqDined on 11/22/2014Celebrated 44 wedding . Flowers on the table complimentary Champagne. Excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RhodyFoodDiva23Dined on 11/18/2014Great place, on the water ,fresh seafood , outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Very nice ambiance but food was sub par. My appetizer of clams casino came out in minutes and it was obvious that it was pre -done and just heated up. It was suffocated with bread crumbs which detracted from the dish and was not good. My paella order was also another mass produced item that lacked flavor and was disappointing. An inexperienced bar tender also made the mistake of serving my RobRoy with a cherry instead of a lemon twist. No big deal, but a high end place should know better. When in Providence I usually go to the Capital Grill, but tried Hemingways for a change. Capital Grill is better
- We were treated so well.JuliaDined on 11/16/2014Wait staff and food are impeccable. Rose petals on the table were a fantastic touch to our anniversary dinner. I also like that deviates dad had a great vocabulary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Sunday brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2014Hemenway's doesn't have a special brunch menu--they serve their full dinner menu all day. But their bottles of wine are all half-priced! This makes for a great deal! And the food is great too! They always have a wonderful selection of oysters. Great way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodluveatingout1Dined on 11/15/2014Unfortunately, as much as we were looking forward to going to Hemenway's,we were very disapointed. We were seated in the main dining room, center aisle. It was like being in the middle of Rt. 95! Waitstaff going back and forth, very distracting. The noise level is beyond tolerable. It was difficult to have a conversation between the noise and the travelling wait staff! My scallops were just about cooked through and luke warm, almost had to send them back and at $30.00 for 5 scallops, it was overall disappointing. My wife's baked stuff shrimp had almost no flavor although the description of the stuffing sounded great. Once again, not hot enough. I believe this restaurant is taking on too many diners and cannot properly handle the volume. they also need to find a way to quiet down the noise level in the main dining room and re-arrange the seating so it's not like being treated like cattle. Won't be back!
- DisappointedSlitlampVIPDined on 11/14/2014Hadn't been for a few years. Went for a special occasion. Service was great. Food fell short of expectations. Fish cooked appropriately but bland taste. Better options for restaurants if seafood is your desire. Sorry, just don't see the draw of this restaurant anymore.:(
- Great seafooddpsjVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great oysters and the freshest seafood. Also great view of providence riverSpecial Features:
- kathykDined on 11/9/2014Fabulous meal before the show at PPAC. The seafood was fresh and uniquely prepared. Block Island swordfish grilled and served over arugula risotto with a putanesca sauce and seafood paella were both delicious. The caesar salad was prepared with homemade dressing and anchovies - the best I've had in a long time. Bottled wine was half price on Sundays with an entree. Wonderful meal at a window table with great service. We will definitely go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodnjoyeatingDined on 11/8/2014We were in town visiting our daughter at college and we really wanted a great seafood restaurant and we found it . It was the last night of Water Fire. The scene was beautiful and the neighborhood was alive. Service was great and so was our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to be for Waterfire!OverthebridgeDined on 11/8/2014The place was hopping and we had a great table for 7 by the window. The bartender made a great blood orange martini and table service was excellent as well. The only thing that could have been better was the fish...a little dry and the kitchen ran out of Brussels sprouts. We'll try again when it's not quite so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LunchPaceDined on 11/8/2014We had the seafood sampler, expensive but excellent. Very fresh oysters, clams, lobster and giant shrimp. The home made lobster ravioli from Venda were nicely prepared and not over cooked. Sauce was very tasty. My wife really enjoyed her pan seared scallops. Again very fresh and just the right amount of searing. Dark brown surface and just barely cooked in the middle. Seafood is always fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kristen37Dined on 11/8/2014What a wonderful surprise. Never been there before. Everything was perfect. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I thought all the fish was quite fresh. I had the seafood over pasta. The menu said it included pieces of lobster. I did not see any. However, the shellfish and swordfish were very good. All in all a very good meal. Not an inexpensive meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Waitstaff was exceptional and especially attentive; food was terrific and nice view of the river; valet parking was convenient and made parking easy; would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & AmbienceCherylBerylDined on 11/7/2014Being in RI to visit our son at URI in Kingston, we decided to come to Providence for dinner. We saw great reviews for Hemenway's so we thought we would try it out. We arrived early so we had a drink at the bar. The bartenders were very friendly and helpful with wine recommendations. There were several people at the bar eating, which looked wonderful. When our whole party arrived (we were 7) we were brought to our table. Our waiters Jordan and Ethan were delightful, charming, helpful with menu choices. We were all thrilled with our meals - stuffed lobster (4), special of local scallops(2), lobster mac-n-cheese, seafood salad. Delicious, good portions, lovely presentation. We would definitely come again when in Prov.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!SuzyQDined on 11/6/2014We had dinner prior to a show at Providence Performing Arts Center and it was a great experience! It started with free parking in the garage next door. We had a delicious bacon wrapped scallop appetizer before dinner. Nice variety on the Wines by the Glass list. For dinner we order a pot roast dish and a baked scrod dish. Both were great! Good house salad although I would have preferred more of the mixed greens and less of the iceberg. House dressing is good! (Honey Curry)Special Features:
- Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014I was celebrating my birthday. My waiter was outstanding. He was attentive and made sure that we were told when our meal was to come out. He was very knowledgeable with the food menu and wine list and assisted my husband and I in selecting a wonderful tasting wine. He was detailed and explained where the seafood came from. I have food allergies and he notified the staff. I was very comfortable and at ease with ordering my meal. The restaurant manager made a point to come to my table to reassure me that my food would be prepared safely. This allowed me to relax and enjoy my birthday celebration. The view was amazing, window table overlooking the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a highlightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent food, my husband and I were both pleased with our entrees (grilled scallops and fried whole-belly clams) and soups (Hemenway's clam chowder and lobster bisque), and the oysters were also delightful. For dessert, the créme brûlée is a must-try. Our waitress was attentive, and making our reservations through OpenTable gave us fantastic seats by the river. A note for travelers: There is a parking garage next to the restaurant with free valet parking for three hours if you have the host/ess at Hemenway's validate your valet ticket before returning to the garage to get your vehicle. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of street parking. Overall, great food, a great experience, and the quality is worth the price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014We had a party of four on a Saturday night with a 7:30 reservation. We had a drink at the bar (hibiscus bellini -- yum) and were seated promptly. The wait staff was excellent and attentive but not annoyingly so. We ordered the seafood sampler app, a half dozen oysters and the antipasti. The appetizers were outstanding!! We should have stopped there. My husband enjoyed his paella and said it was very good. I had the seafood pasta, which was a huge disappointment. I've had this dish at many other restaurants, and this was probably the worst I've ever had. I had two clams, one of which was empty, maybe 5 mussels and maybe 3 medium size shrimp. I would never order this again. My girlfriend had the crab legs. She said they were good.Special Features:
- Special NightBuckNitroDined on 10/31/2014We had very nice Friday night dining experience at Hemenway's. Food was superb as was the service. This is such a reliable and delicious spot in Providence. The lump crab appetizer is so fresh and amazing we had to order 2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced. Over rated.Lesli52Dined on 10/31/2014ordered 2.5 lb lobster. Lobster meat came but up in a bowl. Potatoes cheap like boxed potatoes. Never saw lobster shell. About 8 small pieces of lobster in bowl. Bill was $170 for 2 including 4 drinks and 1 other 2.0 lb lobster. Will not recommend to anyone. Would love to get some of my money back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We were there for the first time and loved the treatment! Food was excellent, the view great but, mostly our waitress, Theresa, made the experience special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedDontgooutmuchDined on 10/25/2014We were seated right away. Our server Nancy was amazing & patient & informative. Great ambiance!! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SluiceDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed our time at this restaurant. It was a good selection considering its location near the Water Fire activities, the fine preparation and preparation of the food and the attentive and courteous service. The restaurant is well appointed but a little crowded and noisy. The location is convenient to Brown University and an easy walk from there for us.Special Features:
- WonderfulCamilleDined on 10/24/2014My family and I visited Rhode Island for the day and decided to dine at Hemenway's based upon the Open Table reviews. The food and service were outstanding. The stuffed lobster, lobster macaroni and cheese, and key lime pie are highly recommended. If I return to Rhode Island, Hemenway's will be a no brainer for dinner.Special Features:
- It doesn't get better than thisMatthewRGDined on 10/23/2014As a thank you to my mom, I took her here, because of her love of seafood. Needless to say, she was thrilled by the experience from the first pour of water by our very knowledgable server, to the end of the evening which resulted in the delicious cheesecake. Not one thing was wrong, nothing was out of place, and it was nice to see that the staff throughout the evening came to check in and make sure that the entire experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood, great serviceFaultyAirlockDined on 10/22/2014Everything about this restaurant was wonderful. My wife and I enjoyed the phenomenal seafood and sampled Hemenways' own beer, was which fantastic. A great night and a memorable honeymoon experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, but...happyvisitorDined on 10/18/2014The food is always reliably good here, but not only was it very noisy Sat nite(probably to be expected), but they were out of the special by just after 6 p.m. Also, our waitress was nice, but a bit discombobulated, forgetting responses to things she had already asked us, bringing us back the wrong card, etc. .Special Features:
- knight1458Dined on 10/17/2014Best lobster ever. The lobster was served fisherman style stuffed with whole scallops, shrimp, and the claw meat. Excellant service. A great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eaterDined on 10/17/2014The service here is always impeccable - friendly, professional and just the right amount of attention. The quality of the dishes is high and presentation is lovely.Special Features:
- Seafood Dinner PerfectionMissDevDined on 10/16/2014Absolutely the best choice for seafood in Providence. Each part of the meal was delicious in its own right. The service was spectacular. The waiter recommended an amazing swordfish dish that was just what I didn't know I wanted. We are looking forward to dining their again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014By far one of the best seafood meals I have eaten in a long time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood2014Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent lobster/crab cakes. Excellent service with kid friendly server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great!GB51Dined on 10/11/2014Based upon reviews and recommendations I expected more. Food was good but not great. One member of the party had cold fish. No bread brought to table. Desserts were average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPalmerDined on 10/11/2014We chose to order off the prix fixe menu, which had some nice selections, and was a good value. Unfortunately, the restaurant was very unaccommodating when it came to swapping out one vegetable for another. I wanted to substitute kale and spaghetti squash for the asparagus or spinach that was offered on the other meals. We were told that was not possible. When my meal came, I found out that it was very possible. The vegetables had no special sauces or presentation - they were what they were. My sole was overstuffed and very salty. The flavor of the fish was completely lost. The key lime pie for dessert was so tart I couldn't eat it. A dish of Sourpatch Kids would have been equal. Very poor experience for a very expensive place.
- Memorable Anniversary DinnerKimGDined on 10/11/2014We made a reservation on a Waterfire evening to celebrate our anniversary. We had let them know ahead that it was a special evening and they were wonderful. Great table, rose petals, fantastic service and delicious food.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendsCaretinaDined on 10/9/2014A window seat overlooking the river. What more is their to ask for having lunch with friends on a sunny afternoon. Maybe, able to linger and converse over a fine lunch with wine. Memories are made on occasions like this. It was just a perfect afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.