121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4013518570x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (204)scenic view (140)fit for foodies (125)romantic (105)good for groups (72)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (62)great for lunch (53)great for outdoor dining (48)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (26)great for brunch (20)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- Repeat Customer!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great location and Food is always excellent. Great Seafood!! Service was very attentive and not rushed. Great for business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014This was our first time dining at Hemenway's. Extensive menu and a lovely wine list. Excellent, attentive service. We started with a 1/2 dozen local oysters that were wonderful. The Venda Lobster Agnolotti was very tasty and very rich. The Alaska King Crab Legs were a significant disappointment in both quality and presentation and were returned to the kitchen. The dish simply did not meet expectations. The restaurant manager was at our table immediately and was most understanding and gracious. The George's Bank Sea Scallops were the replacement order and were absolutely fabulous. Perfectly prepared, attractively plated and exceptionally flavorful. We will be returning to Hemenway's to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and poor servicehalfsingDined on 9/14/2014Went to Hemenway's on a moderately busy Sunday night. Dinner service was excruciatingly slow and for extended periods of time our waitress disappeared completely. Two and a half hours for dinner, including a 20 minute wait for cappuccino because "the steamer was in heavy use". Out came the dessert - a scoop of ice cream - that had melted so much if I was the waiter I would have been embarrassed to bring to a customer. of course when I rejected it, it was replaced without question - and without apology. The bill was among the most I have spent on dinner in Providence. And the food only OK. I would stay away - significantly better places exist in Providence - there is no reason to come here.
- Definitely go againKyle06716Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good, ordered the New York Strip, and my wife had the stuffed lobster. Steak was cooked perfectly, served on a bed of mashed potatoes. I'm wold the lobster was phenomenal, with the stuffing including very large, whole scallops, as well as crab. Served with a chosen side of fries that were not touched due to the size of the lobster. Beer list was decent. Nothing to write home about, but they definitely make sure to have a good selection of craft beers including local brews. While the food was very good, it was the service that made the place. Waitress was extremely attentive, brought the lobster to the kitchen to crack it after my wife cut herself. Even brought out Champagne when she found out we were celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:
- Food, location, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Very good food, along the river in Providence. Fantastic service.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Always provide outstanding service, excellent high quality food, but it is not cheap but worth the trip. Nice to splurge once and while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchHungrySurgeonDined on 9/12/2014Took a visiting job applicant to business lunch at Hemenway's mid week. Table overlooking waterview as requested, knowledgeable and attentive service, including black napkins to "avoid lint" from the white napkins on our suits -- nice touch! We sampled local oysters from the raw bar which were some of the biggest and freshest I have ever tasted, along with jumbo shrimp cocktail. Excellent clam chowder and delicious entrees including lobster salad plate and seafood broil. Would certainly recommend for lunch and the parking was valet in the adjacent garage which made the visit quick, easy, and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine with a viewSimpleDinerDined on 9/12/2014Great spot, can sit inside on canal, or outside by park. Very relaxing and fabulous food.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDined on 9/11/2014We were looking forward to a dinner out for our 4th year anniversary. We have 4 month old twin boys and don't get out much. My husband ordered the lobster special which was very good. At the suggestion of the waitress I ordered the pork chop. It came out raw, not just under cooked, but raw. The waitress took the piece of pork back to the kitchen. When it was returned to me it was then over cooked, not a bit of pink at all. I did not want to send it back a second time so I kept it. My meal was very disappointing and not enjoyable. I mentioned it to the waitress and we were compensated with a free desert to go. By the time we got home the whipped cream with the desert had melted into the cake. I didn't enjoy desert either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantEricDined on 9/11/2014Absolutely recommend to my friend. Everything is great, food, service, and view. Also, has a delicious seafoods and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOutNAboutVIPDined on 9/9/2014It always bothers us when your food arrives and it is poorly executed. Unfortunately one of the dinners arrived overdone. The baked stuffed shrimp were tough and dried out. The restaurant was freezing on the evening we were there and the beautiful assorted seafood appetizer platter was not as hot as we would have liked. All of our salads were good but that is not why you go out to dinerOur waitress did an outstanding job and made the evening feel like a birthday celebration !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceShorebum54Dined on 9/6/2014Found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and chose it because of the seafood reviews. I had scallops and they were sweet and tasty! The restaurant honored my Open Table request for a table by the window with a river view. I was very appreciative.Special Features:
- Usually a better experienceKlunVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was rushed. Fried clams were gooey. Chef's special was excellent. Usually a much nicer experience. I'll definitely go back as this is one of my favorite restaurants. Maybe just a bad night.Special Features:
- Too many good places to pic thisTexasFoodCriticDined on 9/5/2014Wait staff not attentive and food over cooked. For the prices - while not exorbitant but but not cheap - it was not worth the money. Shrimp and lobster if not frozen were very over cooked, tough, and rubbery. A medium rare steak was well done. And never once asked how our food was or if we wanted additional beverages. Used to be a favorite, and not at all indicative of their normal food and service. We won't be back - too many other good local choices.Special Features:
- Good decent seafood restaurantRobsantDined on 9/5/2014Went to Hemenway's on a friend's recommendation. Booked through the OpenTable app at 7:15 for an 8:00 pm reservation. The place was full when we arrived, and still were seated at 8:00, the time of our reservation. Table for two was a tad too small, as in many restaurants today. Service was excellent. Food was good, although not a culinary experience, but then again we were not in Paris. Hemenway's is a good decent restaurant, probably as good as they come in Providence. I will certainly return whenever I am in Providence.Special Features:
- not as good as the first timegitanoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Returned after an excellent first visit, but not quite the same. The paella was skimpy. The service was just ok. Felt rushed by the waiter, maybe because of lack of experience. Not a busy Friday night. A long way from Southborough, MA to fall beyond expectations. We like the ambience and décor. May return.Special Features:
- Service was way offptrtDined on 9/5/2014Heminway's has been my go to spot for businesses lunches for about 3 years. I'm usually there at least 4 times per month, and its typically quite reliable. Unfortunately at my last visit this week, our waiter, a tall gentleman in his 40, was noticeably gruff, and clearly not very happy with his job that day. Working on his time table and not ours, he would consistently approach our table and interrupt our conversations with no attempt to ease in or to gently get our attention. It was very intrusive to the business discussion and felt more like the service at a diner in Queens that an upscale restaurant anywhere. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be Back AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014Our daughter is a student at Brown and Hemenway's has become a favorite stop during our visits. The fish is what the restaurant is known for, so that is what I order. During our most recent visit I had two types of raw oysters - - chosen with the advice of our waiter. Both were extremely fresh and flavorful. Speaking of our waiter, he was present without being overbearing and very knowledgeable. We were fortunate enough to have a table by the water and the views at night are lovely. We will be back again, I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014It was a very nice night out service was great and very helpful totally enjoyed the experience will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Very busy Saturday night. Had to ask for bread. Food usually outstanding, but out guest had baked stuffed shrimp and thought they were dry.Special Features:
- Great food and superb service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent! We dined here for our 6th wedding anniversary and we could not have had a better time! It was nice of the restaurant to decorate our table with rose petals and offer us a complimentary champagne toast to start off our night! Jordan our waiter was excellent! We never had to ask for anything, he was always a step ahead! Our apps, dinner entrees and dessert were all excellent and very well portioned for the price! Their lobster bisque is always amazing and they have a great wine selection! I would definitely reccomend hemenways for a romantic night out or for a great meal with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, desserts, and raw barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We luncheoned here for daughters our 21st birthday. Great choice, as she is a culinary arts student and takes restaurant experiences with an eye (and stomach) for detail. She had lobster ravioli, which the waiter described as fresh pasta with a creamy, but light sauce. A+ description and flavor. Our appetizer was bacon-wrapped scallops. I asked for well-done bacon, but tender scallops. Another A+. My wife and daughter had creme brulee, and i had flour-less chocolate cake. The cake was free, 'cause it was her birthday. The cake was delicious, some whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and a strawberry. Brulee surprise! 3 flavors, each delicious and cooked perfectly. The decor was a bit dark but tempered by the river view. 4/4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every respect!!TJMCCDined on 8/29/2014My favorite restaurant so far during this visit to Providence! Food, service and atmosphere all top notch! Guaranteed you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- First time at Hemenway'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Hemenway's! Good atmosphere with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place!MtayalaDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food! lovely place with view to the riverSpecial Features:
- always outstandingJ344Dined on 8/24/2014Been to all the so-called seafood specialty places and often disappointed, but never disappointed with Hemenway's - rarely can you say that everything is great like this. parking-service-preparation-quality-seafood-steak-dessert (creme brulee trio!)-coffees... Our go-to restaurant for special occasions, family groups, or just because.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a favorite of ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Food and ambience were great! You won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special orders don't upset us...comehere2dineVIPDined on 8/24/2014I needed a special restaurant for a very special 80 th birthday celebration. The guest of honor needed a puréed meal. Heather at Hemenway's was so knowledgeable and helpful. She informed all the staff who served us what was needed and we had a wonderful and 'normal'dinner!!! Thank you so much to everyone at Hemenway's, especially Heather!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food but fair serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Hemenway's. The food was quite good; however, the service was not what it should have been. We had to constantly remind our server to bring items we requested including bread. We asked for separate checks (party of 4) which was forgotten about. I had the seafood pasta which was a large dish full of delicious seafood. My wife had fried scallops which she liked very much. We were disappointed with the lack of creativity from the bar when asked for a special martini. Not so sure I would rush back given the many other options in Providence.Special Features:
- Water Fire NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014A memorable visit to a vibrant restaurant with good food and wine,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HemenwaysdiningoutDined on 8/23/2014Bill, our server was very attentive. Loved rose petals on table! All apps and entrees were delicious! Great location for Waterfire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutOldRoarWarriorDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner before enjoying Providence's unique Waterfire. Very glad we had reservations. There was a long line at the door shortly after we arrived. The restaurant has a very high ceiling which makes the space feel much more voluminous, and helps mitigate the noise, too, I expect. The room feel larger than it is, but in a good way. The food was excellent. She had grilled swordfish and I opted for the seared tuna. It was served very rare, as requested. Danny, our waiter was terrific. A quick sense of humor to match his attentive service. And nice recommendations, too.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great experience DannyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, but Hemmenways never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuliaDined on 8/23/2014The salads were better than the hot dishes. We order two salads - one with crab, one with yellowfin tuna. We order two hot dishes - clams and linguine, and fried clams - both were way too salty.
- localguyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a fantastic dinner of lobster and Caesar salad. Our server as very attentive. I wish we lived closer so we could return more often. When we are visiting the area we will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Seafood DelightSCrawdaddySDined on 8/20/2014Great Seafood, Atmosphere. and Service. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service and foodLeefoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our server Hollie was fantastic, very attentive but not overbearing. We had the seafood tower, 1/2 price on Mondays, all very fresh and tasty. One of the best restaurants in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceNYCfoodie7Dined on 8/17/2014We celebrated my brother's 60th birthday on a recent Sunday afternoon. They provided a lovely private table that let our party have an intimate dining experience. My sister who was earliest to arrive and found out it was my brother's "special" birthday, and asked the management if they could provide a fabulous cake for dessert. The kitchen informed the maître D ' that all cakes had already been prepared for the day and we're not able to help with this request. The manager said he could send out to a nearby bakery and sent staff to get one. My sister was bowled over. The service and food were more than splendid. I keep going back because the restaurant accommodates your every wish to make your dining experience one to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must DoCaptainJim2Dined on 8/16/2014If you are in Providence you simply must eat at Hemenway's. The quality of the food was exceeded only by the quality of the service. If you're looking for a "special" night out go to Hemenway's. You won't be disappointed !!!!Special Features:
- Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Had a great experience. Bill, our server was outstanding. Food was great. They timed it perfectly I between meals and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.