121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 351-8570
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (158)fit for foodies (122)scenic view (120)romantic (81)good for groups (79)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (46)hot spot (41)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- DuaneDined on 10/6/2014Hemenway's cuisine was prepared to perfection -- our plates were spotless after we enjoyed our meal :) The prices were reasonable. The bright, spacious, open ambience was relaxing and conducive to casual conversation. Definitely a place that is a return-to-venue any time I am in Providence. If you love fresh seafood, it's nearly impossible to beat. The neighborhood is also lovely for an after-lunch or after-dinner walk. If your guests are from out-of-town, Hemenway's is easy off-easy on relative to either I-195 or I-95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, and just not that good.enjoymyfoodDined on 10/5/2014I find that there are restaurants that have very trendy menus, are very expensive and just aren't that good. It's a seafood place (there are numerous in Rhode Island), and the entire meal (including tartar sauce and cocktail sauce) were just bland. The server was great. It's too expensive for what we got. But even at a less expensive price I wouldn't recommend it. There are just toooooooo many places in Rhode Island and Southern Mass to get fantastic seafood.
- Great anniversary dinner!nickysticksDined on 10/5/2014My girlfriend and I came with my parents to celebrate their anniversary. I let Hemenway's know ahead of time and our table was adorned with rose petals on arriving and we were treated to a round of champagne, on the house for my parents. Dinner was fantastic all around and the service was great. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!feliciaCDined on 10/3/2014Excellent food and great service!! My boyfriend and I are serious foodies, and we like to try various things so we end up ordering lots of appetizers. The fig stuffed with goat cheese wrapped with bacon was one of our favorites! Highly recommend the blood orange martini as well... and ask about the pineapple infused vodka! Overall a great experience and would absolutely go backSpecial Features:
- Waitress serviceMarkDined on 10/3/2014First, a waitress served us. Her attitude was not bad. However, after her serving water and drink, no one came to our table for 10 min. I wanted to order wine and waived at her several times when she was passing our table. She looked at me but ignored and passed me without saying anything or changing her expression. Ten min later another waitress showed up to take orders. It might be because the first waitress was supposed to serve just drinks. However, we were not informed of anything and were kept waiting for some one to serve us. I had chosen your restaurant because service quality had been high before then and had parties with my students and researchers working for me. I feel quite discouraged to continue to do so.
- Disappointed!foodie135Dined on 10/2/2014The scallops, special of the day, were delicious and a large portion. The paella, was dry, "sandy" and cold, it was taken off the check but the damage was done. The signature coffee was cold, the server said he would bring a warmer one but neglected to tell me he had microwaved and it was now scallding -- I took a sip through the straw and burnt my mouth! We have been here many times, but this was a total disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceGirlsDined on 10/2/2014Our server, Theresa, made our girls night out a great experience. The food was great, she was so attentive, and let us take our time to catch up and enjoy! We did not feel rushed and were able to enjoy our food and table talk. Will definitely visit again soon! Always have a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly romanticAnniversaryDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and decided the evening before that we would go all out and have a fancy dinner on a Sunday. So, when I made the reservation on OpenTable, I wrote "Anniversary" in the special comments section, just for kicks. Hemenway's took it to heart. Rose petals on the table, champagne on the house...if you want to impress your lady, bring her here and pass it all off as your idea. Food was delightful, service was great, and Sundays = half-off bottles of wine. We had a gift card from a while back to use so we felt free to indulge, but if you do not have a gift card, expect a little bit of sticker shock when the bill comes. For a special experience like this, though, it was worth it.Special Features:
- Best seafood at River Fire EventstuBDined on 9/27/2014Have been to other restaurants in area during River Fire and this is the best by far. Easy to get to, parking plentiful, wait staff was very good, got there early and took us in, would visit again.Special Features:
- Great time!KpmassDined on 9/27/2014We dine at Hemenway's every time we come to Providence to experience Waterfire. The food is excellent, especially the baked stuffed shrimp! The view is great as well as convenient parking that can be validated after dining. Every time we have been to Hemenway's our waiter/waitress has been friendly, attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. Perfect location to begin or end your evening!!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerKathDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service and fantastic food. Went Waterfire after dinner. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food & Service!AMM1224Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first visit to Hemenway's, as we chose this as our anniversary dinner spot. Very romantic and great views of Waterfire. The food was amazing! The crab cake appetizer is so delicious & the raw bar was the freshest I've ever had, great wine list, stuffed lobster and filet dinner was cooked perfectly, & our server Steve was fabulous! He was very attentive & made our overall experience perfect! Very reasonably priced. We can't wait to come back again! This is the BEST seafood restaurant we have ever been to! I wish we lived closer, but it's well worth the 1.5 hour drive from CT. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Providence that wants an upscale dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyDined on 9/27/2014the food and service were both exceptional. the waitstaff are to be commended !Special Features:
- Uncharacteristically DisappointingGoodfoodDined on 9/26/2014I usually love Hemenway's, but this visit was disappointing. They used to have really good rolls, but our waiter informed us that they changed them about six month's ago. I prefer the previous ones. And by the way, we had to ask for them. Also, they now have flavored their butter, which I didn't care for. Finally, my Caesar Salad had an excessive amount of dressing. On a positive note, when the waiter found out my friend was celebrating her birthday, he brought her a piece of cake. That was a nice touch, but overall it was not their best effort.Special Features:
- Great !DantheDan31Dined on 9/21/2014A great restaurant with an excellence service an impressive wine list and the best seafood of Providence !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantExcellentVIPDined on 9/21/2014We dine hear a lot and its always great food and people.The only thing that changes is the server this time we had Morgan and she was outstanding and you cant beat the Sunday wine special all bottles half priceSpecial Features:
- Consistently Great!!BillDined on 9/19/2014One of our Favorite restaurants in RI. Always good food and the service always excellent. Tonight we took a friend who had food allergies. Our server Morgan was very attentive and accommodating. The Chef's prepared his Paella perfectly and he was assured of it's clean ingredients. Seafood is their specialty, but I had the Surf & Turf. The NY Sirloin was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Repeat Customer!!!TREK620Dined on 9/17/2014Great location and Food is always excellent. Great Seafood!! Service was very attentive and not rushed. Great for business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014This was our first time dining at Hemenway's. Extensive menu and a lovely wine list. Excellent, attentive service. We started with a 1/2 dozen local oysters that were wonderful. The Venda Lobster Agnolotti was very tasty and very rich. The Alaska King Crab Legs were a significant disappointment in both quality and presentation and were returned to the kitchen. The dish simply did not meet expectations. The restaurant manager was at our table immediately and was most understanding and gracious. The George's Bank Sea Scallops were the replacement order and were absolutely fabulous. Perfectly prepared, attractively plated and exceptionally flavorful. We will be returning to Hemenway's to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and poor servicehalfsingDined on 9/14/2014Went to Hemenway's on a moderately busy Sunday night. Dinner service was excruciatingly slow and for extended periods of time our waitress disappeared completely. Two and a half hours for dinner, including a 20 minute wait for cappuccino because "the steamer was in heavy use". Out came the dessert - a scoop of ice cream - that had melted so much if I was the waiter I would have been embarrassed to bring to a customer. of course when I rejected it, it was replaced without question - and without apology. The bill was among the most I have spent on dinner in Providence. And the food only OK. I would stay away - significantly better places exist in Providence - there is no reason to come here.
- Definitely go againKyle06716Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good, ordered the New York Strip, and my wife had the stuffed lobster. Steak was cooked perfectly, served on a bed of mashed potatoes. I'm wold the lobster was phenomenal, with the stuffing including very large, whole scallops, as well as crab. Served with a chosen side of fries that were not touched due to the size of the lobster. Beer list was decent. Nothing to write home about, but they definitely make sure to have a good selection of craft beers including local brews. While the food was very good, it was the service that made the place. Waitress was extremely attentive, brought the lobster to the kitchen to crack it after my wife cut herself. Even brought out Champagne when she found out we were celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:
- Food, location, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Very good food, along the river in Providence. Fantastic service.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Always provide outstanding service, excellent high quality food, but it is not cheap but worth the trip. Nice to splurge once and while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchHungrySurgeonDined on 9/12/2014Took a visiting job applicant to business lunch at Hemenway's mid week. Table overlooking waterview as requested, knowledgeable and attentive service, including black napkins to "avoid lint" from the white napkins on our suits -- nice touch! We sampled local oysters from the raw bar which were some of the biggest and freshest I have ever tasted, along with jumbo shrimp cocktail. Excellent clam chowder and delicious entrees including lobster salad plate and seafood broil. Would certainly recommend for lunch and the parking was valet in the adjacent garage which made the visit quick, easy, and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine with a viewSimpleDinerDined on 9/12/2014Great spot, can sit inside on canal, or outside by park. Very relaxing and fabulous food.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDined on 9/11/2014We were looking forward to a dinner out for our 4th year anniversary. We have 4 month old twin boys and don't get out much. My husband ordered the lobster special which was very good. At the suggestion of the waitress I ordered the pork chop. It came out raw, not just under cooked, but raw. The waitress took the piece of pork back to the kitchen. When it was returned to me it was then over cooked, not a bit of pink at all. I did not want to send it back a second time so I kept it. My meal was very disappointing and not enjoyable. I mentioned it to the waitress and we were compensated with a free desert to go. By the time we got home the whipped cream with the desert had melted into the cake. I didn't enjoy desert either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantEricDined on 9/11/2014Absolutely recommend to my friend. Everything is great, food, service, and view. Also, has a delicious seafoods and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOutNAboutVIPDined on 9/9/2014It always bothers us when your food arrives and it is poorly executed. Unfortunately one of the dinners arrived overdone. The baked stuffed shrimp were tough and dried out. The restaurant was freezing on the evening we were there and the beautiful assorted seafood appetizer platter was not as hot as we would have liked. All of our salads were good but that is not why you go out to dinerOur waitress did an outstanding job and made the evening feel like a birthday celebration !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceChopinandCosmoGirlDined on 9/7/2014Four of us dined at Hemenway's on a Sunday afternoon. The attention to detail was superb. The meals were great and the chef made sure to take into account food allergies that two of us had in preparing our meals. Oysters, the Paella and the George's Bank Sea Scallops marinated in beets were all delicious. The 1/2 price bottles of wine on Sunday gave us no excuse to sample from their large wine list. A pleasant afternoon spent in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceShorebum54Dined on 9/6/2014Found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and chose it because of the seafood reviews. I had scallops and they were sweet and tasty! The restaurant honored my Open Table request for a table by the window with a river view. I was very appreciative.Special Features:
- Usually a better experienceKlunVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was rushed. Fried clams were gooey. Chef's special was excellent. Usually a much nicer experience. I'll definitely go back as this is one of my favorite restaurants. Maybe just a bad night.Special Features:
- Too many good places to pic thisTexasFoodCriticDined on 9/5/2014Wait staff not attentive and food over cooked. For the prices - while not exorbitant but but not cheap - it was not worth the money. Shrimp and lobster if not frozen were very over cooked, tough, and rubbery. A medium rare steak was well done. And never once asked how our food was or if we wanted additional beverages. Used to be a favorite, and not at all indicative of their normal food and service. We won't be back - too many other good local choices.Special Features:
- Good decent seafood restaurantRobsantDined on 9/5/2014Went to Hemenway's on a friend's recommendation. Booked through the OpenTable app at 7:15 for an 8:00 pm reservation. The place was full when we arrived, and still were seated at 8:00, the time of our reservation. Table for two was a tad too small, as in many restaurants today. Service was excellent. Food was good, although not a culinary experience, but then again we were not in Paris. Hemenway's is a good decent restaurant, probably as good as they come in Providence. I will certainly return whenever I am in Providence.Special Features:
- not as good as the first timegitanoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Returned after an excellent first visit, but not quite the same. The paella was skimpy. The service was just ok. Felt rushed by the waiter, maybe because of lack of experience. Not a busy Friday night. A long way from Southborough, MA to fall beyond expectations. We like the ambience and décor. May return.Special Features:
- Service was way offptrtDined on 9/5/2014Heminway's has been my go to spot for businesses lunches for about 3 years. I'm usually there at least 4 times per month, and its typically quite reliable. Unfortunately at my last visit this week, our waiter, a tall gentleman in his 40, was noticeably gruff, and clearly not very happy with his job that day. Working on his time table and not ours, he would consistently approach our table and interrupt our conversations with no attempt to ease in or to gently get our attention. It was very intrusive to the business discussion and felt more like the service at a diner in Queens that an upscale restaurant anywhere. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be Back AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014Our daughter is a student at Brown and Hemenway's has become a favorite stop during our visits. The fish is what the restaurant is known for, so that is what I order. During our most recent visit I had two types of raw oysters - - chosen with the advice of our waiter. Both were extremely fresh and flavorful. Speaking of our waiter, he was present without being overbearing and very knowledgeable. We were fortunate enough to have a table by the water and the views at night are lovely. We will be back again, I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014It was a very nice night out service was great and very helpful totally enjoyed the experience will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Very busy Saturday night. Had to ask for bread. Food usually outstanding, but out guest had baked stuffed shrimp and thought they were dry.Special Features:
- Great food and superb service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent! We dined here for our 6th wedding anniversary and we could not have had a better time! It was nice of the restaurant to decorate our table with rose petals and offer us a complimentary champagne toast to start off our night! Jordan our waiter was excellent! We never had to ask for anything, he was always a step ahead! Our apps, dinner entrees and dessert were all excellent and very well portioned for the price! Their lobster bisque is always amazing and they have a great wine selection! I would definitely reccomend hemenways for a romantic night out or for a great meal with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, desserts, and raw barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We luncheoned here for daughters our 21st birthday. Great choice, as she is a culinary arts student and takes restaurant experiences with an eye (and stomach) for detail. She had lobster ravioli, which the waiter described as fresh pasta with a creamy, but light sauce. A+ description and flavor. Our appetizer was bacon-wrapped scallops. I asked for well-done bacon, but tender scallops. Another A+. My wife and daughter had creme brulee, and i had flour-less chocolate cake. The cake was free, 'cause it was her birthday. The cake was delicious, some whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and a strawberry. Brulee surprise! 3 flavors, each delicious and cooked perfectly. The decor was a bit dark but tempered by the river view. 4/4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.