32 Railroad Ave.
Glen Head, NY 11545Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://heirloomtavern.com/
- Phone: (516) 686-6633
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kent Monkan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Heirloom Tavern
Coined as an "American Gastropub" by owner and Head Chef Kent Monkan, the Heirloom Tavern offers its customers the finest food and greatest company Long Island has to offer. Some of our main courses include Painted Hills steaks, potato-crusted Chatham cod, and fettuccine lobster carbonara. Stop in for drinks or dinner!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Heirloom Tavern - Best Restaurants in Glen Head ›
Heirloom Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)neighborhood gem (70)hot spot (18)romantic (18)special occasion (18)good for groups (14)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good local placeRexyVIPDined on 4/10/2014Nice assortment of bar plates and small plates, coupled with a glass of wine, and you're all set. Good local spot. Gets a nice crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dish was one from theTheMayorDined on 4/9/2014Best dish was one from the bar plates - sweet and spicy shrimp in lettuce leaves. I have been dreaming about them - delicious. Other appetizers were okay. Skip the duck spring roll. It was non description, dry and no sauce for dipping. I love baked clams and these were good but not amazing. The endive salad sounded better on the menu but was okay. I had the red snapper special for my entree and it was very good. The skin was crispy and it sat atop a ragout of roasted potatoes, artichokes, and spinach in a pool of luscious pink sauce. An all around great dish. My husband had the French Onion burger on the menu and it was okay - bun could not stand up to the jus so created an exceptional mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2014Excellent brunch and great service. Will definitely return when in the area.Special Features:
- Good vibe, but a bit disappointingNinaVIPDined on 4/5/2014We dined out Saturday nite with another couple. Always liked energy in restaurant although the noise level makes conversation difficult. Service was quite slow and food inconsistent depending on what you ordered. Caesar salad was tasteless, sole was light and well prepared. Steak very good. Would go back, but not high on my list for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Truly delicious food withOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/3/2014Truly delicious food with a menu of lots of choices. Large plates, small plates, salads, pastas and sandwiches. Something for everyone. I had wonderfully prepared Bronzino, my son had the ahi tuna burger. Fresh ingredients that are perfectly prepared. Service is excellent and friendly. Very small restaurant so reservations are definitely necessary especially on the weekend. Midweek reservations are easier to get. Definitely a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!WARRENVIPDined on 3/31/2014Outstanding!!! Frequent diner. My wife and I love this restaurant. Great menu. Great chef. Never disappoints. From the bread to the dessert, always terrific!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchJerryVIPDined on 3/30/2014The Brunch was outstanding. The Apple French Toast was unbelievable, I didn't ear until the next day. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Great Food and Good ServicecustomcDined on 3/29/2014I have wanted to try this restaurant for awhile since we LOVE Brass Rail and they are owned by the same person. The staff was all very nice and the food was all wonderful with beautiful presentation. The prices were also very fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemRexyVIPDined on 3/27/2014Had a great meal at heirloom tavern consisting of bar plates and small plates each and every one better than the other we tried the lobster taco the smoked chicken quesadilla the spring rolls the veal meatballs the steak skewers and everything was delicious and the cocktails we had with dinner were great as well service was on the ball we loved it so much we're going back next weekSpecial Features:
- Luncheon TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/12/2014I dined here with a friend to celebrate her birthday. Although the menu was limited, we had a wonderful meal and were very happy we chose Heirloom Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of menu choicesJVDVDined on 3/7/2014The menu had many options - bar plates (1serving); small plates (2 servings), salads, sandwiches, pasta's and entrees. The Food was nicely presented and tasty - except for the wilted spinach and sauce that accompanied the blackened fish which was nearly too salty for consumption. I would definitely frequent this restaurant again but would request ligthening up on the salt.Special Features:
- Good findFitzseaVIPDined on 3/5/2014My mom and I were going to watch my daughter dance at the Tilles Center at CW post and we wanted to get some dinner before. I checked Open Table for something in the area and we came across the cute restaurant. My mother had the fried chicken with sweet potato purée and spinach. She loved it. I had the calamari special it was ok. It was overpowered by the olives. We shared the vanilla cheesecake with the chocolate crust. It was delicious! If you are in the area cute place. Love the decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was presented beautifully.woodstandDined on 3/4/2014the food was presented beautifully. the waiter was attentive.Special Features:
- Great food, reasonable pricesBoardmasterDined on 2/16/2014Food was excellent, prices were reasonable, large selection. Only two complaints were it was a bit warm and quarters were a little cramped. Maybe get some new floor tiles? The really important things were all there though, excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!PamBVIPDined on 2/15/2014We love this restaurant and always recommend it. It has great ambiance and the food and service are always outstanding. Wonderful menu and specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bar with real foodlegleglDined on 2/14/2014Well the bar is small but there is in fact a real bar menu. As well as extremely well executed real food, both on the menu and daily specials. We have been here twice and haven't been disappointed. It's small but not noisy, a goody place but not pretentious. A great find, in an odd location.Special Features:
- Wonderful service. The staffJmb1VIPDined on 2/12/2014Wonderful service. The staff was very attentive. Had the branzino which was delicious. Two sides were included with main dish,it's not often anything included. We all enjoyed our meals. A definite "return to" restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary treat!love2eatVIPDined on 2/8/2014We waited awhile to get a reservation at heirloom, but it was well worth it. The restaurant was busy but our reservation was honored. They didn't rush us and everything was great. They had a grilled octopus salad as a special that was the best I've ever had and enough for my husband and I to share. I had the pork chop which was delicious as well as our friends meals - scallops, salmon and a seafood pasta - all entrees were enjoyed. I even made another reservation as I was having my dessert! Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Friendly welcome. CelebratingfoodieVIPDined on 2/4/2014Friendly welcome. Celebrating a birthday & dessert plate was nicely presented; but after blowing out a candle, the bus boy passed by, stuck his fingers over my dessert & removed the candle while I was eating. That was unpleasant. Also, my Lichi Martini arrived with a maraschino cherry which took away from the look & taste of the drink. Overall we enjoyed dining there when we arrived early. The noise escalated more & more & took away from the more adult romantic feeling at the beginning of our evening.Special Features:
- Hopefully this was just a slip-upopeltzVIPDined on 2/1/2014Love Heirloom Tavern, probably our favorite LI restaurant. Went on Sat as a group of 4 and the portions seemed significantly smaller. Hopefully this was just a one-off issue and not the new norm. Food was still fantastic.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the foodTahloolaDined on 2/1/2014The food was very good, The server had quite a few tables to attend to, which led to slow service (example, having to ask for drink refills). The one thing that really bothered me was having to have my dinner on a "craft paper" tablecloth. The ends curled up every time we moved our arms which I found quite annoying. That is the reason I gave it only 2 stars for ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againopeltzVIPDined on 1/20/2014Favorites are the clams casino and fried mozzarella apps. LOVE the mac & cheese. Tried french onion soup and burger this time, also very good. Great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- A great local spotJoeandRoVIPDined on 1/19/2014Lots of variety. Small plates, big plates - Burgers or salads or Fish o-- the list goes on. Everything is really good. Great attentive service. We live locally and really enjoy coming here and always eat something different.Special Features:
- Local GemJBIRISHDined on 1/19/2014Looking for a drinlk after the train(sparkling orchard) or dinner, Heirloom can't be beat. Excellent food whether you are looking for a full meal or a burger. Great small plates as well. Nightly specials always good. A small bar that sometimes can be loud if sitting up fromt, but lively nevertheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - quick serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/17/2014the guac is overrated but the other dishes were great. One suggestion is to stagger your order of small plates and appetizers. We ordered five small plates for our dinner and all five were delivered to our table at the same time five minutes after we placed the order. Food was delicious but we felt we were rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no weekends to noise.magicmanDined on 1/11/2014food was very good too noisy on weekend but we go there during the week and it's quieter and food always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly FantasticglennDined on 1/10/2014I have been going to this restaurant since it opened. What I find most interesting is EVERYTHING is ALWAYS PERFECT. From the ambience to the service to the food and drinks. This is what going out to a restaurant should be. The menu caters to all tastes and all of it is great. This past trip I started with a scotch egg - that was a nice touch. I also ordered a Bronzino served whole - it's like Christmas on your plate. To finish, the creme brulee with cinnamon and hazlehut ice creams with a Mexican Coffee sent me away! Alaways a treat! Always fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantzumbaloveVIPDined on 1/7/2014We have been to Heirloom Tavern several times and always look forward to returning. The food, the service, the atmosphere, and everything else about this restaurant is first class. I tried the shrimp lettuce wraps for the first tme, and they were by far the best I've ever had. We will go back again and again.Special Features:
- The food and service wererab4VIPDined on 1/6/2014The food and service were very good. This night the restaurant was not busy so the noise level was quiet otherwise it can be very loud and difficult to have a conversation. We really enjoy dining at HeirloomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure in Glen HeadnancyfolkDined on 12/31/2013Often we take for granted the restaurants closest to home, in this case Heirloom Tavern in Glen Head. The chef is truly amazing - both for creativity and the quality of the food served. Don't miss the lobster mac'n'cheese, or the crusted stuffed chicken. Mouthwatering and delicious. The gelato is just like it is in Italy. This cozy restaurant knows not to cram too many tables in this modest space so that you can enjoy talking with your dining guests. Unlike some other high end restaurants, Heirloom Tavern is also modestly priced, considering the quality of their food. So for a new year's resolution, check out Heirloom Tavern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glen Head OasisJerrySDined on 12/28/2013Wonderful food and good service makes a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just loved!Luv4foodDined on 12/21/2013Went with a group and had an amazing dinner with fabulous service. The waiter was extremely attentive. Food was great and the menu has lots of choices. Shrimp lettuce wraps were delicious as Well as the lobster mac and the flour less chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterFoodLoverDined on 12/20/2013My wife and I made a spur-of-the moment decision to dine at Heirloom Tavern on a Friday evening at 6:30. There were several two-person tables available, but the maitre 'd gave us the worst one, sandwiched between a walkway and the bar. We asked for a better table in the back, and he said it was reserved. When we were done with our meal, that table was still empty. Despite this annoyance, our appetizer and entree dishes were excellent. The food came out quickly and everything was delicious. But we got the creme brulee for dessert, and it was skimpy. There was less than a quarter inch of custard in the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is such a little gem!GloriaVIPDined on 12/20/2013This is such a little gem! And the food consistently good;have only been here for lunch, and each time food selections are very good;the ceasar salad which I split was really crisp,no brown leaves, no overdone dressing and the two crispy , garlicy croutons on top a real yummy start! The small plate of skewed bbq skirt steak was also delicious, really good! Also, Nice wines by the glass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited on a Saturday night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013We visited on a Saturday night. I made the reservations on a Thursday so the only time slot they had left was 6:30. Book early. Very small establishment so we ate very close to another couple but the food was worth it. Great menu. My wife and I went with a tasting of the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to Bennet! Great hostTomBDined on 12/6/2013Kudos to Bennet! Great host and helpful even though our friends were running late and the restaurant was clearly packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the north shore!JazzManVIPDined on 12/5/2013There are very few high quality places to eat on Long Island's North Shore, but we felt the food and service were quite good. While in Manhattan, there are equivalent places on nearly every block, there only a handful of places where it is worth going out to eat, rather than staying home and cooking it yourself. This was one of those places.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2013I had heard about this place for quite a while and was excited to finally have a reservation for dinner. While the food is very good and the menu is interesting, I feel that it is somewhat overpriced. Cocktails were $13 and even a very small glass of wine was $10. The small plates, which are appetizers, were ok but also pricey. I had the cheesesteak sandwich, which was very tasty. My dining partner had the paillard chicken which was rather ordinary. We skipped dessert. I'm not sure I'll be back so soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing was delicioustastybudsDined on 11/15/2013very varied menu, asian, italian, mexican, america ect but they didnt do any one thing well. we tried six item from the menu, two of each course and found nothing tasty about any of it. lovely waiter and nice little spot but would never return for the food. sadSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerPatronDined on 11/14/2013We had a great early dinner for a group of six people. The waiter was especially helpful with both the choice of wine and explaining the menu. The food was delicious and we really Iiked that there is a choice of side dishes with most entrees. The menu has a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.