Top of the Hill Plaza, 8705 Germantown Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.heirloomdining.com/
- Phone: 2152422700
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday: 5:00pm-11:00pm Saturday 4:00pm-11:00pm Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm-9:00pm Monday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chef Al Paris
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Catering and private party options are available. Please send your inquiry to info@HeirloomDining.com for more information or call 215.242.2700.
- Special Events: Catering and private party options are available. Please send your inquiry to info@HeirloomDining.com for more information or call 215.242.2700
A word from Heirloom Restaurant
Heirloom Restaurant, located at the Top of the Hill Plaza in the scenic Chestnut Hill area of Philadelphia, specializes in Fine American Cookery. Seasonal, local ingredients are used in traditional recipes and preparations and creatively presented. Heirloom is a BYOB and welcomes you to bring your favorite bottle of wine to enjoy with your meal. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Heirloom Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Heirloom Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (87)special occasion (59)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (31)good for groups (25)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014We have been to Heirloom several times and have really enjoyed the and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 10/16/2014The food was great but the staff was even better!..Had trouble getting the time we wanted of opentable but when I talked to the the Resturant directly they were able to help us....Special Features:
- promisingTaniaDined on 10/15/2014this little spot with a local in season menu has such great promise. unfortunately my friend found his chicken tough and my beet salad was a good effort. They are worth supporting
- Terrific RestuarantMarcHVIPDined on 10/15/2014Went there for my wife's birthday and had a splendid evening.Service was outstanding,and enthusiastic. The Menu is most interesting and certainly for "foodies". It is expensive but certainly worth every penny.As it is a BYOB the expense is held in check. We will return.Special Features:
- consistently greatifischerDined on 10/14/2014An outstanding restaurant using local produce and serving the food with care and attention. I not only take my wife and family to this restaurant but also bring out of town guests that come to our university to give talks. The consistent quality of the food and service are rare in the restaurant business and the intimate feeling is reinforced by a manager who goes around to make sure all is well and engage in foodies talk. They even remember my favorite table. To top it all it is a BYBO with a wine store next door.Special Features:
- Don't make a reservation after 7:30OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Very disappointing that after we got set on our entrees that we learned that kitchen "ran out" of the food we ordered. If you can't keep all of the entrees on the menu stocked, then you shouldn't take late reservations. What we did order was "ok" - overall, pretty bland.Special Features:
- trying too hardcallmasicmVIPDined on 10/11/2014attractive place for a storefront restaurant and our waiter was quite good. now for the not so good- a lone quail egg on the salad plate that looked lost, flavorless beets and arugula. if you're trying to exude gourmet get rid of the sirloin; not a good cut of meat and not worth the price of admission. redfish could have been good but way too much breading. scallops were near perfect but , unfortunately, man does not live by scallops alone!
- Fresh and elegant preparationseduardo7VIPDined on 10/11/2014... with two really big pluses: it's BYOB... and there's a pretty good wine shop right next door. Noise level rose as the room filled during an early dinner... but it allowed conversation.Special Features:
- A Little strange but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I went to dinner with my husband. When we were seated they wanted us to sit next to each other in a booth and the whole restaurant was open. They did not want to move a chair over. They also wanted to seat us right on top of the only couple that was there?! We refused and they sat us across from each other. My husband's sirloin was overcooked. My redfish was very good and I am gluten free and they were very accommodating. My chopped salad was amazing and the deserts were delicious. We don't think we would go again due to the service.
- Always Outstanding!NewZagats2VIPDined on 10/10/2014Chef must be in the LOVE! The new MENU for Fall is just fabulous!! The Redfish! To die for ! Mushroom Gnocchi!!! Phenomenal! and the GIANT Scallops!! Knocked my friends socks off!! Choose Heirloom! We LOVE IT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crobVIPDined on 10/10/2014We brought out of town guests and they were wowed! They loved the space and raved about the food!Special Features:
- lovely birthday dinnerahphilaVIPDined on 10/9/2014My daughter and I came here for her 22nd birthday. She loved everything about the place - the decor, the menu, the food. The shrimp chopped salad was amazing! The Fairytale Pumpkin Risotto should be on a magazine cover - it's as pretty as it is delicious. Per my request when I made the reservation, they delivered her dessert with a candle in it, and then comped us the dessert since it was her birthday. I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- AnneVIPDined on 10/8/2014I love this place. Awesome, Quiet and overall great quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing--again.frenchVIPDined on 10/7/2014This was our third and last try for this neighborhood restaurant. We don't see what all the fuss is about--why are the ratings relatively high?? (The place was virtually empty when we were there.) The food was okay but not consistent, good enough but not overall and not great . . . most certainly not for the prices.
- Luv2dineVIPDined on 10/5/2014We truly enjoyed our dining experience! Delicious food, beautiful presentation of food, attentive service and lovely room. The chopped salad with crabmeat was incredible. The lamb shank and duck entrees were cooked to perfection . And save room for dessert because the donut stuffed with apples was an OMG experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- strange1currentDined on 10/5/2014Didn't appreciate the 18% gratuity added on. I was going to tip 20%, incidentally. Felt the waitstaff was being preemptive because our meal was over two hours late.Special Features:
- WillyDined on 10/5/2014I have been to Heirloom before this visit and was a bit disappointed in my meal this time. The entree was not hot and the appetizer lacked flavor. Our server was outstanding and explained all the meals carefully. It could be that the Fall Festival caused a bit of a downturn in our meals. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood dinersmotherdaughterDined on 10/3/2014Everything I ordered was excellent! My husband had the rabbit, which he thought was a bit too salty, and not as tasty as my duck breast. For dessert, we ordered the doughnut, which was a delicious fall creation. I had eaten here once before a couple of years ago with my bookgroup during restaurant week, but the experience had not been as good. Glad I decided to try it again. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/3/2014Unusual takes on fresh seasonal ingredients are this restaurants fortes. Cozy, homey ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedJulietVIPDined on 9/30/2014We used to eat here frequently. Had not been in a while. Very disappointed. My husband ordered the steak which was tough and gristle-y. Could not chew it. I had the rabbit...very dry. Kale on everything. Actually, we ordered a side dish of Kale with bacon. They forgot the bacon. Then brought it out in the middle of the meal. Place was also kind of empty and depressing. Will not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014This was our first visit to Heirloom. We sat outside. The chairs didn't provide enough back support, and the cushions were in need of a good cleaning. We should have sat in the restaurant, which was beautiful, and had a different seating arrangement (individual tables) vs. (community tables) as pictured on the restaurant's website. While the food was good, the coffee was not hot. Brunch was a bit pricey side--$12 for an average tasting, lukewarm waffle and $5 for grapefruit brulee (1/2 of a grapefruit). However, the Heirloom Crabcake Benedict WAS worthy of $15. Not sure that we will return for brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- jay1651VIPDined on 9/26/2014Great local BYOB. Best food in Chestnut Hill. Everything fresh, mostly local and seasonal.
- Missed the markdiner564Dined on 9/25/2014The service was excellent and our server, Sessin (?) was a delight. The ambiance was ok- but there were little gnats flying around (perhaps from the plants overhead) and the table was WAY too small for the two of us, our wine, bread and food. The food was ok, but not really special. The mushroom gnocchi was tasty but mushy. I will say that the vegetables/salad SURROUNDING the gnocchi was delicious with a wonderful texture. We also ordered the roasted beet salad which was bland and uninteresting. We split an order of scallops with a carrot puree, I believe. The scallops were beautiful (all the dishes looked beautiful) but were undercooked. They have the right idea there, just need some work on the execution of the dishes.Special Features:
- End of Summer Menu?lunchgirlVIPDined on 9/23/2014We were disappointed in our dinner Tuesday evening. My husband started with the crabcake appetizer and there was more filler than crab - looked like canned crab and there wasn't a lump of crab in the whole crabcake. I ordered foie gras, which was overcooked to the point where I needed to chew it! The staff was excellent and offered me another piece, which I declined since I had eaten it anyway and more would have been too much. My main was the flat iron steak which was, although flavorful, also cooked to more than the medium-rare I had requested. My husband's lamb loin looked as it if had been microwaved just before serving, with that strange look that you get when you slice meat thin, and someone asks that it be cooked a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut Hill GemlawthomasDined on 9/21/2014The food and service were wonderful and beyond compare. Even though the restaurant is BYOL, they provide set-ups and a state liquor is just a couple of doors away.Special Features:
- Always a favorite BYOB !RobinDined on 9/19/2014When we decided to celebrate a friend's reloc to GA, she requested a visit to Heirloom...we had visited before and really love the place. It's small and intimate, and the atmosphere and food are wonderful. This time, they featured ostrich on the menu...one of my friends was terribly curious about it. She asked for a sample for us and the Chef obliged...out came a taste for our table of ostrich (served carpachio style)...It didn't turn out to be something we would ever order, but I thought it was super that the Chef allowed us to sample it. The scallops I ordered were to die for, we also all got the shrimp and crab chopped salad (beautiful and tastefully dressed), another got the lamb, which she gave rave reviews.Special Features:
- Was better the last few timesMurph612Dined on 9/19/2014Walking into a restaurant, you don't want to see the people who prepare your food all outside smoking as you walk in the door. It was rather dirty. When one of them is obviously checking out your wife, it makes it all the worst. The food was good, but after ordering an appetizer, dinner, and dessert, I was still not full. On the positive side, the server was outstanding, but with all the places to eat in the area, I'm taking my wife and my business elsewhere.
- consistently excellentifischerDined on 9/16/2014Local food prepared in a presentation and taste that let you appreciate the quality of neighborhood restaurants at par with anything at Center City. Service is attentive and they remember you and let you feel at home. I come with my family and with university guests that arrive for seminars. It is a "special occasion" at affordable prices and...bybo from the wine store next door. What else do you want?Special Features:
- Good fresh foodHmg1229Dined on 9/13/2014Heirloom has a nice menu with good ingredients I enjoyed the pecan snapper very much Service was good but nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the foodJW60Dined on 9/12/2014We had a party of 10 fora birthday on Saturday night. Everyone's food was excellent. The service was okay but a little slow. The room is what needs improvement. It's pretty tight in there. But it's still worth the trip for excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Birthday Favorite!NewZagats2VIPDined on 9/11/2014Went to this restaurant to celebrate my birthday several times! It is Fantastic! We went here after a funeral and the food is so good, it lifted me right up! Put the smile back on my face! Chef came out to say hello, and he said he was so happy to see my smile for how much I enjoyed his food and it made BOTH of our days!! :-) Thank You Chef!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent diner at heirloomTravelingFoodieDined on 9/9/2014Chef Al Paris has done it again. An outstanding variety of seasonal local starters and entrees. Highly recommend the smoked salmon pastrami which is a great if smallish starter. Really can't go wrong with any of the meat or fish entrees either. We are very lucky to have heirloom in chestnut hillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique flavorsFoodDocDined on 9/3/2014The menu was very creative and we ordered all appetizers. Unique flavors, interesting combinations and beautifully presented dishes were delightful! The staff was very knowledgeable and attentive. Highly recommend for anyone who enjoys fresh food expertly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Philly restaurant!LenventionDined on 8/30/2014Heirloom has become my favorite Philadelphia restaurant. The food is always beyound perfection. I love that I can order anything on the menu, even stuff I would avoid anyplace else, and, upon the first taste, realise how wonderful that particular dish can actually be. Give it a try yourself... Go to Heirloom and try something you never thought you would order in a million years. I play this game with myself every time I go. It is always a wonderful and tasty surprise! BTW, the catfish and the red snapper are both amazing. EVERYTHING on the menu is amazing. GO! Tasting is believing. OK, the wait staff generally seems a just bit overwhelmed. But it is simply a matter of, perhaps, one to few waiters and one to many tables. No big deal.Special Features:
- Family Holiday GatheringGKW2020Dined on 8/29/2014Great restaurant. Staff was casual yet attentive and personal. We had a few minor food glitches and they were rectified immediately and we had a nice visit from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at HeirloomSharonDined on 8/27/2014We have been at Heirloom many times since it opened about 2 years ago. We brought two friends who had not been to Heirloom before, and they loved it too. Quality of food is consistently excellent, and I especially love the seasonal menus, so selections are always changing. The staff is always attentive and friendly. This a BYOB, but don't worry if you forget to bring wine. There is a newly-renovated Wine and Spirits Shop right next door. Plenty of parking in a lot behind the restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014The cauliflower steak dinner was all veg and to die for. Beautiful from plating to eating. We had been to Heirloom before and didn't like the overly solicitousness of the waitperson's script ("Welcome to Heirloom! Have you dined with us before?" etc etc) but this time the service was just to the point. All good!Special Features:
- I would highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Food was great. Conversation with sous chef was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good portions are smallKibriniVIPDined on 8/24/2014I ate here for dinner recently and the food was so good I made reservations for brunch with my family. The portions were so small that we left and went to my house to eat afterwards. The prices are too high for the portions to be so small. The ambiance is nice and the service is good. I may come back for dinner, but not for brunch.
- Always a Birthday Favorite!1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 8/23/2014They are the best restaurant for a special dinner, birthday dinner, intimate gourmet, fine quality and the menu changes seasonally! I love the hostesses and the servers and chef does an amazing job!! NY quality without the drive up there! Thank YOU, Heirloom, for making my birthday so SPECIAL !!!! :-) Blessings to you all from yesterday, with love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.