Heirloom - New Haven
1157 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06511Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Heirloom - New Haven
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.heirloomnewhaven.com/
- Phone: 2035033919x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7am - 10am Everyday
Lunch: Mon - Fri: 11am - 2pm
Brunch: Sat & Sun: 11am - 2pm
Dinner: 5:30pm - Close & Late Night (Friday & Saturday)
Bar & Lounge Dining: All Day & Late Night
In Room Dining: Beginning at 7am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carey Savona
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Heirloom and The Study at Yale Hotel are available for private events, offsite catered events and catered pick-up with multiple spaces and venues to choose from. Private event inquiries please contact the Catering and Events Department at 203 503 3928 and for general Heirloom information call 203 503 3919.
- Special Events: Several events throughout the year including Yale Commencement Celebration, Holiday Dining and Private Parties and New Haven Restaurant Weeks.
A word from Heirloom - New Haven
A Farm Coastal Restaurant located inside the Study at Yale Hotel on Chapel Street at the heart of Yale University Campus in New Haven, CT. Our friends, farmers & growers in Connecticut, New England & beyond supply us with heritage ingredients showcasing the farm & coastal bounty, integral to American Heirloom Cooking.Continued
Our wine collection includes wines from Italy, Spain, France, Australia, Germany, South Africa and the United States. Our wine choices are eclectic and distinctive with a focus on value and boutique labels as well as Sustainable, Organic and Bio dynamic selections.
Inviting warmth and hospitality, local-heartfelt fare; eclectic wines and cocktails and a commitment to honest service and value are paramount to the Heirloom experience.
Inviting warmth and hospitality, local-heartfelt fare; eclectic wines and cocktails and a commitment to honest service and value are paramount to the Heirloom experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Heirloom - New Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)special occasion (28)great for brunch (21)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Our suburban book club recently had dinner here as a special urban night out. We had a great time! The kale salad was a highlight as were all the seafood entrees. The crudité presentation was novel and delicious as was the crusty bread with horseradish spread. Service was great. Only complaints were the acoustics are loud and on our particular night the AC wasn't working. Made for a warm night for the bunch of us. Lots of laughs. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodMarleyVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a "hotel restaurant" but you wouldn't know it. We always enjoy dining here when visiting New Haven and staying at the Study.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Heirloom experienceJleiboVIPDined on 8/20/2014We go to this restaurant 5-6 times a year and it is consistently excellent. The food options are always different, locally sourced and interesting. It is also nice to have the free valet parking when you are going out in a city. You never have to worry about finding a parking space.Special Features:
- great foodlidoandwinkieDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful egg white frittata. Amazing home made donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSarawelderDined on 8/15/2014As we were seated I ordered a glass of wine . I ordered a half chicken dish. We did get bread and a very small amount of olive oil . No wine. After almost an hour I called the waiter over to see what was the problem... Others had been seated later and already had food. Re the chicken..."it takes a long time" Well, I would expect to be warned if anything was going to take an hour! When the chicken came, it looked like it had been pan fried...that could never take an hour! It was OK but I was so full of bread by then that I could not finish it. Nothing special about it.We were offered free desserts to make up for the wait. We accepted that but the dessert was too sweet with no nuance of flavor.The restaurant was cold, so dress accordingly.
- Trendy brunchVoilaDined on 8/3/2014Looking for a reservation for brunch in New Haven, I did not find many options. Fortunately there is Heirloom. It is the type of place you would expect in NYC and a nice addition to New Haven. The ambiance was perfect for having a conversation with friends. Service was attentive and food was good. We were catching up with friends and did not feel rushedSpecial Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food is amazing, the wine list is quite unique and loaded with gems. Everything on the menu is intriguing. We started things off with a delicious roasted squid, then my better half had the risotto, I had the roasted chicken. Could have tried everything, as it was so appealing. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- terberDined on 7/30/2014Have been there 2 weeks in a row for dinner, the first week had a fabulous meal and great service, this past week the food was terrible and I ordered the same main course...hmmm. Our service, however was great. I don't like being rushed and have never felt rushed for any meal that I've had there. Have always been happy there except for this past meal. Brunch is fabulous! Also love the fact that their menu changes seasonally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the heart of New HavenAnudawnDined on 7/24/2014Heirloom restaurant is not to be missed if you are traveling to New Haven, CT. Steps away from Yale University with a menu to please all. I thoroughly enjoyed this return visit to Heirloom. Baked Clams, Kale Salad and the Bass special were all wonderful. I cannot wait for my next visit to New Haven. Stop by and you will see what I mean. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Wonderful farm to table cuisinewfoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2014We went for brunch, and was so impressed with the quality and innovativeness of the cuisine. The service, however, could have been more attentive, but probably had too many tables. The servers were very sweet and tried to do their best. We highly recommend this wonderful restaurant, and look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBengDined on 7/18/2014We typically go to Heirloom for brunch, but decided on a whim to try it for dinner. It did not disappoint. Food was interesting and delicious; service was impeccable; and the atmosphere was lively yet relaxed.Special Features:
- Bring your woolies!GoodFoodloverDined on 7/18/2014While food was terrific, it was uncomfortably COLD while wearing a sweater - waiter was up front to say that they had no control over temperature.Special Features:
- amazing food, terrible serviceLydia73VIPDined on 7/18/2014Even though the dining room is large and has several separate dining areas, the hostess seated my mother and I directly next to a table of 6-8 women who were drinking wine with lunch and who, at one point, sang camp songs together. Our waiter/waitress never arrived--we sat at our table listening to the drunk women sing--for 10+ minutes. We finally asked the waiter helping the drunk women if he was our waiter, he said no but he took our order and then helped us a few more times. If we had a waitstaff member assigned to us, s/he never helped us (maybe it was the woman who brought the check?). Thankfully, the food was amazing. Frankly, if the menu wasn't so good, we would have left while waiting for waiter and dealing with drunk women.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualSuzanneVIPDined on 7/15/2014We have dined here on numerous occasions and have not been disappointed so we returned. It was another great meal and good service. We were disappointed not to see the duck fois gras meatballs that were featured on their web based menu but were told they change their menu so much since it is based largely on seasonal and local ingredients and the waitress apologized. In it's place we received a complimentary serving of some liver pate that was awesome...nice touch!! The maitre d' was quite helpful in answering questiosn regarding a wine selection as well. Too bad we were too full to look at the dessert menu or after dinner offerings!!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseCTFLSnobirdDined on 7/11/2014I do a lot of business travel and generally do my best to avoid hotel restaurants. However, knowing that The Study has a nice wine bar, I had been eager to try the Heirloom. We all enjoyed the evening and the food. The restaurant itself is designed similarly to the boutique hotel and the menu which seemed too straight forward had good choices for both the carnivores and the vegivores. Good wine as expected.Special Features:
- Not a good night for HeirloomWhyAlwaysDorotheaVIPDined on 7/6/2014We've been to Heirloom dozens and dozens of times, in small groups and in large parties, and the food is always reliable there. Last Sunday night however it took a long time to get the food out of the kitchen. The place was not overcrowded. We had had substantial appetizers, so we weren't starving, but the delay was still irksome and unexplained -- we ordered nothing fancy or off-menu. It makes me wonder whether it was just an off-night in the kitchen, or whether they are understaffed in the summer or what. The food was good when it came, but we had waited too long for it to enjoy it as much as we would have, had it been brought out promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to New HavenMandMDined on 7/5/2014Had a wonderful dinner here. Nice menu selection for anyone's taste. Beautifully Prepared and presented. Service was excellent and not rushed. Some of the reviews were to the contrary. I did not find that so. I also liked the blackboard list of vendors . I felt that great care was taken to provide fine ingredients .The one issue is that if you are allergic to peanuts tell them. Many dishes were either prepared with or garnished with them. I personally do not have an allergy to them, but it could definitely be problematic for someone who is unaware. There was a nut statement on the menu in small print however. Would absolutely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, terrible serviceMarjieDined on 6/26/2014I've eaten at Heirloom for years and each time struggled to return following truly exceptional food served equally exceptionally slowly. An intended short meal for two turned into a three hour affair, that we simply didn't enjoy by the end.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!LordHeezusDined on 6/25/2014Great Staff, Great Food and a Great Setting!!!! Well done all around and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven and disappointingMarjoVIPDined on 6/24/2014My husband and I stayed at The Study and, as the restaurant is conveniently located in the hotel, we had lunch and dinner there. Lunch was impressive. Good wine and delicious, fresh, innovative food. Service was friendly and attentive. We were quite pleased. Dinner was a different story, however. The restaurant was busy and noisy. Service was slow and inattentive. My husband ordered short ribs and I, the ricotta gnocchi. The ribs were delicious. But, I had to send the gnocchi back. They were hard as rocks--ice cold. Obviously not cooked, seemingly thrown on a plate, with a skimpy sauce. When I informed the waiter he didn't seem surprised and invited me to reorder. I chose the kale salad which was just ok. What a letdown!
- Good but could use improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2014We like the ambience except at dinner when it is too dim. If the restaurant if providing flashlights to the guests to read the menu why not raise the lighting level even a little? The food is pretty good for New Haven, but both the food and service could use much improvement: the food is often too salty and some dishes are served on wooden boards which are completely impractical for eating on (food falls off entirely). Other dishes are not served on functional dishes as well. The service can be extremely slow- very unpredictable. We have received a complimentary dish in the past to compensate for the service, but we prefer better service! Also, the waitstaff should wait until all diners have finished eating before taking away plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sooo Good!Morganza4Dined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful meal and an outstanding server. Everyone in our party of four was extremely pleased with their meal which far exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodloverDined on 6/11/2014Too noisy !! Server did not have answers to the list of hard liquors and took a long time to return with the names/choicesSpecial Features:
- A wonderful experienceAustinVIPDined on 6/3/2014We dined at Heirloom on Tuesday, 6/3, after traveling in from Austin, TX, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The restaurant had a warm feel and our server was very friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding. The ingredients were fresh, and the presentations were beautiful. The chef provided us with several delicious sides to compliment our entrees, and a dessert trio that was awesome. We would definitely recommend Heirloom and hope to have an opportunity to dine here again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigTastyDined on 6/1/2014Very good to outstanding food. Wide variety for brunch. Service was slow and it seemed we were forgotten. We had a large party w/ children and waiter did not seem comfortable. Would give it another shot based on excellent banana foster french toast. Is it dessert or breakfast? Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond DisappointedFoodie234Dined on 5/24/2014The service was probably the worst I've ever experienced. Someone asked if we wanted something to drink, we said yes and then it took forever to get it (it was just coffee!). Getting food wasn't any faster. The place was only about 10% full so I just don't understand that. Then, the food order was wrong. All in all, just a very disappointing experience. Won't be going back.
- Better in the pastshelby67bigVIPDined on 5/11/2014Made reservation for 7:30pm Sunday night but made to sit in bar when arrived. Service was not as good in bar as when we had been there previously. Less inclined to return.
- Unforgettable BrunchLAStamfordVIPDined on 5/11/2014We went there for Mother's day brunch, so the noise level was probably higher than usual.The food was consistently excellent, as was the service. The caramel apple doughnuts might have been the best I've ever tasted, and the truffled ricotta was heady. We did a great deal of tasting from each other's plates because everything was so delicious – the pastrami and eggs, the lobster mac & cheese, the hanger steak and eggs...even my 9-year-old's grilled cheese with smoked tomato soup was great. I'll be going back for dinner soon and will consider this a regular special occasion stop.Special Features:
- great foodjcassettariDined on 5/9/2014Ordered a bottle of Champagne, the seafood tower, and the strip steak. Food and drinks were great, as usual. Atmosphere was nice and relaxing. Service was so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but Niceeat2liveVIPDined on 5/9/2014Food was fresh and wonderful, but not much choice for our vegan son. Service was slow. We waited quite a while to get a glass of wine and order. Quantity of the dishes was plentiful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow but sureFoodwoodDined on 5/9/2014Ordered the chopped salad with salmon on top. was a while in coming (more than 45 minutes after we arrived). Howecer salmon was delicious. Chopped salad a little too chopped and missing a few of the advertised ingredients.Special Features:
- The following 507 reviews are from the Heirloom - New Haven reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014The Bouillabaisse (seafood stew) is divine. The warm pecan desert with the pretzel crust is delicious. All of the food is excellent. we have not been disappointed yet. The noise level is a bit loud. Our last waiter was terrible.Special Features:
- Definitely worth a try.JoJoDined on 4/25/2014The service here is second to none. I'll admit the food is a bit pricy for New Haven but the chef has some great ideas and I for one enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Underwhelming foodFoodloverDined on 4/20/2014Portion size is appropriate, sides are overpriced and underwhelming. Swordfish steak was a bit over cooked, whole Bass fish was too salty and too many herbs Too many herbs on just about everything Lamb Ragu was good great service, very pretty atmosphereSpecial Features:
- too noisy, server disappearedDinerdeeDined on 4/12/2014A couple of friends recommended the restaurant to us. The night started out well with a server full of cheer and a vibrant atmosphere. I don't mind a certain level of chatter as a backdrop to table conversation but I had to strain to be heard just across the table. Annoying. The initially pleasant server disappeared for 15 minutes towards the end of the meal, that moment where everyone is like "we're done, let's pay and get outta here." Again, annoying and frustrating. The food was good contemporary cuisine, nothing special. Fina fare.Special Features:
- Great place!DanielleDined on 4/10/2014This is a fantastic restaurant with a good drink menu - a good variety of beer, wine, and cocktails. The food is always amazing. The service is great as well. I have loved every meal I've had here. I always recommend this to friends looking for a great meal. The only downside is that it's a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant lunchcatpDined on 4/9/2014Went for restaurant week and the selection was very limited. I enjoyed the kale salad with cherries and my husband enjoyed the smoked tomato soup. Interesting menu. Pleasant ambiance.
- Restaurant week winsunshynDined on 4/6/2014We had never been to Heirloom before, so when restaurant week came around, we decided to explore. It was a success! The four of us split the restaurant week menu, and were pleased by the variety of dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous Birthday CelebrationsunsoutgunsoutDined on 4/5/2014I had my second meal at your restaurant on April 6th. It was, as it was the first time, outstanding. We had a great time and the service was spectacular. Rob is an excellent employee worthy of accolades. The food was great as well as the wine selection, and I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate my birthday. I can't wait to come back, and thank you!Special Features:
- Good Bloody MarysnickieDined on 4/5/2014Great place for brunch before matinee at Yale Repertory theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.