2500 Folsom St
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.heirloom-sf.com/
- Phone: 4158212500x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00 Am - 2:00 Pm; Lunch: Friday: 12:00 Pm - 2:00 Pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00 Pm - 10:00 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian
- Executive Chef: Matt Straus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Heirloom dining room seats up to 48 people, and the restaurant is available for full or partial buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Matt 4158212500x
A word from Heirloom Cafe
Heirloom Cafe is an intimate restaurant with first-quality, day-fresh cuisine and a wine list full of the world's greatest wines, young and old. We're pleased to offer our food and wine and great service at very reasonable prices, and in a very comfortable and simple setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Heirloom Cafe - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Heirloom Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (79)notable wine list (49)special occasion (37)romantic (35)good for groups (24)hot spot (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014Wonderful food, service, and ambiance. Fresh quality ingredients. Loved the bacon onion tart, scallops, steak, and pasta. A big hit with everyone at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great farm to table menualexVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very fresh ingredients and inspiring menu. Everything was so good. This is a small restaurant but great for groups as they have a community tables. However we were a party of 3 and had to share it with another group. Not private enough for a romantic dinner or special occasion but great with friends! I'm looking forward to their fall menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodart53Dined on 8/9/2014Most of the dishes we tried were outstanding (especially the tomato/fennel/feta salad and the spigarello). Service was very good. Charming little neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritestoddxVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wine, delicious food, friendly staff, flickering lights, and did I mention the wine? It's so good that I kind of want to tell you to stay away so I can keep it all for myself. But, that's greedy and bad for Heirloom Cafe, so come, enjoy, and be merry. Just save me a seat at your table.Special Features:
- UniquejoefireDined on 8/5/2014Food is unique in its quality and simplicity, wine is unique in the manner it complements the food and drives the menu, service is unique in its sensitivity to the customer and its lack of pretence - loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful secretOaklandfoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014The pasta is always outstanding. The bavette steak and the scallops are both memorable. Great selection of moderately priced wines by the glass. The lighting could improved to make it a little cozier, but the service and the food are so good that it's hard to stay away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hit and a missExchicagoanVIPDined on 8/1/2014Really enjoyed the food, but service and ambience details can be improved. Chair upholstery was old and uncomfortable, and acoustics for a small location made it necessary to talk loudly--not what you want to do at a communal table. Server brought a complimentary olive and almond appetizer but no plates or anything else to deposit olive pits. People stood behind our chairs waiting for us to leave, which the hostess should have prevented. Expected better for. A SF restaurant .
- margieDined on 8/1/2014We thought the food was excellent. I think they could give more attention to the wine list.Special Features:
- Love, love itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Authentic friendliness, delicious seasonal food, warm inviting space. Exterior doesn't prepare you for how great the dining room/bar is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/28/2014I love this place. The menu is compact but interesting. The flavors are bright and balanced. The ingredients fresh and novel. The ambiance is perfect for those who love food but aren't in need of a scene. The service is always solid with the waitstaff being attentive and very knowledgeable about the food and wine.
- More than a newghborhood gemJenTVIPDined on 7/28/2014Heirloom Cafe offers creative and flavorful dishes in the new American style at affordable prices. The wine list is interesting, being composed mostly of foreign wines, but wines chosen to pair well with food. Service by the hostess left much to be desired, but the wait staff and attention by the owner made up for that. The restaurant feels like dining in someones Victorian home and is located in a quiet neighborhood. I'll definitely keep returning to Heirloom Cafe.Special Features:
- Best mealJanaDined on 7/23/2014Every time I eat here I'm always blown away by how delicious the food is. This is a great spot for date nights and for foodies.Special Features:
- megkDined on 7/21/2014The best dinner EVER - fresh farm-to-table food, perfectly cooked steak and excellent wine list.Special Features:
- Lovely, lovely!MsueDined on 7/18/2014What a treat! A very special restaurant in a cute setting with tasty food and good service. We enjoyed our dining experience very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 7/14/2014Always friendly with imaginative taste pairings. The burrata -- to die for ! Too they aren't open on Sunday our normal Dining out nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2014Comfortable, cool atmosphere to this gem of a restaurant. It is under-stated and hard to find since it is a renovated first floor of a house. The food is excellent and the staff are great.Special Features:
- WcoughtryDined on 7/1/2014Delicious, warm, friendly and quaint. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Wonderful FindgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/30/2014I honestly rarely go to Bernal Heights but it was sooo worth it. Heirloom Café was a total delight. The food was fantastic and the service was really friendly. The menu is not extensive but sometimes I like that better ...narrows the decision making and you get to depend on the chef to serve his/her best. It's homey and light and really a treat. Completely worth the hunt for parking (the only downside)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014Fabulous, fresh, consistent food. Lovely service. Great wine list. Wonderful reasonably priced price fixe dinner too with wine pairings (makes for a fun dining experience). I'll keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious perfectionzukefreshVIPDined on 6/20/2014Heirloom is a rare gem in SF. Yes, it's pretty expensive. Yes, the food has unusual ingredients. But the small menu is well crafted and approachable, and the preparation is simply superb. The dining room is inviting and decorated perfectly and tastefully.Special Features:
- Heirloom impresses againchoombDined on 6/20/2014As usual, Heirloom was terrific. Three course menu with wine pairing guaranteed to please. Food is simple but elegant and nicely portioned.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and pretentiousMel08Dined on 6/17/2014While food was be very good, the price for the scallop dish which was doubled in both quantity and price was a real disappointment. While the food was delicious,paying over a hundred dollars for just four entrees was ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A casual gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2014The food was outstanding, but the noise level was over the top. I'd still recommend Heirloom to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/10/2014Amazing dinner for my friends birthday with 12 people!Special Features:
- Elegant and subtleInTheBizEasy2PleaseDined on 5/27/2014Beautifully prepared food, without any of the fussiness or pretension that characterizes so many SF restaurants. Bacon and onion tart was classic and perfect, with a delicate, buttery crust and deeply caramelized onions. Lamb pappardelle with silky pasta was decadent but tastefully executed. Great wine list. Really great, and reasonably priced, too. The glass of '90 Corison Cabernet was a nice touch. I mean, who pours 2 decade old Napa Cab by the glass from magnum? Heirloom Cafe has my highest recommendation, and they didn't even take all my $.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be Back to HeirloomPetitAppetitVIPDined on 5/24/2014Dined here for the first time and will be back. Can't stop thinking about the dessert of ginger ice cream and nectarine and rhubarb cobbler. I liked how flexible the course dinner was presented and all dishes can be ordered a-la-cart. Next time would order bottles of wine (there were 4 of us). The wine by the glasses add up quickly. While the server was nice and relaxed he also admitted to eating pretty much anything and couldn't really recommend dishes. Felt like we were dining at a friends' house. Very comfortable and not as loud as I would have thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!EllenVIPDined on 5/16/2014The Heriloom Cafe came highly recommended to me. I made a reservation long in advance in order to get in. We were visiting San Francisco and wanted to try one of the favorite restaurants there. We were not disappointed. I look forward to going back when we are in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding dining experienceMulcaheyVIPDined on 5/14/2014It was only my second time at Heirloom Café, but I feel confident saying you'll have a hard time finding a better casual dining experience locally. The menu, creativity, freshness, and presentation of the food are on a par with, say, Frances (to name a place probably better known), and there's a wisdom and depth to the wine selections that's invigorating, almost shocking. I always think the excellence of a kitchen is reflected in its respect and affection for the commonest vegetables, and Heirloom Café shines in this regard too. Honestly? I'd dine here every night if I could afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/12/2014Heirloom is one of my favorite SF restaurants. I don't go there nearly enough. The beautiful food, curated wine, comfortable atmosphere, friendly help, and attentive owner Matt Straus all combine to make for an authentic and rich experience. Recommended always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt!SFFranciscanDined on 5/12/2014We were really looking forward to our second visit to the Heirloom Cafe, and had planned a wonderful birthday celebration. Our first visit, four months ago, had been excellent. But the food was so over salted this time that we left very disappointed. The halibut in particular was salted beyond anything I've ever tasted in San Francisco in 25 years of dining. Hard to believe; clearly the chef was gone from our first visit. Sadly, our waiter was simply disinterested and never checked on us after the food arrived. Just a fiasco all around.
- A Fantastic Brunch!KatDirkDined on 5/11/2014Brunch for 6 at Heirloom was fantastic. Every dish was delicious. One member of our party had a very restricted diet and Heirloom happily accommodated her needs. Friendly staff, lovely restaurant. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic & Fresh in the MissionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2014Pleasantly surprised by this off the beaten path gastronomic gem. Everything ordered was fresh and delicious. The burrata starter was creamy, the fennel salad lightly seasoned and abundant. As for the mains, the halibut had a nice sear and cooked perfectly. The duck was tasty but served a little cold for my taste, however the polenta made of fresh corn was a delightful surprise. The olive oil cake for dessert was a little dry but flavorful. This restaurant has a very impressive wine list and features some not often seen varietals. Service was five stars. Side note: the owner, Matt Strauss, wrote a great critique of the movie "Somm" which was spot on. Actually that review was the main reason for my visit and I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovrly but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/7/2014Your price characteristic on open Table way under sold the real cost. I really enjoyed, but it was $420 for 6 with wine total at $98. Not what I was expectingSpecial Features:
- Lovely staff and food to matchNeighborhood101Dined on 5/1/2014The whole experience was great from the moment you enter. The food is excellent and beautifully presented. The wine choices are excellent. I love this place, it is a treasure in the neighborhood. It is a lovely restaurant with a simple but very elegant decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still engaging after a yearseriousnosherDined on 4/30/2014Returning to Heirloom Café after a year brought with it some apprehension - would it be as enjoyable as our visit in 2013, could the performance re food and service then be matched? The answer, Yes, thank goodness. The same quality of service and interesting menu, with a very enjoyable three-course prix fixe offering which presented excellent ingredients. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant, despite being quite busy. The only quibble, and it is just a quibble, is that the restaurant can get noisy when there is a large, enthusiastic group present. Otherwise, a very enjoyable evening and we will go back.Special Features:
- A true delightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Very simple decor, terrific service. The food was absolutely excellent. Appetizer was burrata on asparagus, main courses were epoise-filled burger and scallops. Mouth-watering. Everything was done to perfection. Hard to believe it's in this simple, Mission District neighborhood, but it is so worth the trip!Special Features:
- The following 403 reviews are from the Heirloom Cafe reviews archive.
- long wait with reservationfleurDined on 4/16/2014Good, but despite a reservation waited for 40 minutes to be seatedVery charming, lovely date spot but was a little disappointed that I had to wait so long despite my open Table reservation.Special Features:
- Delicious but a bit priceyjamienicoledeanVIPDined on 4/14/2014Everything we ordered was great and the restaurant had a great atmosphere. Small(ish) plates, which was actually good because we didn't end up with leftovers. It was a bit expensive for a dinner for two, which would be the only downside. $110 - one drink each, two appetizers, one main, one side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Restaurant in SFSFwinoVIPDined on 4/10/2014Heirloom ranks in top 3 fav restaurants in sf. Visited mid week and had a perfectly prepared, delicious three course meal with pairings. Not stuffy or pretentious, Heirloom truly encourages enjoyment of the food and wine. The staff all around is super helpful, friendly, and glad to serve. Heirloom is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing ordinary about this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2014We, a birthday group of 8, ordered just about everything on the menu and each dish met with oohs and ahs from the table. Excellent service, relaxed pace. Extensive wine list and we were very pleased with our choice. Can't wait for the next occasion to go there.Special Features: