Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
3530 Country Road 83
Tabernash, CO 80478Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.devilsthumbranch.com/
- Phone: 9707267002
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
HECK’S - a.k.a. “Hex” - a six sided shape with equidistant lengths, relatively concentric with a center point. That’s the definition. Here’s the history.... The hexagonal room that houses Heck's is a replication of a room in one of our country’s national monuments, The Timberline Lodge located at the base of Mt. Hood, Oregon. We visited the Timberline Lodge in 1999, about the same time we contracted to purchase the Ranch. Taken by the sheer expanse and natural beauty of the hex room at Timberline, we felt there were few buildings that built today with that type of grand and inspiring craftsmanship. After that visit, including a hexagonal room as a centerpiece became the focus in planning the Lodge here at Devil’s Thumb Ranch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (5)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- David is a super waiter!snowblazeDined on 7/19/2014David is a super waiter! He's friendly, funny, and attentive. We always ask for him. (I'm sure he's "thrilled".)Special Features:
- Great food and amazing viewShelTVIPDined on 7/12/2014You would be hard pressed to find a more spectacular view for your dining experience. Food was great. We had a party of four and all of our items were great. I had a cod special with truffle mash potatoes and roasted heirloom tomatoes which was outstanding. Also tasted the risotto which was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great views and foodCarylWDined on 7/5/2014I would highly recommend Heck's restaurant. The atmosphere is comfortable, the view is amazing, and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/3/2014Heck's is a decent hotel restaurant. The food isn't great for the price you pay. It's not bad, just not great! The views from the large windows are beautiful.
- Never disappointsSingingRickDined on 6/30/2014Celebrated our 30th with incredible mountain views, amazing grand hexagon hall, outstanding food......and Heck's is not their top restaurant (Ranch House is) at Devil's Thumb Ranch. Fun watching all the families cooking smores out on the patio by the fire. Check the menu's on-line to get a game plan.Special Features:
- happy hourGhinnyDined on 6/19/2014Great discounted beer and wine, tasty small plates, outstanding mussels,could fill up on appetizers, but nice looking dinner menu as well.Special Features:
- MountainMamaDined on 6/15/2014The service that turned us off the most. There seemed to be enough servers and staff there, but was disorganized. Each time our waitress came around to take drink, food, and dessert orders - she didnt get everyones order each time. No ones food came out at the same time. After she forgot to get everyones dessert order, we flagged another waiter to finish the order, and he said to us "I'm not your waiter". Seemed that no one was paying attention to the flow coming out of the kitchen. The food was not terrible, but was not worth the money we paid for it. For such a gorgeous place and lovely atmosphere, and high priced meals, we expected a lot more in terms of quality and service. Best part was the kids being able to roast marshmallows.Special Features:
- Great food, view, and serviceAndreaDined on 5/3/2014It's mud season, so there were no crowds. Just a big group of teenagers enjoying prom night (but not noisy). We were staying at the hotel so this was a much better option than driving into one of the towns. On the pricey side ($14-28 entrees), but very good quality. There were several families with small children, so I wouldn't mind bringing my toddler here next time. Had well-made cocktails at the bar before dinner. My pork was tender and delicious, and served with greens and very rich and creamy grits. Instead of dessert, we opted for s'mores outside at the big fire pit. Had a nice time - so nice we came for breakfast the next morning which was also great. Lavazza coffee!Special Features:
- Great decor; mediocre food, servicebeentheredonethatDined on 4/19/2014Went to Heck's on a weekend night. The restaurant was full; the staff overworked. Kids of haggard-looking parents were jumpy and loud because they were bored and hungry, waiting for food to arrive. It took two requests to get bread, and by the time the waiter finally came to take our drink order, we were anxious to order our food, too. When the food arrived, the mussels were overcooked and the vegetarian pot pie bland (maybe I should have known better than order that, but what I had originally ordered was sold out that night already.) As locals, we've given Heck's several chances, but will not return unless the menu changes. Heck's bar area, however, looked lively and fun. Eat at Devil's Thumb stellar Ranch House Restaurant instead!Special Features:
- Quiet, Delish and Fabulous View!DHSrrd2005Dined on 4/17/2014My experience dinning at Heck's, which is quite a spectacle when first walking in with a 3 Fireplace hexagon centered in the dining room, was more than expected! Not only did I enjoy a wonderful breakfast menu with an eclectic selection of breakfast fare, but was greeted promptly with smiling faces. The manager was a pleasure when he stopped by the table. I enjoyed hearing his passion regarding the resort after only being on team for a couple of months from what I recall. He knew a lot about the ranch and was able to offer many suggestions in the area as I am visiting for a week. The server (name began with a K) was especially hospitable and knowledgeable. I loved the décor and rustic yet casual dining. Looking forward to next time!!!Special Features:
- The following 134 reviews are from the Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch reviews archive.
- I love HecksCathyGDined on 3/24/2014The food is always wonderful, you can't beat the view, and they have the best sausage I've ever had. Service was so-so this trip but usually it's very good. The chai tea was also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great foodThechampionVIPDined on 3/10/2014First, the waitress assumed that because we ordered a happy hour appetizer that we didn't want dinner. She was absent much of the time. As far as the food goes, the grilled flatbread was a cracker that was flimsy and the mussels were horrible. The mami mahi and basmati rice were dry, the roasted cauliflower was weird; how can you mess that up? The fries were too spicy as was a cocktail I ordered. On a positive note, my husband liked his steak and the chocolate tarts were delish. I also had a good glass of wine. In summary, go for the apre ski happy hour and have a drink then have dinner elsewhere…but take a chocolate torte to go!Special Features:
- We ate at Heck's three timesJoa1Dined on 2/28/2014We ate at Heck's three times during our stay. Each time the food was excellent. Thank you for a great experience at Heck's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!FrankVIPDined on 2/22/2014We are frequent visitors to Heck's. Always great fun and great food!Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant with viewscleonDined on 2/16/2014The waitress was a bit slow to come around, and several times we had to ask a busboy to find her, but she was very friendly and helpful. Possibly just spread too thin. Very nice décor and ambience, with beautiful views of the range through large paned windows, with a large pit fire just outside. Really an unmatched idyllic setting for the area in my opinion. Our only real issue was the lack of decent vegetarian options. The choices were a pot pie dish, that was mostly stock and some root vegetables, or a cheesy risotto with similarly limited nutritional content. It is not unusual to find a very limited imagination when it comes to actually nutritious vegetarian meals, but we still sometimes have hope at the higher end resorts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, bad serviceKimberlyDined on 2/15/2014Everything from the rude hostess, to our horrible server to overcooked food was less than enjoyable. The server's sleeve went in my food two times while she "excused her reach."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Costly & Understaffed, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/15/2014Service was terrible. Has been bad service the last several times we have gone for dinner. They are understaffed so lighter times such as lunch is OK. Very expensive for aweful service. Some tables were waiting 45 minutes just to get their drinks and desperate patrons going to bar to ask for some bread and still waiting crazy amount of time just to get a slice of bread.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Dining Experiencegpb324Dined on 2/8/2014We've eaten at Heck's many times, and have always had an enjoyable dining experience. The service from the courteous, friendly wait staff was excellent and the food was outstanding. We also recommend the happy hour from 4-6 pm Sunday thru Thursday with incredible beer and wine specials as well as half-price appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service lacking.SuziDined on 2/6/2014We have eaten at Heck's before and loved it but this time our waitress was spread to thin. She was very good when she could get to the table. We arrived right at the end of Happy Hour and it showed. It took us 30 minutes to get a bottle of wine and then they brought the wrong one and then told us they didn't have the one we asked for after 30 minutes! We will dine at Heck's again but were disappointed this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellentcincinnDined on 1/29/2014The service was excellent and the server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Hidden GemWeeklydiner42Dined on 1/17/2014A beautiful drive to a rustic but classy dining experience. Food is created to savor and you will... Expansive wine list or have a beer and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereJcottDined on 1/10/2014Especially if staying at Devils Thumb, nowhere to have to drive, it is a winter dream...great food, huge fireplace, even a huge outdoor fire if you want s'mores at the end. Just love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and foodSkiguyDined on 1/8/2014The devils thumb ranch was beautiful both inside and out. The architecture of Heck's is amazing. We totally enjoyed our evening! The food and service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heck'sRebeccaDined on 1/2/2014We have dined at Heck's 5 times now. Always had great food and service. Good variety of food and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceblueskyDined on 1/1/2014This is a gorgeous facility with an interesting menu and a kitchen that presents beautiful dishes. But, our entire table was frustrated with the poor service. It was an hour after being seated before we received our food, coffee was never refilled, wait person was nearly completely absent during our meal requiring us to ask other staff for things we needed and, ultimately, even to get our check. After spending $30+ per person on brunch, we expected much more.Special Features:
- Best Place in Grand County!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/31/2013Outstanding entrees. Beautiful scenery. Can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapppointing as UsualExperiencedDinerDined on 12/24/2013There are not many nice places to eat in Grand County, so we go here often. Probably once a month for the past four years. It is a fabulous venue with okay food and spotty service. The staff are generally inexperienced. They are very nice and friendly, but I would gladly put up with a sour waiter instead of an ever-forgetful newbie. The menu is actually pretty good, but the overall experience suffers from bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, as alwaysjeffDined on 12/15/2013We dine at Hecks whenever we're in the area. Love the food, Love the lodge. Love the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colorado Mountain EscapeOmahaDined on 11/23/2013Lovely setting and terrific mountain rustic feel. Clean, open and comfortable. Food is average and service can be sketchy. People are nice and the atmosphere is worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013The restaurant was perfect for it's setting as part of a getaway experience. The food was excellent as was the service and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tripel BirthdaysSunnyDined on 10/19/2013We went to celebrate 3 Birthdays! We enjoyed the appts and wine....then we had full dinners......the moon was rising over the mountains and it was amazing the view! Our server was wonderful! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heck's made a nice day even betterfoodies2Dined on 9/29/2013We were out to see some Fall colors and decided to visit Heck's. It was such a nice experience, great hexagonal room, with a deck that looked out onto meadows and mountains. Our waiter was very attentive and quick to give us information about the room and the rest of the lodge when we asked. Try the wild game chili - good flavors and very hearty. After our ahi tuna salads (by the way, the tuna was prepared perfectly) we took our wine to the patio and relaxed even more. Thanks for a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageRLA1840VIPDined on 9/27/2013We went for a birthday dinner celebration. It was a fun location, but the food wasn't very good. Artichoke appetizer had no flavor and weird texture, ribs were not tender, and there were not enough healthy vegetarian options. Devils Thumb is worth the visit, but not sure about Hecks. Good wine list.Special Features:
- We were served leftoversdbirdcoDined on 9/17/2013My wife and I ate here mid week in September. The food we were served (Wagu Meatloaf and Ribs) had apparently been cooked many days before and warmed up for us. The meatloaf was very dense and flavorless, the ribs were dry and meat free. The restaurant was empty (I assume because it was mid week in the off season). If the items on the menu can't be freshly made during the off season then the menu should be limited to salads and burgers. People dining here in winter or summer seasons might have a much better experience than we did but I thought it was bad enough to write my first review ever.
- Smarter and pricierJulianreviewDined on 8/23/2013Great food and location. Perhaps a little self consciously special. Steak and hose red was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the reviews.DrakeDined on 8/10/2013We had heard so many good things about Heck's and we truly disappointed in our experience. We checked in with the hostess and told her we had a reservation. This was a birthday dinner and we had requested a table with a view when we made our reservation through Open Table. We were seated at the back of the restaurant behind the fire place. Not a great summer view. When we asked to move we were told the open tables were reserved. Hmmmmm....The food was also disappointing. The ribs and the game chili were good and full of flavor but the meat loaf was under seasoned, the double pork chop was under cooked (I like a little pink but not jelly like in the middle), the grilled peaches were severely over cooked and flavorless.Special Features:
- We visited Devil's Thumb forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2013We visited Devil's Thumb for an overnight and had lunch, dinner, and breakfast at Heck's since the big restaurant was closed on Tuesday. Our salad, reuben sandwich, all the small plates, and our breakfasts were delicious! We appreciated having such a fine restaurant with such excellent service right there at the lodge. We'll eat there again when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service & Very Long Waitcr653Dined on 8/5/2013We stayed at Devil's Thumb Ranch for 2 nights.The first night we ordered 3 kids meals to go as we were going to the Ranch House for an adult dinner. It took an hour and a half for them to get us the kids meals, and when they did, they were missing most of the sides we ordered.The next night the group of 9 ate there and had made reservations. When we arrived for our reservation, the hostess politely told us that they had just seated 2 large parties, so to expect a very long wait for our food.We tried to explain that we had kids with us and it's very difficult to wait 2 hours for food with kids. She seated us, however we sat there for 20 minutes without any server even acknowledging us, and finally we had to go ask for a server for our table.
- Overpriced and underwhelmednotafivestardinerDined on 7/27/2013Devils Thumb Resort is an impressive facility and Heck’s Restaurant is well appointed with an expansive scenic view, but I found the meal to be disappointing for the price. The staff was well trained, and the service was excellent considering our waiter was assigned to a twenty-person table shortly after we arrived. The meal was simple faire of a ½ rack of short ribs and a rendition of smoked chicken Bolognese, although carrying a more than “simple” price. The ribs had a delicious barbeque sauce, but were overcooked, and the “smoked chicken” was cubed chicken loaf, again in a delicious sauce, but with a very disappointing texture. I had hoped the scenic view would be complemented by the meal, but in this case the scenery won hands down.Special Features:
- DianeDianeDined on 7/25/2013One word "Excellent". Food and atmosphere go hand in hand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.